Quantcast WDW Weather Forecast (including Gustav & Hannah) - Aug 31-Sept 16, 2008

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Each day in August, I'll update this first post with the forecast, both long and short term. As a general rule, up to 7 days is a pretty accurate forecast, beyond that it's educated guessing and largely dependent upon how well the models are doing at that moment. If you have any specific weather questions or comments, even if it's for an area other than WDW, please post and I'll answer throughout the thread. I'll also post weather tidbits every so often. Without further delay, let's get to the forecast:

Weather at WDW - Updated Sunday pm, August 31, 2008
    So, as of Sunday afternoon we're up to about 4,200 views of this thread for the month of August. That has to be some sort of Intercot record. You'd think you folks were interested in the weather.

The outer feeder bands from Gutav will sweep across FL today and some tomorrow, mostly in the morning, bringing periods of heavy rain and a high of 88 each day. Neither day will be a rain out, but when it does rain will be tropical type rains so be ready. Tuesday through Friday WDW will be caught in sinking air from all sides with the remnants of Gustav to the west and Hannah to the east. Current models take Hannah past FL's east coast, but the west side of the storm is the "dry" side and right now it looks like through Friday WDW will have highs 91-93 with only very isolated afternoon thunderstorms. It will be VERY humid. Next Saturday and Sunday a little disturbance kicks up and there will be scattered thunderstorms with highs 90-92.

Now for voodooland...As always, tropical systems can disrupt the long term forecast, but for now September 8-11 looks like highs 90-92 with scattered afternoon thunderstorms. A front moves in on the evening of the 11th which really won't kick off many more thunderstorms, but the humidity will be lower for the 12th and highs Sept 12-16 should be upper 80s with only isolated afternoon thunderstorms. The models are keeping the tropics quite active, though, so that will need to be watched.

Travel Impact
    At 12:00 pm CDT, Lake Charles, New Orleans, and Mobile are all closed due to Gustav. Expect a LOT of delays across LA, east TX, AR, MS, and maybe even AL today, tomorrow, and Tuesday. Some delays could occur across FL tomorrow due to high winds, but shouldn't be too major.

Tropics

***UPDATED 9:15 pm CDT***

No change on the Gustav information. Tornado warnings are starting to break out and pressure is dropping, though latest winds were still at 115 mph (Cat 3). There's some change in the Hannah info below.

Gustav weakened substantially overnight in the face of strong southerly wind shear and interaction with the terrain of Cuba. The eye became ragged and convection decreased. Winds dropped to 115 mph at early afternoon. Winds are expected to increase back to 130 mph, keeping it a Category Three hurricane. Slightly cooler water, continued wind shear and dry ir entrainment are working against any further intensity increase.

With the faster motion, Gustav will make landfall during the late morning hours on Labor Day. However, faster motion also means increased storm surge. That landfall will likely come over southern Terrebonne Parish.

Tornadoes will be a problem, especially within about a 200 mile radius of the center. Once inland, the GFS stalls Gustav over West Louisiana; this could set up a very dangerous flooding threat for Louisiana, the southern part of Arkansas, and the western half of Mississippi this week. If the stall happens, some spots could see 15 to 20 inches of rain in the corridor from Jackson to Shreveport.

Let's talk about coastal impact:
    LA COAST - increasing showers, winds rising to over 25 mph this afternoon into tonight. Showers already showing up off Louisiana coast. Tropical storm force winds arrive after midnight, strong tropical storm force winds by daybreak, overspreading the area. Hurricane force winds reach coast by midmorning tomorrow. Sustained hurricane force winds in New Orleans from late morning though late afternoon. Winds push water into Lake Ponchartrain through the morning and into the south shore. As hurricane passes, winds shift and shove water against north shore. Worst case, trajectories midmorning blow water into eastern New Orleans. Of particular concern will be the area in eastern St. Bernard and and where St. Bernanrd meets Plaqueemines and west of Lake Borgne, where Orleans and St. Bernard meet. 14-15 feet of surge could happen here. Slidell will have an easterly fetch for a long, long period of time, which will cause serious tidal flooding, even though winds will likely not reach hurricane force.

MS/AL/FL
    Increasing surf and riptides. Easterly winds gusting to over 25 mph starting this afternoon. Tropical storm force winds arrive after midnight. Winds stay above tropical storm force until midafternoon when winds will shift to southeast, allowing water to levels to rise. Tides will rise to 6-8 feet in places.

MORE ON STORM SURGE
    Louisianans remember Betsy, which follwed a similar track in 1965. Betsy was about the same intensity as Gustav now. But Gustav is expected to intensify. Faster storm helps with storm surge. This may be critical. Official forecast calls for 18-25 foot storm surge in locations east of the center track. Some notes: A worst case on the Mississippi Coast would be around 17 feet, but I don’t think that is going to happen with the predicted wind trajectories on the current track. Same for Lake Ponchartrain, especially after storm passes to west. In Lake Maurepas, 14-15 feet. Prior to the passing of the eye, the south shore of Lake Ponchartrain may see 13-14 feet, which is more than Katrina. Water will pour into the West Back from the south. Surge heights in that area could be 10-12 feet. The rule is that one mile of wetland can knock down one foto of surge. In St. Charles, water will likely reach US-90, which is well inland.

Now, about Hannah. Those of you heading to WDW I know are concerned about this one. Things are basically the same this evening. Peak winds are remaining at 45 mph with shear preventing development, but that will change. The latest NHC track at 8 pm EDT still has Hannah as hurricane making landfall around Savannah, GA Friday afternoon. As WDW would be on the western side it shouldn't deal with any rain impact, though the heat would be higher as a result. The models continued to diverge tonight on Hannah, which concerns me more than it did this afternoon. The UK has stayed with it's original idea of taking Hannah south towards Cuba, over the FL Keys and into FL around Tampa. The NOGAPS, which earlier was taking Hannah into GA has now switched back to the idea of a Daytona landfall on Thursday. Those two remain outliers from the other models which still take Hannah up into SC/NC depending on the model, but as I mentioned with both Fay and Gustav, we have to watch these outliers because sometimes that particular model picks up on something before the other models do. And sometimes it's just off its rocker. The fact that the NOGAPS has readjusted south says something may be going on, but that's not for sure. The GFS, GFDL, and HWRF all bring it into the Carolinas late Friday or Saturday. Right now I'd say it's a 60-40 chance that WDW won't be impacted, but let's see what the morning models have to say and what features are popping up that will impact this storm's movement.

Invest 97 is going to struggle to develop for the next 2-3 days as it moves throuh unfavorable conditions and it may or may not grow into anything more. Right now the models bring it towards the Bahamas late this week, but we'll have to see if it hangs together to become anything. Invest 98, not far behind, will most likely become a tropical depression. It will probably become Ike pretty soon. Or maybe Josephine depending on what 97 does. However, right now the models are curving 98 out to sea with no threat to the US coast.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

The Tropical system out in the Atlantic is now Tropical Storm Fay. The planes that they sent out to it recorded winds from 58-66 mph. Our news station down here reported that it could either curve early and just go north out to sea, stay west and efect the Gulf of Mexico, or go right along the coast of Florida and efect everyone up and down the coast.

The cone that they showed right now has it anywhere from the Atlantic to the Gulf. Nobody knows where this thing is going to go.
    ŴĐŴ∫âňăŧĭć aka David ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

um, what's voodooland?

Post Thanks / Like

Chris,
    HELP!!!
    We're supposed to fly into MCO on Weds. morning. Any chance that's gonna happen???
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

We too are flying in Wed. Get lost Faye!
    Ralph
    1996: CB (Oct)
    1997: PO (Sept)
    1998: PO (Sept)
    1999: Poly/BC (Aug)
    2000: PO/BC (Sept)
    2001: BC (Aug)
    2002: BC (Aug)
    2004: BC (Aug)
    2004: BC (Dec)
    2005: BC (June)
    2006: BC (Aug)
    2008: YC (Aug)
    2012: YC (Sept)
    2013: BC (Sept)
    2014: YC (Sept)
    2015: YC (Sept)
    2017: YC (Sept)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sndral View Post
    um, what's voodooland?
    That's days 8-16 of the model runs where forecasting is pure voodoo. The models just aren't accurate enough that far out and things are constantly weird and changing. I can tell general patterns but no forecast beyond 7 days will be very accurate.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strmchsr View Post
    For voodooland...Right now August 23-31 looks hot and humid. Highs in the 91-95 range with isolated to scattered afternoon thunderstorms each day. The GFS is still taking system #2 out to sea, but that bears watching as well.
    Sounds good to me, yes it sounds hot, but it's August right. Hopefully voodooland will not change too much. Thanks for the report.
    Mary

Been there, done that, definitely going back!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maleficent's Dad View Post
    Chris,
    HELP!!!
    We're supposed to fly into MCO on Weds. morning. Any chance that's gonna happen???
    Yeah, I think you'll make it in okay. Be ready to deal with some turbulence and potential delays, but given the timing of the models I think you'll make it in okay. However, it may be Monday before that timing really begins to be more certain.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RALPH View Post
    We too are flying in Wed. Get lost Faye!

Good Luck Ralph, and all those traveling next week! You'll be in my thoughts for safe, swift travel! Don't let Faye rain on your parade! Have a great time at BC, and let me know how the trip goes!
    Jen :)

CR-1981
    offsite-1985
    Marriott Grande Vista 2002
    WL 2004
    Poly 2005
    CR Atrium Club 2006
    Poly 2007
    Beach Club CL, Grand Floridian 2008
    Beach Club CL 2009
    GF Royal Palm Club CL 2010
    WL CL 2011
    CR Presidential Suite 2012
    BC Club Level 2012
    Poly CL 2015

Post Thanks / Like

CURRENT PATH:
    8:00am - Tuesday - Landfall Florida West Coast
    8:00am - Wednesday - North Central Florida
    The path is directly up Gulf Coast to Center of Florida
    Heavy rains for Orlando Tue-Wed-Thu

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE ADVISORY:
    TROPICAL STORM FAY INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY NUMBER 8A...CORRECTED
    NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL062008
    200 PM EDT SUN AUG 17 2008

A HURRICANE WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE FLORIDA KEYS FROM SOUTH
    OF OCEAN REEF TO KEY WEST...INCLUDING THE DRY TORTUGAS AND FLORIDA
    BAY...AND ALONG THE FLORIDA MAINLAND FROM CARD SOUND BRIDGE
    WESTWARD TO ANNA MARIA ISLAND. A HURRICANE WATCH MEANS THAT
    HURRICANE CONDITIONS ARE POSSIBLE WITHIN THE WATCH AREA...GENERALLY
    WITHIN 36 HOURS

Reference: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jen C. View Post
    Good Luck Ralph, and all those traveling next week! You'll be in my thoughts for safe, swift travel! Don't let Faye rain on your parade! Have a great time at BC, and let me know how the trip goes!

Thanks Jen!
    Ralph
    1996: CB (Oct)
    1997: PO (Sept)
    1998: PO (Sept)
    1999: Poly/BC (Aug)
    2000: PO/BC (Sept)
    2001: BC (Aug)
    2002: BC (Aug)
    2004: BC (Aug)
    2004: BC (Dec)
    2005: BC (June)
    2006: BC (Aug)
    2008: YC (Aug)
    2012: YC (Sept)
    2013: BC (Sept)
    2014: YC (Sept)
    2015: YC (Sept)
    2017: YC (Sept)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the constant updates, Chris!

I'm guessing that the next three days will be pretty tense - at least for those of us travelling to WDW!!! I'll be watching the NHS website as well as the updates provided here.

Just sitting tight, preparing for a nice trip to the Boardwalk, and waiting...

Not much we can do about it. But man, it is frustrating!!!

(Kinda glad we purchased that vacation insurance with hurricanes always in the back of our minds! )
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Hi Chris-Thanks very much for all your hard work!!! I am one of the lucky ones leaving Boston on Wednesday morning for Orlando. I have my fingers crossed. I appreciate all your feedback on the storm.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SnowWSue View Post
    Hi Chris-Thanks very much for all your hard work!!! I am one of the lucky ones leaving Boston on Wednesday morning for Orlando. I have my fingers crossed. I appreciate all your feedback on the storm.
    Glad to do it. Sorry I can't be more specific. This storm is driving me nuts. I think you'll be okay on Wednesday morning. Just be aware that you'll definitely hit turbulence on the way down, but it'll be okay. Hopefully the storm will get out and give you a great vacation!
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

Any idea how long it will linger around WDW?
    Sandy °o° VFK name DisneyDreamin,First trip in 1972-Off site ,In between so many I can't count,3/04 PC,11/28-12/05/04 POR,Feb,13-22,'06 PC,Dec,4, 07 FWR,DVC,AKV07, DLR's DPPH 9-13-20,'09,Stitch/Buzz Complex Cast Member

Post Thanks / Like

Southwest now has the following on their website:
    Due to the conditions surrounding Tropical Storm Fay, our scheduled service to/from Orlando (MCO) on Tuesday, August 19 will be disrupted; and as such, our MCO flights may be delayed, diverted, or cancelled.
    Bad news for those coming to / leaving from MCO tomorrow. If Southwest is doing it, you can bet the majority of the other airlines will be doing the same.

No word yet on Wednesday's schedules; I'm booked to fly out of MCO early Wednesday morning; here's hopes!
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

I guess it's hard to predict right now but I'm REALLY worried our flights next Thursday are going to be canceled I know its early but Im very worried.

Chris
    Remembering the Magic:
    March 1997 - Off site
    March 1999 - Caribbean Beach Resort
    May 2007 - Pop Century & Caribbean Beach Resort
    September 2007 - Pop Century Resort
    August 2008 - Coronado Springs Resort

UP NEXT::
    October 2009//MNSSHP//CSR!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WinnipegDisneyFanatic View Post
    I guess it's hard to predict right now but I'm REALLY worried our flights next Thursday are going to be canceled I know its early but Im very worried.

Chris
    Don't sweat it. Right now you look fine. The little wave the models are looking at wouldn't disrupt flights. It's the potential Gustav coming later we'll have to look at. I'll keep a watch on it and let you know if that changes.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

Chris, thank you so much for tracking the WDW weather for us, you're terrific.

Karen
    2001 ASMo, 2003 Royal Pacific and Poly, 2004 Beach Club, 2005 Cabins at FW, 2007 Poly, 2008 Poly and Hard Rock, 2009 Portofino and Poly, 2014 Royal Pacific and Kidani

Post Thanks / Like

We fly out there on the 31st from New Zealand, now I am just hoping it will be gone and clear by then.

D
    It's gonna be the future soon
    I won't always be this way
    When the things that make me weak and strange get engineered away
    -Emil Bleehall - Adventurer of the Year!

Next Stop... MNSSHP Oct. 2011! Oh boy here we go!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: