Quantcast Please don't hate on me..

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Please don't hate on me..

So I am headed to the World in 9 days....WOOHOO!!!

But..about a week and half ago my clumsiness took over and I tripped in my garage. My whole foot swelled (all the way to the toes) and the ankle swelled to the size of a tennis ball. I finally went to the doctor and thankfully it is not broken but has 2 severly strained ligaments and achilles tendon.

The doctor said I should be fine for the World, but I am a little worried as it is very achy. Which brings me to this post....I have every intention of walking and really have a fairly high pain tolerance, BUT...if I have to I think I may rent an ECV for a day or so.

So...if you see a healthy looking brunette with a small very blonde 6 year old walking beside her, please be kind and do not poo poo on us...please...

Although I know I will get "the look" if I do decide to rent one....just wanted to put my plea in writing...

Thanks for listening!

DJ
    1978-offsite
    December 2003-POR
    June 2005-POFQ
    February 2006-Off site
    June 2006-POFQ
    March 2007-POFQ
    June 6-13, 2008- POFQ

Next: Christmas-New Year's Disneyland or World...not sure yet, but I will be at one!!!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck and maybe your foot will not be hurting so bad by the time you go...that way you will not have to rent an ECV and get the "look". If you are really injured, I do not think anyone would begrudge you the vehicle. I think people's biggest problem is those that bring a huge party with them. I have seen parties of up to 20 go with one person in an ECV. I try to not let it bother me and hopefully everyone else will do the same.
    DDuck66
    Disney Veteran

2000- Once
    2001- Twice
    2002- Three Times
    2003- Three times
    2004 Twice
    2005 Twice
    2006- October and Christmas
    2007- The year of the annual pass!!!
    2008- Concierge at the POLY!!!!
    2009- Birthdays in January and March!!!!
    2010- Lots of trips..Too many to count!!

Post Thanks / Like

I would not worry about "the looks" if I were you. I would be surprised if you got them at all. ECV's are meant for people who really need them and by the sounds of it you may really need one. I think people's negativity around ECV is about people who use them who really do not need them. On our last trip my MIL used an ECV for some days. She had knee surgery a few months before our trip and just couldn't take the pain on the long days. On the days that were more laid back we just took it slow with her. I didn't notice any-one giving her any bad looks at all. By all means if you need one I would not hesitate to get one. That is what they are for!
    Hope you have a magical trip.
    Past Disney Trips
    multiple times as a child all off site.
    CBR x2 as a teenager
    2004 Sept. -offsite first trip with DH and DD
    2006 May- POFQ -Grand Gatherings with the whole fam.
    2007 Dec- POFQ -with the inlaws
    2008 Dec -CSR
    2009 Sept- OKW
    2010 CSR

Post Thanks / Like

I am in the same boat.
    I had a major knee reconstuction last month and my husband and I are heading to WDW on Monday for three days.
    My surgeon really wants me to get a wheelchair or ECV. I am not quite sure I am going to but, I might not have much choice as I just got off crutches last week after 6 weeks and my leg is quite weak. My knee is still very swollen and stiff as well.
    So, I have been worried about the same looks! I hope your foot heals up quickly and you have a great trip!!
    DVC Members @ SSR
    19 Trips since 1996:
    Caribbean Beach Resort-2x's, Dixie Landings-2x, POFQ-2x's, POR-3x's All Star Movies-4x's, Pop-1x, Saratoga Springs-2x, BWV-1x, OKW-2x

Just got back: August 17th-22nd POR

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck! I wouldn't worry about other people. Go and have a great time!!! I wouldn't look at you funny unless you ran over my foot with your ECV then I might turn funny! LOL!!
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AuntDJ View Post

So...if you see a healthy looking brunette with a small very blonde 6 year old walking beside her, please be kind and do not poo poo on us...please...
    DJ
    Who would give you 'the look'? Not me, I would just be so glad to be there. ...and yes I am very jealous that you are there and I am not.

Do what is best for you. It would be a shame to go all that way and spend the money only to be sidelined because of pain. (You, too, Sean's Mom) Take care of youself and enjoy your family.

Salisbury, Md 14 hours, 21 minutes or 903.36 miles From Disney
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL i am going to be leaving in 9 days as well in the parks the 8th thru the 11th i am gonna look for ya just so I can give ya the look loljust kidding but i would love to meet some of the intercotees going and I hope you make out well with your ankle hun.
    ºoº Josette ºoº
    ~*~Next up~*~
    November 2015
    Surprise trip(Pop Century)

Just because I cannot see it, doesn't mean I can't believe it! -Jack Skellington

Post Thanks / Like

But..about a week and half ago my clumsiness took over and I tripped in my garage. My whole foot swelled (all the way to the toes) and the ankle swelled to the size of a tennis ball. I finally went to the doctor and thankfully it is not broken but has 2 severly strained ligaments and achilles tendon.

The doctor said I should be fine for the World, but I am a little worried as it is very achy. Which brings me to this post....I have every intention of walking and really have a fairly high pain tolerance, BUT...if I have to I think I may rent an ECV for a day or so.

Although I know I will get "the look" if I do decide to rent one....just wanted to put my plea in writing...

Thanks for listening!

DJ
    Since you say it is mostly in your ankle and foot I would also seriously consider getting a very good foot/ankle wrap/brace and wear it while you are on your feet. I had a similar situation about 10 years ago and it REALLY helped to have it tightly wrapped during the day. Yes, the wrap did get hot and itchy during the day but having the extra support was well worth the aggravation of wearing it!

Post Thanks / Like

Don't worry about any "looks", you know that you're doing the best you can, and that you need the ECV to be able to enjoy your Disney vacation.

We had Mom rent and ECV on our last trip, she had knee surgery a couple of months before our trip, and there was no way she could have managed...who cares about the looks, we had a great time.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I'll make you a deal. You pay for me to go to WDW with you and i will run screaming excitedly through the park like three year old ahead of you so that no one even noticies you.

(Why should this trip be any different right?)
    '76 offsite, '90 offsite, '03 Courtyard DTD, '04 offsite, '05 CBR, '05 POFQ solo, '06 Sports solo, '06 POFQ, '07 Pop, '09 offsite solo, '09 POFQ, '09 Music, '10 CS, '11 Pop, '12 Pop, '13 dolphin.

Post Thanks / Like

too bad ...Im hating on you! You cant stop me

BUT it has nothing to do with looking healthy in an ECV but rather that you get to go in 9 days!!!

I hope your foot magically feels better before your trip but if not...

Try to still have so much fun its crazy!
    '94-DVC OKW * '94-'96 OKW * '97 OKW, BWV * '98 OKW, DI * '99 OKW, FW * '00 OKW, VB * '01 OKW,Y&BC,BWV * '02 SSR * '03-'05 OKW*2006 BWV,AKL*'07 OKW * '08 AKV, SSR * '10 BLT * '11 BLT Next: 03/13 WL

Post Thanks / Like

Hope you have a great trip!!

Post Thanks / Like

It can be frustrating, but try to ignore any looks. DH has an "invisible" handicap and last time he needed one, too.

Also - the brace is a good idea- it might help you feel better, plus it makes your "problem" more visible.

Post Thanks / Like

THANKS for all your words of encouragement!

I agree about the wrap and already have it in the "packing" room. Actually the doctor gave me one to wear....

SeanRiley's Mom- I hope you have a great trip..knee surgery can be very taxing...get the ECV...you will be glad you did.

mdricks- I would love to pay for you to come with me....but....since I lost my job earlier this month, it is all I can do to pay for this trip!!!!

I know this can be a touchy subject so Thanks again for supporting me!

DJ
    1978-offsite
    December 2003-POR
    June 2005-POFQ
    February 2006-Off site
    June 2006-POFQ
    March 2007-POFQ
    June 6-13, 2008- POFQ

Next: Christmas-New Year's Disneyland or World...not sure yet, but I will be at one!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

You do whatever you need to and enjoy your vacation!! Don't worry about any looks. As long as you're not rolling over any toes, who cares about the grumpy people at WDW.
    "That’s the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up." ~Walt Disney

Disneyland 1987
    WDW 1992
    POFQ 6/25/01-7/1/01
    POP 6/26/06-7/1/06
    POP 8/4/08-8/9/08
    POR 8/5/09-8/12/09
    POR 10/27-10/31
    Next Trip- POR 6/23-6/28

Post Thanks / Like

The only people I give the look to are the ones who can't drive the things! If you need one, you need one, no biggie.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

After my last trip, I will tell you to rent the EVC if it makes you more comfortable. I am one of those people who hate to look handicapped because you can't see my handicap. I have had two large spinal surgeries and have all kinds of metal (rods, plates, pins, cages) down and in my vertibrae which makes it hurt to walk for a long way or time. But you can't see anything unless I wear a backless shirt and you can see my scars. I was determined not to give in to the pain and so I didn't rent an EVC. After that trip, which I didn't really enjoy Disney - I won't have a problem renting one this trip.
    dm2K
    1993 - BC/Cruise; 1996 - BC; 1998 - BC; 2000 - YC; 2002 - FQ; 2004 - Campground/BC; 2005 - POR; 2007 - BWI; 2008 - AKL; Christmas 2010 - BC; 2011 - All Star Sports; 2012 - AKL & WL; 2013 - DL and CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

THANKS for all your words of encouragement!

Oh NO....... You know I am going to be looking for you DJ......

Just so I can give you the look....

Hey I am going to be there So I can give you the look.......... Now I just hope I can find you to give you the look.....

In case I dont see you down there..... Let me give you one now..

BRET/TTFN
    DVC Member 7/04 Wilderness Lodge Villas 6-08 Saratoga Springs
    Next Trip 6-16
    Disney Cruise 6-16
    Disney World tons of times

Post Thanks / Like

Hope your foot feels better when your trip comes. Just relax and have fun at Disney!!!!!
    Say Hi to Sulley for me at Hollywood Studios......I'll be seeing him in November from the 24th thru December 5th.Hope all goes well with your vacation. Remember, you're at the happiest place on earth. So----------------------------be happy and enjoy yourself

Post Thanks / Like

Brett- you have me sooo by all of your looks....that I owe you a special Thanks as you have occupied my mind soooo well all the ankle pain is forgotten!!!!

I am just glad that you don't have to be "flat" for you anniversary trip!!!!

DJ
    1978-offsite
    December 2003-POR
    June 2005-POFQ
    February 2006-Off site
    June 2006-POFQ
    March 2007-POFQ
    June 6-13, 2008- POFQ

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: