Quantcast Laundry

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Laundry

Post Thanks / Like

Default Laundry

With all the wonderful new baggage fees that I will encounter this November and December I was thinking about doing laundry while at Disney. I have no desire to waste vacation at the laundry room at POFQ nor do I really want to pay an arm and a leg to let Disney wash it for me. Does anyone know if there is a Laundromat near Disney with a drop off service that would not be too expensive?
    Clay
    Old Dominion University
    Class of 2001

I got bit by the Big Blue Beast and I loved it...

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about drop-off laundry services, but doing laundry at POFQ is easy!

The laundry room is right next to the pool (and the bar), and we usually throw a load in, hit the pool (DH usually hits the bar), throw it in the dryer (repeat pool and bar), and then we're done.

Just didn't want you to worry too much if you end up doing laundry while you're there!
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

We usually stay at the Pop but it's the same story as the above poster.

Load, swim, bar, Dryer, swim, bar. Done.

I'm guessing that a lot of people are going to be doing this now with the silly new baggage rules. The other option is to do it either in the late evening when everybody is winding down watching TV (I've never had any problem with people swiping stuff)...just be sure to return during the spin cycle. Repeat drying. It really shouldn't take more than an hour and a half.

If your a morning person do it early and read the paper or the hidden mickey book with a cup of coffee.

A lot of times I'll sneak down the evening before we head home (let everyone sleep) and wash everything...that way when we get home everything is clean except for jammies and the stuff on our back.

I used the laundry service in Reno one time because my son had gotten sick and it was one of his good outfits. I rinsed everything well and then set one pair of jeans and a shirt out for laundry...it ended up costing something to the tune of $10.
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

Post Thanks / Like

If you can work the laundry in at the same time when you planned on using the pool, the laundry is a piece of cake ! I did that at POR.
    Load the washer - get in the pool - put the laundry in the dryer - get back in the pool.
    It's pretty easy as long as there are machines available.

Post Thanks / Like

DW and I figure to do laundry on a day that we come back from a park early. We will also hang out at the lounge. We did this one other time and it worked out well for us.
    1965*, 1972, 1980, 1986, 1992, 1994, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2004 Disneyland ** Aug 2009 25th Wedding Anniversary, 2010 (June), 2012

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one

Post Thanks / Like

Just another vote for laundry, pool,drink and laundry! It is not that bad!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tips folks. I'm still going to try and avoid a trip to the laundry room. I have found two places not too far off property that I will call tomorrow. If I am forced to make a visit to the laundry room do they have the big laundromat style machines?
    Clay
    Old Dominion University
    Class of 2001

I got bit by the Big Blue Beast and I loved it...

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

It sounds like you would really prefer to not do laundry on your trip (and I can't say I blame you)!! Depending on which airline you are flying, it might be worth the extra $20-$40 to take an extra bag or two with you to hold the clothes you'll need. You might end up paying someone off-site that much to do the laundry for you. Just something to consider as part of your question.

We have also used a similar plan to some of the other posters - throw in some wash while at the pool. If we do that once halfway through our stay, it usually works out well for us. I don't recall exactly, but I don't think they have really big, laudromat-type machines. The machines are fine, but not super big. Hope you have a fun trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibelieveindisneymagic View Post
    The laundry room is right next to the pool (and the bar), and we usually throw a load in, hit the pool (DH usually hits the bar), throw it in the dryer (repeat pool and bar), and then we're done.

Just didn't want you to worry too much if you end up doing laundry while you're there!
    Yet another vote for doing the laundry on property. I am not a big fan of housework (my cleaning ladies do the brunt of it) so to have to do it on vacation is even worse but if I can do it on vacation anyone can.

I usually go to the laundry room put a few loads in (a dark, light, and handwash dark and light) then take a walk to the bar, grab a drink relax for a few minutes, then I head back to the laundry room switch over the loads to the dryers, then head back to the bar for another drink (or read my book by the pool). The time goes by very quickly and then we all have clean clothing.

Just my opinion, take it for what it is worth, I would think that the hassle of dropping off and picking up your clothes off property would waste quite a bit more time than simply doing them yourself. I have also found travel packets of Tide and Downy (for $0.99) in our local Target's travel section.

Whatever you decide to do, have a great vacation!!!
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Here's another vote for doing laundry. I've done it at Pop, All-Stars and AK Lodge and it's so easy. I let my husband put the kids down for their naps while I do laundry (and hang at the pool and read magazines). I think I have the better end of the bargain! It will probably take you just as long to load the stuff in the car, drive to a dropoff place, and drive back to pick it up as someone stated. Plus you get to stay and soak up the Disney magic instead of leaving the grounds to do your laundry. It's kind of my relaxing midweek break without the kids! I also find that washers/dryers are usually free in the early afternoon vs. at night after the parks close. Then you can do 3 loads at once. I just buy a huge thing of detergent at Target on the way and use it - the $5 there is way cheaper than buying the stuff at the laundry facility. You can just pack dryer sheets in your luggage in a baggie.

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta jump on the bandwagon here....the laundry mats are by the pool for a reason...pop the clothes in the washer, hit the pool, go back 20 minutes later, put them in the dryer and go back to the pool....you may have to go through two dryer cycles, but that's okay, more time for the pool....I actually do not like spending time at the pool during my Disney vacation...but my son begs to swim (we usually go in December and they're heated) so this is my way of killing two birds with one stone

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

its easy at your resort!
    i washed and went in the pool
    then took the damp clothes to the room and hung them on extra hangers that i brought from home and let the clothes dry in the room overnight.
    2003 - off property
    2004 - off property
    2005 - all star movies
    2006 - pop century
    2007 - pop century
    2008 - pop century

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Mid-week break

Sorry I am voting with everyone else on this one. I am staying for a week and plan on a mid-week break. We will spend the day lounging and getting the laundry done, Then dinner and an evening in a park.
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

Post Thanks / Like

Default laundry at POFQ

I just did laundry at POFQ.
    First, there were a TON of washers and dryers.
    $2 for wash, and $2 for dry. They are 30" cycles for wash and dry. All clothes were dry at 30". Soap is $1. There are change machines there for $1 and $5.
    I left the stuff in there, went back to room and showered for dinner, and then went back to put in dryer, then went back and got it.....no problem..............
    Yo Ho Yo Ho a Pirates Life for Me

Post Thanks / Like

The washers are quick...about 20 mins. They say the dryers will only need 20 mins but they need 2 cycles but it is still not bad.

At CBR the laundry room was next to the pool and only steps from our room. I threw in a few loads. Went back to the room a bit, went back...tossed the stuff in the dryer...not a problem.

We are DVC members and usually stay in a Villa where there is a washer and dryer. We also do laundry mid trip (to cut down on packing) and the night before coming home so everything is clean when we get back.

I do find that the washers/dryers in the laundry rooms are larger and quicker then the ones in the villas since those are more industrial while the ones in the villas are stackables and not designed for large loads.
    [COLOR="Red"]3 trips prior to 2000
    2000-GF
    2003-GF
    2006-BCV & WLV
    2007-WLV & BWV
    2008-CBR & SSR
    2009-WLV, YC & Disney Wonder
    2010-CBR, POLY, SSR & Disney Magic
    2011-ASMu, Disney Dream,SSR, CONTEMP,POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Duds and Suds baby!! We pack relatively light...just us! So, we usually have laundry time during the kids pool or nap time. You don't have to worry about leaving your things. They even have a tv in the room, so I can catch up on my soaps if I want!
    1974 - Off Property
    1975 - Poly
    1980 - Golf Resort (Honeymoon)
    1881 - Golf Resort
    1982 - Poly
    1983 - Contemporary
    1989 - CBR (10th anniversay)
    1998 - CBR (DD 1st trip )
    2001 - CBR
    2003 - WL
    2004 - WL (25th anniversary)
    2005 - WL
    2006 - WL
    2010 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

With the new checked baggage fees, my DH and I will have carry-ons for the trip down and will ship a box of clothes, toiletries, etc. by UPS Ground a few days before. Approximate cost to ship 30lbs. in a medium box (20"X20"x14") is $21 from Missouri (about the cost of checking one bag onto the plane!)
    DL 1976, 1984, 1989
    WDW 08.2006, 10.2008, 12.2010, 10.2015

Post Thanks / Like

My parents do laundry on every trip. We usually don't, but that's because it has only been us or us and our son. On this trip we have three children, so I think laundry will definitely be a "planned activity." Good thing the laundry is near the pool and bar! Maybe if I do laundry with a drink in my hand I will still feel like I am on vacation!
    Beth

Past Trips: 83 86 88 89 95 97 00 03 04 06 08 (CBR, Dixie Landings/POR, Coronado, Contemporary)
    Next Trip: Feb 27th to March 7th 2010!

Post Thanks / Like

I am glad that I saw this thread. Our washer here at home has been out of service for over two weeks and the next appointment to actually install the new part is the day after we return from Disney! We are leaving next Wednesday and I was able to do three loads at a neighbor's house yesterday. I am going to pack on Saturday so that we will have clean clothes for the trip. Then I plan to do laundry on our last evening (kids and DH off to the pool!). That way we'll at least have clean clothes at home while I play laundry clean-up for a week!

My question is about the machines... are they coin operated? or do they accept bills? we're staying at Poly.

THANKS!
    six days until we go....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2Princesses4Us View Post
    My question is about the machines... are they coin operated? or do they accept bills? we're staying at Poly.
    They are coin operated but there are change machines located in the laundry facility. You do not have to bring rolls of coins down with you, unless you want to.
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: