Quantcast "Some Like it Hot" Question

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default "Some Like it Hot" Question

After reading "Some Like it Hot" listed in several posts in the Best Movie thread, I have to ask about it.

I literally just watched this movie for the first time last night. I've heard about it for years, and wanted to see it.

I realize that it was made in a different time (late 50s), and that it was an unusual subject for those days. However, I could only describe the majority of the movie as mildly amusing. The best part of the whole thing was the final scene, with Joe E. Brown and Jack Lemon (Daphne) in the boat together. I had already seen that part on some greatest movie countdown show. Overall, I was disappointed.

I'm not challenging anyone's love for this movie. I'm just curious what makes it special to you. I know most critics love it as well.

Just looking for knowledge. Thanks!
    Tammy

8/78, 5/88, 3/90, 3/94 - WDW - Off-Site
    5/86, 7/91, 3/99 - DL - Off-Site
    10/97, 7/98 - WDW - Poly
    7/01 - WDW - Poly - cancer recovery #1
    2/02 - WDW - WL
    7/03 - WDW - Poly - surprise b-day trip
    12/04 - WDW - Poly - cancer recovery #2
    1/06 - WDW - Poly - surprise 6th b-day for DD

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I know it is always listed as the #1 comedy of all time, but sadly, I have never watched it and I am a BIG old movie nut. I will someday I guess.
    Disney Institute December 1999
    Ft. Wilderness June 1993, 1997, 2002, 2006-December 2007
    Caribbean Beach January 2008
    Port Orleans Riverside - January 2009
    Pop Century January 2007, December 2009, November 2010
    Pop CenturyOctober 2011

Post Thanks / Like

As with most things that are "unanimously" agreed to be "No 1 best ever" one can't help being a bit underwhelmed when you get round to seeing it, though it is still IMO a good movie.

It's a very simply constructed farce executed well. However farce is very much a European (UK/French) tradition, and this was probably the first successful true farce in the US which is likely why it is considered so highly. The fact that it features an iconic female lead and two male leads who are looked upon very fondly naturally helped it at the time, and continues to help its reputation.

Personally Jack Lemmon's performance makes the film undoubtedly good, he is excellent. The Monroe/Curtis scenes are generally where people either find them irritating and unfunny (as I, and apparently you, do) or sweet and amusing (which many apparently do) - for me Curtis is comfortable enough playing straght man to Lemmon, but hopeless as a comic partner to Monroe (who doesn't help matters).

For a great Jack Lemmon performance look here, or virtually any film he made during this period. For a good afternoon casual movie look here. For a great farce watch "Noises Off".
    I've got a dirty thumb.

The People of Anandapur and the Royal Anandapur Wildlife and Forestry Authority trust you will enjoy your walk and ask that you respect and honor these lovely creatures with behavior appropriate for peaceful co-existence.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought it was an okay film, maybe overly silly. It was probably the build-up you experienced prior to seeing it. For some reason, "It's a Wonderful Life" was like that for me. When I finally saw it, I was disappointed. I thought Jimmy Stewart's character was obnoxious - both as the giddy romantic and the destitute bridge-jumper.

Post Thanks / Like

Its been 20 years or more since I saw it, I just remember laughing a lot watching it....maybe if I watched it today it wouldn't seem as funny, I dunno

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: