Quantcast Confused about Dec Crowds

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Confused about Dec Crowds

I think I'm over thinking this. One book I read says one time is good another book says something else. Is it safe to assume that the parks are pretty good crowd wise until the Friday after most schools get out for Christmas break? If we went Dec 13-20 is that a pretty good crowd wise? Don't most schools let out the 19th and crowds pick up for Christmas after that? Some books say the first 2 weeks of Dec are good, others say first 3. One even said "this is Disneys secret season"

thanks

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure what you're used to as far as crowd levels at WDW go, but we went Dec 22-30 a couple years ago. I went expecting unmanageable parks that would close down due to reaching capacity. Actually, up to and including 12/25, they were not that bad. Mind you, we did get to the parks at opening each day, which really helps. Disney does a great job at managing the crowd levels, as far as dining options, park hours and not generally scheduling refurbishments during their busy season. Don't stress and have a great trip!
    Nov 1973 - OS
    Apr 1982 - OS
    Jan 2001 - ASM
    Dec 2001 - ASSp
    Jan 2002 - CBR
    Jan 2003 - CBR
    Dec 2003 - AKL
    Jan 2005 - CBR
    Jan 2006 - CBR/AKL
    Dec 2006 - CBR/OS/POFQ
    Oct 2007 - ASSp/CBR
    Jan 2009 - CBR/AKL
    Jan 2010 - POR/AKL
    Jan 2012 - CBR
    Jan 2013 - CBR
    Feb 2015 - GF
    Feb 2016 - GF

Post Thanks / Like

I'm used to Disneyland where when they say crowded they easily mean "closed to capisity" I don't expect to have the place to myself but just not wall to wall people thank you.I am dying to see Christmas and I think if I could take my son out of school the week before Xmas break on independant study, do WDW then he could do homework over the 2 week break. I LOVE DL but I really want to SEE THE OTEHR PARKS!!

Post Thanks / Like

We went in December the past couple years (12/7 - 12/18 most recently) for the same time period. Keep in mind....this time of year is getting VERY popular, so crowd levels are rising.

Up until about the 15th or so, crowds were average. Some short ride lines, some very long (EE, Soarin', TT, Peter Pan, etc.) Weekends were very busy due to the locals. Switching meals around was almost impossible, but that's nothing new.

After the 15th, crowds picked up significantly. Still manageable with FP, but parades, character meet and greets and the Osborne lights were shoulder to shoulder. But, it just kind of added to the Christmas spirit.

It's an excellent time to go to WDW, and we will definitely do it again. We might even pop down there for a weekend in December this year after our Halloween trip is done.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

I've been to WDW in Dec about 7x's. from the first week until the 23rd. The crowds do build getting much heavier as time goes on.
    I've always noticed a big difference on weekends as opposed to weekdays at this time too.
    I think the popularity has increased over the years. Very low crowds and pleasant weather was always a plus when the kids were very young in the 80's. In 03 I remember one morning in Adventureland it seemed we were the only ones there (second week). It has been our experience that the crowds have grown but with the economy there is a chance the crowds won't be as heavy but as mentioned it is a popular time.
    Next
    DD, DS @ AKV Dec 12 SSR 12-16

AKV Savannah 8/08
    ASMu my BD 4/08 w/ Angel & MrsSgtT
    SSR 10/07 BWV-12/06
    Pop-05 04 03 1st Nighters
    OKW-97 96 Poly- 89 87 86 CR:72
    Offsite:8xs FW:83 82 82 DL 67,68,71

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SurferStitch View Post
    We went in December the past couple years (12/7 - 12/18 most recently) for the same time period. Keep in mind....this time of year is getting VERY popular, so crowd levels are rising.

Up until about the 15th or so, crowds were average. Some short ride lines, some very long (EE, Soarin', TT, Peter Pan, etc.) Weekends were very busy due to the locals. Switching meals around was almost impossible, but that's nothing new.

After the 15th, crowds picked up significantly. Still manageable with FP, but parades, character meet and greets and the Osborne lights were shoulder to shoulder. But, it just kind of added to the Christmas spirit.

It's an excellent time to go to WDW, and we will definitely do it again.
    We went last Dec. during this exact time frame and found all of the above to be true. While the crowds were still incredibly manageable, it was nowhere near as "quiet" as I was expecting. In fact, the previous year we were at WDW the week after easter and founds the crowds to be much lower then. That being said, we would not hesitate to go back in Dec. The Parks are definately a sight to be seen all decked out for the holidays. As you stated, you will not have the Parks to yourself (one can dream) but you will have a fabulous time indeed!!
    șOș KATHY, addicted since 1989 șOș

Laughter is Timeless * Imagination has no age * Dreams are forever

Next Up.....
    Nov. '09 @ Pop

September '89, offsite **October '98, offsite** April '06, Pop Century ** December '07, Pop Century ** Nov. '08, Caribbean Beach

Post Thanks / Like

I was at Disney this past December from the 19th thru the 27th. The first 3-4 days the crowds were managable, each day the crowds grew a little bit. But by Sunday Dec. 23 the parks were CROWDED.

I think the crowds will be very managable at the beginning of your trip. But they will increase as each day goes by, but still managable. I think you will be fine. Get to the parks early and do your "must do's" first.

Have a great trip!!
    Dec 2010 AKL
    May 2009 POFQ
    Oct 2008 Pop
    X-Mas 2007-POFQ
    May 2006 Pop
    June 2005 ASMu
    May 2002-Off Site
    Dec. 1999-Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

We have been a couple of times during the first 3 week so of December. It is definitely true that this time used to be a lot less crowded than more recent years. However, it is beautiful with the Christmas decorations and the crowds should be quite manageable and enjoyable during the time you suggested. Personally, I wouldn't be there after around the 20th-21st. I think you will have a good experience! We love this time of year - we would be going then instead of October but had a scheduling conflict.
    Christmas trip again!! Dec 5-12, 2011 - first time for 3yr old to go along!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SurferStitch View Post

It's an excellent time to go to WDW, and we will definitely do it again. We might even pop down there for a weekend in December this year after our Halloween trip is done.
    It sounds like Disneyland. Weekdays less crowded, weekends more busy with locals. Get there early, collect FP etc. Since it's probably the ONLY time I could DO it, may give her a try!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: