Quantcast Should they update Norway's ride - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

View Poll Results: Should the ride at Norway be redone?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes...make it a new experience

15 14.71%
  • No...leave it

37 36.27%
  • Maybe...it could use a freshening but don't change it too much

50 49.02%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Maelstrom is what it is and its okay...would much prefer a new ride in Epcot as opposed to a major rehab on one of the few rides there that has a little excitement already.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it could use a little primping and maybe an update to the movie, but on the whole, it's a good ride. I like the gift shop too.
    We have 999 Happy Haunts here...but there's always room for a thousand.

Harrisonburg, VA--too far from the magic!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer1981 View Post
    I am just glad I found someone who agrees with me on El Rio...they destroyed it
    I totally agree! It and the Norway ride used to be my favorites at Epcot but now I don't like it at all. I would hate for something similar to happen to Norway!
    șoș Tiffany șoș

Many trips offsite growing up
    2/08 CBR
    10/09 Pop/POFQ
    12/09-1/10 POR/CR
    10/10 POLY
    12/11 POFQ

Next Up:
    POFQ 10/14 - 11/14

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer1981 View Post
    I think move the film somewhere else, make it a stand alone attraction at Norway and make Maelstrom longer and more exciting
    I don't think the film would attract enough visitors by itself. It seems that most people bypass the film now, so I seriously doubt that most people would make the effort to see it.

I prefer that the film be removed completely. Norway would still have a decent ride, which is more than most of the countries at World Showcase can claim.

I agree with your statement about the ride itself.
    I'm a dad! My daughter, Eisley, was born on December 17, 2010.

Regular WDW visitor since 1981

Post Thanks / Like

Clean up the poor polar bear ..he's moth eaten
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Offsite 1996 to 2005
    Dec 2006 2007 2008 CBR
    Dec 2009 2010 2011 2013 2014 2017 BLT
    Dec 2012 2015 2016 2018 OKW
    Dec 2017 2018 S/S
    June 2010 BCV
    June 2012 OKW

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

And now, a little report from Norway

We rode this ride when we were in Epcot in January 2005. I should probably say that we are a bilingual/bicultural family, Norwegian and American, and when we are in the States the kids want to be and act very American. But they practically dragged us on this ride because they were so curious. We all thought the ride itself was good, though rather short; a little new fur on the polar bear, a bit of tweaking here and there, and this ride will I think be as good as new.

But OH! That film!

Now, if you don't watch ski jumping you wouldn't notice this detail - but if you do, it's a glaring example of just how outdated the movie is, before you even have a chance to notice the hair and the clothes... The ski jumper has his ski tips together!! This "plow style" was last seen in any sort of competition around 1993 or so. Since then, ALL skiers have used the "V-style", with the tips spread apart - it wasn't considered as "elegant", but as it gradually became clear how much further you can glide with your skis in the V, one jumper after another decided that elegance could go fly a kite and went for the distance points. And thus did the V style take over the world - 15 years ago.

So we sat down to watch the film with our two sons, who were 4 and 10 at the time. And as soon as our 10-year-old saw the ski jumper, jumping in a way he had never seen in his lifetime - he said a very naughty word, and he said it very loudly Fortunately, he said it in Norwegian - the only word he said in Norwegian during the whole trip! - and the only one who understood him was the CM standing by the doors, who covered her mouth and laughed at him!

So my vote - UPDATE THE MOVIE! But leave the ride mostly as it is.

Oh, and bring back the Ringnes beer!
    first trip - January '05, All-Star Movies
    heading for Pop Century in Sept/Oct '09!

Post Thanks / Like

I voted maybe. I love this ride and would hate to see anything major changed on it! But, it could use a little TLC and freshening up. I totally agree with everyone else who said the movie needs to be updated, and those who want a separate exit from the ride. There's been many times when I've gotten off the boat just to see the doors to the movie closing, and knew we'd be stuck there for a while. It was pretty annoying! I think they should at least have 2 exits - one for people who want to go watch the movie, and another for people who just want to exit.
    Laura
    "Any wish is possible. All it takes is a little courage to set it free!" Jiminy Cricket
    25+ trips to WDW and counting! Stayed at: Poly, WL, Kidani, SSR, BLT, BCV, CSR, VB, POR, Jambo, OKW, CR, VGF & BW!
    Next Up: Nov 2017 - SSR!
    DVC Member & AP holder since 2008!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OleDoleDoffin View Post
    And now, a little report from Norway

We rode this ride when we were in Epcot in January 2005. I should probably say that we are a bilingual/bicultural family, Norwegian and American, and when we are in the States the kids want to be and act very American. But they practically dragged us on this ride because they were so curious. We all thought the ride itself was good, though rather short; a little new fur on the polar bear, a bit of tweaking here and there, and this ride will I think be as good as new.

But OH! That film!

Now, if you don't watch ski jumping you wouldn't notice this detail - but if you do, it's a glaring example of just how outdated the movie is, before you even have a chance to notice the hair and the clothes... The ski jumper has his ski tips together!! This "plow style" was last seen in any sort of competition around 1993 or so. Since then, ALL skiers have used the "V-style", with the tips spread apart - it wasn't considered as "elegant", but as it gradually became clear how much further you can glide with your skis in the V, one jumper after another decided that elegance could go fly a kite and went for the distance points. And thus did the V style take over the world - 15 years ago.

So we sat down to watch the film with our two sons, who were 4 and 10 at the time. And as soon as our 10-year-old saw the ski jumper, jumping in a way he had never seen in his lifetime - he said a very naughty word, and he said it very loudly Fortunately, he said it in Norwegian - the only word he said in Norwegian during the whole trip! - and the only one who understood him was the CM standing by the doors, who covered her mouth and laughed at him!

So my vote - UPDATE THE MOVIE! But leave the ride mostly as it is.

Oh, and bring back the Ringnes beer!
    Very cool to get a true Norwegian's opinion!!!
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

i enjoy this ride a lot
    Rob
    2/90 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
    2/92, 94, 98 - Beach Club
    2/96 - Dixie Landings
    2/99, 00 - All Star Sports
    5/05 - Pop Century
    5/07 - Coronado Springs
    8/08 - Beach Club Villas
    4/10 - Wilderness Lodge Villas
    8/12 - Disneyland (offsite)
    11/13 - Beach Club Villas

DVC Member

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I am in the minority here. We always do Maelstrom every year, but I really only do it for the kids. I don't get its appeal. I think the kids only want to ride it as there are not that many rides in World Showcase. I think it needs a major overhaul, not least of which, is a way to bypass the long wait at the end if the film has already started.
    Before Kids:
    Off-Site - September/91 & September/92

With Kids:
    Off-site - November/03 & September/05
    FREE DINING:
    POP Century - Aug/Sept/06 (w/ my parents)
    POP Century - Aug/Sept/07
    POP Century - Aug/Sept/08 (w/Bro's family)
    POP Century - Sept/09 (NO KIDS!!!!!)

Post Thanks / Like

Leave it!!! It's one of the only few remaining classic rides left. Everytime Epcot updates or changes something classic, majority of the time it's for the worse.
    Pimpin aint dead.... its just renamed.... Frozen.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree about the movie. We scamper right through the theater each and every time to avoid the outdated travelogue. But that is the easy part.

The one thing I would TRY to change is that queue! It is the worst! It is so dark and claustrophobic. Because it's so closed in, it's so humid from the water, and you can only look at that mural and maps for so long.

I will not go on unless I get a FP or the standby is less than 5 minutes. If I see people from the door, I know it's TOO long!

Does anyone else feel claustrophobic in there? No other queues bother me like this one, including and of the Mountains or Soarin'.
    Check out my pics, maps and brochures from 1975 on my home page!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I really enjoy this attraction, I would like to see WDW update the animatronics for the polar bears, and synchronize the scene were the man is blowing the horn! It never matches up!
    As far as the film goes, twice we tried to view it and waited 15-20 minutes and left due to the fact that the movie wasn't close to starting.
    Eric
    Resorts:
    POLYNESIAN (Favorite), Grand Floridian, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs. Beach Club, Saratoga Springs, AoA, All Star Sports and POP Century

Post Thanks / Like

I think the Maelstrom could use some "refreshing". I like it as is, but it could be improved!
    Jul80 DLR, Dec75 FW, Sept91 offsite, Sept95 ASSp, June00 offsite, June01 ASMo, July02 WL, June03 ASMo, Oct03 POR, Poly, Aug04 Pop,ASMu, Oct04 ASSp, Sept05 CSR,Pop,CBR, Dec06 WL,Pop, Sept07 POP,POR, Dec07 POP,May08 POP, Sept08 CR,Sept09 POP,Aug10 CBR, Feb11 POP, July11 AKL, Nov12 POP, March13 offsite

Post Thanks / Like

the movie needs it
    not sure how much of the ride could be...I wouldnt mind it longer
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with those who said don't do it like Rio del Tiempo. Don't add silly characters. I like it that it is a ride that my young children enjoy and find a little thrilling. I love Disney because it has rides that are "in between" the thrill level of the teacups and Tower of Terror.
    2017 WDW All Star Music/Universal RP
    2016 :(
    2015 Universal-Royal Pacific
    2014 :(
    2013 Fall: Wilderness Lodge
    2011-12 :(
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

Leave it alone!
    șoș David, Lisa, Aaron and Allison
    98-PO
    00-CB & ASMo
    01-Swan
    02-CS
    03-POR
    04-POP
    05-PO / CR
    07-PO / CR
    08-ASMu
    09-AKL
    10-CR, CS & PP DL
    11-NB DLP & SSR
    12-BLT & BLT
    13-GC DL & BLT
    15-Aulani & BLT
    16-ASMu & GC DL
    17-BWI, THV, CSR, BLT
    18-BLT, OKW, OKW, CBR, GF & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

I remember the first time we went on it, upon recommendation of a friend of ours, he made it sound like a crazy thrill ride! After I experienced it I wanted to kill him! It's an okay ride, but I just wasn't in the mood that day and I also expected a thrilling ride. Then to top it off, after you got off the ride you were literally trapped inside listening to a speech about Norway!
    I've gotten over that day and we have been on the ride since. It would be great with some updating, any ride like that with a film needs to be updated every ten years at least. They also need to have direct and immediate access outside when you get off the ride.
    1 visit to Magic Kindom '78
    17 visits to WDW since '98
    2 visit to Disneyland

Old Key West (multiple)
    Saratoga Springs (multiple)
    Animal Kingdom Lodge
    Port Orleans
    Beach Club Villas

Post Thanks / Like

Leave it alone!! With the track record on "changes" over the last few yrs I'm afraid to think how they would screw this one up.

Every attraction doesn't have to be a thrill ride.
    35+ trips to WDW since 1985...and it never gets old.

Post Thanks / Like

I voted for maybe.

I like the ride but I really don't like the ending we've never stayed for the movie and I haven't seen anybody else do it either. In fact the last time I was there in May they just had the doors open and had everybody passing by you didn't even get a chance to see it if you wanted.

I think it would be nice to give an option to just exit. This is especially true when you get stuck for 5 minutes waiting for the doors to open. Although then probably nobody would see the movie. So they could probably just remove it lol
    Chris

Recent Trips

January 09
    May 08
    Oct-Nov 07

May 07

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: