Quantcast Harmful Chemicals from DisneyShopping?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Harmful Chemicals from DisneyShopping?

I was interested in a light-up decoration from DisneyShopping until I saw this:

WARNING: This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, or birth defects or other reproductive harm.

If it's known to cause harm, how can they legally sell it? Is it only if you constantly leave it on or what? I'm not so sure I want the decoration now...

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I just saw the same thing on another Disney Item I just purchased. What the heck? What kind of chemical and what does that state of California know that 49 other states don't?
    [COLOR="Red"]3 trips prior to 2000
    2000-GF
    2003-GF
    2006-BCV & WLV
    2007-WLV & BWV
    2008-CBR & SSR
    2009-WLV, YC & Disney Wonder
    2010-CBR, POLY, SSR & Disney Magic
    2011-ASMu, Disney Dream,SSR, CONTEMP,POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Just to give some extra info, most (not all. . .most) christmas tree lights say this as well. The boxes usually say to make sure you wash your hands well after touching the product and advise pregnant women not to touch the product at all. Sorry I don't know what it is, just thought this might help you to classify how harmful it really is.
    °O° Cassandra °O°

Beach Club 4/07
    Caribbean Beach 2/09

Post Thanks / Like

I actually wondered about that and asked my mom but she said she hasn't seen anything on Christmas lights. Guess we just weren't looking for it Thanks for letting me know.

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen this same warning on different chemicals that we use at work...it's only ever California listed.
    °O° Ria°O°

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." ~Walt Disney

First trip: 11/05-Pop
    Next trip(s): 9/12-CSR, 10/12-ASM & Swan,
    11/12-Swan & YC
    Pop x 4
    CBR x 1
    POFQ x 2
    Poly x 1
    WL x 1
    AKL x 2
    SOG x 3

wandering around a freezer somewhere below POTC in NOS
    Post Thanks / Like

The reason you'll see these warnings is for a California law- Proposition 65: the Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986.

There are something like 800 chemicals listed that are known to the state of California that are known to cause cancer or reproductive toxicity and is meant to provide consumers with adequate information.

The difficulty with the compliance of the law comes under the provisions of what determines a significant risk of exposure.

From the state perspective, there is no significant risk (for which a warning would not have to be issued) if over a 70 year lifetime, the amount of whatever chemical is used for example in the manufacture of a product would not cause a 1 in 100,000 chance of developing cancer from that exposure.

As a result a lot of businesses are perhaps overly cautious when it comes to being in compliance with the law because the law is so openly worded so in California you'll see the warnings posted almost ubiquitously.

The penalties for not providing an adequate warning can be steep- in excess of $2,500 per day so most companies just post a general warning just to be safe.

For example, something like motor vehicle exhaust is listed on Prop 65's list of chemicals so places like gas stations will have the warnings posted because businesses are expected to provide a "clear and reasonable" warning before they knowingly or intentionally expose anyone to any of the chemicals on the list.

Alcohol is another chemical on the list, so restaurants and bars will routinely post Prop 65 warnings because of the health risks, especially with women that are pregnant- while it may seem like common sense to put the warnings in perspective.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I'm not as concerned now

I just wish I had known that 2 years ago when there was a Haunted Mansion house with the warning and I was too freaked out to buy it. I LOVED that thing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LauraleeH
    I actually wondered about that and asked my mom but she said she hasn't seen anything on Christmas lights. Guess we just weren't looking for it Thanks for letting me know.

I've seen the warning on the boxes of lights for the last several years. I think there may be a little tag on the lights themselves that say the same thing but I wasn't going to get my decorations out of storage just to check .
    °O° Cassandra °O°

Beach Club 4/07
    Caribbean Beach 2/09

wandering around a freezer somewhere below POTC in NOS
    Post Thanks / Like

There are some products under prop 65 that consumers should definitely be concerned about with the warning- for example, children's toys (especially these days items that might be manufactured in China) with the concerns for things like lead exposure.

Then again, with prop 65 at one point last year I think California was considering adding caffeine to the list of chemicals because of the risk of birth defects for expectant mothers who consume high amounts of caffeine while pregnant.

It definitely causes a lot of confusion for visitors from outside of California (and even residents within the state) when they go to Disneyland and see the warning printed on a receipt for something they buy at the resort (at one point they were printing the warning on every receipt, although now I think while the warning will print on all receipts, only items which are known to require the warning are denoted by an asterisk, although that is really not clearly explained to consumers).

What really causes a lot of frustration though, is often if you try and find out more about what chemical might be the cause of the warning, businesses will just tell you that you have to contact the manufacturer for details.

I've seen the Prop 65 warnings posted by landlords in apartment complexes and even once a warning on a utility bill because they wanted to let me know that exposure to natural gas has been linked to cancer and other health problems so unfortunately Prop 65 while it certainly has good intentions often goes unnoticed because the warnings are so common.

Dallas, TX (1424.06 miles from the Disneyland Resort)
    Post Thanks / Like

If you go to Disneyland the labels are on nearly everthing. I usually see it posted on the shelf, or near an item.

Post Thanks / Like

Get the decoration and enjoy it.

As long as you don't lick it, gnaw on it or eat it, you'll be fine.

Chances are there's a trace amount of lead or something else in the wiring....that's all.

Suzanne Somers jewelry (some of it) has that warning, too. It's because of trace chemicals used in the plating done to the metal, or certain adhesives, or even the base metal itself. It's really nothing more than CYB (cover your butt) reasons on the part of the manufacturers and retailers in CA.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SurferStitch View Post
    As long as you don't lick it, gnaw on it or eat it, you'll be fine.
    Haha that was my initial thought! I was wondering if this is a warning mostly for people with kids or pets that would lick it.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: