Quantcast cruise first timer..

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default cruise first timer..

so me and my fiance are going on a cruise for part of our honeymoon. we are doing a 4 day royal carribean cruise on there soverign of the seas ship..
    i have been going on looking at the crusiecritic website..ever since wendy at magical journeys told me about it (she booked my whole honeymoon for me)..
    and it has been helpful..
    but can you guys give any tips about what to expect..
    and i really wanna know how i should pack..or what i should pack..anything i should know that i wouldnt since i have never done a cruise before..
    thanx for the help and advice in advance
    *bRiTTaNy*
    35 trips to WDW already...
    May 2012 - Daughters first trip - one bedroom Villa at Wilderness Lodge
    Sept 2012 - Pirate room at CBR
    Dec 2014 - SSR -second daughters first trip and my older daughters 5th Birthday!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Cruise Critic has a whole section for first-time cruisers. I think all your questions likely will be answered there.

Have a great trip!
    12/99-All-Star Sports * 5/01-POR * 4/02-AKL * 5/03-DL * 5/04-POFQ * 2/05-POR * 5/05-offsite * 10/05-WL * 12/05-DL * 2/06-offsite * 12/06-POP * 4/07-Coronado Springs * 10/07-WL * 4/08-POFQ * 5/10-POFQ * 7/12-DL * 2/14-DL * 6/15-YC

Next Trip ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tick-Tock View Post
    Cruise Critic has a whole section for first-time cruisers. I think all your questions likely will be answered there.

Have a great trip!
    yes i know that...as i wrote in my orginal post that i have been going there and looking..
    figured it wouldnt hurt to ask here on what people may have to say here about packing for a cruise...
    but it seems no one goes on cruises here and can help me out......
    *bRiTTaNy*
    Dec 2014 - SSR -second daughters first trip and my older daughters 5th Birthday!!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I saw your comment that you'd been on Cruise Critic. I just didn't know if you'd seen the first-time section. And there are a lot of threads about packing in the CC message boards.

As far as what to pack, don't overpack. There's not much space in the room for storing stuff, plus baggage fees are bad and getting worse! We've found it helpful to use duffel bags, since they go flat and we can slide them right under the bed when they're unpacked.

Is this for the Caribbean? Shorts or capris, t-shirts, Tevas or sandals for day.

A pair of khakis or nicer capris or a casual skirt for non-formal nights in the dining room.

Maybe something dressier for formal night if there is one (or plan to eat in the buffet or with room service rather than the dining room) - don't forget shoes (I had to find a shoe store in San Juan once because I forgot my black dressy shoes).

A light sweater or jacket for evening (can get chilly up on deck or in the air-conditioned dining room).

A hat and comfortable shoes for port stops (can be the aforementioned Tevas or sandals). Think about what excursions you're going to want to do - I haven't tried it, but I imagine that flip flops probably would be a bad choice for ziplining, for example.

Swimsuit (or two if you plan a lot of swimming and don't like pulling on a wet suit).

A backpack or tote bag to carry a towel or a book if you're hitting the beach (Carnival provided beach towels we could take into port, so we didn't need to pack one) and carry purchases back to ship. If RCCL doesn't provide beach towels, you might want to bring one or plan to buy one in port.

Sunglasses, sunscreen.

Basic medical stuff (bandaids, aspirin)

Wet wipes and stain remover (like Shout wipes).
    12/99-All-Star Sports * 5/01-POR * 4/02-AKL * 5/03-DL * 5/04-POFQ * 2/05-POR * 5/05-offsite * 10/05-WL * 12/05-DL * 2/06-offsite * 12/06-POP * 4/07-Coronado Springs * 10/07-WL * 4/08-POFQ * 5/10-POFQ * 7/12-DL * 2/14-DL * 6/15-YC

Next Trip ???

Post Thanks / Like

cruise critic also saved me, there are some great tips on the message boards. i hear the SOS is one of the smaller royal carib. ships with very small staterooms. what really saved me was one of those over the door shoe racks, for things like brushes, hair clips, make up, razors, socks, etc. we traveled with 2 teenagers so for us it was a life saver. there is very little room in the bathroom for anything.

another surprise for us is how it really isn't "all inclusive" tipping at the end of the week cost us an additional $450 (for 4 of us) between the waiters stateroom attendants, taxi drivers, people who ran the excursions etc. drinks were of course extra and aren't cheap. soda, extra, icecream, extra, specialty coffee extra,
    you get the picture. with four of us on a seven day cruise we were forced to have our laundry done mid week and it was very expensive.

so just allow for all that and you'll be fine. royal carib service is outstanding and you'll have a blast.

if they have the "love &marriage" and "quest" show don't miss it. its hysterical.

Post Thanks / Like

My boyfriend and I just got back last Friday from Soverign of the Seas. It was also our first time cruising. We had a blast and can't wait to plan another cruise
    The staterooms are small, but I didn't have any storage problems. We carried small travel size toiletries and there were 3 shelves in the bathroom to store things on. All our clothes (except underthings) got hung up and there are hangers provided. There are also shelves in the closet and I utilized these for my shoes.
    I nested as many suitcases together as could fit and they got shoved under the bed. Another suitcase was between the foot of the bed and the vanity and another was next to the bed between the bed and the little storage cupboard that was there.
    You will be expected to tip at the end of the cruise as mentioned above but this is normal with any cruise, not just RCI. We also purchased the souvenier soda cups for $24 each but got unlimited sodas from wherever we wanted. They'll put a little stamp on your SeaPass Card (room key). Otherwise a can of soda was $1.95. We're Pepsi drinkers and we also brought a 12 pack and went thru that as well. We brought a case of water and didn't drink that much of it but we should have
    I can't think of anything else right now but I'm sure I will later.
    One more question, do you know your stateroom number? You can go to RCI's website and look it up and see an illustration of your cabin.
    Oh, one more thing. The shower. Tiny, tiny, tiny. I'm a plus sized lady and did fine though. Just had to fight with the shower curtain every morning while it billowed into the shower with me, lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Piglet822 View Post
    My boyfriend and I just got back last Friday from Soverign of the Seas. It was also our first time cruising. We had a blast and can't wait to plan another cruise
    The staterooms are small, but I didn't have any storage problems. We carried small travel size toiletries and there were 3 shelves in the bathroom to store things on. All our clothes (except underthings) got hung up and there are hangers provided. There are also shelves in the closet and I utilized these for my shoes.
    I nested as many suitcases together as could fit and they got shoved under the bed. Another suitcase was between the foot of the bed and the vanity and another was next to the bed between the bed and the little storage cupboard that was there.
    You will be expected to tip at the end of the cruise as mentioned above but this is normal with any cruise, not just RCI. We also purchased the souvenier soda cups for $24 each but got unlimited sodas from wherever we wanted. They'll put a little stamp on your SeaPass Card (room key). Otherwise a can of soda was $1.95. We're Pepsi drinkers and we also brought a 12 pack and went thru that as well. We brought a case of water and didn't drink that much of it but we should have
    I can't think of anything else right now but I'm sure I will later.
    One more question, do you know your stateroom number? You can go to RCI's website and look it up and see an illustration of your cabin.
    Oh, one more thing. The shower. Tiny, tiny, tiny. I'm a plus sized lady and did fine though. Just had to fight with the shower curtain every morning while it billowed into the shower with me, lol.
    i believe our room is 1056..its a junior suite!! im so excited!!
    i have heard the bathrooms are rather small..
    and i guess you just gotta be crafty with the way you do things on the ship! lol..
    wow 24 dollars for the cup? i thought disney was expesnsive for theres..wow was i wrong! lol..
    thanx everyone for the help...if anyone has anything else to add..please do!!
    that shoe rack idea sounds good..
    *bRiTTaNy*

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizNee143 View Post
    i believe our room is 1056..its a junior suite!! im so excited!!
    i have heard the bathrooms are rather small..
    and i guess you just gotta be crafty with the way you do things on the ship! lol..
    wow 24 dollars for the cup? i thought disney was expesnsive for theres..wow was i wrong! lol..
    thanx everyone for the help...if anyone has anything else to add..please do!!
    that shoe rack idea sounds good..
    Yes, I thought it was rather pricey myself but when you think about it, they charge almost $2 for a can of soda on board, if you drink a lot of soda it'll be worth it. We kept ours with us everywhere we went on the ship, I'm actually using mine this very minute. I find it keeps the ice and soda colder longer. A great souvenir.
    Don't forget to drink water, too. We kind of neglected that and ended up taking a 2 - 3 hour nap after our Atlantis excursion because we were just plain exhausted from the heat and the walking.
    Have a great time on your honeymoon

Post Thanks / Like

We've never cruised with RCI but have cruised with DCL. My "not to be left at home" item is a power strip... much more than the over the door shoe hanger (which we never removed from its packaging).
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shower curtain help for Piglet (& other hints)

As a veteran cruiser, I thought I'd offer a hint for billowing shower curtains (that always want to stick to your wet body). Bring a few clothes pins with you and clip them to the bottom of the shower curtain. The extra weight will keep them hanging straight a little better. Also handy for longer cruises when you need to wash up a few items in the cabin.

And definitely: a power strip (you'll have one outlet); over the door shoe holder for toiletries, cameras, sunblock, maybe even shoes; a small (tiny) purse- maybe with a wrist strap- for carrying your cabin keycard & a tissue when you leave your cabin (unless all of your pants have pockets) (do not carry your pocketbook around the ship- LOL); alarm clock- preferably one that lights up; sticky note pad for writing notes to cabin steward and to traveling companion when you leave early and they're still asleep; sweater or shawl- many ships have overzealous A/C. Also, if you are a coffee addict (like me), you might want to bring a travel mug (insulated with a lid). The cups at the buffet in the AM are small. Fill your mug at the coffee station and sit outside in the sun, watching the ocean.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Lynn View Post

a small (tiny) purse- maybe with a wrist strap- for carrying your cabin keycard & a tissue when you leave your cabin (unless all of your pants have pockets) (do not carry your pocketbook around the ship- LOL
    can i ask why i shouldnt carry my purse around the ship? im using a tote bag as my purse for the whole honeymoon..now i dont know what to do..
    *bRiTTaNy*

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizNee143 View Post
    can i ask why i shouldnt carry my purse around the ship? im using a tote bag as my purse for the whole honeymoon..now i dont know what to do..
    I opted for a small purse that I was able to put over my head and it would hang at my side. No worries about dropping it, someone grabbing it, etc. It was the perfect size for my sunglasses, lip balm, and a small case that it came with for my ID and room card.

Post Thanks / Like

im so scared about getting seasick also...im sure ill get myself all worked up about that i will end up feeling sick anyways...im gonna stock up on some bonine before hand..and takeit before i even get onthe ship..there was something else i wanted to ask you guys..but of course i forgot..ill be back when i remember!
    *bRiTTaNy*

Post Thanks / Like

Default purses & Bonine

First: yes, start your Bonine the day before you cruise. I take it every evening until I get acclimated to the ship. I use the generic version (meclizine); this is the drug that's given out onboard most cruiselines (at the purser's desk). Of course, most ships have an infirmary where the medical staff have the heavy duty seasickness meds! Note that meclizine (Bonine), the scope patch (not recommended), and all the Dramamines are seasickness preventatives, they will not cure seasickness wants it's got you down. Visit the infirmary (extra cost) for the seasickness treatment meds.

That said, you'll probably be fine- most ships are so stable and with radar, etc, the captains avoid as much rough weather as possible.

On to the pocketbooks: when you leave your bedroom and go to your kitchen for breakfast, do you carry your pocketbook with you? At all times in your house? Think of the cruise ship as your home. Your cabin is not that far away. You'll be in and out of the cabin throughout the day, so just take what you absolutely need. A small tote bag is fine for going to the pool for the afternoon (sunblock, book, glasses, etc). But don't try to carry a large bag through the buffet lines or even in the dining rooms. (You'll have your tray in one hand, a drink in the other and your bag in the third LOL or tucked under your arm- where someone bumps it, sending that pina colada right down your front.) In the dining room, tables will be close together- your bag will be a tripping hazard. Out on the pool deck, the floor will be wet most of the time, so you'd have to keep the bag up on your chair. At the shows- more tripping unless it's on your lap. Your cabin will have a safe to hold all your valuables.

Use that tote bag for shore excursions.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Being you're going to be on your honeymoon I suggest you break your new hubby in early, have him carry your lipstick and key card if your pants don't have pockets.
    Now on a more serious note, you really have no reason to carry a purse around with you on the ship. The only other thing I have to carry during the day are my sunglasses if I want to go outside.
    Remember the cruise lines don't except cash on board, all purchases go on to your room account and you will settle at the end of your cruise with a credit card charge. You can also give them cash or travelers checks at the beginning of the cruise to guarnantee your charges if you don't want to use a credit card. The other method of avoiding using a credit card is to purchase Onboard Credits prior to sailing.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheDuckRocks View Post
    Being you're going to be on your honeymoon I suggest you break your new hubby in early, have him carry your lipstick and key card if your pants don't have pockets.
    Now on a more serious note, you really have no reason to carry a purse around with you on the ship. The only other thing I have to carry during the day are my sunglasses if I want to go outside.
    Remember the cruise lines don't except cash on board, all purchases go on to your room account and you will settle at the end of your cruise with a credit card charge. You can also give them cash or travelers checks at the beginning of the cruise to guarnantee your charges if you don't want to use a credit card. The other method of avoiding using a credit card is to purchase Onboard Credits prior to sailing.
    thats right..why wont they just take cash? it would be so much easier!! lol...ill look into this credit stuff! or ill do the whole cash thing..cuz i plan on doing most of our spending with cash...ahh we'll see what happens..
    thanx again for all the help!!
    *bRiTTaNy*

Post Thanks / Like

Default DIzNee 143- one more thing!

I thought of one more issue (which your TA might have already mentioned). Due to Homeland Security requirements, the name on your cruise documents should match the name on whatever ID you're providing to get onboard.

If you're using a Passport for Rebecca Maiden-name, you should be listed with the cruiseline as Rebecca Maiden-name. (Similarly if you're using the combo of a Driver's License and Birth Cert, which I assume still say Rebecca Maiden-name.)

If the cruiseline has you on their manifest as Mrs. Rebecca Hubby-surname, you may have problems getting onboard unless you can show the legal connection between Rebecca Maiden-name and Rebecca Hubby-surname. If the honeymoon is right after the wedding, you may not have received a legal marriage cert in time to show the connection.

If the TA has not discussed this, ask her if it's still an issue with Homeland Security. We always use Passports (and haven't had a name change in decades LOL), so I don't know what is currently required. (My Dad remarried in April, so I know what he and his new bride had to do back then. )

And congrats on the upcoming marriage & have a wonderful cruise!

Post Thanks / Like

For our upcoming cruise in October, everything says that the names on Princess's list HAS to match the names on the ID. They particularly ask honeymooners to take note of this.

Next Trip ???

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

As the above mentioned TA, she has the correct name on her reservation! Not to worry on that end!

My spidey sense is telling me that the lovely bride and I should do phone one day soon so she can ask me all of her questions! All of you have given her some great information, and now it is my turn to fill in the gaps! Besides, I need to get the latest wedding scoop!

RCL does not allow any beverages of any kind to be brought onboard anymore. They have tightened up that loophole, including the one where you could send yourself a gift basket from a company with beverages inside it. Some creative people (if you read other cruise boards) have perfected the fine art of smuggling stuff on board, but it is not recommended.

Wendy
    Wendy Lewis
    Vacation Specialist
    Magical Journeys
    http://www.yourmagicaljourneys.com
    The Magic begins with YOU!
    The Official Travel Agency of INTERCOT.com

Visit me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/WendyLewisA...JourneysTravel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coloradowendyl View Post
    Hi,

As the above mentioned TA, she has the correct name on her reservation! Not to worry on that end!

My spidey sense is telling me that the lovely bride and I should do phone one day soon so she can ask me all of her questions! All of you have given her some great information, and now it is my turn to fill in the gaps! Besides, I need to get the latest wedding scoop!

RCL does not allow any beverages of any kind to be brought onboard anymore. They have tightened up that loophole, including the one where you could send yourself a gift basket from a company with beverages inside it. Some creative people (if you read other cruise boards) have perfected the fine art of smuggling stuff on board, but it is not recommended.

Wendy
    lol thanx wendy!!!!!!!
    i dont think i really have any questions..but im sure if we were to start talking im sure id end up with a million! lol
    the only thing im stuck on now is what time we actually have to be at the port the day we 'set sail' i just dont see it on the papers i received..unless im jusgt blind and i keep looking to fast..ill just call them up one day and ask..
    thanx everyone for all your help and advice!!!!
    *bRiTTaNy*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: