Quantcast Just got back from DL, comparison to WDW - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PolyGirl40 View Post
    I will never understand why people find it necessary to compare Disney World and Disneyland. They're two different places.
    Really? I think it's only natural to compare any two Disney resorts, especially since they all are built around a park with a castle in the middle. I think it would be hard not to compare them.

I find that people prefer the park that they "grew up" going to, or that they visited first.

I think this calls for a poll. Woot.

K, Slater!
    I take the Ferry!
    26.08 , -77.54 , 210°, 0 kn...

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by I take the Ferry View Post
    I find that people prefer the park that they "grew up" going to, or that they visited first.
    Not necessarily. I had been to Disney World umpteen times before going to Disneyland for the first time. I tried not to approach our first trip there as a comparison with WDW, but as a new experience in and of itself, and was instantly charmed. Disneyland's smaller size, the attention to detail, the laid-back atmosphere all made it seem almost homey. So I love both parks for different reasons--WDW is expansive and exotic (for lack of a better phrase), Disneyland is intimate and more like coming home for me. But both have their own unique magic.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    Not necessarily. I had been to Disney World umpteen times before going to Disneyland for the first time. I tried not to approach our first trip there as a comparison with WDW, but as a new experience in and of itself, and was instantly charmed. Disneyland's smaller size, the attention to detail, the laid-back atmosphere all made it seem almost homey. So I love both parks for different reasons--WDW is expansive and exotic (for lack of a better phrase), Disneyland is intimate and more like coming home for me.
    Ian șOș
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grwoolf View Post
    Indiana Jones is unbelievable, one of the best. I don't care if it uses the same ride system as Dinosaur (which pales in comparison), this ride needs to be replicated at DS.
    I do agree that IJ needs to be replicated at DS, replacing that worn out stunt show.

I do believe, however, that Dinosaur is a much more fun ride. (I have ridden both...) I've ridden both multiple times in a row, and I feel that Dinosaur has a much larger reride value than IJ. Dinosaur is reridable because it is exciting, and scary, while in Indiana Jones, its exciting, but nothing really shocks you in the ride, so you remember everything and know when everything happens, unlike in Dinosaur, when you're shaking and screaming so much you hardly remember a thing other than 'Oh my gosh! We almost were eaten! LET'S DO IT AGAIN!' Or at least that's the reaction I always have.
    A llama? He's supposed to be dead!

(starting last year...)
    Feb 08- 4 days at Saratoga Springs
    Apr 08- 6 days at Old Key West
    July 08- 10 days at Beach Club Villas
    Christmas 08- 6 days at Beach Club Villas
    April 09- 2 days at Universal Studios Orlando

Post Thanks / Like

I live in NY and have visited WDW periodically since the mid 1970s. I've been to DL a handful of times, the last time back in June 2001. I understand things have improved there immensely over the past 7 years. That said, I was very dissapointed at that time. The upkeep was unbelievably bad - peeling and faded paint, everything was scratched up and old looking. It was really sad. As the story goes they got a new mgmt team and things are now superior to WDW in terms of upkeep.

A couple of other observations...I too love the dry California weather too but the smog can really get to me. Between the effects on my asthma and the haze, it can be a real downer. It also takes away from that feeling of escape that makes these places so special.

I think a lot of the rides at DL are better than at MK, particularly Pirates. Indiana Jones is terrific as everyone has said.

The sense of place at WDW wins out for me though. The trip there is always exciting - monorails, boats, etc. The climate is tropical and feels exotic - like you're on vacation. The huge lake and the skyline of the MK are really special attributes. Best of all, the MK's castle is impressive and beautiful while DL's castle is underwhelming.

In fact, I find the caste and some other elements of DL kinda cheesy. The matterhorn in particular just looks dated and old. I know this won't be a popular opinion but it's always something that bothered me about the place.

One thing I love about DL is all it's nooks and crannies. There is something to discover around every corner and many of the discoveries seem like your own private surprise.

Post Thanks / Like

I've grown up an hour away from Disney World all my life, have had AP's for the last 15 years.
    My first visit ever to DL was about 3 years ago, and the biggest thing I remember was saying...
    "Wow, is that really their castle?"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NASCARVW View Post
    I've grown up an hour away from Disney World all my life, have had AP's for the last 15 years.
    My first visit ever to DL was about 3 years ago, and the biggest thing I remember was saying...
    "Wow, is that really their castle?"

Bigger is not always better! I love the castle at Disneyland. It is very beautiful and it is just the right size for the park.
    Donna
    Intercot Staff

My father's name was Ferdinand, my mama's name was Liza, they didn't know what to call me so they called me Ferdiliza!
    Billy Hill and the Hillbillies - "I'm OK!"

Please support INTERCOT'S wonderful sponsers!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by spawnof65 View Post
    I understand things have improved there immensely over the past 7 years. That said, I was very dissapointed at that time. The upkeep was unbelievably bad - peeling and faded paint, everything was scratched up and old looking. It was really sad. As the story goes they got a new mgmt team and things are now superior to WDW in terms of upkeep.
    Ugh, yeah you were there during "The Bad Old Days" under Paul Pressler and Cynthia Harris ().

Once Matt Ouimet took over, things got markedly better from what I'm told. I know that by the time I first visited in 2005 things were near perfect in terms of cleanliness and upkeep.

Quote Originally Posted by ChipnDaleGal View Post
    Bigger is not always better! I love the castle at Disneyland. It is very beautiful and it is just the right size for the park.
    Yeah, i totally agree. If anything, I liked Sleeping Beauty's Castle a big more than Cinderella's, because it's more "storybooklike" ... I thought it fit the whimsy of what I think a Disney theme park should be much better than the grandiose Cinderella Castle in WDW.
    Ian șOș
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have an opinion yet because I have not been to DL yet, but in only 5 days I am making my first trip. We are only going for one day so I hope we can get everything in. I will try not to compare the two but I know my DW will. She has been having people tell her how small DL is and that aftergoing to WDW you will not be impressed. I just told her it is the original and I want to see what Walt built, I am not going to be that close and not go.

I will report back after Labor Day on our trip.
    Justin ├o┤﴾o﴿├o┤

Apr 83 - Offsite
    Aug 83 - FW
    Aug 85 - FW
    Aug 87 - FW
    Sep 01 - All Star(Honeymoon)
    Jun 05 - FW
    Dec 07 - FW
    Mar 08 - FW
    Aug 08 - Disneyland (Offsite)
    Dec 09 - FW
    Feb 10 - Offsite-Business Trip
    Sep 10 - All Star
    Next Trip?

Post Thanks / Like

I have been to both parks and I find the Magic Kingdom at Disneyland to be far superior to the one in Disney World. When you compare the 2 Magic Kingdoms, you'll find many more rides and better versions of similar rides in Anaheim. Since there was only one park there for most of its history, they were constantly improving what they had. Fantasyland, for example, is about twice the size in California.

That said, however, I agree with most of the comments already written here. The food (even the counter service) leaves much to be desired in Anaheim. I found myself walking across Harbor Blvd for dinner on several nights. And, of course, they only have 3 hotels on site, and they are all very expensive. If you are looking for a week long trip, Orlando beats Anaheim (except I do wish they had a few rides like Alice in Wonderland).

Post Thanks / Like

thanks
    i do like hearing things about both parks esp never having been to DL.
    i would like to see some of the things at DL;
    Indy, some of the dark rides
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

West Chester, PA (formerly Philadelphia, PA)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PolyGirl40 View Post
    I'm exceptional too.

In fact I'll be making my 4th trip to Disneyland in 2 years. I stay at least a week every time and have never left to explore any other parts of California. I'll be there for 9 days in 37 more sleeps.

Funny thing is I live in New York. It's much more convenient and cheaper for me to fly to Florida. Not to mention I own DVC at Walt Disney World. I simply find Disneyland more relaxing and love not having to step foot on a bus or travel from park to park. Nothing better then Walt's park. I get goosebumps just thinking about it.

Hello fellow exceptional DL lover. It's possible we were separated at birth, because we both feel exactly the same way about Walt's original park. I'm jealous that you're heading back very soon. I'm so tempted to schedule another vacation this year, but, unfortunately, I have a couple of business trips coming up, so travel for fun will have to wait until after the first of the year.

I live in Philadelphia, and, as with you, it's much easier and cheaper for me to fly to Orlando than to LA. But the trip to LA is worth it, especially when my destination is Anaheim. I noticed on my last trip that they have really tried to clean up Harbor Boulevard and make it more visitor-friendly - much more enjoyable than the last time i was there.

Have a great time at the original park and think of me, wishing I were also there, sitting on one of the chairs on my favorite porch on Main Street, people watching and enjoying the magic.
    Sylvia șOș

80+ WDW visits . . .

1976-88 - I Drive /
    1989-??? - CBR; DL; SoG; CSR; CR; POP; ASMu; WL; FQ

Upcoming:
    30 Apr - 14 May 19 PO French Quarter

Post Thanks / Like

wdw is the best! give me disney world over dl anyday!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm another in the "love them both" camp.
    Telling you which is better would be like choosing one child over another. I do think being a woman
    of "a certain age" makes some difference to me loving DL because:
    1) I remember my childhood experience there and that was BEFORE WDW was around.
    2) I agree that being in "Walt's Park" gives me goosebumps. The fireworks display was, I think, more meaningful to me than it was to my Disney-loving daughter for that reason...little nostalgic moments in that soundtrack that she missed.
    First time we saw DL Fantasmic we had no idea what it was. Saw all the people camped on the grass and realized, too late, that we were going to miss a lot by not having a spot early.
    We watched from a distance, loved it, stayed around for the second show and loved it more.
    Pochohantas is nice but Peter Pan is a classic.
    Just like Disneyland.

Post Thanks / Like

I've done both a lot, so I agree with a lot of what you said. However, I don't think I've seen things broken down at WDW anymore than at DL. As far as early entry, that never mattered to me because I sleep in on vacations. Especially when I'm in a time zone 3 hours early. I definitely agree that there is no feeling of escape at DL. You can actually hear the traffic from I-5 in the parks.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: