Quantcast Got a return call from WDW re: Osborne Lights

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Got a return call from WDW re: Osborne Lights

I emailed WDW a few weeks ago to vent how unhappy I was that the Osborne Lights viewing dates (starting on the 28th) were pushed back until after Thanksgiving. We had planned our upcoming mid Nov trip back in Feb just so we could go see the Osborne Lights. It was also going to be our last trip to WDW for a few years as it is getting harder for us to afford it.

Received a voicemail from WDW while I was out this afternoon. They stated that WDW has no plans on changing the Osborne start date but that they are very sorry for any inconvenience this may cause us for our trip in Nov. My email was going to be forwarded to another department so that they may use it to make future improvements. They did mention that they knew that in the past the start date was in early Nov but had no reason why they decided to move it back. She did leave a number in case I wanted to call back but for what reason would I have to do so now. Our trip is already paid for & I cannot change our travel dates. Needless to day my family is bummed about not seeing the Osborne Lights & as mentioned this was the main reason for taking this trip in the 1st place.
    DVC Member as of 11/09 BLT!!
    1992 Dolphin Resort
    1995 stayed off-site
    2002 All-Star Movies Resort
    2007 (Oct) Port Orleans French Quarter
    2008 (Nov )1 night at POP
    2008 (Nov) Old Key West Resort
    2011 (Jan) BLT 2 room suite!!!
    2011 (Oct/Nov) BLT 1 bedroom suite
    2012 (Oct) BLT 2 room suite :-)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry you won't get to see Osborn Lights this year. I am glad to know that someone responded to your email. I wish something could be done to change the start date. Maybe if more people sent emails regarding their disappointment with this, they might move it.
    I hope you still have a great trip.
    LIZ
    Disneyland-Too many times to count
    WDW
    APRIL 2005 - Offsite
    DECEMBER 2006 - Fort Wilderness
    OCTOBER 2007-Saratoga Springs Resort
    SEPTEMBER 2009-OKW

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I am not sure when you are going...... I see mid Nov.
    I have gone the week before Thanksgiving for the last 10 years..... They have always had the lights lit before the date listed...... Believe me they will have a pass holder preview before they light them up.....

Even know they say it I don't believe that they will not have soft openings before the listed date.... as a soft opening they will light the lights.........

BRET/TTFN
    DVC Member 7/04 Wilderness Lodge Villas 6-08 Saratoga Springs
    Next Trip 6-16
    Disney Cruise 6-16
    Disney World tons of times

Post Thanks / Like

I can understand your disappointment. However, it is not Disney's fault you planned your trip before the dates were announced. There have been many times the Christmas festivities have not started until after Thanksgiving.

The year I went to Disney at Christmastime, was the year the didn't offer the lights at all. (They were under construction moving the location.)

Of course I was disappointed - but didn't blame Disney because I booked my trip before knowing the Lights were being discontinued that year.

We still had fun. I'm sure you will too.
    Last edited by Carol; 06-28-2008 at 07:22 AM. Reason: spelling
    ¨¨*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

Post Thanks / Like

you may be right that it is not disney's fault that they scheduled it befor egetting the dates ofr the lights. But what about us that WAITED to schedule our trip until the 180 day mark and had no choice but to get reservations without knowing because disney did not release the schedule until June. I am not one to gripe and would never send an email to them but I can say that I think they really let some people down with this. We would have scheduled our trip for after thanksgiving had we known.
    2003- Oct.-Carribean Beach Resort
    2006- Oct/Nov.-Carribean Beach Resort
    2007-Nov.- POFQ
    2008-Nov.- POFQ
    2009- Nov.- POFQ
    2010- Nov.- PO Riverside
    2011- May- PO Riverside
    2012-May- Coronado
    2013-May- PO Riverside
    2014-May- PO Riverside
    [B]2015-April- Coronado[B/]

Post Thanks / Like

OH NO...where is the schedule...did I miss it...I too planned our trip for the week before Thanksgiving...
    Pirate Granny

October 2020 — 3 nights OKW, 3 nights Poly Lakeview and 1 night BWV studios
    November 2020 — BRV studio 9 nights
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW
    December 2020 January 2021 BCV studio

OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry you won't get to experience the lights; however, I do think the lights are a 'Christmas experience,' and shouldn't be out before Thanksgiving.

On the same topic as 'Christmas experiences,' I'm upset that the Christmas parade at Magic Kingdom doesn't start until a day or two before Christmas... What's up with that? LOL
    Disney is life......the rest is just details!

Post Thanks / Like

Just throwing a possible reason out there...perhaps this is an energy savings effort? All those lights take a lot of electricity to run and everybody is starting to reign in the purse strings and make cuts and savings where they can in the current economy. Disney may have decided to wait for that particular light-show/event to begin until the more official kick off to the holiday season, which has always traditionally been AFTER Thanksgiving. It's only recently that retail commercialization has pushed the Christmas Holiday season to begin in early November anyways. Just a guess though.

There are still lots of festive things going on at the time of your visit...I believe MVMCP is running in November. That is a great way to feel festive!

You really can't get too down about missing this one thing....I mean....your going to Disney World!!!!! That's a good thing.
    Coming Soon.....
    March 2011 - Beach Club

BMan62 is offline Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TinkRocks View Post
    I'm sorry you won't get to experience the lights; however, I do think the lights are a 'Christmas experience,' and shouldn't be out before Thanksgiving.

On the same topic as 'Christmas experiences,' I'm upset that the Christmas parade at Magic Kingdom doesn't start until a day or two before Christmas... What's up with that? LOL
    I believe the reasoning with the Christmas parade has to do with the MVMCP -- the Christmas parade is, I believe, the same parade as is used on the MVMCP dates.

Post Thanks / Like

It does seem strange to me that they would push the lights back. I could see if the attendance at this event was poor until after Thanksgiving, but we were there last year for Thanksgiving and saw the lights the Monday before Thanksgiving and when I say the whole area was packed that is an understatement. We had a guy next to us say "This is more packed than New York City on New Year's Eve", and he was from New York.

I am sorry that you are going to miss the lights, but like other's have stated these dates are always subject to change. We'll be visiting next year for Thanksgiving and we'll have to decide if we want to miss the Osborne lights or the Epcot christmas events since both start the day after T-day and we'll be leaving the day after that.

As for the Christmas parade, it was always my understanding that the Christmas parade doesn't start up in the park during regular park hours because it is one of the MVMCP events and only guests attending the party get to experience it. Once the parties are over it becomes the day time parade for the remainder of the holiday season.

I hope everyone can still manage to have wonderful trips dispite the disappointment.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

Gosh PolyGirl40, lets tone it down just a little. A bit harsh for someone who is already bummed about their plans.

Also, not that these things can't change, the Christmas parade is usually offered as the 3:00 PM parade on Saturdays in Dec. The first Sat is usually the taping for Christmas Day. We have been during Dec twice and the Saturdays we have been there have had the Christmas parade. It is not publicized beforehand but will be on the day's schedule. Again, that was the past two years and it could change.

And one last thought, why not do as Ebenezer learned and keep Christmas all year long. There is nothing wrong with enjoying the beautiful lights and sounds of Christmas in Nov. I actually cave by mid September and start listening to my CDs. I love Christmas!! As long as I celebrate the birth of Christ with a joyful, loving spirit, why should I only do that for one month?? The world would be a much better place if we all celebrated peace on earth and goodwill toward men more than the month of Dec.
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sending some for those of you traveling in mid-Nov before the Osborn lights are to be lit. I hope Bret is right and you still get to see the lights. Check daily for soft openings - maybe you'll get lucky!
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey91 View Post
    Gosh PolyGirl40, lets tone it down just a little. A bit harsh for someone who is already bummed about their plans.
    Excuse me?? There is nothing wrong with my tone! I said I understand the disappointment. It has happened to me - not to mention ride closures ...etc......

However, it is not Disney's fault when we plan things before schedules. It's a chance we all take.

Back on topic please ....
    ¨¨*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

Post Thanks / Like

1) One should never plan a whole vacation on one event.
    2) Vacations are seldom made up of one single event/ride.
    3) Especially at WDW with so many activities all around.
    4) If the event/ride can be
    . . . canceled
    . . . closed
    . . . moved or re-timed
    . . . under rehab
    5) If the event/ride is that important, then one should wait for the schedule.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
    1) One should never plan a whole vacation on one event.
    2) Vacations are seldom made up of one single event/ride.
    3) Especially at WDW with so many activities all around.
    4) If the event/ride can be
    . . . canceled
    . . . closed
    . . . moved or re-timed
    . . . under rehab
    5) If the event/ride is that important, then one should wait for the schedule.
    Amen!! a voice of reason. I remember two holiday seasons ago that it rained nearly every night and the Osbourne Lights were canceled consistently. Not just a misting but heavy downpours. I felt like scrooge out by the Hat telling our guests the lights were canceled. To plan a trip on one event, and one event only is a risky thing to do! All things are subject to change.

Terk24 Guest

No one needs a voice of reason. I too feel that Disney waits to long to release things. Many people don't have the luxury to wait 6 months or less to book a trip. I'm still waiting to get all details for food and wine festival. Also, how can Disney not have their rates set for '09. Many people need to start booking and planning trips now. I think Disney should be a little more proactive in setting dates early. Enough with the lecturing of how to or not to plan a trip.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry for all the disappointment. I must be in the minority when I say I don't like the lights that much.
    Anyway, I'm sure that you will all have a great time without the lights . And I hope they turn the lights on earlier so some of you are pleasantly surprised

'the only thing that counts is the love of duty; when love & duty are one, then grace is in you & you will enjoy a happiness which passes all understanding.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, you can always plan for next year. We always go the week after Thanksgiving. That time has never disappointed and that is where we feel the Christmas magic take over.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrsgaribaldi View Post
    I'm sorry for all the disappointment. I must be in the minority when I say I don't like the lights that much.
    Honestly, I don't like it nearly as much as when it used to be on the backlot among the old movie/TV sets. The new location is just too compressed; everything is jammed into a relatively-small area. We used to enjoy a leisurely walk along the streets, sipping a nice hot chocolate... it was more like walking through a neighborhood that was full of the Christmas spirit.

We still make a point of going to the Studios during the time when the lights are on, but we don't spend nearly as much time taking in the show as we used to.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

That's a bummer that they changed the days but I bet you will still have a magical trip anyways, enjoy.
    Carribean Beach '95
    Wilderness Lodge '96 '97 '98
    All Star Music '00 '01 '04
    Off-site '03
    All Star Movie '05 '06
    All Star Music 07'
    Pop Century with DBF Sep 08'
    Pop Century with family March 09'

Next trip: Disney and Universal Studios April 2015!

PINK!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: