Quantcast Cheap souvenirs??

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face Cheap souvenirs??

By now I am probably sounding like a HUGE cheapskate, but I was just wondering if anyone knew where a good spot to get cheap and nice souvenirs
    Summer '90 Disneyland as a kid with my parents and grandmother

August '08 POR with DH and DS

January '14 CSR with just DH

November '14 CBR with DH, DS, DN (dear niece)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Your not a cheapskate, I always looks for the interesting and cheaptest things at WDW.

If you notice all around the parks, resorts, etc. they have pressed penny and quarter machines. They also sell a pressed penny book to keep them safe and they run for about $6.95 each. They have one with a sorcerer Mickey cover and one with Tinkerbell. The pressed pennys costs about 51 cents each. It's a cheap and not to mention fun soulenvier to collect.

If you wanted to get a pin or two that's fine, but started a pin collection can be expensive. They run anywhere from about 5-12 dollars each.

Carribean Beach '95
    Wilderness Lodge '96 '97 '98
    All Star Music '00 '01 '04
    Off-site '03
    All Star Movie '05 '06
    All Star Music 07'
    Pop Century with DBF Sep 08'
    Pop Century with family March 09'

Next trip: Disney and Universal Studios April 2015!

PINK!

Post Thanks / Like

I can't remember the name of the store but there is a bargain store in Downtown Disney. I go there every trip because I have 7 nephews and 2 nieces to shop for every trip (all under the age of 7). I have had awesome luck with 4 for $10 deals or discounted items.
    The store is between the boat dock and the Pearl stand.

By the way you are not cheap. It was nice that you have thought of others during your trip.
    Caribbean Beach 2002
    Port Orleans-Riverside 2005
    All Star Movies 2006
    Port Orleans-Riverside 2007
    Planning Beach Club 2009

Post Thanks / Like

I think the store in dtd is called the 5 and 10. We have gotten some really good deals there. Ds bought a stitch pajama pillow for less than $10.00. He sleeps with it every night. I plan on visiting there again this trip.

Post Thanks / Like

Not a cheapskate at all! It pains me to buy a T-Shirt for $30! The store in DTD is located by the Goofey Candy Company and sets back some. It's not a huge store but we have found things pretty reasonable. If you have a car or not staying on property the local Walmart has some nice Disney branded things. Not official park merchandise but nice none the less. Can't beat the prices either.
    Next Trip: POP Century...September 16th to September 26th!

Post Thanks / Like

1st ,you are not cheap you are going to Disney that in itself shows you are not cheap
    SAving some money on the things there that make it outrageously expensive is SMART!!!

The penny idea was a big hit for me last year! We used the mini M&M container to hold the coins and made a game of it before we left. DS would do a chore or something note worthy and I would give him two quarters and a penny (older ones work better) by the time we left we had alot.
    this year I bought a book to hold the pressed coins on ebay and will give it to my DS when we get there.

I also got a bunch of little things at the dollar store. YES the dollar store adn brought them with us. Just before we leave the room I go back "for something" and hide the days gift in the room. On return he would find the present.
    This helped him wait to buy something he really wanted. It ended up being a very nice water globe. and I didn't mind buying the one thing he really wanted.
    I hit the dollar store again this year and got some great stuff already. And I also got the few things for me....the fan/water sprayer and a few light up things for the night parade and MNSHP.

Saving money now only makes it so you can go back
    Disneyland '73 off site (Family Home)
    Disney World '81 off site (Family Home)
    Disney World '87 off site (Family Home)
    Disney World '92 off site (Family Home)
    DW Oct. '07 WL
    DW Sept '08 POFQ
    DW July '09 Off site (Family Home)
    DW Feb '12 POFQ
    DW Nov '13 Off site (Hilton Parc Soleil, YUCK!)

Post Thanks / Like

You can even get free souvenirs at Epcot:

At Innoventions East, you can build a small robot at Fantastic Plastic Works — and take it home with you!

And you can also send yourself or family and friends video postcards and email postcards at Innoventions West, Innoventions East, Mission: Space and at the end of the Journey into Imagination.

Urbs
    Cresson, PA

Off Site - 76, 79, 82, 90
    Dixie Landings - 97
    Contemporary - 03
    ASM - 9/08
    PC 10/09 & 10/10
    FQ 11/12
    BW & CB 6/13
    Off Site (Parkway International) 9/13
    Shades of Green 9/14
    DCL (Wonder) 10/14
    AK Lodge & BW 5/15
    FW 9/15
    Shades of Green 3/16

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

the discount store in DtD is called Mickey's Mart, it is everything $10 and under. Kids might find some toys they like, or you can buy a grab bag so you don't know whats in it!
    Also in DtD, you could go to a candy store like Candy Cauldren or Goofy's Candy Company and get something that says WDW on it and still be inexpensive. You can also find little things like that in resort gift shops. I also suggest Disney's Wonderful World of Memories in DtD because you can buy little things like stickers or stencils or paper to bring home and make a scrapbook of your vacation from supplies you already have.

have fun!
    Dec 27- Best of Both Worlds Tour, Hannah Montana & Miley Cyrus with Jonas Brothers
    Mar 21- Look Me In The Eyes Tour, Jonas Brothers with Rooney
    Aug 27- Burnin' Up Tour, Jonas Brothers with Demi Lovato, The Veronicas, and BIG ROB!

march 09 SENIOR TRIP

Post Thanks / Like

I believe the robot racing attaction in Epcot is closed. The pressed penny idea is great. We are at the World until next Thursday and having a blast!
    Mommy to a Prince & a Princess

Post Thanks / Like

The pressed pennies are a standard for me to bring back. I glue a magnet on the back and the folks are thrilled.

I love the way you think. Save money go back again. I bought a clearance back sack with 2007 on it for only $9.99 I travel with it all the time. Who knew there are clearance racks at the Emporium?

My sister stopped at the Walmart on the way to Broadwalk and got Disney shirts for $5.00.

Another great free souveneer is the coasters in the room. Glue them to a magnet sheet cut and tada.

Happy Hunting
    POR 04/2018
    CB - 01/2018
    Contemporary - 12/2017
    Poly - 06/2017
    GF - 08/2009
    BW - 07/2008
    Contemporary - 11/2007
    Poly - 02/2007
    POR - 12/2004
    Contemporary - 12/2003
    Dixie Landing - 12/2002, 12/2001 8/2000
    Contemporary - 12/1999
    Dixie Landing - 5/1998, 5/1997

Post Thanks / Like

Where can you find those "squished" t-shirts? They're shrink-wrapped really tight into a Mickey Mouse shape that's maybe about the size of your hand. We love those, especially since they're easy to pack-up on the trip home.
    °O°Amy °O° DVC Member
    2011 Dec-Poly with the grandparents--whoo-hoo!!!
    2011 June-SSR!!!!!
    2008 Aug-Colbey&Gray's Birthday surprise-SSR/OKW
    2008 June-SSR
    2006 June-Port Orleans Riverside
    2004 Easter-CSR
    1988 May-Graduation
    1982 Offsite
    1980 Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I'm totally going "cheap" this time, too many kids to buy for! Normally don't do souveniers for everybody, but how do not bring something home for the kids when you were at DISNEY!! We'll be at Mickey's Mart for sure.

And the magnet on the pressed penny idea.....BRILLIANT!!
    LORI
    2012 Boardwalk with DH, DBIL, DSIL, no kids!
    2010 Old Key West, same crowd :)
    2008 Poly with DH, DS, DD and in-laws
    2005 CBR with DH and DS
    2000 POFQ with DH
    1998 CSR with Mom
    1997 CBR with friends
    1992 DL with friends
    1979 & 1985 Offsite as a child

Post Thanks / Like

Another great free souveneer is the coasters in the room. Glue them to a magnet sheet cut and tada.

Happy Hunting [/QUOTE]

Are the room coasters at all resorts?

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by *NikkiJ* View Post
    By now I am probably sounding like a HUGE cheapskate, but I was just wondering if anyone knew where a good spot to get cheap and nice souvenirs
    you want cheap here we go.....

Napkins..... bring some extras home... they got Walt Disney World printed right on them.... you always have one or two left over at lunch... pack them up and bring them home....

Paper Plates they also have the logo printed on them.....

As someone stated the coasters from the room.... I have a nice framed set of the DVC ones......

Paper menus.... I have some framed... they will give them to you if the are just the paper ones.....

Park maps.... You can scrap book with them or just look over them when you get back and remember the fun you had at the parks....

ok that is my cheap things.......

BRET/TTFN
    DVC Member 7/04 Wilderness Lodge Villas 6-08 Saratoga Springs
    Next Trip 6-16
    Disney Cruise 6-16
    Disney World tons of times

Post Thanks / Like

I am always thinking "size matters" when buying souvenirs that have to travel home.

Half of my souvenirs were purchased before we even left for WDW. It was SO easy to know we already had most of our treasures at home and didn't have to lug a lot of things back home with us.

I ordered some beautiful (large) princess water globes for the girls from disneyshopping . com. They were on clearance for about $20 each -- and free shipping! Saw similar globes in the park for about $100. Never would have considered buying 3 of them and transporting them back home, and they were a HUGE hit with the nieces.

Disneyshopping also has lots of personalized items for not very expensive. I ordered custom polo shirts for the boys with their name and character embroidered for just $15. They also sell personalized insulated lunch bags which I believe are under $10.

Also ordered some things for DS2 as little surprises for each day on our trip. Got a plush Pooh for $5 from disneyshopping, and gave it to him the morning we woke up to leave for WDW. Also got action figures (Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Princesses, etc) at 2/$10, which were a great new toy to entertain on the plane.

If you order anything from disneyshopping . com, just Google "disney shopping coupon code" and you'll find codes for % off discounts as well as free shipping codes (and they do permit you to combine codes).

Did plenty of local shopping at home at Wal mart and Target too. Of course I got the park essentials: spray bottle fans, light bracelets and spinners for night time. Both also sell Disney shirts/clothing, so we had plenty to choose from. Our local Dollar Store also had lots of small Disney things such as board books, coloring books, sticker kits, figurines, etc.

Of course we did also buy special WDW keepsakes, like photo albums and frames, the "official" WDW plush Mickey, and our favorite Wilderness Lodge totem carving.

A nice adult souvenir I found at WDW was a solid silver Mickey bottle opener for abour $6. Saw these in many gift shops in MK and also at the Mercantile in WL.

A great small souvenir for kids that is always a bit hit are the Jibbitz for the Crocs. Many of the characters can't be found easily outside of WDW, and they are nice and SMALL to travel home

Remember: it's the thought that counts, and thinking ahead can save LOTS of money

Post Thanks / Like

We have a tradition of getting a few new magnets when we go. You can get them in most any WDW shop (including resort gift shops). They are very inexpensive, they're fun to look at (and play with, if you're a kid), there is a wide range of designs (from basic flat, rectangular magnets to more elaborate molded ones), and you can only find them at WDW.
    11/08: CBR, Off Site (fam)
    11/07: CSR, Off Site (fam)
    2/06-3/06, 12/06: Off Site (fam)
    10/04: CBR
    5/02: ASMu
    12/01: Off Site
    6/01: CSR (honeymoon)
    3/97: Grovesnor
    2/92, 6/94: CBR
    4/90, 2/91: Off Site
    2/89: HoJo (DD), Off Site
    8/88: Buena Vista Palace
    2/83, 2/84, 2/85, 2/86: Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Urbss View Post
    You can even get free souvenirs at Epcot:

At Innoventions East, you can build a small robot at Fantastic Plastic Works — and take it home with you!

When never found this last Nov.
    ~Beth~
    1st trip Nov. 24, 2006-ASmovies (4nights)
    Nov. 25, 2007-ASMovies (6 nights)
    Sept. 6, 2008-ASMovies (6 nights)
    Nov. 28, 2009 ASMovies (7nights)
    Nov 28, 2015 AOA (7 nights)
    December 10, 2016 AKL/Pop (7nights)
    Nov. 25, 2017 AsMusic (8 Nights)
    Next Trip March 4 AsSports (4 nights)

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Cheap Souvenirs

Before you go order a free set of customized maps from Disney. They are really nice and come with your family name on them.
    Also, coasters, swizzle sticks, plastic cups, napkins, resort maps and menus.
    Some resorts even have postcards and stationary for free.
    If it is your birthday or anniversary they will give you a free pin at Guest Relations at any of the parks.
    It's fun finding the pressed pennies. If you want a complete list of all pennie and quarter machines there is one available somewhere.
    Also I noticed that most of the countries have an inexpensive gift or two. Try Japan. They make free candy animals for kids sometimes and used to write your name for you in Japanese.
    If you like pins (like me) the cheapest are like 6.95 now. Get some on ebay and trade up.
    23 days to go!

'Tiggers are wonderful things'
    AKL
    All Star Music/Sports
    Big Red Boat
    CB
    Contemporary Garden
    Disney Institute Bungalow
    FW Campground/Cabin/Home
    Pop
    Poly
    POFQ/POR
    WL

Post Thanks / Like

Default More cheap stuff

I collected those little charms last year too. Fairly inexpensive, fun to sort through. Also antenna ball toppers.

'Tiggers are wonderful things'
    AKL
    All Star Music/Sports
    Big Red Boat
    CB
    Contemporary Garden
    Disney Institute Bungalow
    FW Campground/Cabin/Home
    Pop
    Poly
    POFQ/POR
    WL

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Ropachs View Post
    Oh, I'm totally going "cheap" this time, too many kids to buy for! Normally don't do souveniers for everybody, but how do not bring something home for the kids when you were at DISNEY!! We'll be at Mickey's Mart for sure.
    Heh, I know how you feel. I'm a teaching assistant at a preschool and our next trip to WDW will be during the school year. I know I'm going to have to bring something back for all of my kids... and that will be 20+... and it shouldn't be candy... so I'll definitely be looking for something small and cheap to take home in bulk!

The niecephews can get candy though!
    first trip - January '05, All-Star Movies
    heading for Pop Century in Sept/Oct '09!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: