Quantcast Buh-bye, globe! - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buh-bye, globe!

Post Thanks / Like

Why is it that Disneys fireworks are better than ours since Zambelli isnt too far away.
    Because...we know how to *put on a show*

We're entertainment; it's what we do best (well, most of the time, anyways...LOL). Illuminations: RoE is now almost ten years old, and Wishes is well over 5 years old. I enjoyed Fantasy in the Sky more than Wishes; in fact, I don't think I've ever stopped to see Wishes outside of training my Cast on Main Street for crowd control during the fireworks. However, nearly every time I'm in Epcot, we make it a point to see RoE.

i was only at Epcot a couple of times prior to the Millennium Celebration, so don't really remember the old shows all that much; saw them maybe once or twice. However, I do have the music and shows downloaded and still prefer RoE. But it would be cool to see the old show and RoE combined. With the globe going away, I think "lighting up the world" would be a viable alternative to the globe being gone.
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by I take the Ferry View Post
    Thanks, Tink.

It was there last weekend, which means that they didn't stick to the planned schedule. So, who knows when they'll actually take it down. Tis the season to refurby, so if they're gonna do it, I'd assume it would be soon.

***added later***

Right after I posted this, I went to check Jason's "Tidbits" article. Doh. Should have checked there first. Here's what he knows:

That would be... TODAY! LOL. So, Tink, let us know if they stick to it this time!

K, Slater!
    I take the Ferry!
    Not a problem!!!
    Tina

Life is a prize, live every minute...

Disney World x 100+
    Disney Land x 1
    Disney Land Paris x 2

CaptainJessicaSparrow Guest

Well, tonight there were no Illuminations. At all. Nothing was put out on the lake. So I'm not sure if this was to do with the weather (unlikely since they've done it before in the wind and rain but it's possible) or part of the refurb....

Post Thanks / Like

Globe was part of the show on WEDNESDAY night. Interestingly enough is that there were no pyrotechnics (no fireworks) to accompany said globe. The inferno barge was impressive as always...
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Illuminations was NOT performed Thursday night 8/21 due to the high winds and weather.
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by passholderryan View Post
    I wish they would go back to the old illuminations. The one where they would single out each country, play music unique to each and light it up as the music played.
    I am so with you on that one! I recently heard the old Illuminations score on Mouseworld Radio and it brought back such wonderful memories. I personally think the globe is really boring, in fact it is a running joke between my husband and I. I always like the part when they show the cave paintings on the globe, because then I know they will be starting up the fountains again, and it will at least be a little more interesting. That show really does need more fireworks!
    First Trip- Oct 1978 (9 months old)
    Last Trip- Everett's Summer Vacation June '10
    Next Trip- Everett's 1st Food and Wine Oct '10
    Oct 4-6
    58 trips in between

Well, when I left work today at 6:00pm at Epcot, the globe was still backstage, open and with pieces that appeared to be missing. I think it's safe to say they didn't use it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CandleontheWater View Post
    I personally think the globe is really boring, ... That show really does need more fireworks!
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Default I thought it was Great!

I have only seen illuminations once (2002) and I really liked the show. I hoping to see it again on my trip at the end of Sept/early Oct.
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainJessicaSparrow View Post
    Well, when I left work today at 6:00pm at Epcot, the globe was still backstage, open and with pieces that appeared to be missing. I think it's safe to say they didn't use it.
    No globe last night (Friday)...
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with Mel here. Not a fan of the show. It could go away and I wouldn't miss it.

How about staging something like what is about to be unveiled at DCA? Something that brings the countries and Disney characters together......think IASW redo but on a Disneyland Fantasmic scale. HOT!

Fireworks for the sake of fireworks are boring. Add theming like the Disneyland Castle shooting at the Pirates on the Matterhorn and it becomes way cool entertainment.
    Disney fan....yesterday, today and always!

Sometimes we all need a bit of magic.

433 miles away from Disneyland!
    2,836 miles away from Walt Disney World!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Minniefan68 View Post
    I'm right there with you!

C
    yep I liked that also. either way Illuminations is my fav nightime show. I will see what its like now since Ill be there on the 3rd
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

Watched the show last night - Monday, the 25th of August.

NO GLOBE.

There is some "creative editing" going on with the globe not present. For starters, the show starts about 5 minutes late. Then they skip the music section when the globe moves to the center of the lagoon. At one point, they have pyrotechnics shooting up from the lake - think of white sparks shooting up, not really fireworks.

It was VERY WEIRD not having the globe...

Due to HEAVY rains yesterday afternoon, and a very close lightning strike in EPCOT, Illuminations was not very crowded.
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

I had no idea the globe was going! We just watched it last week, globe and all, and now I'm glad we did! I personally love the globe. It always makes me tear up.
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Quote Originally Posted by Maleficent's Dad View Post

Due to HEAVY rains yesterday afternoon, and a very close lightning strike in EPCOT, Illuminations was not very crowded.
    There was a fire watch for the whole property because we had a lot of strikes in the parks.

I know for a fact we had at least one in the Jungle....it hit something but we can't figure out what. It was definitely that loud, metallic cracking one so it must have been an animatronic.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Ian. Illuminations: ROE is the best night time show. The music is amazing and there is nothing like sitting on the rail at the Cantina De San Angel and taking it all in. I have seen this show many times and I never get tired of it. I wouldn't mind if it was tweaked a little, but the music and the theme of the show are fantastic.

DW and I saw the previous version of Illuminations and we liked it, but she laughed at me the first time we saw ROE, I just sat there with my mouth open.

I have the music on CD, it is very good driving music.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody seen the non-globe show? What's it like? I knwo I could just wait since I'll see it for myself in 17 days but I'm really curious
    KUNGALOOSH FOREVER!!

"Will you stop this foolishness!!"
    "What kind of foolishness would you like to see?"

Post Thanks / Like

Well after reading all these posts, I guess I'm in the minority for one that loves the globe! I think it added such a unique element to the show and gave Illuminations a little something different.

Did I miss a post somewhere or does anyone know when or if it will actually be back???

I'm going the first week of October and I want it there!
    Christmas trip again!! Dec 5-12, 2011 - first time for 3yr old to go along!

Post Thanks / Like

We LOVE the globe in the show; it's part of the storyline.

Saw Illuminations last night without the globe. The ENTIRE middle section of Illuminations is NOT performed (the "globe part"). The "globe music" is not in the show, either. It's a shortened Illuminations, and the finale' is almost a "blowoff" of the inferno barge instead of the torch rising.

We were very disappointed. Again - less show for the money you're paying.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Main Street Jim View Post
    We LOVE the globe in the show; it's part of the storyline.

Saw Illuminations last night without the globe. The ENTIRE middle section of Illuminations is NOT performed (the "globe part"). The "globe music" is not in the show, either. It's a shortened Illuminations, and the finale' is almost a "blowoff" of the inferno barge instead of the torch rising.

We were very disappointed. Again - less show for the money you're paying.

That's disappointing
    KUNGALOOSH FOREVER!!

"Will you stop this foolishness!!"
    "What kind of foolishness would you like to see?"

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: