Quantcast Best and Worst Attraction inprovements

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Best and Worst Attraction inprovements

Since our first visit was not until 2001 I don't have a lot of experience in this, but was wondering in your opinion, what is the best improvement of an attraction or space and what is the worst?

For me, the best I have noticed is The Living Seas Nemo makeover.

The worst is the Alien Encounter Stitch makeover.
    Grim Grinning Ghosts come out to socialize.
    Nov/Dec 2001 POR-early 10th anniversary
    Oct/Nov 2002 Poly/AKL-late 10th anniversary
    Dec 2003 POR
    Nov 2007 CBR
    Oct/Nov 2008 CBR/AKL
    Nov/Dec 2019? I HOPE!!!!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

From what I've seen, what I'd consider 'the best' right now is the recent Haunted Mansion update.

The worst...Alien Encounter becoming Stitche's Great Escape. That attraction is a tragedy now!

Chris
    Remembering the Magic:
    March 1997 - Off site
    March 1999 - Caribbean Beach Resort
    May 2007 - Pop Century & Caribbean Beach Resort
    September 2007 - Pop Century Resort
    August 2008 - Coronado Springs Resort

UP NEXT::
    October 2009//MNSSHP//CSR!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Worst/Best Attraction Makeovers

I was really disappointed with the make over of The Enchanted Tiki Room. I don't dislike the new version, but I just loved the original version.

I think the best makeover I have seen is POTC. I am a huge POTC fan and I just love Captain Jack!!

I also preferred the "now is the time" song at Carousel of Progress vs. "it's a great big beautiful tomorrow".
    Yo Ho Yo Ho a Pirates Life for Me

Post Thanks / Like

At the moment for me, the best is the Haunted Mansion. Just the right amount of new stuff and good old fashioned refurb of the old stuff.

The worst for me is El Rio Del Tiempo, or The Gran Fiesta now. A relaxing boat ride that actually tried to give you a feel for Mexico is just another annoying cartoon.

(note: I still haven't ridden the new Spaceship Earth yet, so once I've seen it in person - only videos online - I might change my worst...)
    "I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, evil stuff. And I want in."
    - Homer Simpson

Post Thanks / Like

The best improvement has to be replacing If You Had Wings/ Dreamflight/ Take Flight with Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin.
    IMHO replacing the Alien Encounter with Stich was the worst improvement, coming in a close second is Pooh taking up residence in Toad Hall .
    Feb '19 Aulani
    Aug '18 Pop Century
    Feb '18 Disneyland
    Dec '16 Yacht & Beach Club
    Oct '13 Carribbean Beach
    Dec '10 AK Kidani Village
    Dec '09 Port Orleans FQ
    Dec '08 Polynesian
    Dec '05 Pop Century

Dec '02 AS Sports
    '73- '92 numerous off site

'71 Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by devoted93 View Post
    The worst for me is El Rio Del Tiempo, or The Gran Fiesta now. A relaxing boat ride that actually tried to give you a feel for Mexico is just another annoying cartoon.
    I still can't figure out the reasoning behind that change. The worst part about it is that they removed the catchy tune and replaced it with the Three Caballeros song. It's not that I dislike the Three Caballeros song, but it just doesn't give me the happy feeling that the original song did.

My favorite update by far is the Haunted Mansion refurbishment. I feel that they removed the only weaknesses that the ride had and replaced them with elements that make it an even better ride than before.

My least favorite is the change from Alien Encounter to Stitch's Great Escape. I'm not even going to get started on how that went wrong.
    I'm a dad! My daughter, Eisley, was born on December 17, 2010.

Regular WDW visitor since 1981

Harrisonburg, VA--too far from the magic!
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree that the worst is El Rio del Tiempo. I loved that ride before but think that the refurb really hurt it. I don't really know which I would consider the best to be. We enjoyed Spaceship Earth and POTC.
    ºoº Tiffany ºoº

Many trips offsite growing up
    2/08 CBR
    10/09 Pop/POFQ
    12/09-1/10 POR/CR
    10/10 POLY
    12/11 POFQ

Next Up:
    POFQ 10/14 - 11/14

Post Thanks / Like

I love what they did to Pirates and HM. Those were two really well done refurbs. They stayed true to the original attractions, but added so much!

I really, really don't like El Rio/Grand Fiesta. Sure, the old version needed tweaking, maybe cleaning up the film, adding a few new scenes. But now it just makes no sense...I really, really, really don't like it!
    Meg

40 trips (plus two to Disneyland, and one to Disneyland Paris) and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

best-hm (we love the never ending staircase)

worst- Enchanted Tiki Room...they had a great thing and cheapened it with an annoying movie tie in. Went to DL a year or so back, and thoroughly enjoyed the original version.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

The best is either HM or POTC and they are close enough I can't choose between them.

There have been a lot of less than great refurbs and Stitch certainly is near the top but nothing reaches the badness of Journey into your Imagination. Of all the refurbs over the years it is the one that was the least imaginative of all and in the Imagination pavillion at that.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

What I disliked most about the change to El rio/Grand Fiesta was they took out the market scene where the person trying to sell you something would follow your boat from one video screen to the next and then to the third. i thought that was very funny and it did remind me of a trip to mexico. My wife and I always enjoyed "guessing" which sales person we would get.
    DVC Member Since 2005

SSR - June 2007
    Boardwalk/SSR - November 2006
    Coronado - November 2005
    All Star Sports - June 2005
    Port Orleans - November 2004
    Grand Floridian - November 2003
    Swan - June 2002
    5 trips pre-2000

lockedoutlogic Guest

I would say that pirates is probably the best.....with honorably mention to the Living Seas.....

the worst is no question Imagination.....we all know that....two disasterous and silly updates to a ride that made the pavilion the worst at EPCOT....after being the best for the first 15years.....

Stitch is terrible....but that was done to reuse hardware....which is a mistake i don't think they'll make again.....

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite has to be the HM and POTC. I think they did a great job keeping the original feel of the rides while updating it for newer audiences--I was originally worried about the movie tie in with POTC, but it works really well since it's not ALL about Jack.

The worst would have to be Imagination. What did they do to my childhood?!?!?!

And though I don't DISLIKE it, I'm a bit saddened by the new Living Seas. Don't get me wrong, the ride is pretty cool. But there's something missing without the hydrolators and the film. My sister and I still will pause randomly when it starts raining and go "And then....the rains came."
    First Trip: 1986 at 6 mths. old!
    Latest Trip: February 2017

Next trip: October 1017

Stayed at: Caribbean Beach, POP Century, Wilderness Lodge, The Contemporary, The Polynesian, the Beach Club, the Yacht Club, Grand Floridian, Art of Animation, Disney DREAM

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sisterdisco View Post
    I was really disappointed with the make over of The Enchanted Tiki Room.
    I totally agree. The first time I visited the tiki room "under new management," I got all excited when Jose and the other birds started in with "In the tiki. . . " only to be cut short by those annoying birds from Aladdin and The Lion King, before the song even had a chance to take off!

I like the refurb for Universe of Energy. I think Ellen is hillarious, and I enjoy Bill Nye the Science Guy. I don't even notice I'm sitting there for 45 minutes.
    1992--(First Visit!) Off Site
    1994--BC
    1995--Off Site
    1996--Off Site
    1998--CBR
    1999--Off Site
    2002--Poly
    2002-2006--Disneyland Annual Passholder
    2005--Off Site
    2006--CSR
    2008--*Planned Sept* GF/BCV/VWL

Just joined the DVC June 2008--AKV!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, and I'm actually disappointed in the fact that they added the movie characters to POTC. I liked it much more before Barbosa and Jack showed up. I thought it was pretty funny without any big-name additions.
    1992--(First Visit!) Off Site
    1994--BC
    1995--Off Site
    1996--Off Site
    1998--CBR
    1999--Off Site
    2002--Poly
    2002-2006--Disneyland Annual Passholder
    2005--Off Site
    2006--CSR
    2008--*Planned Sept* GF/BCV/VWL

Just joined the DVC June 2008--AKV!

Post Thanks / Like

There are things I like and dislike about a lot of the changes on attractions, so it is really hard to choose a favorite and least favorite.

For instance, I really like the new Living Seas ride. It's cute. But it's so short, it feels like they might not have bothered, and I do miss the hydrolators. Also, if anyone remembers the original ride-through at Living Seas, it was so much better. I miss that. So it seems to me that with every change, they gain some, and lose some. The worst thing they could do is to stay static and never risk the changes on attractions showing wear, so I'm all for change in general.

That said, the very worst change of all for me is one that I am surprised no one has mentioned yet: Closing and cementing over the 20,000 Leagues lagoon for Pooh's Playful Spot. What a mistake! I trust it's a temporary fix and there's more to come, but what a loss in the meantime. The lagoon added a whole extra element of magic and fantasy to Fantasyland and I still feel the loss of it.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

.....last time in WDW (Nov `08)...the El Rio del Tiempo "revisions" were in place...just waiting for me to take the ride. I passed on the ride, and instead allowed my daughter and her friends (all 11 yrs old at the time) to take the ride while I was awaiting our dinner seating. By the look on my daughter's face upon exiting the ride....and the look alone mind you...I KNEW that I would have been disappointed had I gone for the ride with them!! So...El Rio del Tiempo...gets my vote for "worst improvement". (I did however check out the ride on youtube...and it did confirm that I'd be disappointed)

...my vote for "best improvement" would have to go to The Haunted Mansion.
    April '04- POP
    "Jersey Week" '04 - ASM
    "Jersey Week" '05- POP
    "Jersey Week" '06- POP
    "Jersey Week"'07- DCL & POP
    "Jersey Week" '08- POP
    Dec '09- Jan '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '11- POP
    Aug-Sept '12- POP
    Aug-Sept '13- POP
    Aug '17 - POP

Post Thanks / Like

The best is POTC

The worst is stitch
    Rob
    2/90 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
    2/92, 94, 98 - Beach Club
    2/96 - Dixie Landings
    2/99, 00 - All Star Sports
    5/05 - Pop Century
    5/07 - Coronado Springs
    8/08 - Beach Club Villas
    4/10 - Wilderness Lodge Villas
    8/12 - Disneyland (offsite)
    11/13 - Beach Club Villas

DVC Member

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    That said, the very worst change of all for me is one that I am surprised no one has mentioned yet: Closing and cementing over the 20,000 Leagues lagoon for Pooh's Playful Spot. What a mistake! I trust it's a temporary fix and there's more to come, but what a loss in the meantime. The lagoon added a whole extra element of magic and fantasy to Fantasyland and I still feel the loss of it.

20K Leagues was one of my favorites. Althougth I haven't been there since the refurb to it at DL, I think putting Nemo into 20K was a much better move than the Living Seas (although it's not a bad update).

As for best, I kind of like Test Track at the old World of Motion pavillion.
    I'm no fool, no siree, I'm going to live to be 103. I play safe for you and me, cause I'm no fool."

POP - 09/07
    POP - 09/08
    SSR - 09/09

Next Trip
    Breaking the pattern this year and doing AllStar Movies Dec 11-18, 2010

Post Thanks / Like

The Best: Haunted Mansion. I'm so glad they updated the attic portion of the ride into something similiar of the Disneyland HM. And not only did they do that, but they got rid of the tacky spiders and did an incredible makeover on that portion. Good job, Imagineers!

The Worst: Definately Pooh's Playful Spot. Even though I was too young to go on 20K, I've been on sites dedicated to the ride and I thought it looked amazing! I really wish it was still around so that I could possibly view it myself instead of watching it through YouTube.
    "Strike Yer Colors, You Bloomin' Cocker-roachers!"

April '02 - WL
    April/Nov '03 - POFQ/Poly
    April/August '04 - POFQ
    August/Nov/Dec. '05 - POFQ/AKL/CS
    June/August '06 - POFQ
    August '07 - POFQ
    August '08 - PC
    August/October '09 - POFQ/PC
    Next: August '10 - POFQ

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: