Quantcast Just got back...line etiquette questions - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainJessicaSparrow View Post
    I have too. They'll make those "Ugh" faces. I just wanna......be not Disney for a moment.

Maybe because I am slightly biased.....
    I assume you mean you have a connection somehow with those organizations. I don't and I agree completely with you. If someone is impatient over those kids, they need to be slapped silly.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

At Canada's wonderland here in Toronto they have implemented a no line jumping policy, if you leave the line for any reson too bad. But alas it is no enforced either. On both trips this summer we saw teens cutting in and parents carrying their kids over their heads trying to catch up to so and so. I figure who cares let it pass/ I'm not going to cause a scene over something like this. Now if you step on me or shove me LOOK OUT!
    Upcoming trips to DL Hojo's Oct 19-25 and Pop Cen Dec 30 09-Jan 06 10

Pop Cen, Wilderness L, Disney Wonder, Coronado Spr Mar 8-16 09
    Pop Cen Dec 13-19 08 Jan 12-18 08 Sept 15-22 07 Jan 15-21 07 Sept 28-Oct 5 06 Aug 5-12 05
    All St Music Jan 6-11 05

Post Thanks / Like

We were there last Feb., and there were tons of Brazilian teenagers on vacation. We found that they frequently wanted to catch up with their friends. After several days of this, we just refused to move out of their way.
    80&89 Off-site, HONEYMOON 97 Port Orleans, '02 & '03 Offsite, '04 Poly Concierge, '05 Poly,'07 Contemporary, Feb. 08 GF, Dec. '08 Poly, May '10 Offsite, Mar.'11 FW Cabin,May '12 and July'12 Wyndham Bonnet Creek,July'13 Windsor Hills, March '14 AofA, Fourth of July '14 Poly,June 2015 SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eandrsmom View Post
    We were there last Feb., and there were tons of Brazilian teenagers on vacation. We found that they frequently wanted to catch up with their friends. After several days of this, we just refused to move out of their way.
    Unfortunately, those groups were the ones that were the biggest trouble makers for me too. They got really pushy but most tended to back down when you refused to move or acted upset.

I find that those groups tend to go to Disney in Orlando rather than Disneyland in CA. MY family and I always go to WDW but were in the anaheim area a month or two ago and decided to try Disneyland. I was SHOCKED at the difference of visitors there. I'm sure they MUST have their handfuls of difficult people and groups but we never once encountered groups like the huge Brazilian groups at WDW or loud/obnoxious behavior. I'm assuming it's because WDW is larger so they would go there over a smaller set of parks/resorts.
    8/08- Disneyland Resort (first time at DL!)
    8/06- Wilderness Lodge with family
    6/06 POP "Big Girls Trip with my sister
    ~loooong Disney Drought :(~
    2000- Dixie Landings
    1997- Dixie Landings
    1995-Dixie Landings
    1992- Dixie Landings
    numerous small trips to WDW from 89-92 OP

--Kate

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eandrsmom View Post
    Funny... when we where down in June or July there were a lot of Brazilian teenagers as well. I thought they were all for the most part polite and didn't see much line cutting.

Line cutting generally doesn't bother me, but I would be more apt to stand back and wait for my party members vs. making them jump through the line.

It really gets my goat when people are pushing us to get us to go faster. Especially in lines like POC where the walk is usually long for 3 yo legs. We generally tell those people to go around us and then there they are right infront of us when we get to the part that it stands still.

I am more apt to say something to rude people in line than my DH. Whether it is line cutting, inappropriate language, pushing, walking all over my kids, smoking in line and blowing it in myor my kids faces, I will ask to cool it or back off wit the behavior or language. People are generally shocked to hear someone saying something about it. I never try to be rude to them, but sometimes it is hard
    Last Trip: April 2015 CBR
    Next Trip: Sept 2015 Boardwalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have been reading these posts for a few days now and I have to say that I am kind of shocked at some of the answers. I think that it is kind of sad that we have no understanding for people with special curcumstances. Honestly some people have medical issues or illnesses that we can not see. It doesn't mean they have to be stuck in a wheel chair all day.

Walt build disney parks for families, that includes, kids, grandparents and people who are ill. If somebody has to take their child out of line for a second to change a diaper (or what ever) and come back or a gandmother can't wait in a long line up....I don't think that is cutting.

What the OP said was cutting and that is not right. This is the Happiest Place on Earth, if a grandmother waits on a bench and then comes in line with the rest of her group..who cares...she's at Disney World and you shouldn't care either. Just enjoy your vacation and remeber that one day you may be in the same situation with a sick realive and you would want them to be comfortable too!
    First trip Jan 09!!
    Me, DH, DS5, DS2, DS2, DDad & DMom

Post Thanks / Like

We tend to use "line cutting" as a teaching moment for our children.

We simply point out:

1) Hopefully there is a good reason why someone is cutting in line and if that is the case, we should be glad that the person is physically/mentally capable of enjoying the ride.

2) If that is not the case, we point out that the person/people cutting in line haven't had the opportunity to learn how to behave so that it is fair for everyone. In this case, rather than make a stink, it is better to feel sorry for them because obviously, they don't know how to behave properly and it is probably impacting them negatively in other areas of their lives.

What goes around, comes around and I truly believe that just letting something like this go allows us to enjoy our vacation more.

P.S. I do feel strongly about smoking in line and offensive language and will say something about that.
    Last edited by irish1967; 09-28-2008 at 07:44 PM. Reason: I can't type today!
    Have a Magical Day!

Post Thanks / Like

Default My thoughts for what they're worth:

Line cutters: Those who trample through the line to get ahead "just because" they want to be there 1st with their group. Doesn't matter to me if they speak Spanish, English, German, Brazilian or Martian! Many cultures feel that if they just "wait in line" they will not get their chance. Get over it ! Here, in America, we feel that EVERYONE deserves their turn, and we really hope that you have as much fun as we do getting there!!
    NOT cutters: Children with special needs that have been given "head of the line" status
    ( If THAT upsets you: Go HOME you need more time to prepare for YOUR magical experience) MAW children (Thank GOD, or WHOEVER you pray to that it's not YOUR child, let them pass! and Bless them and say prayers for them while you do!) Seniors that need to rest: let them pass too! Good grief, they've paid their dues!
    Most who are in wheel chairs get a special entrance with family to accompany them ( However, that doesn't mean 30 of them!!) You folks can get in line with the rest of us, you'll still get a "quality" Disney experience with us very nice family oriented people waiting our turn.
    Mom ( or Dad) who got out of line because Johnnie or Susie couldn't hold it, we've all been there, give them a break! How many of us have done the "toilet tour" with our kids!! If the kids are that young, it's tough enough on them anyway. Those who haven't gone through the parenting experience: You will find it much easier to endure the hard times when you see you get support and understanding from those of us who have been there, or if we haven't gone through it with you, the grace of understanding it's not easy.
    I think that's all I wanted to say. Sorry if I offend anyone, "step on any toes" but more importantly, I hope I gave everyone food for thought. It's a Small World after all, we have to share it!!
    "Come on Nana!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minnie1956 View Post
    Line cutters: Those who trample through the line to get ahead "just because" they want to be there 1st with their group. Doesn't matter to me if they speak Spanish, English, German, Brazilian or Martian! Many cultures feel that if they just "wait in line" they will not get their chance. Get over it ! Here, in America, we feel that EVERYONE deserves their turn, and we really hope that you have as much fun as we do getting there!!
    NOT cutters: Children with special needs that have been given "head of the line" status
    ( If THAT upsets you: Go HOME you need more time to prepare for YOUR magical experience) MAW children (Thank GOD, or WHOEVER you pray to that it's not YOUR child, let them pass! and Bless them and say prayers for them while you do!) Seniors that need to rest: let them pass too! Good grief, they've paid their dues!
    Most who are in wheel chairs get a special entrance with family to accompany them ( However, that doesn't mean 30 of them!!) You folks can get in line with the rest of us, you'll still get a "quality" Disney experience with us very nice family oriented people waiting our turn.
    Mom ( or Dad) who got out of line because Johnnie or Susie couldn't hold it, we've all been there, give them a break! How many of us have done the "toilet tour" with our kids!! If the kids are that young, it's tough enough on them anyway. Those who haven't gone through the parenting experience: You will find it much easier to endure the hard times when you see you get support and understanding from those of us who have been there, or if we haven't gone through it with you, the grace of understanding it's not easy.
    I think that's all I wanted to say. Sorry if I offend anyone, "step on any toes" but more importantly, I hope I gave everyone food for thought. It's a Small World after all, we have to share it!!
    agreed. There is a big difference between taking your kid to the restroom and being a big jerk and passing everyone in line. Some people are just jerks and should be called out for it.
    Many, many visits since 1973....

Post Thanks / Like

We were in WDW in early August and thanks to fast pass we experienced this behavior in three of the four parks.

Part of the group gets in line. The other part goes over to fast pass and gets fast past tickets. Then they push pass the rest of us in line to catch back up with their group. I asked a lady as she was passing.

Posted earlier getting set back 2 or 3 rides is no big deal. In theory I agree but line jumping is line jumping. It is wrong. I do think there are exceptions but getting a fast pass is not one in my books.
    POR 04/2018
    CB - 01/2018
    Contemporary - 12/2017
    Poly - 06/2017
    GF - 08/2009
    BW - 07/2008
    Contemporary - 11/2007
    Poly - 02/2007
    POR - 12/2004
    Contemporary - 12/2003
    Dixie Landing - 12/2002, 12/2001 8/2000
    Contemporary - 12/1999
    Dixie Landing - 5/1998, 5/1997

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking about this post earlier and another thing came to me. I probably wouldn't be so irritated at someone that's joining their party in line if they truly seemed apologetic. There are times where things happen...a bathroom emergency, the need for water, SOMETHING and I understand that. You can tell by the looks on the person's face if they seem embarrassed or sorry for having to be in that situation. When I see that, I don't let it bother me because I can tell that this person isn't trying to take advantage of the system. It's when the person is coming back, being rude and pushing their way up to where they want to be without giving you a second glance. That's what really makes me upset. What's worse is when they come back defensive, like they're just waiting for a fight. It just rubs me the wrong way. If you act courteous to me, I'll be courteous to you in return.
    8/08- Disneyland Resort (first time at DL!)
    8/06- Wilderness Lodge with family
    6/06 POP "Big Girls Trip with my sister
    ~loooong Disney Drought :(~
    2000- Dixie Landings
    1997- Dixie Landings
    1995-Dixie Landings
    1992- Dixie Landings
    numerous small trips to WDW from 89-92 OP

--Kate

Post Thanks / Like

I see this thread evolved as they typically do. Here is how I would categorize "line cutting".

Line-cutting:
    1. More people moving forward in line to meet a smaller party. The smaller party should wait until the larger group catches up.
    2. Mom/dad getting in line while the other takes the kids to the restroom or to get beverages. If they are not with you, do not get in line. Wait for them to return.
    3. One person with the FOL pass and 30 people going with the,
    4. Group gets in line while one goes and gets the entire groups FPs.
    5. Foreigners that have no respect for Americans here or in their country being as rude and disrespectful as they possibly can.

Not Line-cutting:
    1. One or two people catching up to their party when they had to get out of line for potty.
    2. MAW or any other charity that lets a terminal child or adult have one Magical Memory to grab a hold of. Anyone that is against this best be thankful it is not them.
    3. Person with medical condition waiting in the shade or at the side of the entrance waiting for their party to get to the front of the line.

I am sure there are more for both categories. The good news is that I am a pretty good size guy (6'0", 225lbs, broad shoulders). I can occupy the good part of a queue line. I am more than willing to discuss a person moving in front of me. I am also very good at embarrassing someone in line with a poor excuse. I will ask them a question in a louder than normal voice asking why they should get on before my DD2 because we were waiting already. Since I am waiting anyway, might as well have a little fun. With any luck they learn a life lesson or at least learn to be a better liar.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dizney4me View Post
    Have been a reader on this site for years and years without ever registering, but I just had to weigh in on this one.

I'm certain that more often than not, when people jump in line it is nothing more than rudeness. There can be another possibility, though.

In my family there are three people (out of our group of five) who have serious medical issues requiring them to stay out of the sun. When we are stuck in an outdoor line, they have to go sit somewhere in the shade until I reach a point in line which is out of the sun, then come join up with me. To look at them, they all appear completely healthy, so I'm sure people have been annoyed at their "line jumping."

Again, I know this is not the case for many people who cut in line. But when someone jumps ahead of me, I do try to remind myself that there's at least a possibility it's for a medical reason. It may not be the case, but it does help me keep my cool and enjoy my vacation much more!
    You can actually get a pass that allows you to wait only in the indoor section. A CM will allow you to cut in line at the door due to the medical condition.

Overall though, cutting is terrible. I don't mind if little TImmy had to go potty and dad had to take him and he is just catching up to his wife and other kids, but when its 4 adults or worse, forget it, just wait in line and meet up at the end.
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

Last year I did a lot of line jumping I admit it. Ok before everyone is ready to kill me let me explain which some people will have issues with anyways I'm sure. My sister would take my 5 y/o DS and would go and get on rides while I was in the baby care station with my 7 week old DS. ( trip was already paid for when I found out I was pregnant). When I would get done with the baby I would call her and meet up with her so I could ride some rides with my 5 Y/O. If they were already getting on I would wait until they got off and ride it again but if they had only been in the line a little while I would go up and join them. Also on some of the rides if the wait was outside the CM would let me sneek in a side entrance and wait until the rest of my party went threw the line and I would join up with them then. Some people consider that line jumping but it was letting my party go threw all of the line while I kept the baby out of the sun and the CM's knew we were doing this.
    Coreen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WeLuvBuzz View Post
    Just a thought, but what if the people in line just said to the would be line jumpers I am sorry, but I will not allow you to pass me as I have waited in line to be at this point and you have not. Perhaps in the future you should wait to get in line for an attraction when your whole party is ready.
    I did this with my family last time we were at animal kingdom queuing in a 90 min queue for kilimanjaro safaris. The Guy who was trying to get past shoved me out of the way so he could get past, (and I mean shoved) and asked me why I wasn't letting him past. His party followed him, family of 5 if I remember correctly... Shame really, even in the happiest place on earth people have to resort to physically pushing people to get there way.

On the other hand, at seaworld two lads tried to get past to get on manta, and this ex Us forces veteran, in his late 60's I would say, was waiting with his two granddaughters till they got on the ride. He stopped the two lads and told them to turn around and face the walk of shame past everyone else to the back of the line. they did walk aswell as he wasn't letting them by!
    Last edited by MNNHFLTX; 07-06-2011 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Terms of service

Post Thanks / Like

The way I see it, the majority of the party should be in line. If a child needs the bathroom or a health issue prevents a person from waiting, i have no problem letting them through. Even one party member getting FPs doesn't really bother me. But that is 1 person (and a companion for the 1st 2 examples). When there are more people "catching up" than actually waiting in line, I think that is line cutting and should be dealt with. Unfortunately, as others have pointed out, dealing with it ends up rewarding the line jumpers.

Post Thanks / Like

There's no chance at all i would ever say anything to someone cutting in line or even think about it.
    I'm in WDW. what do i care? I"m not every going to let someone ruin my vacation. In fact i have often let people go ahead of me cause i was looking at something in the Que.
    i have deadlines at work, i have stress paying bills, i have lots of troubles, but when i'm at Disney it's all good. In fact my friend and sister and i have a saying when we're at WDW "it's disney, there are no worries".
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ransam View Post
    There's no chance at all i would ever say anything to someone cutting in line or even think about it.
    I'm in WDW. what do i care? I"m not every going to let someone ruin my vacation. In fact i have often let people go ahead of me cause i was looking at something in the Que.
    i have deadlines at work, i have stress paying bills, i have lots of troubles, but when i'm at Disney it's all good. In fact my friend and sister and i have a saying when we're at WDW "it's disney, there are no worries".
    You summed up my feelings on this nicely. What the heck do I care if one or two people who likely would already have been in line ahead of me go in past me in line??

I honestly cannot fathom why people get so worked up about this and assume the worst ... that these people are somehow "out to get you" or to take advantage. Seriously, seems like much ado about nothing to me. It probably won't even affect your actual wait time, since they'll most likely be riding as a part of a larger party that takes up the same number of ride vehicles anyway!
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ransam View Post
    I also agree with this! The only time I might say something is if they were rude about it. I am little biased toward this subject as my son also has an "invisible" disability. He has severe ADHD and mild autism. Most times, with medication, he is completely fine, but sometimes there are melt downs. We do get the GAC, but only use it if he is having a bad day and we follow the rules of the GAC. There are usually 8-10 people in our party. How we handle this is for the fastpass rides, most of us get the fastpasses and when it is time to use the FP we show our GAC and go with our entire party. I think it is ridiculous to punish a mom or dad who had to get out of line to take a child to the bathroom. They were there anyway! The way I look at it, getting mad doesn't ruin the guilty parties day, it ruins yours, so why bother. Quietly pitty them and go on enjoying your day! And one last thing, I do not think the nationality/culture of a person has anything to do with rudeness. Rude is rude and it is rampant through all cultures!
    Debbie
    Feb 87- off site/Nov 98-Poly
    98- Disney Magic Inaugural Cruise
    Jul 03-off site
    Sept 05/Aug. 11/Nov '20 -Pop Nov 08-POR
    Aug 09/May 10-ASMu
    Nov. 09-Disneyland/California Adv.
    Aug. 12- OKW
    Aug 13 SS
    Oct 14 AKL/AoA
    Oct. 18 POP
    Aug 19- Movies

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure what I think of this. When we were there we were waiting for DD to get her face painted. After waiting for about 10 minutes we were at the front of the line when all of sudden 2 women and a little boy go right in front of us. I said, "excuse me, but we are next". and the woman said they were in line but were looking at the designs over on the side. OK... well we looked at them too BEFORE we were in line, and was it really necessary for grandma to look at them too? This still ticks me off, and ticked me off even more when the woman who gave me a dirtly look and was all snooty about cutting got her face painted too. If we wouldn't have been in a rush I wouldn't have minded as much, but it was just rude! I would've been fine if grandma would've been in line, but there was no one there for at least 10 minutes!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: