Quantcast cell phone use rant

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default cell phone use rant

As pizzaria owners, we constantly have customers coming in the door on their cell phones, pointing to the slices they want (the women clicking their long manicured nails on the glass), I could just scream!) and me having to get their order and ring them up without them ever speaking a word to me! I find this extremely rude! Lately when someone is on their phone, I don't make a big effort to run to the counter to wait on them. I did tell one guy I didn't want to interupt his call! He gave me instant attitude!

I'd love to put a sign up about finishing their call before their transaction, but can't find the right words. Anyone have any suggestions?
    Shelley
    Do you believe in Magic?

Jan. 2001 - AS Music
    Nov. 2003 - AS Movies
    May 2004 - AS Movies
    Nov. 2005 - Pop Century
    Nov. 2007 - Pop Century
    Nov. 2010 - AS Sports
    Nov. 2013 - Caribbean Beach
    Jan. 2016 - Pop Century
    Nov. 2017 - AS Music/AK Lodge - Brand new DVC Members!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree 100% with you. I have been to 911 calls and the patient is on the cell phone not with my dispatcher. They have already hung up on the 911 dispatcher. If they are breathing and not bleeding or in real distress I just wait and write it down on my run report. They also want to use the cell phone while enroute to the hospital, while I'm trying to help them.
    I would not have a problem seeing a sign, that says you will not be served while on the cell phone.
    I also hate when you are on a ride like POTC and some one in the same boat is on the phone. Can you hear me? Yes I can hear you, I'm sitting right in front of you. Wait till you get of the ride.

Post Thanks / Like

"You have entered a 'no phone zone'. Thank you for hanging up."
    Former watcher of the original b&w Mouseketeers.

Honeymooned in WDW in '76. Devoted husband and WDW fanatic (in that order :-) ) since then.

Post Thanks / Like

How about: "NO CELL PHONES"

I have seen that sign millions of times on small businesses, and big restaurants and even on specific "quiet" train cars.

It's not offensive, this is 2008, people are used to that. AND ... next time you have someone with long nails clicking on your pizza display, ignore them. They will get the hint.
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Huh ... I guess maybe I'll take the opposite side of this ...

Whether you like it or not, cell phones have become an integral part of our lives. Yes, I know ... 30 years ago we didn't have them and we did just fine ... but guess what? We didn't have computers 30 years ago and we can't live without them today, either.

My job is very flexible and I tend to work from home at least one day a week ... sometimes more. It's great because I get to spend time with my kids and there are many, many times when I'll take them to the mall or to the park or out to eat during the day. But there are also times when I have to be on a conference call during that time and yes ... I walk around with my Bluetooth headset in. I would prefer not to have to do this, but I have no choice. It's my job.

So I guess maybe consider the situation. I'm sure some of the folks are engaged in frivolous conversations, but some may be on legit business calls. Some could be people like real estate agents or sales people that are on the phone almost constantly. Refusing to serve them might be a tad harsh.

Remember they are your customers. Do you really have so much business that you want to turn people away and lose them?
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on how big an issue you want to make it. This is your business. It relies on customers. Your customers rely on being able to grab and go, possibly while still conducting other business. I agree it's rude, but multitasking has become a way of life.

If you ran a sit-down business(maybe you do) and the customers on the phone bothered other customers, it would be worth making an issue of it. But is it worth alienating the customers who come in and do this? Decide that before putting up any signs. No matter how nicely you word it, or how cutely, there are people who will be put off by it. It may be more worth it to just be aggravated at rude people and rant to friends or coworkers to let off steam later. It depends on how much this is affecting your business and how much it affects you personally.

(oh my gosh, Ian- I didn't see your response until I posted mine! We agree. Wow. )
    Last edited by SBETigg; 04-29-2008 at 11:56 AM. Reason: to add note
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

We are talking about the 2 minutes it takes to order a slice. That "but it's MY JOB and it's important" attitude is what is frustrating. If it's SO important, surely getting in line and ordering food in a restaurant can't be more important than a business call?

I am on the phone or the internet ALL day at work, I get/respond to emails and field business calls from my PDA all day and night. I can however take 2 minutes from my busy schedule to order lunch without being so rude as to talk on my phone while I do it. But, then again, I do tend to respect the fact of human interaction, and that the person behind the counter is providing me a service, but they are not MY servant.

Please s

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

OMG!! The planets must be alligned, places are freezing over, it's a blue moon, the universe it out of whack..... but Ian, Sherry, and I are all in agreement on something. Mark this one down in the Intercot history books.

It is the development of technologies such as cell phones that allow a lot of people to have much more mobility while they are working. This mobility allows folks to be home with their kids families more while still working, allows them to be out at parks while still working, and also allows them to take care of personal stuff, including grabbing lunch, while still working. To restrict them from this activities would again tie them to their desk, and thus keep them at an office away from kids and family, away from parks, and away from doing personal stuff like grabbing lunch. Take the phone out of their hand, and your are potentially taking the customer away from your store.

Is it rude, perhaps? Or is it just annoying because it's not what we would do. Is it really a matter of being "wrong" aka rude, or more a matter of just being different.

Perhaps tolerance plays as much in this scenario as rudeness.

Just my opinion.
    Marker from MO

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NotaGeek View Post
    We are talking about the 2 minutes it takes to order a slice. That "but it's MY JOB and it's important" attitude is what is frustrating. If it's SO important, surely getting in line and ordering food in a restaurant can't be more important that an business call?

I am on the phone or the internet ALL day at work, I get/respond to emails and field business calls from my PDA all day and night. I can however take 2 minutes from my busy schedule to order lunch without being so rude as to talk on my phone while I do it. But, then again, I do tend to respect the fact of human interaction, and that the person behind the counter is providing me a service, but they are not MY servant.
    I completely agree with you, Michael. But the fact is when you run a business that depends on customers, you can't always expect them to see it your way and act accordingly. So even though it is extremely rude for people to stay on their phones and still expect service, people do this and those same people may resent being asked to get off their phones, which could result in lost business.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

The answer to the 2 minute question is ... not always ...

When I can, I certainly do. But sometimes I may have 2 solid hours worth of conference calls to be dialed in to over lunch time. I can't just hang up, order, and get back on.

Not everyone's job is the same. Some people could definitely defer making calls for the few minutes it takes to order a slice of pizza and some can't.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

As a small business owner that values every customer I say take the orders and don't turn away the business. I know their actions are rude but the customer is always right. If you offend just one customer that is at least one more you have to advertise to replace(most likely more if they bring in business with them in the future and they aren't talking bad about your policy) .
    '94 & '97 Off Site
    '98, '04 & '07 PO - Riverside
    '00 Polynesian I '01 Contemporary
    '02 Animal Kingdom Lodge I '03 All Star Movies
    '05, '08 & '09 Pop Century I '06 Wilderness Lodge

Next 9/18 PO - French Quarter

"Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." ~ Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

I work at an aquarium in the summer and we became so frustrated with people attempting to purchase tickets while on their cell phones someone made a small sign in front of the register that says, "We will be more than happy to assist you when you've finished your phone call." Surprisingly, it worked.

I can't blame you, its frustrating and demeaning to have someone chat away during a phone call and brush you off as if you should just know what they need.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

ºoº

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Not everyone's job is the same. Some people could definitely defer making calls for the few minutes it takes to order a slice of pizza and some can't.
    I guess you are correct. Some people are far more important than others.

Please s

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it matters whether you are on a business call or personal call, when you get in line to order anything or pay at the register by not speaking with the customer service person it is rude and impolite. IF and that is a big IF your call is that important then I think you should finish it outside or you could always tell the person you are on the phone with "excuse me, could you hold for one moment" then, turn your attention to the person waiting on you.
    How long does it take to say
    "excuse me, could you hold for a moment"
    then
    "hello, I'd like 2 slices of cheese pizza and a diet coke please."
    I just think there is soooo little common curtesy in the world right now and saying that you are tied to your phone and can't interact with the general public is a cop out IMO.
    I would not want to "risk" guessing what it is the customer is pointing at and getting it wrong, they might be too busy to talk with you but they wouldn't be too busy to sue you for poisoning them with the wrong order.
    Dolphin & POFQ 2010

POFQ 2008

ALL STAR MUSIC August 2007

POP August 2006

Coronado Springs 2005

DCL trip December 2005

WDW DOLPHIN July 2004

WDW DOLPHIN JUNE 2002

WDW DOLPHIN March 1998

WDW OFF PROPERTY March 1994

DL Honeymoon 1987

Post Thanks / Like

My job is very flexible and I tend to work from home at least one day a week ... sometimes more. It's great because I get to spend time with my kids and there are many, many times when I'll take them to the mall or to the park or out to eat during the day. But there are also times when I have to be on a conference call during that time and yes ... I walk around with my Bluetooth headset in. I would prefer not to have to do this, but I have no choice. It's my job.
    So if you are on a 2 hour conference call while taking your kids to the mall do you not speak to your children for the entire 2 hour period?

It is rude to be on your phone while trying to communicate with someone else, no two ways about it. I like crazypoohbear's solution. Just say excuse me and take your phone away from your ear for 10 seconds so that you can order your lunch. No one's job is that important.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by NotaGeek View Post
    I guess you are correct. Some people are far more important than others.
    Why do you equate being on the phone with being important? I never said I was important. I said the calls were important.

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Doll View Post
    So if you are on a 2 hour conference call while taking your kids to the mall do you not speak to your children for the entire 2 hour period?
    Well first off, I wouldn't be out with my kids necessarily for the entire 2 hours. But when I am out with them, no. I speak to them. Often my conference calls don't require me to contribute much ... mostly just listen in and be available. In fact, my phone is often on mute, so when I order food I don't have to point and gesture (which I agree is rude). I just order normally. The people behind the counter most likely don't even realize I'm on a call.

I'll be quite honest. The whole "cell phones are rude" thing is totally lost on me. If I walk up to the counter chatting with my wife while I order, is that rude? If not, then why is the phone different?

Anyway, if your business doesn't want to serve me when I'm on the phone, that's totally fine by me. There are 100 other pizzerias around that will. It's your business ... you decide who you will and will not serve (that's capitalism at work). I was just offering a different viewpoint that seems to be largely unappreciated by most folks, so I'll bow out now.

I have a conference call to join anyway.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Let me put a different spin on it.

I work in a business which lives by the conference call. Work gets out every Friday at 1:30 pm, but I often have a call that goes past 2pm. What do I do? I get out the headset, and drive home while on the call. It sure beats sitting under flourescent lights for another hour.

Yes, I've stopped to order food from a drive-through before WHILE on the phone. I have a mute button and know how and when to use it. I mute the call so nobody hears me order, and if someone asks me a direct question, I unmute for a second say "excuse me one moment." I find it's an excellent compromise. I have never yet missed an important topic. Most of my team understands - we're all in the same boat.

Sure the phone calls may be seen as optional. But so is keeping my job.
    Next trip DLR in February 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be quite honest. The whole "cell phones are rude" thing is totally lost on me. If I walk up to the counter chatting with my wife while I order, is that rude?
    Yes, it is. If you continue to talk to your wife, or anyone, while you order and do so by gesturing to what you want, that is rude. You (general you, not you specifically) can take a moment from just about any conversation by saying "excuse me for just a moment please" and give the person you are ordering from your attention for the approximately 30 seconds it would take to order, then go back to your conversation. That's my opinion on it, and by the looks of it, crazypoohbear's opinion also. Didn't mean to single you out Ian, but you posed a question that I think puts it in perspective.
    It's all about common courtesy, with or without a cell phone. Give the person you're talking to your attention for that moment in time. That's where I stand on the issue.

DisneyAddict, Ian is absolutely right later in his post. It is your business and you have the right to refuse service. It's a choice for you to make. Freedom, what makes this country great! If you'd like an idea for a sign: "In order to better serve you, please finish phone conversations before approaching the counter. Thank you."
    Scott
    2 visits as a child
    6/97, 6/01, 6/04: All-Star Sports
    12/05, 6/08: Pop Century
    May-June/10: Animal Kingdom Lodge
    5/11: All-Star Sports 1 night Epcot Flower & Garden
    May 2013 POFQ (25th anniversary!)

Post Thanks / Like

I'll put even a different spin on this. I work in a public library. We are (traditionally) supposed to be a quiet environment. Except now we have cell phone ringers going off constantly. Everything from the generic ringer, to the occasional rock ballad. Then, people answer the phone and have loud, drawn out conversations. People are here trying to study.

I definitely think there is an etiquette to using a cell phone. I think it's fine to use a phone walking through a mall. I think it's rude to be on the phone when someone in a store/restaurant is helping you. If I happen to receive a phone call when someone is helping me, I always apologize or ask the caller to hold on for a minute. It is rude to gesture. I won't allow my 5 year old to point to something at the kitchen table and expect to receive it. I make him ask for it politely. I expect the same from adults.

As a librarian, I consider myself to be an expert in customer service. I also believe in the golden rule. Therefore, I always treat sales people the way I would want to be treated by my library patrons.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Sounds to me like a topic that will never reach a consensus. One person's "extremely rude" is another person's "I don't get it". There is no definitive definition.

Presuming the necessity of someone's phone call is in my mind reckless. There's no way we can really know the necessity, intent, or reason behind someone else's phone call.

I certainly wouldn't dare say that no phone call, or job is "that important". If I were in that situation, where my job depended on me being on the phone at that particular time, I'd choose to keep my job over saying "Hi" while ordering pizza.

Common Sense or Common Courtesy, they don't exist. To say they are rare, means they are not "common".

I also don't think it's really fair to say NO job, NO person, NO phone call is that important. Wouldn't the flip side to that be that I'm more important and any Job, Person, or phone call you may be making?

For me, I'll go back to the tolerance. Of things in the world to consider a problem, this would be rather low on my list.

But that's just my opinion, and it's likely wrong.
    Marker from MO

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: