Quantcast Im getting scared...Sci-Fi - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

My ds is dying to eat at the Sci-Fi on our upcoming trip also. I am in the same boat you are not knowing what to believe or not. I understand everyone has different opinions of where they like to eat, and the Sci-Fi seems to be a love it or hate it. I have decided that I can't risk losing a table service when I am so unsure. The compromise...I have promised we will stop in for milkshakes. This seemed to satisfy him, he gets to experience the whole eating in cars thing and I don't lose a table service and we all get to enjoy a nice break in the middle of the day. So far the milkshakes are one food everyone agrees on being good.
    Jeana

May 2002 ~ Wilderness Lodge ~ 1st trip to WDW

July 2006~ Wilderness Lodge

June 2009 ~ Wilderness Lodge!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Natazu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by *NikkiJ* View Post

Should I change from Sci-Fi to something else??
    Yes and no. The food doesn't live up to the amount of money they charge. That's pretty much it in a nutshell. Like John said, sitting in a car makes it difficult to converse and the little tables are, well, little.
    If you go for the atmosphere, that's fine, just don't expect great food.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    One of the things you have to remember is that the virtual world of the internet is just like the real world in that no person likes to be the odd person out. What I mean is that if I log into a thread and see that there are 15 negative comments about Sci-Fi and no positive then I am likely not to say anything for fear of looking like I don't know what I am talking about.
    S'ok Jasper, I'll take the heat. Everyone already knows I don't know what I'm talking about at least half the time.

Post Thanks / Like

GO! It is a really neat place. The food isn't as bad as everyone says. I don't know why it has such a bad rap. And the cars are fun.
    Just make sure to go to Crystal Palace or Chef Mickeys to get the family sitting around a table together feel. And you will be happy.

Post Thanks / Like

We have been there a few times and yes the food is not great but my kids love being in the car with the light up ice cubes in their cup and watching the cheesy movies on the screen. I think it is all in what you make of it...if you go thinking you may not like it...you won't..if you go thinking hey this is new and lets try to have fun and have a good experience.. you will...
    Deb
    2012 Jan ALSM
    2011 July POFQ
    2010 July POR
    2009-Oct 3 days POFQ
    2009-June POFQ
    2008-Aug OKW
    2007-June WL
    2007-Jan POFQ
    2006-July Polynesian
    2005-June OKW
    2004-July BCV
    2004-Jan off site
    2003-July FWC
    2003-Dec/Jan CS
    2002-June OKW
    2000-July POFQ
    1999-July OKW
    1998-July OKW
    Have a Disney Day!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by momof3+twins View Post
    GO! It is a really neat place. The food isn't as bad as everyone says. I don't know why it has such a bad rap. And the cars are fun.
    I totally agrew with this poster. My family and I ate lunch there this past Wednesday, and had no issues whatsoever. I do think that the menu is limited, but I've also never felt that the food was horrible and I LOVE the atmosphere.

ºOºprprincessºOº

WDW-75, 79, 89, 91, 98, 04: Offsite; 01: ASMs & CSR; 02: Dolphin; 03: GF & POR; 06: POFQ & BC; 08: WL; 09: CBR
    DL--97-98: AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

My best advice is try it once and if you don't like it you don't ever have to try it again. We've stayed cleared of some restaurants because of stuff we've read but, we've decided they only way to know for sure how it is is to give it a try. My sister-n-law tried it last yr and they loved it they also love 50's primetime and we hated 50's. We may even try SciFi this yr not sure yet.
    STEELER SUPERBOWL CHAMPS: 1974, 1975, 1978, 1979, 2005, and 2008 !

[SIZE="1"]1978 OFF SITE CAMPING
    JUNE 2004 POR
    JULY 2005 POR
    AUGUST 2006 POR
    JUNE - JULY 2007 POR
    DEC 2008- JAN 2009 POR
    JUNE 2009 POR
    JUNE 2010 POR
    JANUARY 2011 POP CENTURY
    APRIL 2011 Planning Stages

Post Thanks / Like

We've only eaten at the Sci-Fi for lunch, but we have always enjoyed our meal there (LOVE the onion rings). It continues to be a repeat ADR for our family. If you review the menu & can't find something for everyone, then skip it. Otherwise, give it a try! Just like all restaurant reviews on the boards, everyone has their own opinion of what is "good" and what is "lousy". The only way to determine where you fit is to try it!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

I was in the same position as you on our last trip. I had read so many negative posts that I was going to change our ressies. We hung on to it, though, and really glad we did! This is one of the two places the DH said I have to make ressies for again this trip (to the point he said he's not going unless we eat at SciFi!) My DH and kids are picky eaters and they ate so well. I loved the spinach and artichoke dip!

IMHO, I would at least try it. You never know, it could turn out to be a favorite!!
    Heather

WL- Aug. 2008
    AKL- July 2006
    Off site- Sept. 2002

Post Thanks / Like

Go.

The atmosphere is definately fun and unique. We went on our last trip and I probably wouldn't go back but am glad I've had the experience. This was the one meal I paid for OOP and I thought it was overly expensive for not only what we ordered but also for food that was only OK.

I always try to take negative feedback about something and just use it so I don't have overly high expectations and end up disappointed.

But I really feel you should still give everything a try.

8/11 CSR
    8/10 - Wilderness Lodge
    2009 CSR
    2009 Ft Wilderness Cabins
    2008 Polynesian
    2008 POR
    2007 CSR
    2007 OKW
    2006 CBR
    Many offsite trips...before kids

Post Thanks / Like

We went last trip and all 6 of us LOVED IT! The food was very tasty and they gave huge portions! The desserts themselves are worth going there!
    VMK: DaffyD
    Trips to WDW
    June 2001on my B-Day!Off Prop.
    August 2005 Off Prop.
    August 2006 ASMov.
    August 2008- Pop Century
    August 2009-ASMu
    April 2010-ASMu w/marching band
    Aug. 2011 ASMu
    Aug. 2012 Off Prop.
    Aug 2013 Off prop.
    Next:Aug 2014??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    ...I always say that if something interests you then you should give it a try...
    Absolutely! If you think it is going to neat and fun, go for it. Everyone should try something new and different sometime during their lives.

Except fish. yuck.
    Officially too many trips to list here!

Post Thanks / Like

my fiance and I ate here in September 07. If you are looking for a real nice dressy place this is not it. But if you are looking for a fun atmosphere then this is the place. Just remember that if you don't see something on the menu that you want you can always just order the burger even if its not on the menu. That is what I did when we went. It was good food. Really cool atmosphere. I will return again!
    Brandie

Past Trip:
    July 2002 offsite at Alan's Grandparents
    Sept 2007 stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter, Free Dining (Got Engaged)

Post Thanks / Like

I have always found the SCI FI a breath of fresh air restaurant wise ..It so unique ,not only in its seating but its atmosphere .... If you have a family and you want to chatter then yes sitting in the cars is not for you ..But from other posts they quite rightly say that you can have a table .

The food is average but its not awful however the milkshakes are to die for

Give it a go and make your own mind up i am sure the kids will love it

Post Thanks / Like

We love the SciFi and I think we even at there twice this past trip!

If you are concerned about the car-style seating, ASK FOR ONE OF THE REGULAR TABLES AT THE BACK!!!! This way you can still have a conversation if you are that concerned.
    Lea-Ann
    The Creative Mind that Never Rests . . .

Dreaming of Disney.......
    Last Trip - Dec 14-21, 2012 AKL!!! Next Trip - TBA!!!

Post Thanks / Like

no need to worry, go and have a great time with your family. me and dw have eaten at the Sci-Fi 3 times now and all 3 times it was really good, and our service was the best that we ever got at any WDW resturant. i'm not just saying this, because i'm the type of person that if i don't like what i'm eating i'll never go back a good example of that would be Mamma Melrose, we ate there and the food was soooo bad that we would never eat there again.

Victor
    95-97,99(dixie landings)
    06/06(asmo- mighty ducks)
    06/07(asmu - jazz inn)
    12/07(asmu - broadway)
    06/08(asmu - calypso)
    12/08(asmu - rock inn)
    09/09(asmu - broadway)
    03/10(boardwalk)free upgrade
    09/10-(asmu- rock inn)
    10/11-(asmu-country+7 day west carib cruise)
    3/12- (okw resort dvc)

Post Thanks / Like

We like the Sci Fi food and have no trouble with the seating.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

We went there a couple years ago, and it was fun. I had read alot of negative comments about the food, so we went in as a "hot part of the day" break for some shakes and sundaes. The ice cream was great, it was nice and cool inside, and our boys (then 8 & 11) LOVED sitting in the "old fashioned" cars watching the movies! The food that others were eating nearby (burgers, etc..) looked good, but we didn't eat lunch so I can't comment on the quality. Go for the fun of it!

Post Thanks / Like

You will have enough fun that you won't care what the food tastes like. I don't think the food is bad at all, kinda like a higher priced counter service restaurant with great theming! I have a family of five and have never had a problem with the seating.
    My first home is in Coastal Georgia, 30 feet from the saltwater marsh, and 3.5 hours from WDW!My second home is the Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort!CR,Poly,GF,BC,BW,WL,AKL,Dolphin,Swan,DL,CSR,POFQ,C BR,POP,AS,Vero.

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for the Sci-Fi. We love it!
    Former VMK nic : majolica
    Native Floridian.

Post Thanks / Like

I have always loved the Sci-Fi, and I have absolutely never had a bad meal there. I have eaten lunch and dinner at least once, sometimes twice, on every annual vacation for the last 10 years. It has always been wonderful.

Yes - it probably would be difficult to converse a lot. But when you really think about it - you will be on vacation ...together
    You will be conversing a great part of the day, anyway. It probably would not hurt to have one meal that you don't converse as much as usual.
    You might even find it unusually relaxing.

It is a "must-do" for every vacation for me.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: