Quantcast Rain, rain go away...

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rain, rain go away...

The weather channels have been saying that its been raining really hard over "the world" the last few days. We're heading down next week, and hoping it clears up some.

My question is, what do you do around the world when its a constant, all day rain?
    Nancyjae

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nancyjae View Post

My question is, what do you do around the world when its a constant, all day rain?
    We grab our ponchos and head to the parks.
    They are usually quieter and the rain does not make much of a difference to us.
    DVC Members @ SSR
    19 Trips since 1996:
    Caribbean Beach Resort-2x's, Dixie Landings-2x, POFQ-2x's, POR-3x's All Star Movies-4x's, Pop-1x, Saratoga Springs-2x, BWV-1x, OKW-2x

Just got back: August 17th-22nd POR

Post Thanks / Like

Definately ponchos (bring your own, don't buy them). Otherwise, go to all the inside shows.
    '96-Off site
    '97-Off site
    '98-All-Star Movies
    '99-All-Star Music
    '00-All-Star Sports
    '01-Animal Kingdom Lodge
    '02-Port Orleans-Riverside
    '03-Coronado Springs
    '04-All-Star Movies
    '05-Pop Century
    '06-Caribbean Beach
    '07-Port Orleans-French Quarter
    '08-All-Star Movies

Kungaloosh!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default rain rain go away...

I have never had to deal with much rain while on my trips in December. But I always make sure to hit the dollar tree before I go. They have a package that contains two rain ponchos for a dollar. These are great, easy to carry and when it stops raining you can just toss them.

Post Thanks / Like

Default No Ponchos

Ponchos? Yuck.

Many attractions at WDW are actually inside or under a cover. Do you really want to sit down at Philharmagic wearing a wet trash bag?

I carry an umbrella - the kind that so small I can attach it to my belt.

I walk in out of the rain, one shake and a quick fold up and I'm comfortable while the family beside me are trying to decide what to do with their portable (poncho) tents.

Out the exit, 'pop', I'm covered, on to the next thing.

Um-brel-la.

Post Thanks / Like

On my very first Disney vacation, it literally rained all day, all week, except for one day. I'm not talking about sporatic showers, I'm talking constant rain..all day.

I put a hat on, which protected my glasses from the constant rain, and let 'er rip.

Since then, I've gone to Fred's and purchased not ponchos, but plastic raincoats. The material is made of thicker stuff, so you don't feel quite so gross.
    Contemporary Resort, 06/03
    Pop Century Resort, 6/05 and 12/08
    Disneyland's Paradise Pier, 10/06
    Carribbean Beach Resort, 09/07
    Coronado Springs Resort, 01/10
    Wilderness Lodge, 6/14 - The Susie Angel Celebration
    Pop Century Resort, 02/16 - Princess Half Marathon

Post Thanks / Like

We also use umbrellas. Nothing you can do about the rain except just deal with it. We sometimes have the most fun when it is raining. I'll cross my fingers for you and hope the rain stops.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I don't know about you guys, but here in SC we are having a severe drought, so if you can find some way to channel that rain up here, then we could get some relief and you all could enjoy beautiful sunny days in the World.

Hope it clears up for you and have a safe trip!
    I would rather entertain and hope that people learned something than educate people and hope they were entertained.
    Walt Disney

June 2006-POR (Anniversary)
    Dec. 2007-Pop (My Birthday) 9 DAYS!
    September 2008-POR

December 2009 OKW for MVMCP!
    Upcoming..September 2011-BLT/AKV for MNSSHP!

Gottaluvgoof Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Riley Taylor's Mom View Post
    We grab our ponchos and head to the parks.
    They are usually quieter and the rain does not make much of a difference to us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerkell070 View Post
    I have never had to deal with much rain while on my trips in December. But I always make sure to hit the dollar tree before I go. They have a package that contains two rain ponchos for a dollar. These are great, easy to carry and when it stops raining you can just toss them.
    Hey, WELCOME TO INTERCOT !!
    REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE!!
    1998 Shades of Green
    1999, 2000,2001, Shades of Green
    2002 Contemporary - 2003 Contemporary - 2004, 2005,2006, Shades of Green
    Dec. 2007 First trip to Disneyland
    Dec. 2008 Shades of Green & JQ "meet"

Post Thanks / Like

1) I know that tourists want the rain to stop.
    2) Locals want the rain every day.
    3) Florida has a drought problem.
    4) The aquifers need to be filled.
    5) Please bear with Florida and accept the rain.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

CaptainJessicaSparrow Guest

Also, another good thing about the rain is you can see the Rainy Day Parade at MK. It's really very unique and I enjoy it when it rains! The characters come out in rain gear and are a lot more interactive than the regular 3:00 parade. Guests really love it!

Post Thanks / Like

If it's summer, I head out with a poncho or umbrella. However, after this January - if its chilly out I will find something to do inside....I ended up with a cold in Disneyworld!! But something to do inside could always just include shopping on Main Street!
    Jan. 99 AllStar Music ;Jun 01 AllStar Sports; Jul 2003 Dolphin;May. 04 -AllStar Movies, Jan 07 Wilderness Lodge; Jun 2007 Pop Century; Jan 2008 Port Orleans Riverside; Aug 08 Pop Century; Jun 09 Saratoga Springs, Aug 09 Animal Kingdom Lodge; May 10 Boardwalk; Oct 10 Saratoga Springs

Post Thanks / Like

well the storms have been preety nasty down here lately... yesterday there was quarter size hail at Disney ... and my apartment complex has been struck 3 times in 3 weeks by lightening ...

just be prepared for some nasty weather
    attention space travelers all flights have been put in a holding patern. travelers in rockets please remain seated as ur flight will continue in a moment. those travelers awaiting departure please remain where you are and a host or hostess will direct you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nancyjae View Post
    You get wet. When I was there during the summer of 2002, all it did was rain. We couldn't just do nothing, so we donned the ponchos and braved the elements. We'd have to sit our shoes on the air conditioner at night so they'd be dry by morning.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rain

I live in Scotland and it rains here way to much and its cold and miserable with it. when it rains a disney, it still seems nice and I just laugh and get on with things. I'm going to get wet anyway whether its Spash Mountain or the Kali River rapids, so what's a little rain. I'll just keep on Singing and dancing in the rain
    Lifes a witch and then you fly

Post Thanks / Like

Just got back....it did rain alot. I take that back, it stormed more than usual. At odd times too. I expect the "brief" afternoon showers, but these were soaking storms that lasted a good part of the day.
    My advice would be to eat while it is not raining if you don't have ADR. We found that everyone flocked to eateries as soon as it started raining. Also, if you are wanting to see characters during Star Wars weekend and it starts raining...the "dark side" can be found at Wickets Warehouse which is next to the back lot tour entrance. Of course it was raining when we got there. The line was about 200 people long. There were 4 character stops along the way.

Hopefully it will not rain much during your trip.
    "A dream is a wish your heart makes"

First visit to Disney World 1991
    Countless visits since
    Most recent: Oct 2006
    November 2006
    Feb 2007
    June 2007
    October 2007-2 weeks
    Feb 2008
    June 2008
    Feb 2009
    Oct 2009- HHI Disney Vacation
    Jan 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Bring extra shoes! I've worn Teva sandles and they were the best. Comfortable for walking and nice when it rains. Extra socks as well if you're going to be wears tennis shoes. If you bring two pairs that you can wear each day then one pair can dry out while you wear the others. I've done a trip where it rained the whole time and DID NOT bring extra shoes and it was awful! We had to go back in the afternoons for everyone to sit there with a hairdryer and dry their shoes out.

You can make the best of a trip even if it's raining, just so long as you're prepared!
    First Trip to Disney World; age 4 1/2; 01/89 CBR
    15+trips staying at CBR, Port Orleans, Dixie Landings, AsSp, AsMu, AsMo, POP!, GF, WL, Fort Wilderness.
    Resent Trips;
    03/04; POP!
    03/05; POP!
    06/06; POP! (Honeymoon!)
    03/07; AsMo
    09/08; AsMu

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainJessicaSparrow View Post
    Also, another good thing about the rain is you can see the Rainy Day Parade at MK. It's really very unique and I enjoy it when it rains! The characters come out in rain gear and are a lot more interactive than the regular 3:00 parade. Guests really love it!
    Great tip! For some reason I never knew they did this. You learn something new everyday.

To the OP-
    One of our best days last trip was when it rained while we were at MGM. The park was empty and we had free reign. It was great!We always bring ponchos just in case.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

We've never had an all day rain. Usually it will rain for a while then clear up. We've had mostly cloudy days, though. Rain doesn't make much of a difference for us; we still head out to the parks and do what we can. Just make sure you have your emergency rain ponchos with you.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15