Quantcast Michael Phelps Goes to Disney World - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

WDWrox wow do you have a bad attitude. It was a great accomplishment. Yes he is a hero- he broke a record which is a very very hard thing to accomplish. Swimming is not about just jumping in a pool and swimming around catching a football. I personally would much rather hear about the good things that people do instead of all the bad things that goes on in this world. I would have loved to have been there to show my respect for to him. He showed great dedication and drive in accomplishing his goal.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Countless Disneyland trips
    May 2000 Honeymoon 1st DW Trip
    April 2001 AS Music
    May 2003 Off-site
    December 2003 AS Movies
    July 2004 Disneyland
    December 2005 AS Movies
    September 2007 Pop
    March 2009 Pop
    Christmas 2010 Movies
    June 2011 off-site
    Christmas 2012 Caribbean Beach

Natazu Guest

I wonder if he's going to hit the water parks and try to hustle tourists in swim races.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDWRox View Post
    How is what he does worthwhile to anyone but himself, when you think about it? There's no real meaning to the stupid Olympic games,
    Actually, someone like Michael Phelps is VERY important to each and everyone of as human beings because we all need examples of what can be accomplished if we continue to work and strive to improve ourselves. And those people who show us what we can truly be are called "heroes."

Granted, we all have our own ideas of who is and is not a hero but we all have and need them. You may consider a scientist like Albert Einstein to be a hero. I may consider a musician like Yitzach Pearlman(sp?) to be a hero and others may consider Michael Phelps to be a hero. But the point is that without having someone that we can consider to be a "hero" in the world we would all despair of the ability to grow and achieve more than we think we can.

And finally, I think sports is probably the one activity that takes place in the world that the largest majority of people can most easily understand. To go back to the examples I used earlier, even if Albert Einstein were alive today the kind of work he did is not something that is exciting to sit around and watch so we would not watch a television program based on his research, not to mention that most of us would never understand it. And even though we all like music to one degree or another since Yitzach Pearlman(sp?) is a classical musician many of us wouldn't tune in to see him perform. But with Michael Phelps, we can all understand what it means to beat 7 other people in a race and we can also understand what it takes to beat a world record. As a result sport personalities end up being "heroes" more often than others and there is nothing really wrong with that as long as they are decent human beings as Michael Phelps appears to be.

And by the way, I am not much of a sports fan but even I tuned in to see if Phelps could do what he set out to do.

Oh, I forgot one more thing. I agree that the Olympics in and of themselves are a joke because there are so many rules violations that are ignored by the powers that be. However, without the Olympics there is no other chance for sports like swimming and gymnastics to get prime time coverage. Does that make it right, no, but at this time they are the best that we have.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Natazu View Post
    I wonder if he's going to hit the water parks and try to hustle tourists in swim races.
    That is so funny. I would race him, just to say i did!
    April 2001 AS Music
    May 2003 Off-site
    December 2003 AS Movies
    July 2004 Disneyland
    December 2005 AS Movies
    September 2007 Pop
    March 2009 Pop
    Christmas 2010 Movies
    June 2011 off-site

Post Thanks / Like

Michael was presented $1 million yesterday from Speedo. They promised it to him if he won the 8 gold medals. He said the money will go to start a foundation to help kids around the world who want to learn to swim, etc. and he will be traveling around the country starting these programs. He hasn't even been home to sleep in his own bed yet after the Olympics. Boy! That would be the first place I would want to go after China just to rest a little. I'm sure he has got to be getting tired by now of being up front and center on the world stage.
    I DO believe in fairies, I DO, I DO!

1977-2007 various resorts
    August 2007 CBR
    August 2009 Poly
    2010 July/August Ply
    2012 July BC & Christmas ASM
    2014 Sept BC
    2015 Sept BC Oct CS
    2016 May FQ Oct GF
    2017 Nov YC

Post Thanks / Like

You know, I just wanted to point out that the Olympics stopped being about "Sports" quite a long time ago. If you really want to get technical, it stopped being about sports after, like, the first one.

The Olympics are not about sports. The Olympics are a chance for the countries of the world to come together. They are an demonstration of friendship, cooperation, and unity in the world. This is why the Olympics being held in CHINA was such a monumental thing this year. This is why CHINA spent like 40 BILLION dollars to make the Olympics happen. Politically, the Olympics are a BIG deal. The sports are secondary. The sports are why we WATCH the Olympics, but the sports are NOT the reason why the Olympics are so important.

President Bush and the rest of the world leaders (including Russia's president) did not sit around watching sports while Russia invaded Georgia because they felt like seeing a basketball game/swim meet/gymnastics competition that day. Think about it...

Just wanted to point that out.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Michael Phelps

I must agree with Maryanne. He's an inspiration and a hero to anyone who has to fight hard to overcome. When he won the last medal he sought out his mother in the stands. He didn't say "I'm the Best in the World!". He focused on his mom and said: Look what I did.

What a guy.
    '77- Offsite - '98,'99, '00, '01 - Dixie Landings; '01 - CS, Poly Cons, POR; '02 - WLV & WL; '03, '04, '05 - POR / Poly Cons.; 11-'05 AKL & Poly Cons.; '06 BCV & Poly Cons.; '07 POR & Poly Cons.; '08 SSV; '10 BWV & AKV; '12 BWV & AKV; '14 BWV & AKV; '15 BCV, BLV, BWV

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    You know, I just wanted to point out that the Olympics stopped being about "Sports" quite a long time ago. If you really want to get technical, it stopped being about sports after, like, the first one.

The Olympics are not about sports. The Olympics are a chance for the countries of the world to come together. They are an demonstration of friendship, cooperation, and unity in the world. This is why the Olympics being held in CHINA was such a monumental thing this year. This is why CHINA spent like 40 BILLION dollars to make the Olympics happen. Politically, the Olympics are a BIG deal. The sports are secondary. The sports are why we WATCH the Olympics, but the sports are NOT the reason why the Olympics are so important.

President Bush and the rest of the world leaders (including Russia's president) did not sit around watching sports while Russia invaded Georgia because they felt like seeing a basketball game/swim meet/gymnastics competition that day. Think about it...

Just wanted to point that out.
    You are absolutly correct. Buuuut. When someone does something outstanding...WOW. Look at Bolt from Jamaica, man is he fast, a little arrogant, but he is FAST.
    April 2001 AS Music
    May 2003 Off-site
    December 2003 AS Movies
    July 2004 Disneyland
    December 2005 AS Movies
    September 2007 Pop
    March 2009 Pop
    Christmas 2010 Movies
    June 2011 off-site

Post Thanks / Like

Jasper you said that beautifully.

My 12yo daughter is a typically celebrity obsessed pre-teen, and also a swimmer. She BEGGED me to go to the Oprah taping today, just so she could catch a glimpse of her new hero. (BTW, she liked him as an 8yo, too. )

Our celebrity culture is crammed down our kids' throats on a minute-to-minute basis. I would much rather she have a "nice guy" athlete as a media role model than the hordes of trashy music video stars that are our kids' culture icons.

Phelps set himself an "unreachable" goal and achieved it. Parents can point to him and say, "there's nothing you can't do," because he's proof.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yjgirl32 View Post
    WDWrox wow do you have a bad attitude. It was a great accomplishment. Yes he is a hero- he broke a record which is a very very hard thing to accomplish. Swimming is not about just jumping in a pool and swimming around catching a football. I personally would much rather hear about the good things that people do instead of all the bad things that goes on in this world. I would have loved to have been there to show my respect for to him. He showed great dedication and drive in accomplishing his goal.
    First, I do not have a bad attitude. Second, I have to disagree with his being a "hero" because he happened to beat some swimming records. What he accomplished brought benefit to noone but himself. He broke a record or two....good for him, but how does that benefit anyone else other than him? If his accomplishment did anything for anyone else, then possibly the "hero" title could apply.....but it didn't and so it doesn't. Ultimately it was a meaningless goal.

Post Thanks / Like

We Were There!!!! It Was So Much Fun!! We Got Pics And Everything!! That Was My 1st "celebrity" Sighting In The Parks. I Heard From A Guy On One Of The Buses That He Saw Michel Phelps In The Espn Club At The Boardwalk The Day Before!!
    VMK: DaffyD
    Trips to WDW
    June 2001on my B-Day!Off Prop.
    August 2005 Off Prop.
    August 2006 ASMov.
    August 2008- Pop Century
    August 2009-ASMu
    April 2010-ASMu w/marching band
    Aug. 2011 ASMu
    Aug. 2012 Off Prop.
    Aug 2013 Off prop.
    Next:Aug 2014??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDWRox View Post
    First, I do not have a bad attitude. Second, I have to disagree with his being a "hero" because he happened to beat some swimming records. What he accomplished brought benefit to noone but himself. He broke a record or two....good for him, but how does that benefit anyone else other than him? If his accomplishment did anything for anyone else, then possibly the "hero" title could apply.....but it didn't and so it doesn't. Ultimately it was a meaningless goal.
    You know... I really do try to stay away from getting into disagreements with people on boards... at the end of the day everyone in entitled to their own opinion... but did you even read anyone else's posts? I think there were a few good examples about how his solo accomplishment DID mean something for others. There are heroes in the traditional sense (policemen, firefighters, people who put their life on the line to save others) and then there are heroes whose accomplishments serve to inspire others. As a pre-teen my hero was Kerri Strug after I watched her stick a dismount on a broken ankle to propel the US women's gymnastics to their first team gold medal ever. It was an example of perseverance- never give up, always give all you can. I think you are looking at the situation through a very narrow scope.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

You GO Michael! I loved watching him during the Olympics! He is just an ordinary kid who got to follow his dream! It is very appropriate that he should go to WDW where Walt would have been proud! Congrats to a good kid! Keep up the great work!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind seeing him everywhere because I think he's cute!

I wish I had been there, it looks like was a really unique WDW experience!
    First Trip- Oct 1978 (9 months old)
    Last Trip- Everett's Summer Vacation June '10
    Next Trip- Everett's 1st Food and Wine Oct '10
    Oct 4-6
    58 trips in between

Post Thanks / Like

He was at citrico's when I ate dinner there a week ago
    By the way, the dinner was amazing!!!!
    Polynesian- 1985
    Polynesian- 1987
    Polynesian- 1989
    Polynesian- 1990
    Polynesian- 1993
    Polynesian- 1996
    Polynesian- 2001
    Polynesian- 2006
    Yacht Club- 2007 (surprise!)
    Beach Club- 2008 (august...yeah!)
    Beach Club Villas- 2009 (the whole family)
    Polynesian- 2011 (september- HONEYMOON!)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: