Quantcast Who Has Cancelled Their Trip Due To Fuel Prices ??

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Southern New Jersey ( only 1024 miles away )
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry Who Has Cancelled Their Trip Due To Fuel Prices ??

It is SAD to say that fuel prices will force us to cancel our yearly F.W. trip this year due to the fact that we are 1028 miles from our front door to F.W. and our 39 foot motorhome is diesel. Although it is MUCH cheaper for us to stay at F.W. in our motorhome instead of flying and staying at a resort, it has still become too expensive for fuel. So in great sadness we will be cancelling our November 2008 resies and HOPING that fuel prices will fall or at least level out so we can budget higher fuel costs for our 2009 trip.. We never thought that we would be forced not to be alble to visit our most favorite place.. WHAT is the world coming to ????????????????????
    1973,76,78,79,81,82 Off Site
    1994,96,97- ASSP
    1996,97- CBR
    1998- DCL-MAGIC (HONEYMOON)
    1999- ASMV
    2004- DCL-WONDER
    2005- CSR
    2002,03,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,12,13, 14 F.W.
    2008-DCL WONDER (Double Dip)
    2010 DCL WONDER
    2013 DCL DREAM
    ș șOș șOș șOș șOș
    Next Trip: F.W. December 2015

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry. Up until a few month ago, I was extremely jealous of anyone who owned a Class A diesel pusher but, right now, can't imagine needing to pay the fuel bill! Hopefully, fuel prices will fall enough to allow you to get back on the road again!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

We were going to go this summer but the trip has been put off till ???? because of fuel prices.

16 trips to "The World"

Last trip - April 2018 - Polynesian
    Next trip to WDW - December 2018 - Beach club

"Disneyworld will never be complete. It will continue to grow as long as there's imagination left in the world."

Post Thanks / Like

We have a 28' fifth wheel that we have not taken to FW for the past 3 years. We opted to stay at one of the resorts due to high fuel prices. We've been able to get great airfare from Southwest (although I don't know what we'll get for our trip this September). I totally miss FW but it just doesn't make sense to spend the money on gas. I wonder if gas prices are hurting FW???
    23 times since 1993 and still counting

Post Thanks / Like

We are planning on Dec. and I have heard that the gas will maybe be over 5.00 a gallon...I hope that is not the case so we dont have to think about not going...
    Amy
    80 Camping șoș
    89 Offsite șoș
    05 ASM șoș
    06-07-08-09-10-10-11-12-13-14-15 POR șoș

Post Thanks / Like

So far our Jan 09 trip is still on the books. Mostly because we're splitting costs with my parents who are also going. And flying from ND to WDW actually costs $400 more for the 5 of us than driving. I'm hoping that because we're going in the winter, diesel prices will have leveled off or maybe even gone down a little. But we will likely cut back other places like skipping the hoppers and eating more meals in the RV than in the parks. I hope we don't have to cancel, but we'll see what the next few months bring.
    "Oh that clock, even HE orders me around!"
    -Cinderella
    ~~~~~~
    Next trip: DLR February 2015
    Last trip: January 2014.
    7 trips to the World.
    1 trip to Disneyland Paris.
    25 trips to Disneyland.

Post Thanks / Like

I am sorry....the gas prices are definitely a bummer! My SUV definitely has become driveway decor as I drive the Honda everywhere I go now! My sister is planning to pull her RV down in January when we go to WDW but she is saving big time now due to the gas prices. If she didn't have 4 kids and wasn't planning to stay a week at WDW she would probably rethink her decision as well!
    I hope you can plan another trip in the near future!
    Disney Dream'n
    ~Bev

"All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." ~Walt Disney

First Trip 1977 Fort Wilderness Campground
    Many trips in between!

Typical Disney Home- Wilderness Lodge - OUR NEW HOME AT WDW!!!
    Last Trip Feb 2010 Princess Half Polynesian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mickey98 View Post
    It is SAD to say that fuel prices will force us to cancel our yearly F.W. trip this year due to the fact that we are 1028 miles from our front door to F.W. and our 39 foot motorhome is diesel. Although it is MUCH cheaper for us to stay at F.W. in our motorhome instead of flying and staying at a resort, it has still become too expensive for fuel. So in great sadness we will be cancelling our November 2008 resies and HOPING that fuel prices will fall or at least level out so we can budget higher fuel costs for our 2009 trip.. We never thought that we would be forced not to be alble to visit our most favorite place.. WHAT is the world coming to ????????????????????

What does it cost for you to fill up your RV and what kinda MPG's does it get.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

A truly sad state of affairs...the gas prices have not forced us not to go...but they have eaten a pretty good chunk out of our discretionary money...and we don;t even own an RV anymore...we got rid of our camper just prior to our last relocation, but wouldn't have been able to use for anything but local trips given the fuel prices. Sure am glad I bought the Subaru Forrester now instead of the Ford Explorer.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Default To the FW cancellation family

Since you still would love to go, and you don't want to pay Diesel costs, why not "rough" it this year and see the tent camping side of FW this year. We did the math for our trip in sept, and we live in Dec. Ill and suggesting that we have to pay $4.50 a gal. (i overshot it a bit just so I don't get sticker shocked), It will cost us approximately $433 round trip, to drive to Disneyworld; 1036 miles from home. When we went in Feb., it cost us about $350. Bummer, BUT, I am still glad I am not flying my family, for a grand total of $1300. If I were you, I would grab an area rug, a few small lamps, pack your clothes into some type of plastic drawers or bring collapsible boxes, bring some air mattresses, an elect. blanket J.I.C., and still see Disney. You may be suprised how much fun a tent can be in Disney. If you decide to do this, dont forget to rain repellent spray your tent. A lot of people don't realize this needs to be done. I would def. go though. Don't let gas prices stop you from truly enjoying the lifetime you have!
    A man should never neglect his family for business.-Walt Disney
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD
    Feb12-Off
    Sep12-BCV/Pop
    Jan13-FW/AOA
    Feb13-CBR
    Sept13-Dland
    Dec13-FW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caryrae View Post
    What does it cost for you to fill up your RV and what kinda MPG's does it get.
    Our R.V. Holds 100 gallons of fuel and costs approx $475.00 each time to fill.. We fill approx 3 times down and back.. We get approx 8-10 mpg....
    1994,96,97- ASSP
    1996,97- CBR
    1999- ASMV
    2004- DCL-WONDER
    2005- CSR
    2010 DCL WONDER
    2013 DCL DREAM
    ș șOș șOș șOș șOș

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonahbear2006 View Post
    Since you still would love to go, and you don't want to pay Diesel costs, why not "rough" it this year and see the tent camping side of FW this year. We did the math for our trip in sept, and we live in Dec. Ill and suggesting that we have to pay $4.50 a gal. (i overshot it a bit just so I don't get sticker shocked), It will cost us approximately $433 round trip, to drive to Disneyworld; 1036 miles from home. When we went in Feb., it cost us about $350. Bummer, BUT, I am still glad I am not flying my family, for a grand total of $1300. If I were you, I would grab an area rug, a few small lamps, pack your clothes into some type of plastic drawers or bring collapsible boxes, bring some air mattresses, an elect. blanket J.I.C., and still see Disney. You may be suprised how much fun a tent can be in Disney. If you decide to do this, dont forget to rain repellent spray your tent. A lot of people don't realize this needs to be done. I would def. go though. Don't let gas prices stop you from truly enjoying the lifetime you have!
    Sorry, We can only go in November due to school schedules.. And not to seem snobbish but if you have ever went to F.W. in a 39 ft motorhome you would not tent camp ( sorry ). There are 5 of us that go and driving 18-20 hours in our daily driving vehicle is not my idea of fun.. We also take our golf cart with us to save dollars on renting one..
    1994,96,97- ASSP
    1996,97- CBR
    1999- ASMV
    2004- DCL-WONDER
    2005- CSR
    2010 DCL WONDER
    2013 DCL DREAM
    ș șOș șOș șOș șOș

Post Thanks / Like

Our R.V. Holds 100 gallons of fuel and costs approx $475.00 each time to fill.. We fill approx 3 times down and back.. We get approx 8-10 mpg....
    Wow almost $1500 in fuel just to get there and back but I guess it's still cheaper then buying 5 roundtrip airline tickets most likely.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

last year i left central Nj went down to fortlauderdale then up to disney a few days of short trips while there then back to NJ with my dodge gas powered truck pulling a 32 ft travel trailer it cost me aproximately 1000.00 i can only guess what it will cost this year hopefully without the trip to fort lauderdale just Nj to disney 's fort wilderness and home it will be about the same or maybe a little less lolwell i can always hope when we go in Oct prices drop a little but not getting my hopes to high on that we cancelled all our other camping trips just to save for disney it's going to be a long summer with no other trips but 15 days in disney is WORTH it nothing else compares so we will have to suffer through til then
    1085.35 miles from Fort Wilderness
    92-Port
    93-Poly
    99-Fort
    00-Fort
    01-Fort
    02-Fort
    03-Fort
    04-Fort
    05-Fort
    06-Fort
    07-Fort
    oct. 08-Fort

Post Thanks / Like

Default airline tickets

actually when I tried to add a flight to our plan, with 5 tickets, through disney, it broke down to about $1100 for the flight, round trip for 5 people. That is still high, though. We didn't want to pay it. Hmmm, we have never stayed in an RV. We never had that luxury but we thought that the tent was pretty comfortable in F.W. I have tent camped since I was little bitty and this is the best campground I have ever stayed at. I love doing this cause I know I am not blowing any money on sleep.
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD
    Feb12-Off
    Sep12-BCV/Pop
    Jan13-FW/AOA
    Feb13-CBR
    Sept13-Dland
    Dec13-FW

Post Thanks / Like

One thing to also remember the wear and tear on your vechicle along with the mileage mine is always very low i drive about 10 min or less to work so i put very little mileage on if we flew we also would have to kennel our 2 dogs staying in our camper cost 1/2 of most resorts maybe even less so the cost of gas is still worth it for us even with the 1085.35 mile trip my 2 year old truck has been to disney twice this oct will be trip number 3 it only has just over 20,000 miles on it guess i need to get out more we break our trip into 2 days we travel from central Nj to the Ga border and stay in the savanha Koa then to the fort the next day on the way home we usually get to the Nc border of Va area and stay in a koa agian they all seem to be pet friendly so our 2 old dogs travel with us they seem to love going on trips and being in the camper
    1085.35 miles from Fort Wilderness
    92-Port
    93-Poly
    99-Fort
    00-Fort
    01-Fort
    02-Fort
    03-Fort
    04-Fort
    05-Fort
    06-Fort
    07-Fort
    oct. 08-Fort

Post Thanks / Like

I really hate to hear that you are having to cancel your trip, I really hope that I won't ever be faced with that decision. The price of diesel is exceptionally painful right now.

For the first time that I can remember, the price of gas was actually a concern for us this vacation, but not a big concern...
    I cut down on our "going out" meals a bit, and we got less souveniers, but it didn't stop us from taking a trip.

As far as flying down to Orlando.....won't ever happen for us(as a family). For one, camping at FW is "da'bomb". Second, to fly a family of five down there would cost me roughly $2300. So if it comes down to it, I can toss a tent in the back of the little car and "suffer" for a week or so in FW.

Now, back to budgeting our '09 trip.....$5 or $6 a gallon....
    JR
    '86 Ramada Inn somewhere in Orlando :P
    '95 All Star Sports
    '00 All Star Music
    '03 Fort Wilderness
    '06 Fort Wilderness
    '07 Animal Kingdom Lodge

'09 Fort Wilderness
    '12 All Star Movies
    '13 Pop Century
    '14 Fort Wilderness
    '15 Fort Wilderness

Post Thanks / Like

From what I've been reading and hearing there are a good many people who are vacationing closer to home rather than making a 1200 mile or so trip to FW. Reports have been that reservations at the Fort appear light...lots of empty sites..especially during the week.
    I don't think it is simply the increase in the fuel it takes to get to the Fort, but more a cumulative effect that the increase in gas has on the rest of our economy. The weekly trip to the grocery store has increased dramatically. The cost of commuting to and from work, has increased. Along with the gas, you can add increases to the tolls. Even the transist systems have raised their rates for mass transit. Its the trickle down effect that the increase in fuel has on every other aspect of our lives that has people thinking twice about vacations. Certainly a few hundred dollars more for the actual fuel isn't the only issue influencing the decision to go or not to go. It's how this increase is creeping into every other aspect of our budget that isn't leaving very much left over.
    Phyllis

Post Thanks / Like

Default trips closer to home

We looked into this actually. We were considering spending the vacation in Chicago, instead of Disneyworld. It was going to be this week. We decided against it because a decent hotel that would have allowed us to not drive and park everywhere was about $325-$350 a night and then on top of that $35 a night to park your car with no ins and outs. Disney has spoiled us. After a week of spending that, we could've driven to Disney and Camped at FW for the week and bought park tickets, just the extra cost of gas and it if is a $500 difference between Disney and Chicago, Disney will always win. Free Dining plan is somewhat of a bonus, along with the call from the castmember who offered us free tickets to the parks so we upgraded to Beach club. I am thrilled. My husband always works an extra job for a month or two before our trip. It helps us afford to go, so this is our "suffer" time, not the trip down. We actually thoroughly enjoy the car trips to Fl and the kids are very well behaved.(we leave at bedtime so they sleep most of the way.)
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD
    Feb12-Off
    Sep12-BCV/Pop
    Jan13-FW/AOA
    Feb13-CBR
    Sept13-Dland
    Dec13-FW

Post Thanks / Like

I hope you don't mind but...
    I have pm'd you the name of someone who rents their fifth wheel. Beautiful rig...three slideouts and two seperate bedroom areas. This might be an option you might want to consider. It is not a national chain. They actually will place it on site for you in FW, and hook up your gray,black,and fresh water. Includes chairs and awning matt. All your cookware, and towels and linens. The national chains don't offer any of that. Pretty much all you need to do is bring yourselves. It would save you the gas of bringing your own motor home, yet you'd be able to stay in Fort Wilderness. We are renting from these people this summer, and several people on another camping board have given them very good reviews. Just thought it might be something you might want to consider...if not now, then for another time. I know we have a travel trailer, and my husband has no real desire(or do we have the time needed) to tow from NY and back.Add the cost of gas to it..and there's just no way that's gonna happen. This way we can fly..and there are some reasonable flights on Southwest to Orlando, and still stay in FW, in the caming loops. We've tried the cabins, and they were just a bit removed from the campground amenties for us. I prefer to be in the regular camping loops.
    Phyllis

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: