Quantcast Monorail Etiquette - Page 7

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanears View Post
    As previously requested by Beth, let's please get back on track with the original intent of this thread - monorail etiquette. Thank you!
    No pun intended, Mel?

Looks like we still have a few folks who aren't paying attention. Let's please get back on the topic of general Monorail etiquette, regardless of gender. I think the best rule of general etiquette is to always keep in mind that you're not alone--that there are other people around you. Sometimes people get so wrapped up in the magic that they forget to add to the magic themselves.
    Former watcher of the original b&w Mouseketeers.

Honeymooned in WDW in '76. Devoted husband and WDW fanatic (in that order :-) ) since then.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Amen!! I even make my 10 year, old get up for people.

11 trips
    Last 4 times POLY!!!

Post Thanks / Like

About getting sick on the monorail - does this happen often? Never seen it myself. Obviously not something you'd want to happen, but if a person is ill, they're ill. No sense it getting mad for something they can't control and are probably it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    Deodorant, yes, but there should also be rules on excessive fragrance use. It's hard to be in a monorail compartment (or attraction queue) with people who seem to bathe in their fragrance of choice. I get headaches. If I can smell you from across the monorail, you're wearing too much perfume.
    I could agree more! And while I know it's not hazardous to your health, a lot of people are just as bothered by it as smoke.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the family at WDW Dreamer14!! And I so feel your pain as far as it is my first time working in attractions. The simplist of things are suddenly the hardest things to figure out. When asking a family in their group ...

How many in your group?

The cast member really does want to know the grand total. That includes babies, grandparents, Uncle Sal and Aunt Bessie. Everyone in your group. Our goal is to keep your group together, but if you don't know how many are in your group despite the Disney Magic there is very little we can do.

So as all of you wonderful guests are waiting in line, make sure that you remember to tell the cast member really how many are in your party. Because it really is not a party until all of you are happy!

Post Thanks / Like

Deodorant, yes, but there should also be rules on excessive fragrance use. It's hard to be in a monorail compartment (or attraction queue) with people who seem to bathe in their fragrance of choice. I get headaches. If I can smell you from across the monorail, you're wearing too much perfume.
    Haha, I guess I have only run into stinky people at WDW.
    ~*Crystal*~

May 2002 - Port Orleans Riverside
    M
    ay 2007 - Pop Century Resort
    May 2008 - Royal Pacific Resort at UO
    Sept 2008 - Hard Rock Hotel at UO
    May 2009 - All Star Music

Coming Up: May 2001 - Port Orleans Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, chivalry had to do with knightly code in the way they lived their medieval lives, and not a part of competition to win women. Respect for women became part of the code, but only for women of a certain class (and not below that class, it was a caste system).

The whole idea of offering seats to women came much later with the development of etiquette in transportation situations, and isn't actually a part of chivalric code.

From Wikipedia:

When examining medieval literature, chivalry can be classified into three basic but overlapping areas:

Duties to countrymen and fellow Christians: this contains virtues such as mercy, courage, valor, fairness, protection of the weak and the poor, and in the servant-hood of the knight to his lord. This also brings with it the idea of being willing to give one’s life for another’s; whether he would be giving his life for a poor man or his lord.

Duties to God: this would contain being faithful to God, protecting the innocent, being faithful to the church, being the champion of good against evil, being generous and obeying God above the feudal lord.

Duties to women: this is probably the most familiar aspect of chivalry. This would contain what is often called courtly love, the idea that the knight is to serve a lady, and after her all other ladies. Most especially in this category is a general gentleness and graciousness to all women. (Emphasis added)

These three areas obviously overlap quite frequently in chivalry, and are often indistinguishable.

Post Thanks / Like

In the later Middle Ages, wealthy merchants strove to adopt chivalric attitudes - the sons of the bourgeoisie were educated at aristocratic courts where they were trained in the manners of the knightly class. This was a democratization of chivalry, leading to a new genre called the courtesy book, which were guides to the behavior of "gentlemen". Thus, the post-medieval gentlemanly code of the value of a man's honor, respect for women, and a concern for those less fortunate, is directly derived from earlier ideals of chivalry and historical forces which created it.

This was from the same Wikipedia article and I neglected to include it in my previous post. My apologies.

(Once again emphasis has been added.)

Post Thanks / Like

Default monorail

All the suggestions are good ones I think. You can use alot of those same rules for the buses.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1stitch View Post
    All the suggestions are good ones I think. You can use alot of those same rules for the buses.
    I agree with this!!

~Cheryl~

2x's as a child, 2003 - Music, 2005 - Pop, 2007 - Music (Sept.), 2007- Movies (SSW), 2008-Movies, 2008 - Movies (Nov), 2009 - Movies (June)

2010- March - not booked but going for youngests 7th birthday!!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow this mole hill really looks like a mountain.
    "They punch a hole in the sky with FIRE and MATH!" - Gary podcast #19

Post Thanks / Like

I have another rule I would like to add:

If you are traveling with young children, please do not let them roughhouse all over the cabin, especially if it is crowded.

I know it is sometimes difficult to hold them back, but other passengers will appreciate it. You have no idea how many times after a long day at the MK and riding the monorail, I get smacked in the head/feet stepped on/other injuries due to children playing too roughly.
    First Trip: 1986 at 6 mths. old!
    Latest Trip: February 2017

Next trip: October 1017

Stayed at: Caribbean Beach, POP Century, Wilderness Lodge, The Contemporary, The Polynesian, the Beach Club, the Yacht Club, Grand Floridian, Art of Animation, Disney DREAM

Post Thanks / Like

Please don't set your backpack, bags, personal belongings in the seat next to you. This might be a spot where someone else could sit. I have seen this happen on several occasions.
    Multiple wonderful trips; Next June 2012
    "All it takes is faith and trust...and just a little bit of pixie dust."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Septbride2002 View Post
    Wow this mole hill really looks like a mountain.

Oh, I think it still looks like a molehill.

But maybe that's because I'm standing.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Returning to the etiquette queue. One thing that everyone needs to remember, at the end of the day most folks are tired, so we need remind ourselves not to spoil the magic and help each other. There will be another bus/Monorail/ferry etc. If you see a family that may be struggling with multiple tired children & strollers you may want to let them go before you. Let's all keep the magic going!
    Eric
    Resorts:
    POLYNESIAN (Favorite), Grand Floridian, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs. Beach Club, Saratoga Springs, AoA, All Star Sports and POP Century

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gerald72 View Post
    Do you see anything wrong with an able-bodied woman giving up her seat to an able-bodied man? Do you ever see this? The guy must think, do I look like I can't stand for 3 minutes?

No, I don't see anything wrong with a woman giving her seat to a man. I've done that myself. I only said because it was being made into such a big deal. Personally, I think most of the people who push and shove to get seats don't need them. Can they stand for more than 3 minutes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyorBust View Post
    Returning to the etiquette queue. One thing that everyone needs to remember, at the end of the day most folks are tired, so we need remind ourselves not to spoil the magic and help each other. There will be another bus/Monorail/ferry etc. If you see a family that may be struggling with multiple tired children & strollers you may want to let them go before you. Let's all keep the magic going!
    Good point, Eric. A kind deed does not only benefit those who receive, but also those who give (and can end their evening with a good feeling in their heart!)
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

To all the men on this forum who still open doors and offer seats to women...THANK YOU! I may not always take you up on it it, but I will always appreciate it.

Maybe it is growing up in the deep south with grandfathers, a dad, and uncles who always did these things, but to me this is common courtesy. I guess that is why I picked a husband who has the same traditional values and courtesy!

As a women, I also hold doors open and offer seats to whoever looks to be in need . The way I see it, I would hope that when I was in a situation where I needed it that someone would do the same for me. And I ALWAYS offer my seat to people who are older because I hope someone would do the same for my grandparents.

Just my two cents...

Kristin

Kristin
    Momma to two sweet boys: Myers and Jacob
    36 trips and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

well my philosophy teacher would have loved this.... our chapter on ethics seemed to last FOREVER!

i think we can all agree that ANYBODY can get up for ANYONE that looks as if they need a seat more. if you just like doing it out of kindness then good for you! if you seriosly think that the person giving up their seat for you is saying to themself "this is an inferior girl. i must insult her by offering my seat." then just chillback a little.

NOW back to the spirit of the post: i was one time in the handicapt car of the monorail and you know how their is that middle thing that has the poles to hold on to? (hmm this is going to be hard to explain) well in the handicapt car i dont know if anyone else noticed but that middle thing has like an opening in the middle. well a girl approx. 7 ish decided it looked like a gymnastics beam and was climbing it the whole time. if the monorail were to stop she would come flying into us! can that be a rule too: respect the monorail by using the seats if one wishes to sit and the floor (with complimentary handrails) if one wishes to stand.

oh and im in favor of the deoderant/heavy perfume thing.
    1991 - Fairway Villas, 1993 - Old Key West, 1995 - Yacht Club, 1997 - Fort Wilderness, 2003 - Fort Wilderness, 2004 - Contemporary, 2005 - Caribbean, 2007 - Polynesian, 2012 - Disneyland Paris, 2014 - Beach Club, 2015 - Beach Club
    2016 - Contemporary
    Lisa

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Vomit anyone???

it makes me sick when I give up my seat to a mom with a child or an elderly person and they don't say "Thank you"" They almost EXPECT it.I am a woman, a mom and a wife trying to do the kind thing. it just makes me sick when I don't get a thank you. or, a mom is holding a child, you give up your seat and the CHILD sits down!! Bizarre!!
    ¸,ø¤º°`¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,Karen°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¸,ø¤º°`°º¸,ø¤º °`°º¤ø,¸¸,DVC MEMBER
    ¤ø,¸¸,ø¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø"If you believe in Magic, you belong..."¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¸,ø¤º°`° º¤ø,¸¸,ø¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dizknee531 View Post
    it makes me sick when I give up my seat to a mom with a child or an elderly person and they don't say "Thank you"" They almost EXPECT it.I am a woman, a mom and a wife trying to do the kind thing. it just makes me sick when I don't get a thank you. or, a mom is holding a child, you give up your seat and the CHILD sits down!! Bizarre!!
    While it doesn't really make me sick, it does make me a little sad. Young, old, man, woman, doesn't matter. Too many people now feel entitled, and expect others to do for them. Etiquette aside, if we all just had better manners, even for just the basic stuff, it would make interacting with others just a little better. Unfortunatly, we live in a me me me society, and I'm not sure it will change anytime soon.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: