Quantcast And You Thought Disney Was Expensive!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default And You Thought Disney Was Expensive!

09/05/08-CHICAGO (Reuters) - Football fans will have to open their wallets wider this season as ticket prices in the National Football League continue to rise despite the weak U.S. economy, according to a study by a sports marketing firm.

The average price of an NFL ticket is up 7.9 percent, while the cost of an outing for a family of four has risen almost as much, according to an annual study prepared by Team Marketing Report (TMR) in Northbrook, Illinois.

For the fourth consecutive year, the average ticket price for an NFL game rose about $5, increasing to $72.20, according to TMR, which compiles ticket data on all the major North American sports leagues.

The cost of taking a family of four to an NFL game rose 7.1 percent to $396.36, according to TMR, which released the study late Thursday and updated it Friday. The study's Fan Cost Index comprises the price of four tickets, two beers, four soft drinks, four hot dogs, parking, two game programs and two caps.

The NFL is the most popular North American sports league, boasting strong television ratings and annual league revenue topping $7 billion.

The league's 32 owners, however, in May terminated their labor contract with the players union early in a move to cut salary costs. They also cited rising payments to cover stadium construction, operations and improvements.

Twelve teams had double-digit percentage increases in average ticket prices, three more than last year, TMR said.

The New England Patriots, which finished the regular season undefeated and lost in the Super Bowl championship game, topped the league again with an increase of almost 30 percent to an average ticket price of $117.64. It is the only team with an average price in the triple digits. The cost for a family of four at New England games jumped 22.6 percent to $596.25.

The Tampa Bay (Florida) Buccaneers saw the next biggest jump in ticket prices at 24.4 percent, to the second-highest average in the NFL, $90.13. The cost for a family of four is $483.02, the third-highest in the league behind New England and the Chicago Bears ($484.31).

The Super Bowl champion New York Giants' average ticket price rose 8.3 percent to $88.06, while the family cost rose 12.4 percent to $480.74, the fourth-highest in the NFL.

Eight teams kept their average ticket prices unchanged. The Buffalo (New York) Bills had the lowest average ticket price at $51.24, up 10.3 percent from last year, TMR said.

The Bills' cost for a family of four was $298.96, making it the only team under $300. There were four teams under $300 last season, six in 2006 and 10 in 2005, TMR said.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Gotta pay those multi-millions in salaries.

Post Thanks / Like

Not to mention the new seat license fees they want from season ticketholders.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    Not to mention the new seat license fees they want from season ticketholders.
    The Panthers have sold PSLs (Permanant Seat Licenses) since they came into existence in '95, so this isn't really a new, new thing.

Post Thanks / Like

The Packers did the PSL's when they did the refurbishment of Lambeau.

The prices for the NFL are getting out of control. I used to go to 3-4 games a season in the early 90's when tickets were $30 each. Now if I want to get to a game the cheapest I can get tickets is near $100 each (people who re-sell are pricing up the tickets to offset the PSL). My son really wanted to get to a game last year but at a cost of $200 for the two of us I couldn't justify it for a three hour game. I'd say the tickets are overpriced but in Green Bay the stadium is sold out every single week and there is a 100+ year waiting list so that's not the case.

On a bright note, a few weeks ago the Packers had their scrimmage and have labeled it family night. The cost is $8/person and it sells out. I took my DS & DD along with some other friends. They did a great job with entertainment for everyone including fireworks so the kids got to experience a full football stadium at a decent price. At the end of the scrimmage the Packers gave away about 20 game(scrimmage) worn jerseys and my friend won one. The funniest thing is he left with his kids early and I was sitting in his seat so when they read off the numbers the camera was on me. I couldn't get the jersey because I didn't have the ticket so my friend had to come back the next day to get it.
    '94 & '97 Off Site
    '98, '04 & '07 PO - Riverside
    '00 Polynesian I '01 Contemporary
    '02 Animal Kingdom Lodge I '03 All Star Movies
    '05, '08 & '09 Pop Century I '06 Wilderness Lodge

Next 9/18 PO - French Quarter

"Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." ~ Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

The NFL is really starting to make me a bigger hockey fan (those seats aren't much cheaper, though). Seriously, I think the NFL is getting too big for its own good. I am going to be leaving Indy soon for Pittsburgh and am sorta glad that I will not be paying for our new stadium here. The Colt's Lucas Oil Stadium cost the city (and taxpayers) $720 Million. This was before the RCA Dome was even paid off. It is going to cost the city $10 million more a year to staff the place. The Colts make almost all the money and they threatened to leave the city if we didn't pay.

I mean, how much is enough. I heard a quote that a season ticket on the 30 yard line will cost $270 a game ($2700 a year). Do you think that the average person can afford that. I mean you need to own a corporation and get a tax write-off to spend that kind of money.

Meanwhile, every time I spend money at a restaurant I am taxed to pay for this new stadium and pay off the old. At the same time, pot holes need to be filled, people are getting murdered in the streets of the city and each week another police officer is brought up on corruption charges. At least Indy has its COLTS!
    Walt Disney World Trips:
    April '91, '93 Magic Kingdom with HS Band
    November '93, '03, '04, '06, '10
    January '08, December '08
    Fall '11 New Central Florida Resident
    February '10: Disney Wonder Cruise
    November '12: Disney Dream Cruise
    DVC Member since 2006
    Annual Pass Holder

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't been to a football game for a few years now. I went online last night after watching the Colt's game. I wanted to get tickets for the game against the Raven's in Baltimore. My cousin is a rookie with the Colt's and I thought it would be nice to see a game in person and catch up with him afterwards. That ain't gonna happen , the least expensive pair of tickets within sight of the field that I could get was quoted at $596.00. Tickets, hotel, travel and meals would bring a weekend outing to well over $1200.00. To put it in perspective my entire 8 days in WDW, SSR including DDP, Airfare, and World Hopper will only cost me $817.00. I enjoy watching football, I love my family but I'll keep my viewing to the TV for far less. Maybe I can get him to meet me in WDW when the seasons' over, cheaper and a lot more fun.
    Bill
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood. But the second one is up to you and no one else.

AKL, Jambo, September 18 to October 2, 2012

Post Thanks / Like

My biggest thing with all of this is the PSL's. We have to pay money in order to be able to buy season tickets? This is just one way to get more revenue out of something that sits idle most of the year. (Colleges are doing this with their season ticket base as well) I know I won't be taking my entire family to a game this year because of the scalpers or the "stub hub" type services with their ticket prices. Maybe 2 of us will go.

As long as the stadiums are full teams can charge what they want. In some cases the onfield product doesn't have to be good either.
    WDW '71-'81(numerous)
    Yearly '98 - '08
    Last Trip July 2014

Next Trip ???
    Keep to the code... If you fall behind, you get left behind.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

You guys think YOU got problems? Try shelling that amount of cash out for the DETROIT LIONS!
    First trip, Christmas 1971.
    Last Trip, Oct. 2017 - ICOT20!
    Next Trip: Planning...Always Planning

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: