Quantcast Monorail Etiquette - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden's Dad View Post
    You know it is a shame that you feel the need to post this. Everything you said you would hope would be commen sense, but obviously it is not. Thank you
    I agree, all of this SHOULD be common sense! Unfortunately, I think a lot of people leave their courtesy @ home. (I know that none of you on here are guilty of this )

I always give up my seat to any woman that is standing, it is just something I feel I need to do.
    So, YOU'RE looking for a laughin place, eh? WE'LL show YOU a LAUGHIN PLACE!

DL- '96, '98, '00,'02, '03, '05, '06, '07
    WDW- '99

Upcoming Trips for '08:
    DL- Late July, October 10-13

Disneyland Premium AP holder

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I am a female and would give up my seat for an older female, mother holding child, or pregnant woman for sure! Old school no, kind and considerate, yes.
    Tara

"It's a Small World after all..."

Post Thanks / Like

Wow never though I would get in trouble for trying to be polite. Oh Well not the first time won't be the last. Sorry but I will continue to open, or hold doors for ladies, offer my seat to them, etc... I like to think that chilvary is not dead, if I offend you for being polite then I apologize, but it won't stop me from doing so. I don't see how it is a matter of equal rights, I am not saying that you are incapable of standing because you are a woman just that if you would like to have a seat instead of standing then you are welcome to it is just being polite. I can't say I have had anyone get mad at me for doing any of those things at the time, but they may have been just quietly stewing over my male schovanistic attitude.
    Well said Hayden's Dad. I was thinking the same thing. If my grandmother had ever seen me sitting and not offer a seat to a lady she would have been appalled.

Thanks for the reminder Dreamer14. Even though a couple caused some controversy they were well meaning and appreciated.
    "Believe me, it's the most exciting and challenging assignment we have ever tackled at Walt Disney Productions."
    Walt Disney speaking on the future Disney World

Post Thanks / Like

If you're equally kind to fellow men as to women, then I think it's great, a show of manners, and very kind. My husband opens doors for men or women, just to be polite. He routinely gives up his seats on monorails or buses- for men or women who seem to need a seat. I try to follow his example.

But don't do it just because I'm a woman. I'll decline the seat in favor of offering it to someone else, too. And I won't be offended. I'll just think you're a nice person. Unless you tell me you're just giving me the seat because I'm female, and then I might be offended. I'm sure those of you who do give up seats don't do it in an offensive way. Chivalry isn't dead, but it has adapted to suit the times.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post

Also, men giving up seats to women for the mere sake of gender is no longer "gentlemanly" it is in fact rude. Now if I'm clearly more in need of a seat, that's different. But gender does not earn seat priority, for over thirty years now. Manners are updated with changes in social code, and women are no longer considered in need of deferential treatment. That's insulting. If you're giving up your seats to women, you're probably offending many of them. I do give up seats to anyone carrying small children or people clearly in need of seating.
    I agree that it is not necessary to give your seat up to a woman just because it's a woman. Elderly women, pregnant women, disabled women, women holding a children- sure, but I am a young, able bodied woman and I would not feel comfortable taking a seat from anyone. However, if a seat was offered I would not be offended. I think most women know it is only meant as a polite gesture and those of us who don't want the seat will politely decline.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer14 View Post
    Please offer seating to those needing special assistance, which means . . . and females.

. . . Gloria Steinem just went into fits
    . . . does this mean Women's Lib is dead?
    . . . can women not fend for themselves any longer?

Cars 3 and 4 are designated for guests needing special assistance

. . . does it actually say that?
    . . . I never noticed a sign designating #3 & #4 cars

Do not get sick, ever, on the monorail. If you do however get sick just notify a host or hostess and they will be happy to assist you.

. . . can you predict this that well?
    . . . or predict when a child will do the nasty?
    . . . if you notify a host, will they stop the monorail?
    . . . will they hold the bucket?

As a tip: When exiting the Magic Kingdom, if you need to go to the Transportation and Ticket Center use the Resort Monorail. It is the second stop on that line and the wait is always so much quicker than waiting in line for the express.

. . . of course, the security guard is supposed to stop this
    . . . that is why one is stationed at the resort monorail entrance
    . . . most monorail people know this
    . . . if permitted, the resort monorail could be overcrowded
    . . . and resorts guests would be upset about not getting onboard
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing here that some common sense and common courtesy won't fix.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SurferStitch View Post
    It's too bad that so many women get offended by this. Thanks women's lib!

I don't see it as rude at all. I see it as a show of respect. I don't see it as deferential treatment at all, and I'm definitely not insulted.

I'm quite able-bodied, and don't mind standing, but I do appreciate men offering their seat to me, and will very politely refuse sometimes, just because I don't mind standing. I also love when they hold the door for me (which happens very often), and I always thank them for doing so.

Call me old-fashioned, but I still like to see gentlemen being gentlemen. It's a welcome behavior.

Absolutely! And boo to whomever years ago started the whole being-polite-to-a-woman-is-really-just-being-sexist thing!
    1976- WDW Contemporary Garden Wing
    1985- Grad Night WDW Magic Kingdom
    1986-1989 WDW and DL day trips
    Nov. 2007- WDW Wilderness Lodge
    Jan. 2010 WDW Wilderness Lodge
    Jan. 2011 WDW Pop Century & Villas at Wilderness Lodge

"Slap me thrice and hand me to me momma!"---- Mr. Gibbs

Post Thanks / Like

Come October, if a man would like to offer this female woman mom a seat, I would be flattered! I expect my husband to do the same, just old-school manners to us!
    LORI
    2012 Boardwalk with DH, DBIL, DSIL, no kids!
    2010 Old Key West, same crowd :)
    2008 Poly with DH, DS, DD and in-laws
    2005 CBR with DH and DS
    2000 POFQ with DH
    1998 CSR with Mom
    1997 CBR with friends
    1992 DL with friends
    1979 & 1985 Offsite as a child

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    Chivalry isn't dead, but it has adapted to suit the times.
    I wonder who gets to decide, who write the book. "This month, we will consider it acceptable ..." Sorry, a bit tongue-in-cheek but it is sometimes difficult to keep up when the "standard" apparently turns 180 degrees.
    There isn't even agreement among the folks here.

However, it does point out, at least to me, that it's really not fair to make assumptions and judge others whether they do or do not offer their seat. I don't know their background, their culture, or their issues/difficulties. Whether or not I choose to offer a seat is not about what others around me have or have not done, or what they think. It's about me choosing to offer a kindness at that particular moment, to that particular person. But, that's just my interpretation.

Quote Originally Posted by tmosier View Post
    Absolutely! And boo to whomever years ago started the whole being-polite-to-a-woman-is-really-just-being-sexist thing!
    Kind of one of those "be careful what you ask for" things.
    Marker from MO

Post Thanks / Like

Wow never though I would get in trouble for trying to be polite. Oh Well not the first time won't be the last. Sorry but I will continue to open, or hold doors for ladies, offer my seat to them, etc... I like to think that chilvary is not dead, if I offend you for being polite then I apologize, but it won't stop me from doing so. I don't see how it is a matter of equal rights, I am not saying that you are incapable of standing because you are a woman just that if you would like to have a seat instead of standing then you are welcome to it is just being polite. I can't say I have had anyone get mad at me for doing any of those things at the time, but they may have been just quietly stewing over my male schovanistic attitude.
    I agree. I was raised to be a gentleman, it was instilled in me from a young age by my father and grandfather who I have always looked up to and wanted to be like. I mean no disrespect for holding a door or offering my seat to a lady. If that offends you, I hope you take it in the way it was meant. To me it is meant as a gesture of respect. I hope my son will continue to be the gentleman that he is becoming.
    " I think we dream so we don't have to be apart so long. If we are in each other's dreams, we can be together all the time." Calvin & Hobbes

Post Thanks / Like

I've always felt it's just common courtesy to offer someone else your seat, regardless of gender. As a 39 yo woman, I often offer my seat to older women and men - and they often take it. I also offer to pregnant women and anyone who just looks more beat than I feel - I've been on the other side and always appreciated the gesture so I assume that other people would be appreciative as well. I never thought it would offend so many people to have me, my DH, or my DD's to offer someone a seat but I'd rather offend by offering than appear rude for not offering.
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

A question for Dream14: I have always wanted to ride in the front cab of the monorail. But, I am afraid to ask. Do you and the other monorail employees mind? Or is it a bother when people ask?
    Thanks for your help!!

Post Thanks / Like

Well said Hayden's Dad. I am definitely on your side with this one. If some woman got offended over my polite gesture that is her problem. Maybe there is a difference here between woman and lady.
    °O° Von Drake °O°
    10 trips before 2000 | 2001 Offsite | 2001 SOG | 2002 CR | 2005 ASSp & SOG | 2006 OffSite | 2006 Disneyland | 2007 POP | 2008 POP & SOG

Post Thanks / Like

If you're "just trying to be polite", why not give up your seat to another man? Why just women? That IS cheauvanistic. I (and my wife) will HAPPILY give my/our seat to ANYONE who may need a seat more than us. BUT, being female alone does not constitute a greater need. And, I think treating women that way is an insult to their staus as equals to men. They are NOT inferior; unable to stand for a 5 minute monorail ride. Just what is the point of so-called chivalry? What's the motive behind it? If it's "respect" as some have said, do you "respect" women more than you respect men? Why?

Post Thanks / Like

Do not get sick, ever, on the monorail.
    Obviously you are not a parent. What are you going to do, tell Johnny to hold it until the monorail doors open? Good Lord, like anyone can predict when they're going to woof!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kakn7294 View Post
    I've always felt it's just common courtesy to offer someone else your seat, regardless of gender. As a 39 yo woman, I often offer my seat to older women and men - and they often take it. I also offer to pregnant women and anyone who just looks more beat than I feel - I've been on the other side and always appreciated the gesture so I assume that other people would be appreciative as well. I never thought it would offend so many people to have me, my DH, or my DD's to offer someone a seat but I'd rather offend by offering than appear rude for not offering.
    Exactly. I suppose that if you had to label me, I would be called a feminist...but frankly it is a term as outdated as the idea of an ERA! I commuted to and from Toronto on busy public transportation when I was pregnant neither expecting and often not receiving a seat if one wasn't already vacant. I sure did appreciate it when someone gave me one though!

I want to thank Dreamer14 for the well intentioned post.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Charleston, SC- 395.4 miles/6 hrs. & 15 min. from WDW
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KylesMom View Post
    Obviously you are not a parent. What are you going to do, tell Johnny to hold it until the monorail doors open? Good Lord, like anyone can predict when they're going to woof!
    Brings a whole new meaning to "please stand clear of the doors...por favor...."
    Tara °O°

AP holder since '03 and DVC owner since '08

Next Up:
    April '10--DH, DS11, and me--Spring break/Saratoga Springs Resort/ Flower and Garden Festival

pogo Guest

I applaud the OP for bringing this to everyone's attention. But these rules per say, should apply to everyday life, not just WDW.

And I'm appalled by the reaction of some of the male posters who question and made fun of the comments.

I always offer my seat to women of all ages, men that are older than me, and anyone that really needs it ! It IS the right thing to do !

Please stop with the, "I'm all for myself" attitude !

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't realize it was an issue to leave your kids in the stroller. Our last trip we traveled with our twins who were under the age of two. And our stroller was to wide for the normal doors, so the cast members would always let us wait to use a wider door. Sometimes it would take 3 monorails. But it was easier than trying to fight a stroller and two kids who didn't like to sit still.
    November 2010 Disneyland
    December 2009 Disneyland
    March 2008 Disneyland
    December 2007 Disneyland
    September 2007 All Star Music
    August 2007 Disneyland
    October 2006 Offsite
    December 2003 POR
    June 2001 All Star Music

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: