Quantcast Plan Our Trip (where to stay) - WARNING, LONG!!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Plan Our Trip (where to stay) - WARNING, LONG!!

Hey, all you Intercotees did such a good job way back in '03 w/ helping plan our Honeymoon, I have decided to ask for your ideas to plan our upcoming trip to the World, Oct. 2009

Thats right, plan the trip with someone else's money!!

I will update one step at a time...Resort questions, then which parks/which days, etc etc...

Important info: @ time of trip - Myself(37), DW(32), DS(4), DS(1)
    9 Days, Flying out Friday midday, coming home LATE Sunday night
    Our Anniversary is Oct. 4

Step #1. We need a place to stay. Do I spend big(DW LIkes the Poly Concierge) or do I save it and do Value Resort? Which one and why? Winner to be chosen based on majority rules.

Next update in a day or two.

Quack
    Last edited by quackaddict; 10-12-2008 at 09:52 PM. Reason: oops
    Proud to have Served.
    ...and may God continue to bless America...
    1 trip to Disneyland
    23 trips to WDW..off -site, Contemporary, G.F., Poly, POR.
    Next up - Road trip 2014 with the Kids!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally I would go with the WL, less money and you get the perks of a deluxe and great proximity to the MK and the other monerail resorts. Poly concierge to value, big jump but we did it this year. We went from the GF to the ASMovies for the children's birthday trip (myself 32, DH 37, DD11, DD2, & DD4). Great decor and the kids will love it. If you do not plan on utilizing the ammenities I would not bother with spending the extra $$$. The nice thin about deluxe is the balcony and having somewhere to sit and hang out while the kids sleep but if you are going to come back to the room and crash, like we do, the value will work out great.

Good luck!
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

You don't mention budget constraints, but assuming a deluxe is not a deal breaker, I would not do value, and probably not moderate.

We love Wilderness Lodge, but haven't tried the Poly. I can see with 2 little ones that the Poly, with its boat and monorail access would win out. Although, we like the self-contained style of WL, and it does have MK boats.

My reasons for a deluxe over a moderate (and we've done both):

Private Balcony - cannot be underestimated, esp. when people in the group have different sleep requirements (I tend to need very little, so spend a great deal of late night / early morning time on the balcony, enjoying the peacefulness, while the rest of the gang snoozes.

Queen size beds - and nicer bedding in general

larger room while not incredibly larger, it is a noticeable difference, and allows for room layouts that offer a touch more privacy.

more dining options All the deluxes have a couple of good TS and a CS choice

higher level of appointments Nicer TV, furniture, etc.

Room service not why you go to WDW, but with really little ones, it can come in handy...
    Daytrip 2001
    HI FamilySuites (now Nick Hotel) 2003
    POR - 2005
    WL 2006, 2007

Cabins 2008
    Jan. '10 DS turns 5 - quick trip with Mommy at ASMo
    June '10 Grand Gathering at the Cabins
    Fall '11 POP last minute surprise
    Summer 2012 Beach Club and Cars Art of Animation

Post Thanks / Like

My only personal opinion on this would be Animal Kingdom Lodge...This is my dream resort...I have never stayed there but I really hope to be able to sometime in the future.
    Ohana means family, and family means no one gets left behind...or forgotten. --Lilo

Past Trips:
    June 2001 - Off Property
    April 2009 - POR
    Next trip:
    Dec 5- Dec 12 OFFSITE

Post Thanks / Like

I notice you are from Michigan, I am from Illinois. I do not like WL because it feels too much like our summer home in Wisconsin. Not that it is not an nice place but I feel like I see it all of the time. I have stayed at Poly several times, GF once and Pop once. I love all of them and I have three kids. In my eyes I would rather save the money for another trip back sooner than later but that is mpo. So my vote is to spend less. This is why we have gone from delux to value, this allows us to visit much more often.

BTW if I were to choose a delux I would stay at AKL....I have always wanted to try it, and I have several friends that love it.

Good Luck!
    Off-Site several times between 1983-1992
    1993-Grand Floridian
    1996-Poly
    1998-Poly
    2001-Poly
    2004-Pop
    2008-Pop "First MNSSHP"
    2009-Coronado Springs" MNSSHP"
    2010-Pop Century "MNSSHP"
    Next Trip 10/01/2011 MNSSHP !

"Now approaching carousal of progress."

Post Thanks / Like

Because you are going with small children, you will want a place that has fairly easy access to return mid-day for nap/rest time. Additionally, because you are going for so many days, you will probably want your resort to have some amenities since you will probably have time to enjoy them.

For me I'd go with either the WL, AKL, Contemporary (Garden wing to save $$), or a moderate. The Swan/Dolphin may be another choice; it's not "truly" Disney but you may save some money (although no DME or DDP).

If you go with AKL or a moderate, you will be limited to bus transportation but I don't find that to be too difficult.

The WL and Contemporary both have more transportation options and they are close to the MK, which with 2 little ones you may be there the most often.

Just some thoughts...if I had to pick one I think I'd do the Contemporary in your situation, assuming it would fit in the budget.
    Disney World: 10/92 Yacht Club, 11/96 Disney Institute, 12/00 Yacht Club, 6/05 Beach Club, 8/06 Shades of Green, 8/07 Caribbean Beach Resort, 10/07 Coronado Springs, 12/08 French Quarter, 3/10 All Star Sports, 4/12 Port Orleans Riverside

Disneyland: 1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Given what you've told us, I would spend three to four nights at either Pop or ASMovies, and the rest at Poly. Your DS(4) will love the theming at Pop or ASMovies, and his reaction to the magic of these resorts will be a special memory for you and your wife. Five to six nights at Poly will please your wife and will be more comfortable for your family since you'll be spending more time in the room. I have always used the Values as we started taking our children to WDW when they were older than yours, and spent most of our time in the parks. A room larger than what the Values offer would have been critical had we spent 9 days with younger children in WDW.

Post Thanks / Like

I also would go with AKL.
    The kids will love the animals.
    Your wife will love the deluxe amenities.
    It's a very relaxing resort.
    Also it has a zero entry pool.
    There are rocking chairs overlooking the savannah if you need to rock the little one to sleep.
    With the layout of the resort, there isn't a whole lot of "traffic" noise.
    You and your DW will have a balcony to relax on while the kiddos sleep.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

You mention Poly Concierge, so I take it money is no issue. With that being the case, why not just book it? You are running the gambit of resort choices from over $500 per night down to $100 per night. There is far too much in between to make a suggestion. Since I am making suggestions with your money, I say do Poly concierge.

P.S. If it were my money, I would be looking at WL or AKL first. Then maybe buy points from a DVC member. If that all falls through, then CSR.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there,
    How much fun! Well I will place a vote for a moderate... that way you avoid some of the insanity of the values (more people, more noise etc), get some beauty, theming etc, but avoid spending big bucks.

POFQ is a beautiful moderate with a fun pool (and water slide). The boat to Downtown Disney is great and it is a nice small resort to get around with little ones. We stayed there last year with a 2 and 3 year old and we (and they) loved it. POR has a nice counter service place that you can walk to, with lots of choices.

Can't wait to find out where you decide!
    July 2012 Western Caribbean Cruise on Fantasy!
    2011 Offsite
    2009 Offsite
    2007 POFQ
    2000 Poly
    1996 Offsite
    1992 CBR
    Many childhood trips Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Someone else had the same thought as I did.....spend a few nights in a value then switch to Poly concierge.....that will make the kids happy and also your wife. BUT, you don't mention what YOU would like!!!

Our family likes AKL -- DH says it relaxes me, which I'm never totally relaxed on vacation, I'm stressed about making everyone happy and getting them to do what they all want to do and if I get a margarita along the way --- I'm happy!!

I will say that the AKL does have the WOW factor with the kids if you have a savannah room, so you could do that for a few days then switch to Poly also.

I'm pretty sure that whatever you decide that you and yours will be happy!
    *May '92 Day trip fr. Daytona
    *Aug '94/July 01 offsite
    *July 01 Offsite
    *2005, 06, 06, 07, 08, 09, 11SOG
    *Sept 05 AKL
    *Sept/Oct 06 POFQ
    *Dec 08 AKL
    *Oct/Nov 12 Wyndham BC
    *Oct 13 CBR
    *July 14- weekend trips from Daytona
    *July 15- day trips from Daytona
    *Oct 15 CST

Post Thanks / Like

I just knew I was going to get great responses from my fellow addicts!

Keep them coming - and mudpuppysmom, I like your thinking...I do have a preference, but as long as I am there w/ my Family, I could sleep in a box!!!.

<-----------wonders if there are any spare boxes in the World Showcase or Main Street.........
    Proud to have Served.
    1 trip to Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

What about a moderate...instead of jumping from the Poly to a value. POR and FQ are verrrryy nice resorts. The Poly to me is just way too expensive and that money can go somewhere else or be saved for other things...thats just my opinion though. The WL is a little cheaper with a great location also. Ever since I stayed at POR, I am just set on that place...everything about it. We are staying at French Quarter next month, and are really looking forward to it. We really like the boat to DTD, the grounds are amazing, POR and FQ are surprisingly close distance to MK...the bus ride was only 5 minutes.

Happy Planning!!!!
    Been there, Haven't done it all...GOING BACK!!!

Next trip "Home" - September 3-10th 2016 at the Beach Club Resort! Giannas 1st trip to WDW!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I would stay in a moderate CSR is a nice deluxe style resort at mod prices, great bus service due less travelers using the service, great places to eat with a wide selection and larger room size plus a cool pool slide. Or go with the Poly for monorail, great food, location, room size and neat pool area. With your children being 4 and 1 you will most likely find yourself at MK. The monorail is right there. It is also very nice to walk around and look at. I say avoid the values unless that is all you can afford. Why spend the money on an expensive deluxe when your not spending huge amounts of time in your room.
    April 29-May 3- Coronado springs! Engage celeb
    Feb 21-March 1- DCL Bahamas/PORS Royal guest
    November 15th-22nd Marriott's Grande Villas
    May 2-5th Wilderness Lodge surprise engagement!
    Nov 27th-Dec 4rd 2012- Art Of Animation
    March 7-13th 2012 Fort Wilderness cabin
    100+ since 1977

Post Thanks / Like

We have stayed moderate once, and deluxe all except that once. We much prefer monorail deluxe resorts. It makes a difference for us. So my vote goes to a deluxe resort stay, and I would choose the Poly if you want me to be specific. But this is only if it is actually in your budget and you wouldn't be missing out on other aspects of your trip, like shopping or table service dining, just to enjoy the deluxe stay.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer to stay in a condo like setting. Stayed at Liki Tiki Village about 15 min away. Awesome. Just ask to stay in one of their new buildings. They have a water park, many pools and spas, and tennis courts and such. It was so fun my daughter, first trip to Disney (10 yr.old) wanted to simpley stay at the resort.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Where to Stay?

We have stayed in many of the resorts...all different levels. We first stayed at the POLY with my mom and 2 kids, DS was 4 and DD was 2. We loved it..we couldn't have afforded it at that time, but my mom took us as a gift and she booked the resort. Our next visit, when PO was Dixie Landings, we stayed there several times with our young children. We then moved up to WL which we absolutely loved both times we stayed there. We stayed at BC when it was just the 2 of us for our 25th anniversary last summer and that was fantastic....the pool can't be beat and I think your kids would love it, This summer, we took our DD who is now 20 and a friend of hers. We decided to stay at PO again since we were in need of 2 rooms and we had loved it so much years ago. NEVER AGAIN!!! I know that many people absolutely love it and we did too years ago, but this year was not a good experience and with young children, I wouldn't recommend it. The bus rides were completely filled EVERY TIME we rode them, the mousekeeping was certainly not what it was in the past and we were at the very back of the resort, making any trips to the main bldg inconvenient. The people on the buses with us who had young children were very unhappy, having to stand and hold them all the time. Yes, we did very nicely speak to someone at the front desk, on 2 occasions, and although they were polite, nothing was done. So, my vote is for WL or BC but I know that people staying at POP love that also. Enjoy....I miss the trips with little ones!
    '76--off site Sr. Trip
    '90--first trip with DS and DD...Poly
    '91--The Greens
    '93--POR
    '95--POR
    '98--WL
    '01--WL
    '04--DS's Sr. Trip--All Star Sports
    '06--DD's Sr. Trip--All Star Sports
    '07--BC for our 25th anniv.
    '08--POR...8/13-8/18 CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I would go AKL savannah room or Pop depending upon $$.

Can't go wrong with either! I would LIVE at AKL if I could BTW, buses aren't bad at all at AKL. The ride is a bit longer to MK (15-12min) but it is still pretty close to the other 3 parks (10min or so) and they have good service.
    "Is there a 12 step program for this Mouse addiction?"

Next Trips:

11/18-11/29 Destination D:Amazing Adventures!! GF for two nights then Caribbean Beach with free dining...

Post Thanks / Like

Hello there! I think planning a Disney vacation is half the fun! I'm almost sad the day we leave for Florida because that means soon the trip will be over. Anyway, if you can afford it, I recommend the Grand Floridian. HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend it. I stayed there every two years with my family while I was growing up and absolutely LOVED it. In fact, we're going for our honeymoon in June and I didn't even consider staying somewhere else. There is plenty to do for kids and isn't stuffy at all. You don't have to feel awkward about walking through the beautiful lobby in shorts and a tank top. The location is amazing as well. We're grown ups and I still plan on going back to the hotel to swim in the afternoons since it gets so hot. This is another reason why we stayed here with young kids.... it's easy to run back to take a nap or if you forgot something! My family has only stayed off the monorail once and we agree that we'd never do it again. We're hardcore Disney freaks and feel that there is too much time wasted sitting on the bus or waiting in line for a bus. Have fun planning your trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Again, Thank You all for your input. Everyone has valid points, and there really isnt a place NOT to stay.....but....since we do have the little ones for the first time we will be doing something I personally have never done: A split stay. We are going to stay the majority @ the Poly Concierge- monorail to the 2 parks we frequent the most, the pool, the view, plus its our (DW & myself) favorite resort.

We are going to try for 2 night @ AKL Savannah view. DS will love the animals, plus we get Jiko one night for dinner!

Now, since we have a place to lay our heads, next up......Which parks, when and why.

Quack
    Proud to have Served.
    1 trip to Disneyland

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: