Quantcast 11 yrs. old and travelling to Australia?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default 11 yrs. old and travelling to Australia?

DS10 received a letter from the People to People program inviting him to Australia next summer. At first my thought was No Way would he be half way around the world alone for 15 days. Then I said something to my parents about it and they have volunteered to go at the same time and stay somewhat close to the group (but not with them). Now I don't know what to do. This would be such an awesome experience for him, but still... He keeps telling me how much he wants to do it and I know he would have a great time. This is also something I know DH and I will never be able to give him. Any advice? I've talked to a couple of people that have experience with this group, but does anyone else have any input? We went ahead and signed up for the information meeting just in case...
    First trip...02/72 Fort Wilderness
    Last trip...2/2016 Boardwalk Inn
    Next trip...2/2017 Boardwalk Inn Princess Half Weekend

"Mama, another gator got in the house"

"Don't make me turn this formation around!"

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I would approach it with a great deal of caution. My son has received several of those invitations over the last couple of years and upon investigation I found out some disturbing things about the People to People program. They claim their status as a not-for-profit organization, yet contract out their trips to other travel companies (including some not-so-reputable ones). There have been numerous complaints from parents whose children experienced unsafe travel conditions and treatment while on the trips. And frankly, for the money they quote, a kid could go to the destination twice!

I'm not saying that every child (and parent) has a bad experience with People to People, but I do think it is primarily a marketing ploy to make money. Claims that children are "nominated" by a teacher are school are questionable at best.

If your parents are willing to go to Australia at the same time, why not just have your son go with them? Given his young age, I think it would be a lot safer and you would have peace of mind.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Beth!
    I wouldn't send my child anywhere, especially half way around the world until I completely and thoroughly checked out this company and the people who run it and are going to accompany my child.
    As how they got your child's name then question the person who gave them your child's name, find out what that person knows about the company and how they became involved.
    Dolphin & POFQ 2010

POFQ 2008

ALL STAR MUSIC August 2007

POP August 2006

Coronado Springs 2005

DCL trip December 2005

WDW DOLPHIN July 2004

WDW DOLPHIN JUNE 2002

WDW DOLPHIN March 1998

WDW OFF PROPERTY March 1994

DL Honeymoon 1987

Post Thanks / Like

As to how they got DSs name, it probably just kicked it off of some list he's on! I doubt if anyone gave them his name, but I will check on it.

It appears there has been a couple of bad things happen on these trips...several complaints. For the # of kids that go on these trips, a few accidents are to be expected. But one seemed to be downright neglect. I would just never be able to live with myself if something happened to DS.

I did a search on here and read a couple of possitives, but I will probably follow Beth's advice and wait a couple years and send him with my parents.

But, hey, according to wiki Walt Disney was once part of the organization...It can't be all bad! J/K

Post Thanks / Like

I have recieved many of these invitations myself (im 14) and in the fall of 2006 I was able to go to Washington DC with my best friend, Mary. Mary and I had an amazing time and no problems. The transportation was well organized and All of the programs were well organized, informational, educational and fun!!

As to the Australia thing, I have a friend in my class who went last summer. He said it was a blast and amazing!

If I were you, I would wait a few years to see all what else shows up in the mail. I have recieved many invitations to go places. I'm sure that your son will recieve more invites and possibly ones that are closer to home.

I am actually pretty sure that the students ARE selected by teachers because in 6th grade about 7 students (the top of the class) recieved invites and our teacher informed us that she was the one who nominated us. I have had afew teachers that have actually acted as program leaders on these trips. They are in charge of small groups and usually a few of these groups are put together on buses (very nice charter buses) and go together.

I felt very safe in the program and there were always adults around supervising us and keeping it educational.

The food is great and they take you to nice restaurants. Since we were in DC we got to go many places the general public does not. We ate lunch in The Ronald Reagan Center and Department of Energy. We also got a VIP visit with the Saudi Arabian Embassy.

I had only one bad experience and that was only because one of the restaurants did not offer any food I liked.

if you would like any more info PM me
    AP Holder since 2015

Post Thanks / Like

My son just did a program with People to People(Fiji, New Zealand, Australia) and I couldn't have better things to say about the people and the program. They were wonderful. The travel and accommodations were all safe. The staff kept close watch of all the kids, and there were rules that were strictly enforced (much to the disappointment of some of the kids, who hoped for late night get togethers). They are a non-profit organization that works with the State Department with President Bush acting as honorary program chair. They may hire outside travel guides to help set up accommodations, tours, and plans, but the same People to People trained counselors that you meet at the initial meetings travel with your children for the entire trip. They even have programs for adult travelers.

It was a fantastic experience for my son. He had opportunities that he couldn't access as a regular traveler, such as learning about the Maori culture by spending a night at a marae. He has memories he will treasure for a lifetime, and a lot of those couldn't have been made by traveling with mom and dad. He had the joy of some independent traveling and learning combined with the safety of traveling with a reputable group. You can find dings about everything on the internet. You have to separate the facts from the slanted opinions on your own, but our research and our experience with People to People has been top notch.

The only thing I might add is that you may want to wait if he's only ten. They have tours for all age groups. My son was seventeen, and I think he got more out of the trip as a slightly older teen.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

My older sister is a first grade teacher. For the past three summers, she has signed up to be a People to People chaperone. She has accompanied groups of kids to France, Italy, and Australia. Most of the groups were in the 11-13 year old range, just like your son.

Overall, as a MEMBER of the People to People program, she had positive things to say about her own experiences, although in any sort of group program, especially involving travel, there will be "drama" among individuals, "issues" among the staff, and problems that crop up among the kids, but everything was always worked out very professionally.

She actually enjoyed the trip to Australia the most, and she thinks the kids had the most fun on that trip as well, as there was the LEAST amount of complaining about "weird" food, customs, and a language barrier.

I would highly recommend sending your son on this trip. I would NOT suggest sending your parents along to be "near" him, as this is NOT appreciated by the People to People staff members. My sister had to deal with a situation like this, and it really causes a lot of problems when one kid has family who is trying to see the kid at numerous places, or meet up with them, or go out to eat. These things are meant to be done as a group, and if one kid starts going off with family, the whole group dynamic gets thrown off and the staff has to worry about where that kid is, and when he will return, etc, and how he will find the group again, and it's really hard for them. If you do this, you have to be able to let go and put your trust in this organization. If you cannot do that, you should not send him until he is older. Also, don't believe everything you read online. Remember, people will really only post their negative experiences, but rarely will they post their positive ones, so keep that in mind.

Definitely go to the meetings and see what it's all about. It's a unique opportunity and Australia is an amazing place that, if you cannot go as a family, and you can send your son there via this program, you should definitely do!
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post

The only thing I might add is that you may want to wait if he's only ten. They have tours for all age groups. My son was seventeen, and I think he got more out of the trip as a slightly older teen.
    I agree with this. When I was barely 14 I went on a multi-week school-sponsored trip to Europe. I was one of the younger (probably the youngest) kids in the group. I had a great time, but looking back I really wish I had been a couple of years older. I would have been more experienced in handling situations (homesickness, issues with other kids) and had a little more knowledge to apply to what I was seeing (history, social studies, literature, etc.).
    12/99-All-Star Sports * 5/01-POR * 4/02-AKL * 5/03-DL * 5/04-POFQ * 2/05-POR * 5/05-offsite * 10/05-WL * 12/05-DL * 2/06-offsite * 12/06-POP * 4/07-Coronado Springs * 10/07-WL * 4/08-POFQ * 5/10-POFQ * 7/12-DL * 2/14-DL * 6/15-YC

Next Trip ???

Post Thanks / Like

Allowing your child out of your control is very difficult. I can't imagine thinking about them being so far away. I would just say, follow your gut instincts. Parents know if something isn't right. Trust that.

As for Australia, I used to live there and can't say enough about the beauty of the country and it's people. I love everything about Australia and always tell people if they go there, it will become a part of you.

Good luck with your decision.
    trennedy

Go Cubs!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trennedy View Post
    As for Australia, I used to live there and can't say enough about the beauty of the country and it's people. I love everything about Australia and always tell people if they go there, it will become a part of you.

Good luck with your decision.
    I so believe that. My parents went for 6 weeks...hmmm...maybe 3 years ago...and didn't hesitate when I told them about this (their thought was to be in the same area, but to stay away from the group...only there in case of emergency). Then they talked about adding a couple more weeks onto the trip!! They absolutely loved the country and I think are looking for a good excuse to go back.

Now to complicate things even more, tonight at Cub Scouts they were discussing Boy Scout Jamboree for 2010 (at a horrific cost $$$ ). For sure he is going to have to decide between one or the other now!!! Mom and Dad don't have it in them to swing 'em both!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: