Quantcast 5 in a room one is a 3 YEAR OLD - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonahbear2006 View Post
    It can't be a firecode issue because if you told disney she were 2, she could stay in a crib, so it is all just a rule, I think, that makes them more money by the people that don't want to break rules.
    A child 2 or under is most likely going to be carried, thereby not taking up "space" in a corridor or stairwell. I'm only repeating what has been posted numerous times by people who do deal directly with fire code issues.
    Tammi, Team INTERCOT Moderator
    Disney Cruise Line & Accomodations

Please visit our Sponsors

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by megustamex View Post
    I'm confused - don't the moderates have connecting rooms where you can just leave the doors open? I thought they had this at the values and I know they had them at the deluxe resorts. If so, wouldn't this open a family of 5 plus to more options than just POR at the moderate level?
    All resorts have a certain number of rooms that are connecting. The problem is, they do not guarantee them, so parents could end up having to sleep in separate rooms.

I'm one of 6 children and our only option staying at Disney was camping in Fort Wilderness. So, I've been directly affected by being part of a large family. As a kid and even a teen, I can tell you that those were some of the best vacations of my life. I certainly didn't feel any less Disney because we weren't staying at a resort. In fact, for a lot of reasons, it was so much better than being in a little resort room. There are options, they may not be everyones first choice, but it is what it is.

Post Thanks / Like

Obviously there are plenty of 5+ families who want to stay as frugally as possible on Disney property and book up the POR for that reason. Also apparently Disney added the family suites at the All-Stars because there was a demand by larger families, but this isn't a cheap option.

I wonder how many large families (I use the term "large" lightly -- when I was a kid if you called a family of 5 large you would have been looked at strangely) stay off-site because they can't afford to pay for two rooms or exorbitant deluxe or villa room rates (which still only sleep five in a 1-bedroom).

I think if Disney built a new resort or renovated an existing resort that catered to 5+ families at the moderate level they would be booked solid.

Post Thanks / Like

Default camping and hotels

I agree. I would like to see Disney add on family resorts. maybe even family suites, as an addition to their villas, only the family suites would only be able to be booked if they are all YOUR children and they are under 18, and a price that is affordable, not $600 a night. I will never stay OFF property. If I have to stay off property then ,dude, I don't want to go. I like to take the grandparents though, and it sounds like with three small children that it can also work as an asset. Besides, then you have a sitter in the evening.
    To the camping comments, my parents never could afford to stay in hotels, nor did my dad want to, he is what my mom calls a mountain goat. We always got one night in a hotel, motel really, and a week or two in a tent. My sister and I LOVED vacation and we didn't get electricity like you do at Disney. Our vacations costed us about $300 for a week. The campground really IS a fantastic way to do it. There are ways to provide comfort and truly enjoy this experience, it just takes a little research. I have done both hotels and tents with babies and children and I guarantee you tents are easier. The kids are more relaxed, are forced to sleep because it is dark, and they play contently while you get ready for the day. One other bonus is that your car is right there, so you can use it for the day or get things you forgot. NO hiking to the parking lot.
    But to the carrying a child as a fire code comment, that isn't necessarily the case. I have a 6 yr old daughter that wears size 2 shorts and 4 jeans. She is itty bitty and could pass for much younger, whereas my friend has a son who is going to be a year in Dec. and he looks like he is 2 1/2 and like the michelin man. I could carry my 6 yr old in one arm and my 4 yr old in the other, but this guy will not likely be able to carry his kid at 2-3, not if he keeps this up. Everyone is different and I highly doubt Disney sat down and decided on fire codes based on capability of being carried or size affecting their fire drills.
    A man should never neglect his family for business.-Walt Disney
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD
    Feb12-Off
    Sep12-BCV/Pop
    Jan13-FW/AOA
    Feb13-CBR
    Sept13-Dland
    Dec13-FW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonahbear2006 View Post
    Everyone is different and I highly doubt Disney sat down and decided on fire codes based on capability of being carried or size affecting their fire drills.
    Okay, we're talking about averages here and no, Disney did not sit down and decide fire codes, that's done by the Fire Department and is in alignment with the building codes. This is managed by the state of Florida and I don't believe Disney is exempt from state codes. Again, this is repeated from statements made by those in the fire fighting business.

Editing my post to add the following, which I believe covers what I was referring to about corridors, etc. Link to everything you wanted to know and more, about means of egress in the state of Florida.
    Last edited by TammiMcMan; 07-16-2008 at 02:23 AM. Reason: Edited to add information

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TammiMcMan View Post
    Editing my post to add the following, which I believe covers what I was referring to about corridors, etc. Link to everything you wanted to know and more, about means of egress in the state of Florida.
    Thank you, Tammi.

Post Thanks / Like

the poly sleeps 5 and i think the CR sleeps 5 - you would be even closer to the MK - hope it all works out for you
    playdead88

boardwalk villas may 2005
    boardwalk villas may 2006
    beach club villas april 2007

wilderness lodge april 2008
    DVC member april 08
    animal kingdom villas may 09

Post Thanks / Like

also have you looked into joining the DVC? then you would always have room for 5!
    playdead88

boardwalk villas may 2005
    boardwalk villas may 2006
    beach club villas april 2007

wilderness lodge april 2008
    DVC member april 08
    animal kingdom villas may 09

Post Thanks / Like

You are smart to be working with Magical Journey's, they will find you the best option!

We are a family of six so I understand your frustration of limited choices. We always have to go with two rooms, and we love the Beach Club so you can imagine the cost.

My pet peeve about Disney is paying more for an extra adult in the room. This fall I am going with my sister and another friend. We pick up after ourselves. We would not pay extra for two adults and three kids, but for three adults we are paying an extra $25 per night....just never made sense to me. I'm sure there is some reason, but I haven't figure it out yet!

Good luck making your decisions, I hope you and your little girls have a wonderful time!
    Jeri Lynn

Fantasy 9/18 Dream 5/16 Fantasy 9/15 Wonder 10/14 Dream BCV ~ 12/09, BC ~9/18, 12/17 10/15 10/12 11/11 10/10 10/08, 11/07, 9/07, 11/06, 9/06, 12/05, 12/04, 9/04, 9/03, 9/02, 9/01, 12/2000, 9/99
    YC 9/16
    AKL 12/05, 9/05, 11/13
    DXL 9/98
    CBR 9/96
    DXL 5/93
    Off-site 1984, 1908

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, you all seem to understand the problem of the OP. The larger families that I know do indeed stay off sight and I agree no. It was implied earlier to not let the bad opinions of one person turn you off from POR. I assume that is me and I would like to say a few things about this. I played by the rules. My just 3 year old was with us and we stayed at the POR and did not lie or break and rules. This did not end well. The buses at night were a real issue for only this resort. The fact that the POR is huge and shares buses with POFQ causes this situation. Also many small children. I am not the first to every post this. We still payed $$$$ for our 7 day vacation. Of course we wanted to enjoy it and we did, not the resort. The night that I was carrying my child all the way from DTD dock to the back of resort and this maintenance small truck almost hit me on the sidewalk was it for me. It stopped screeching tires with headlights in my face. My daughter would have been killed. A sorry and getting off his duff may have been nice. People that have stayed there will tell you those winding paths with the scrubs you can not see around. Don't want to sway anyone just sharing our experience from sept 07 during free dining. We do need more options. I love camping but it is so much work and hot. For the record next time we will split stay POLY/with 2 rooms maybe CSR, value, or off sight. So I guess Disney won. Now that the children are better in the car we will drive and splitting is easier. DH is the one that is not ready to go back not me. That is why I am here.

Post Thanks / Like

I am the second-oldest of 8 kids. Growing up, we always stayed at Port Orleans (both Riverside and French Quarter). We loved it there. I would definitely stay there again in a heartbeat.
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

1326 miles from the most magical place on earth
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by megustamex View Post
    I'm confused - don't the moderates have connecting rooms where you can just leave the doors open? I thought they had this at the values and I know they had them at the deluxe resorts. If so, wouldn't this open a family of 5 plus to more options than just POR at the moderate level?
    There are 6 people in my family and we loved the Corondao Springs so I called Disney for my upcoming trip in 9 days!!!! to book 2 adjoining rooms at the Coronado. Unfortunatly Disney cannot guarentee 2 adjoining rooms or even 2 rooms close together "they will do their best to accomodate". Well, that didn't work for us. I would hate to be on a vacation with my family and me be in one room with the kids and my husband be in another room.

We have decided to stay off property . We rented a 4 bedroom vacation villa about 4 miles from Disney (we've stayed here before) and it's amazing. Our own pool, the kids have their own space. We love it! The down side is...we are not immersed in the Disney magic...the upside is...your'e not immersed in the Disney magic.
    July'05 - Offsite
    July '06 - AKl
    April '07 - offsite
    July 08 ~ AKV!
    April 09 - SSR 1st time as DVC Member!
    July 09 - AKL-Kadani Village/SSR...
    Dec.'09- AKV
    May '10- Beach Club
    June '11- AKL
    July '13- AKL
    Feb 14 - Wilderness Lodge/Bay Lake Towers
    October 15-AKL

Post Thanks / Like

Fire codes are fire codes nothing much Disney can do about it. And since there's only 3 in total (including myself) it's not a problem for me...BUT...I know of a lot of my friends who have more and I'm very "sensitive" to their prediciment. And personally I have stuffed and extraordinary number of people in one room (not at Disney) but at the coast. We were crowded but we survived.

I can see Disney themselves wanting to stick with certian limits because you don't want a large noisy number of people in one room disturbing the others. AND you get a bit of extra income...BUT...

Corridors. Families with the one extra could stay on the bottom floors. Less constraints going down the stairs.

5 people need two rooms even if the 5th is a toddler or young child??? Each parent carries one child etc. UHHHH...there's still only TWO parents right? Wouldn't it be safer if they were all in ONE room? What if it's a single mother with 4 kids? Is it supposed to be safer for her to dash over to another room and collect the rest?

In some cases every dollar counts and I can understand those people that are trying to budget. (I don't do a WEEK of camping especially in the summer...I'll MELT).

I guess in Disney's defense they say 4 and just one more is 5 just one more is 6 just one more is 7 etc.

I guess if "I" were "ruler of the world" I'd allow up to 6 in a room provided it was children under 17 with at least ONE parent with the restriction that they had to keep the noise down or we'd seperate them and charge them.
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

Post Thanks / Like

I also have 3 small children. I sympathize with the OP, as it may seem as though your WDW options are limited. But, aren't all of our options limited as we expand our family? I mean, there is no way I could get my family and the car seats into a little gas friendly, eco aware sedan. Unfortunately, I have to buy the bigger van/SUV. I wish that a car company could give me the "best of both worlds", but that hasn't happened yet.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that there are certainly many options at WDW for families our size. We manage to go every year! If the options available to you aren't the most desirable, you compromise, or you wait until the option available is doable. That's I'm sure what you will do.
    Jen :)

CR-1981
    offsite-1985
    Marriott Grande Vista 2002
    WL 2004
    Poly 2005
    CR Atrium Club 2006
    Poly 2007
    Beach Club CL, Grand Floridian 2008
    Beach Club CL 2009
    GF Royal Palm Club CL 2010
    WL CL 2011
    CR Presidential Suite 2012
    BC Club Level 2012
    Poly CL 2015

Post Thanks / Like

well thanks to all who have responding understanding my issue! I love the one who said "family of 5 being "larger" would have been laughed at 2 decades ago!"
    Magical Journeys (Wendy) may have sold me on Port Orleans Riverside or we may split up since we have various family/grandparents and send a kid for a special sleepover (or parent!).
    But my girls may have sealed the deal with POR since they just saw the dragon slide pool. This is the same place right?

Post Thanks / Like

Red face 5 in a room

I agree 2 connecting rooms with a door open would be good. One parent can sleep in each room plus you have 2 bathrooms. 5 people plus luggage in any room will be crowded unless you have a large suite or rent a house.
    Kids don't care that much where they stay after all it's Disney World. There are allot of great suggestions posted I hope one works for you. Don't worry about things you can't control relax. Getting all upset isn't going to make Disney change their rules.
    Have a fun trip

Post Thanks / Like

No the dragon slide is POFQ only allow 4 per room. The POR pool is the one with the wooden spills and large twater tower. The pictures do not due the POR pool justice. It is rustic but kids will love it, it does have a slide. The POFQ pool will be too far of a walk from alligator sleeps 5 section. You could take the bus or a carriage ride and you are permitted to use both pools. While it looked cool the kids were happy with POR pool and that walk was far enough. The life guards are very good. When a ran shower popped up they played games and made jewlery to entertain the kids. They also do $1 bingo and the prices were nice photo albums, pillows. There is a bar by the pool too and playground.

Post Thanks / Like

I know that this is going to make me sound , but here it goes.

Way back when, before there was EPCOT, your only choices were the CR, the Poly and FW (possibly without the cabins). There was the Golf resort too and in no man's land (at the time) was the Disney Village. That was it. It was that way until the late 80's when the Carribean Beach Resort and the Grand Floridian came along. The Mods are no more than 20 years old and the Values no more than 15 years old. So anyone who wanted to stay close to the MK and had a very large family or couldn't afford the Poly or CR (or didn't golf) camped at FW. Also, during our 1976 trip (per my Mom), due to demand, you could only reserve a room for more than three nights.

I always wanted to camp as a kid, but, due to a miserable camping trip in my Mother's childhood, my Mom was having none of it. So I would have loved to stay at FW.

So maybe you could camp a few days to save some $ and then stay at one of the monorail resorts for the rest of your trip. It may be a little extra work, but your girls may love it.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

We are also a family of 6. There is DH, Myself, DD 11, DD 7, & Twin DSs 5. We joined DVC precisely for this reason. While I would like to be close to the MK it is more important to me that I have everyone together While I know DVC is pricey if WDW is somewhere that you go every year it is worth it. Plus we always have the 2 bdrm villa where we can all be together
    Amanda, Mom of 4

ASMo Mar 2005
    Pop Sep 2006, Jan 2014, Jan 2016
    SSR Dec 2006
    Disney Magic Jan 2008, Mar 2009, Apr 2011
    OKW Jan 2009, June 2012, December 2017
    POFQ Jan 2012
    VWL Oct 2012
    AKV Jan 2013, June 2013, Aug 2015
    AOA July 2014
    All Star Sports Jan 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by diz_girl View Post
    I know that this is going to make me sound , but here it goes.

Way back when, before there was EPCOT, your only choices were the CR, the Poly and FW (possibly without the cabins). There was the Golf resort too and in no man's land (at the time) was the Disney Village. That was it. It was that way until the late 80's when the Carribean Beach Resort and the Grand Floridian came along. The Mods are no more than 20 years old and the Values no more than 15 years old.
    The "golf resort" you are thinking of was the Disney Inn. It is now called Shades of Green and is owned by the DOD, not Disney. the Disney Village is the shopping place we now know as Downtown Disney. The Grand Floridan just celebrated it's 20th birthday on July 1.

I have stayed in the Poly and the Contemporary, and as previously stated, they sleep 5. When i stayed in the Contemporary in 1994, it was with 3 other adults and 1 child. I got the day bed and it was fine (I'm 5'8").

I have never stayed inthe cabins, but they are being renovated. My uncle took his family there in the late 1990s and my aunt didn't want to stay in a "trailer" but she LOVED it. They have 4 kids.

I have stayed at both PO resorts and they are terrific. Whatever you decide, have a magical time!
    1974-1983 WDW day trips*92 WDW *94 Contemporary*97 WDW*97 Poly*98 DL PAC*99 DL DLH*2000 POFQ & CR*01 WDW*02 DLR DLH*02 WDW*03 POR*03 WDW 06 DVC Member*06 DLR*07 VBR*07 OKW*07 VWL*08 GCH*09 BLT*09 AKV*10 OKW*10 DLP-DH*11 BLT*11 AKL*12 BWV*14 Aulani*15 VGC*17 VGC*SDL TSH*17 TDR DAH*18 BC

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: