Quantcast Severe rash on legs

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question Severe rash on legs

Hi not sure where to put this question....but here goes. Everytime I visit the world I get a terrible itchy, burning, red rash on my legs. I don't know what it is but I've also seen others in the park with the same condition. If anyone knows what it is I would like to be proactive and maybe take something to help me battle this condition while I'm in the world.
    Thanks
    1976 offsite (thanks Mom Love ya!!)
    2000 Off site
    2002 All Star Music
    2004 Riverside
    2006 Riverside
    2006 Coronado Springs
    2006/07 Offsite (New Years Eve)
    2007 - 2011 Riverside
    2011 off site
    2011 - Pop Century
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible. - Walt Disney

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

ummm this sounds like "prickly heat"
    this is what i found, it's a little long but i hope it helps

prickly heat is an itchy and red skin rash which often causes a stinging, or prickling, sensation. It often occurs when you sweat more than usual, which is usually due to a hot or humid climate.

Excessive sweating can cause your sweat glands to become blocked, which can trap sweat underneath your skin. This causes irritation and results in a red rash developing

Prickly heat causes a rash to form on your skin. The rash is normally made up of tiny spots, or bumps, surrounded by a patch of red skin. Sometimes, the spots look like tiny blisters. This rash may cause:

* mild swelling,
    * itching, and
    * a stinging or intense prickling sensation.

The rash can affect any part of your body, but most commonly appears on your:

* back,
    * abdomen,
    * neck,
    * upper chest,
    * groin,
    * armpits,
    * hands, or
    * feet.

If you have prickly heat, your symptoms will usually be worse on the areas of your body which are covered by clothing. This is because your clothing can cause friction, and will make you sweat more frequently.

Prickly heat is not a serious condition, and rarely requires any specific treatment. Most rashes will disappear naturally after a few days.

However, if you have prickly heat, there are a number of steps, such as those that are listed below, which may help to ease your symptoms.

* Avoid excessive heat and humidity where possible. Try to spend some time in the shade, or try taking a small fan out with you. Being exposed to heat will only make you sweat more, and could make your rash worse.
    * Wear loose cotton clothing. Avoid wearing synthetic fibres, such as nylon and polyester, because they trap heat more easily than natural fibres.
    * Keep your skin cool. Taking a cool bath, or shower, will help prevent sweating and will also soothe your skin.
    * Calamine lotion can be used if your skin feels sore and irritated. It will help cool and soothe your skin. You can buy it at most pharmacies.
    * Hydrocortisone cream can be used if your rash feels particularly itchy and irritated. You can buy low-strength hydrocortisone cream from your local pharmacy. However, avoid using this cream on your face, and always follow the instructions on the packet.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never had this rash, but I've read about it on Intercot before. From what I've read, it's from little pieces of glass that's in the asphalt/concrete and the sun reflects off of it.

I have no idea of the validity of this, but I've read it more than once on this board.

To try to avoid this:....hhhmmmm, wear pants, put sunscreen on your legs, take some benadryl.....
    WDW is my happy place

Post Thanks / Like

ha! I have this rash right now. I get it whenever I visit WDW in the heat. I went to the first AID station in about 1991 and they said it was an allergy to the pavement. However it only happens in the heat and not in cooler weather. So as mentioned above it is some sort of heat rash however it only occurs w/ the exposed area and not under the fabric like a typical heat rash. Their sidewalks do produce a lot of heat and there is a lot of pavement. It also starts more as red blotches for me. I was just wondering if any other conditions contribute to it? Both my sister and I get it and both of us started about the same time, in the early 90's??
    Next
    DD, DS @ AKV Dec 12 SSR 12-16

AKV Savannah 8/08
    ASMu my BD 4/08 w/ Angel & MrsSgtT
    SSR 10/07 BWV-12/06
    Pop-05 04 03 1st Nighters
    OKW-97 96 Poly- 89 87 86 CR:72
    Offsite:8xs FW:83 82 82 DL 67,68,71

Post Thanks / Like

I have had something like this before, its a heat/friction rash....cornstarch or powder helps...wear ventilated clothes to allow air onto your skin because it seems worse when you are sweaty.

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Default Golfer's Vasculitis

Click here: Leg Rash from Heat

I don't know if this (above) will work as a link. If not, google "Golfer's Vasculitis" and "Wendy Bumgardner" (she's the writer of a good article).

I,too, get this rash at WDW (when it's hot). Very annoying!

Post Thanks / Like

I have had this same problem a couple of times, although not as severe as yours, it sounds like. It faded after a couple of days, but I mentioned it to my doctor who said that he sees this kind of thing a lot in the summertime. It's either one of two things, either a heat rash (inflammation of the hair follicles) intensified on the ankles because of the heat rising from the pavement or an inflammation of the blood vessels in the legs because of the heat. In any case, there's really no treatment he knew of that was very effective, except just taking frequent breaks from walking on hot pavement (kind of hard to do at WDW, I know!) He also said to avoid putting lotions and ointments on your legs before doing a lot of walking in hot weather, as this would potentially would make it worse. I can't imagine it would hurt to apply some benadryl or calamine lotion after you get back to the hotel in the evenings, as long as it is washed off before you go out again the next day.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

I live here in Fl, I know exactly what your talking about. Everytime I work outside, I breek out in a heat rash only in the summer. The docs has told me there is a mediacted lotion for it. But he also said I can use Selsuin Blue shampoo. Leave it on for 10 mins before you shower. Shampoo does takes a few days longer to work....about a week. I'd buy a bottle a start using it a few days before you leave on the spots that you know you break out.
    Hope this helps
    Pimpin aint dead.... its just renamed.... Frozen.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Thanks for all the info....I had no idea. I too live in FL and have for all my life but I only get this rash when I go to WDW. Does anyone have any more info regarding the reaction to the ashphalt??
    2000 Off site
    2002 All Star Music
    2004 Riverside
    2006 Riverside
    2006 Coronado Springs
    2007 - 2011 Riverside
    2011 off site
    2011 - Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

Default rash

I too have had the same rash every time I visit the world. I am the only one that had it in my family.My children didn't have it nor did my husband I thought it might be a heat rash I come from Massachusetts and and it gets quite hot and humid here in the summer months but I never got that rash at home.as soon as
    I get home it goes away very strange.
    Trips To WDW
    WDW-1991-Off Site
    WDW-2001-Off Site
    WDW-2005-Off Site
    Aug 2006 all star movies
    Aug 2008 POP Century
    Aug 2009-POP

April 2010-ASMu
    Aug 2011 all star music

Post Thanks / Like

My wife got a similar rash our last trip in June and when she talked about with the pharmycist at the walgreens near DD, he suggested an over the counter product that was primarily designed to treat razor burn for women....it worked well and her rash went right away.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by motherof4 View Post
    I too have had the same rash every time I visit the world. I am the only one that had it in my family.My children didn't have it nor did my husband I thought it might be a heat rash I come from Massachusetts and and it gets quite hot and humid here in the summer months but I never got that rash at home.as soon as
    I get home it goes away very strange.
    I think it might be that at WDW you spend all day walking on sidewalks and pavement, while at home probably not so much. And I'm sure some people are just more prone to it then others. I know neither my son nor husband have ever had a problem either, I seem to be the only one that gets this kind of rash.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

What an interesting thread! This is my first summertime trip to WDW (next week), I usually visit in cooler months. For those of you who get the rash...are you prone to other skin conditions? Rosacea? Eczema? Just wondering if there is a correlation. I hope I don't get it!! I tend to get "red" easily..I have a mild rosacea..wondering if there is a connection.
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have any skin conditions other than I seem to have deveolped sensitive skin in my "old age"( I'm 36)
    2000 Off site
    2002 All Star Music
    2004 Riverside
    2006 Riverside
    2006 Coronado Springs
    2007 - 2011 Riverside
    2011 off site
    2011 - Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

I sometimes get this rash when I'm at WDW. The only other time I get it is when I'm in salt water at the beach. I don't understand how the pavement contributes to the rash, can someone please help me understand this?
    Thanks,
    IamBelle
    VMK: DaffyD
    Trips to WDW
    June 2001on my B-Day!Off Prop.
    August 2005 Off Prop.
    August 2006 ASMov.
    August 2008- Pop Century
    August 2009-ASMu
    April 2010-ASMu w/marching band
    Aug. 2011 ASMu
    Aug. 2012 Off Prop.