Quantcast Skaneateles, NY

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Skaneateles, NY

Post Thanks / Like

Default Skaneateles, NY

I'm heading to upstate NY to stay for a week in July at Skaneateles. My dad grew up in nearby Marcellus so we're making a week and exploring the area. I will have a rental car so can travel around somewhat.
    I see there is a minor league baseball team in Auburn. Is there one closer to Skaneateles?
    Any recommendations on places to eat while in Skaneateles?
    Any other day trips to consider?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

You are not that far from Syracuse, NY (about 30 minutesthey have a baseball team called the Chiefs. Their stadium is near Carasoul mall which has one of the 2 disney stores in NY state that aren't being closed. There are art musuems & science museums in Syracuse.

Auburn has a Pro Bass Shop. (not sure if you are into that type of stuff)

Skaneateles is very pretty. There are boat rentals plus there is a really nice park at the end of the lake to just sit & relax. There is always a winery tour. There are several wine trails in the Finger Lakes region.

I live 30 minutes away to the west. We drive through on our way to somewhere else but I always enjoy the scenic drive through. We live near another finger lake (Cayuga lake) so Skaneateles isn't a big stop for us. We usually are going to the apple orchards in the fall or on our way to I-81 south. If you are interested. My home town is the birthplace of womens rights. There isn't a lot but its very educational. It is a national park. There is also a womens rights musuem.
    Just got back. Unless we win the lottery or some long lost rich relative leaves me a bunch of money we won't be back for 5 years.

Post Thanks / Like

I love Skanateles! I agree on going to Syracuse for the Chiefs baseball game. They have a nice stadium and many nights in the summer have fireworks (check out their web page I am sure it will have the dates)

I would also say to venture down to Ithaca...it is Gorges! (Their maketing slogan...it is gorgeous and they have many great gorges (and waterfalls) to hike. lots to do and see there. If you eat there....go to the Boat Yard on the water if you don't eat on the commons. The commons is a walking out door mall that use to be a road years ago. Cool local stores.

For restaurants in Skanateles....you have to try Rosalees or Rosalindas (just ask and they will tell you the name...it is really good Italian next to the Mirabou Spa). It is loud and expensive (for the area), but very good!

Also for more gourmet try Mirabou Spa. Incredibly good food where you can order ala carte, or I think you can get a choice of a 5 course or 8 course dinners (they also do wine pairing). We always do the 8 course (or however many it is) and are never disappointed. Usually the chef sends out little presents (small suprise courses that are great) Trust....it is not too much food, just REALLY good food. Wine is great too! This is also a very pricey place.

For more of a family, moderate meal try the restaurant (I think it is called the Waterfront?) but it is on the water next to the main park in downtown. You won't miss it.

Skanateles is so pretty. Have fun!!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Hi! I'm from Marcellus, your dad's home town! We love venturing in to Skaneateles, although I'd never say we're experts on the place. If you want some really good seafood in a very casual atmosphere, try Doug's Fish Fry... it's up one of the main side streets in the village. Also try the BlueWater Grill, on the main street (I think it's Genesee St.) by the pier.... it's got good food, some outdoor seating and an awesome ice-cream parlor for afterwards.

As far as day trips, you could head down to the wineries... there are so many within an hour or two, south of Skan. Very relaxing and quite fun!

Hope you have a great trip!!
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

So we just returned from the trip yesterday. Loved the area! I have to take asthma medicine and antihistamines in Atlanta all summer due to the smog. I didn't have to use them one day up north.

Spent a few days in Marcellus with the family visiting my dad's old stomping grounds. Visited the house he grew up in (next to the cemetary downtown by the mill) and even went to the catholic church he went to as a boy.

In skaneateles, found all the local bakeries and pastry shops. Found beer at the Sherwood Inn and ate a bunch at Doug's Fish Fry. The pasta garage place was also good. Didn't make it down to the other recommendations as we stayed in town.
    There is now a winery in skaneateles (Anyela's) which is good. Also went down to the big ones near Cayuga lake. Good stuff!

The last day, we drove all the way across the state and visited the Amish area. Made me envious of their lifestyle somewhat.

Lastly, saw the Lightening boat regatta on the lake which apparently happens every 10 years. Neat.

On the way out, did swing by Seneca Falls and toured the museum. It was well worth it.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: