Quantcast Anyone out there belong to direct buy?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone out there belong to direct buy?

We are about to start planning a kitchen redo and I am thinking about Direct Buy. I am a little cautious though, the commercials really make it look too good to be true! Any advice or info about them would be great thanks!

~Allison
    ~~Allison~~ °O°
    Snarky will miss VMK!!!

Happy DVC BWV owner since 1998!!
    PoTC: Rusty Saber, a Proud Seafury!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know a whole lot about it, but I researched it a little and decided it wasn't worth it. You pay a huge upfront membership fee which covers you for a few years. The fee gives you access to all their discounts, but in order to make up your membership fee you really have to be doing something big (a kitchen redo might be worth it).

Their sales tactics, from what I've read, aren't very straightforward either. They invite you to come to their showroom and give you a high-pressure sales pitch and then make you decide on the spot whether you'll join or not. If you decline, you can never come back.

The whole thing actually seems a little shady to me.
    Geaux Tigers!

Last Trip: Honeymoon at DL and So. Cal. CityPass 5/27 - 6/2/2007

Next trip: WDW 9/6-12/2009 @ Pop for DD's 4th birthday!

Follow the trip on Twitter: scottinwdw.

Post Thanks / Like

I belonged to an earlier version of this type of club back in the early nineties and it was a huge mistake. We were very sorry we joined, had nothing but trouble getting our merchandise, picking it up, and found the savings was not that impressive in the end. It was far more hassle and cost than it was worth. We ended up being invited to join a class action lawsuit against the company to refund membership fees, and then it folded.

I have no idea about Direct Buy, but the concept is similar enough to make me steer away from it.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I do not have any experience with them personally but one of the ladies that i know has an account with them.

She just built her own log cabin and she said that it paid for itself in no time. She and her husband got everything there - kitchen, bath, lights, etc.

If you have a big project, it may be worth it as the upfront cost is pretty high from what I remember.

- Fryguy
    - DVC Member Since 2001 (WL & SS)
    - Cisco CCIE

Post Thanks / Like

I don't belong so I don't know what the fees are. However, the tile company that I work for is one of the company's that they buy through. Basically, how it works from us is that Direct Buy gets a discount, lower than what the contractors would be. I'm not sure what they pass on to you...they might mark it up a bit to make some money off of it.
    The problem that I've seen is that they have a high personnel turnover and they often times don't know the procedure on purchasing from the different companies. It can be a real pain for the homeowner when they find out I am not allowed to give them pricing although some new person at Direct Buy said that I can. So the waste a trip to my store and then have to go back to Direct Buy!
    OH---I am interning right now with an interior designer and one of the people whose house we are doing is a member. She said that she is there a lot, and on three seperate occasions sales people have asked her to help them close the deal! How unprofessional!
    Karen

2009 ~ Hopefully next trip!
    1/2006 ~Coronado Springs
    12/1999 ~Caribbean Beach

Post Thanks / Like

We had talked with Direct Buy a couple years ago when we bought our home. When we told them we had decided we were not interested, thye continued to harass us for almost 6 months. They tried to pressure us into feeling guilty for not joining them and even told my wife we were wrong for not making an appointment because we had verbally committed to them. I have nothing good to say about them and had considered reprting them to the BBB and the State's AG office.
    1999 AS Sports
    2000 AS Movies
    2001 Offsite
    2003 Offsite
    2005 POP
    2006 POP
    2007 POR
    Feb 08 Offsite Vacation Home
    Sep 08 POP
    Aug 09 AS Sports
    Feb 10 Nick Hotel
    Aug 10 POP

Post Thanks / Like

I interviewed for a job at a Direct Buy showroom on Long Island about 10 years ago. The info I got in the process made both me and my DH a little wary. My understanding of it was that their sales tactics where a little more high pressure then my liking. I also understood, someone already said, that the intial investment was very high.
    Melissa

4/87 offsite, 3/05 AKL, 10/06 WL, 3/08 GF, 1/09 WL, 3/09 Poly, 10/09 SSR, 1/10 AKV, 10/10 BLT, 12/10 AKV, 2/11 Poly, 5/11 BCV, 10/11 BLT, 12/11 WL, 5/12 1st Cruise on the Dream & BWV, 10/12 BLT!

"...That's the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up." Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know much about DirectBuy. I've actually learned most of what I know about them from reading this thread!

Anyways, Ikea sells kitchen cabinets and they have many kinds and they look nice. Have you looked at them? I would think they would have reasonable prices.
    Disney World: 10/92 Yacht Club, 11/96 Disney Institute, 12/00 Yacht Club, 6/05 Beach Club, 8/06 Shades of Green, 8/07 Caribbean Beach Resort, 10/07 Coronado Springs, 12/08 French Quarter, 3/10 All Star Sports, 4/12 Port Orleans Riverside

Disneyland: 1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013

Post Thanks / Like

DON'T DO IT!!!!

A few weeks ago I started a thread asking if high pressure sales tactics were used by Disney Vacation Club. The reason for it was I had just heard from a friend who went to an "Information Meeting" for Direct Buy.

There was an incredible amount of pressure put on them to join. When one team member failed, a better team member was sent in. When he failed, more pressure was put on to join. Try to leave without joining and with your free gift? Forget it!

The initiation fee was staggering. Almost not worth joining for one kitchen. If you were doing a whole house, it might be worth your while, but I doubt it.
    Officially too many trips to list here!

Post Thanks / Like

So everybody is mentioning the huge fee.....how much is it?
    Disney World: 10/92 Yacht Club, 11/96 Disney Institute, 12/00 Yacht Club, 6/05 Beach Club, 8/06 Shades of Green, 8/07 Caribbean Beach Resort, 10/07 Coronado Springs, 12/08 French Quarter, 3/10 All Star Sports, 4/12 Port Orleans Riverside

Disneyland: 1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BronxTigger View Post
    So everybody is mentioning the huge fee.....how much is it?
    I believe the fee is usually around $5,000 to join
    Rob Hinkle
    28 Visits to the Magical Vacation Kingdom of Disney World and counting!

Next Trips -
    December 2010 - WDW - Contemporary
    January 2011 - WDW - Beach Club Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robhink View Post
    I believe the fee is usually around $5,000 to join
    I'd rather visit Walt and Mickey for sure.
    Keep smiling and Have a magical day!!!
    It's all good.

We love to serve fun, food, and deliciousness.

AKA: Jean and Marty

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: