Quantcast Pulling the kids out of school - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

My MIL is a teacher and doesn't think we should take our kids out of school for vacation, but we do it anyway.
    Our school also says they can't have more than 5 unexcused absences. MIL says the school gets more money for better attendance, hence the pressure. Our high school is now letting their students skip finals if they don't miss more than four days the whole year, no excuses.

Our kids don't have excessive absences. They're out when they're sick or if we take a few days for Disney. That's it. I feel like the schools are getting a little too personally involved with my family's business when I have to worry about a family vacation. They need to focus more on neglect and excessive absences than on loving families who want to spend time together.

Another teacher in our school system stated at prayer meeting that the strict attendance policy is just making kids go to school sick. She had had a student just that week with 104 temperature. The student said school was almost over, and she would be fine. We had so much sickness at our middle school this year, there were over 150 kids out one week. It's a very small school, by the way. The community wanted them to close the school for a couple of days just to sanitize it, but nothing was done.

Sorry, but this is a sore point for me. MIL lives next door. We told her that we were going to Disney again in September when she asked. She asked what about school. I said we're gonna blow all five unexcused absences right off the bat. She just kind of persed her lips, and we moved on to something else.
    BLT Owners as of 11/09!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We aren't going during free dining but we are pulling our kids out in the beginning of December for 7 days (an extra day before Thanksgiving & the Monday after we leave possibly incase we run into bad weather & takes us longer to drive home). DD will be in 4th grade & ds#1 will be in kindergarten. We want to do the Christmas decorations without the Christmas crowd. We don't plan on making this a regular habit but if we weren't already going then I would seriously consider taking them out for the free dining plan. Our schools don't start until September.

Now is the time to do it. Before they get into highschool & have way too much work they would have to make up. However I know people that take their kids out no matter what just for vacation.

Have fun!!!!!
    Just got back. Unless we win the lottery or some long lost rich relative leaves me a bunch of money we won't be back for 5 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HndrdPrcnt View Post
    We are planning on doing the same this year if we can financially make it happen. You see, after returning from our last trip, I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and I was given only 6 months to live. Praise God, I had the right doctors put in my path and it looks like we have beat the cancer. However, I learned one thing, you MUST treasure every single day because you don't know when your last day on this earth may be!! With that, we are going to try to get back to WDW as often as possible and enjoy our children and enjoy our family time together!!
    Praise God, indeed HndrdPrcn. Glad to read about your victory, and agree 100% about taking kids out of school for a family vacation. It will mean so much more to your family than those 5 days of school. Plus, if you inform the teacher ahead of time, he/she will give you the assignments your child would be doing in school. We did this with our son, and he came back to school ahead of the rest of the class because they got bogged down with fire drills and other distractions.

Don't lose a minute's sleep about your child missing school for a wonderful family experience.
    I'm especially good at expectorating. Ptooo!
    Gaston

Beauty and the Beast

Gottaluvgoof Guest

I pull mine out every year for the free dining. I have one in high school and two in grade school. I think there is more to life than school. These kids will remember the trips for the rest of their lives. They have plenty of time to go to school. I tell the teachers before we go. They have all been very good about it and tell the kids to have a great time. Life is too short. You never know what may happen tomorrow. I want to enjoy my kids while I have the opportunity. The schools give the kids days off for selling tickets for fund raisers. If they can give them days off for fund raising, I can give them days off for Disney!

Post Thanks / Like

Deciding to take your kids out of school for vacation is a personal choice, do what is best for your family and don't worry about the naysayers!
    We have taken our daugther out of school for the last 2 Disney trips. First time she was in 1st grade and this last time in 3rd grade and we will be doing it again this December in 4th grade!
    We let the school know that we were going to be gone for the time and told them that she would complete any necessary work.
    Before the last trip, we were in the fabric store getting fabric for our MNSSHP costumes and the sales clerk asked what is was for. I told her that we were leaving that weekend for Disney. There was a lady in line behind us that was apparently a teacher and she said "You are taking her out of school?" I told her that yes, she was going to miss a week and she said "Oh, well the ones who miss for vacations are normally the ones that don't suffer from missing anyway". It was interesting, I was prepared to be insulted but she gave us a backhanded compliment...I guess.

Anways, go and have fun! I totally agree that the memories will last far longer than any backlash from missing a few days!
    Liz
    March 2006-POP!
    September 2007-POP!

Post Thanks / Like

My son struggles in school. He is in 4th grade. He has to work very very hard to get A's & B's and to do well.

We have taken him out of school for 10 days (7 school days) every October every since grade K. IMO missing 7 days of school doesn't make a difference either way. He is the same student and he does the work on the weekend before we leave because I refuse to take any of his work with us on vacation. I think having a little break in Oct lifts his spirits. I know it doesn't do any harm.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

As a former elementary school teacher, I say "Go for it!" I pulled my kindergartner out last year after three weeks to take advantage of the dining plan as well. The memories we made were worth it. If your kids aren't struggling in school, and they are not frequently absent, I wouldn't even think twice about it!

HAVE FUN!
    Mickey Mom of 2
    Coming Up: All-Star Sports 11/08
    Coming Up: CSR 3/09
    All-Star Sports 9/07
    Disneyland 10/06
    WDW Dolphin 7/04
    Off - Site 3/98
    Off - Site 6/93
    Off - Site 4/91
    Off - Site 3/83

Post Thanks / Like

We did that in Sept 2005. Our kids were in school for 2 weeks then missed 7 days for our Disney trip. It was a great time of the year to travel and the teachers were okay with it. We did it again 2006 only this time it was Dec and they missed 5 days. The teachers weren't so understanding this time - they gave us a bit of a harder time with the homework. I thought we wouldn't be able to do it anymore once our DD reached 7th grade but her teachers at this level seem more laid back than some of the elementary teachers. Personally, I didn't like pulling the kids out of school if I don't have to - I found it nerve-wracking to worry about the homework and what they were missing in school but that's not to say I wouldn't do it again. In fact, if things work out, DD13 is supposed to go to Disney with the band next Mar or Apr and we will be pulling our younger DD out of school for us all to go.
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

IN our school system, missing school for vacation with family counts as an UNexcused absence, no matter how educational the trip may be. (I argued this point with an administrator about a trip to Washington DC, and while he agreed that the trip would be very educational, it does not qualify as an excused absence). This is not a big problem unless the child has a lot of other unexecused absences EXCEPT that students in our system are only allowed to take make-up exams for EXCUSED absences. Nor are they allowed to take the exams in advance. (Only for a pre-scheduled excused absence, like Dr.'s appointments or surgery).
    WE took out our 7th grader one day early for fall break for a trip to WDW and he missed an end of term test , which his teacher had told us (in error) that he could make up when he got back. Well he took the test, but administration refuse to allow it to count toward his grade. The ZERO he took on that exam lowered his grade in that class for the entire year from an A to a B, and I was okay with that, since it was our decision to pull him out that day. But my son was furious with us for causing him to lose his perfect 4.0 GPA . This was in middle school mind you, not high school, but he was still angry because he works so hard to keep an A average in every class.
    Just make sure you check about missed exams before you pull out a child from middle or high school. We won't do that again, unless there will be no exams missed.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jodijo View Post
    I am a teacher and I pull my own kids out for vacations to WDW. I think family time is important.

However, if you are concerned, ask the school if you can do an independent study contract. Basically the teachers sends the weeks work with you on vacation. If it is all complete, the child & school get attendance credit. I did this last year for both of my kids. It worked well. Everyday we had downtime in the afternoon and they did an hour of homework.

Have a wonderful trip!
    This is what I did last year with my DD17 (then 16 & a sophmore). She had 3 AP classes that semester so we got all her work to go from her teachers... All 6 classes. It was alot of work for her to stay focused on while on vacay but she managed to get her stuff done (mostly in the drives to and from WDW). This year, with 4 AP classes and a reporter on their highly prestiged newspaper (its a hard job to get & keep) each semester I would avoid it as its just too much work to do AND see WDW. Not to mention its kind of hard to be lost in the magic when youre trying to figure out AP chem problems and you HATE AP chem!! LOL BUT we also have the luxury of going every year if not two or 3 times. We are beach ppl so the heat is nothing to us in July. Thats when her and I take her annual trip now ('07, '08 & prolly '09).
    '94-DVC OKW * '94-'96 OKW * '97 OKW, BWV * '98 OKW, DI * '99 OKW, FW * '00 OKW, VB * '01 OKW,Y&BC,BWV * '02 SSR * '03-'05 OKW*2006 BWV,AKL*'07 OKW * '08 AKV, SSR * '10 BLT * '11 BLT Next: 03/13 WL

Post Thanks / Like

My parents took us out of school many years while I was growing up to go to Florida and Disney for two weeks. I know school is more high pressure than it used to be -- but I almost feel that the kids need a break more! When I was younger I have NO recollection of making up work, of what I missed, of teachers caring. (although I'm sure that all happened). I remember being with my family and creating memories that have lasted until now - when I am pulling my DD (kindergarten) out of school this coming year! I will NEVER forget being with my parents and sister and having that close family time. I don't think we did it so much in high school because of activities and lots and lots of work so all the more reason to pull them out now! And, just for the record, my grades never suffered and I consider myself a more complete person for having spent the time with my family You just can't get that back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HndrdPrcnt View Post
    You see, after returning from our last trip, I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and I was given only 6 months to live. Praise God, I had the right doctors put in my path and it looks like we have beat the cancer. However, I learned one thing, you MUST treasure every single day because you don't know when your last day on this earth may be!!
    You have said it all! And Praise God again for you!
    My kids are now a sophmore in college and a high school senior. We took them out of school for several days many years for Disney trips. Granted they are good students and rarely sick. But those memories are some of our fondest of all! In fact we are going once again this spring to all be kids together again!
    Sainter
    Oct97 AS Sports/Trop Palms
    Oct00 AS Sports/4 Pts Sheraton
    Oct01 Condo Nov02 POR/Calypso Cay
    Oct 03 POR Nov04 Pop
    Oct05, Mar07, June08 POR
    Mar09 AS Sports, Sept09 POR
    Mar11 Pop/CSR, Jan12 AS Sports
    Oct12 POR/CB, Oct14 OKW
    Sep15POFQ, Oct16 Pop/POR
    Sep17 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

I pulled my son out of school for a week in 2006 and plan to again this November, this is the only way we could travel to Disney. My DH is a fireman/emt and he does not have seniority at his firehouse so he would not be able to have the time around spring break, christmas break etc for us to take this kind of trip. I did in the past ask the teacher for work about 2 weeks in advance, and I plan to do the same this time. I ask this far in advance so the work can be mostly completed before we go. One person at my sons school had a problem with my decision last time and I explained that we had made a family decision to take this trip. I will handle it the same way this time if any problems arise, I am not asking for their agreement or approval, this is what we are doing, but I really don't expect a problem, lots of people have been doing it, so long as the work gets done and the kids keep up isn't that the important thing.
    2011 Oct 29- Nov 5 MNSSHP
    2010 Nov 5-13 POFQ MVMCP
    2008 Nov 8-15 POFQ MVMCP
    2006 POFQ
    2000 Poly Honeymoon
    1987 Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

We are leaving Sat. and pulling both our kids out for next week. They are in 1st and 3rd. Both have straight A's and have not missed one day of school this year. I think maybe next year might be our last. Don't want them to fall behind as they get older. But we love it they love it and it's time we will always remember!
    Poly 2004-2009 LVC
    WL Villas May 2007
    DC Wonder 2010/Poly GVC
    DC Dream 2011/Poly LVC
    Poly LVC 2012
    Contemporary Dec. 2012
    July 2013 Poly GVC
    Poly GVC 2014
    Poly Club April 2015
    AKL Royal Asante Suite 2015
    October Poly Club 2015
    Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf Club April 2016
    Poly Club Dec 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by onjbj View Post
    As a teacher, I must chime in!! I think that you have to do whatever you feel is right- this differs from family to family.

1.) I think taking the kids out for a family vacation is fine as long as the kids have good attendance throughout the year.

2.) But, I also don't think it's right to ask the teacher for the week's worth of work before you go. I cannot tell you how many times I have gotten work together for kids at their parents request and the work does not get done. Let's be real.... who is doing any quality schoolwork at WDW? I prefer that kids keep a little journal telling me what they do each day of their vacation, draw picture- depending on the age.

JMHO!!!
    Another teacher here...I mostly agree with you, but I don't mind being asked for the work. This just happened today, and I look at it as the parent making an effort to show that they do place a value on the child making up his work. I love your journal idea, and think I will use this! I bet he'll be shocked if he turns a corner and sees me at the Magic, but it could happen.....
    91 Co
    8 M
    00,1,2 S
    3 CB 25
    4 P,Mu,AKL
    5 S
    6 Pp,CB,G 30
    7 S/D,CB
    8 CB,G 30
    9 Mu,CBP/Or,P
    10 CBP,P
    11 Mu,Do/Ret,P
    12 Mu,CB,AA AK
    13 P 35
    14 P,CB,Mu
    15 P,FQ,C,M,S

Post Thanks / Like

I pulled our daughter 3 times in her elementary school years. Our school has a policy about vacationing and how many days per year/per school level you are allowed. The past 2 years we have opted for summer travel, but I don't know if it will be like that forever. I prefer cooler months, but it is what we could do right now. As long as your children are not struggling in school, I think it is a great experience for your kids.

Don't fret about it and have a great time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
    º0º Monica º0º

Resorts visited to date: *CR * ASSp * CBR * Poly * POFQ * AKL * POR *

Most recent trip: Aug '08 - Disney Cruise Line and Poly!!

Year off and then Off-Site Timeshare and WL July 2010!

"It all started with a mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

I work in a public school. If your children are working at grade level and making friends, why not. If they are struggling I would think twice. It is more difficult the older the kids get to make up the missed work.

That said - my DD (16) has missed almost 16 days of school since September for different orthognathic procedures. (surgically repositioning the jaws) That is quite a lot. She is taking several AP and honors classes. Even with missing so much school she has a 3.98 GPA.

Sorry about the long story. The point is you know your child best. Family time is precious and can never be replaced.

Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mdhiggin View Post
    My MIL is a teacher and doesn't think we should take our kids out of school for vacation, but we do it anyway.
    Our school also says they can't have more than 5 unexcused absences. MIL says the school gets more money for better attendance, hence the pressure. Our high school is now letting their students skip finals if they don't miss more than four days the whole year, no excuses.

Our kids don't have excessive absences. They're out when they're sick or if we take a few days for Disney. That's it. I feel like the schools are getting a little too personally involved with my family's business when I have to worry about a family vacation. They need to focus more on neglect and excessive absences than on loving families who want to spend time together.

Another teacher in our school system stated at prayer meeting that the strict attendance policy is just making kids go to school sick. She had had a student just that week with 104 temperature. The student said school was almost over, and she would be fine. We had so much sickness at our middle school this year, there were over 150 kids out one week. It's a very small school, by the way. The community wanted them to close the school for a couple of days just to sanitize it, but nothing was done.

Sorry, but this is a sore point for me. MIL lives next door. We told her that we were going to Disney again in September when she asked. She asked what about school. I said we're gonna blow all five unexcused absences right off the bat. She just kind of persed her lips, and we moved on to something else.
    I totally agree with you about schools becoming too involved with our personal life. This is one of the reasons we have been home schooling. We are going to have to deal with attendance for the first time in a long while this year when DS enters High School. If DS misses more than 6 days without a doctors excuse, he gets to go to Saturday school and sit in a detention hall doing absolutely nothing all morning to make up his attendance. Now where do you think he will learn more? EPCOT or Saturday school?
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

I've got to chime in too. I'm rather tired of schools telling me what I can and can't do with my own child. My DS is straight A's and almost PERFECT attendance save for perhaps 1 or 2 days max for illness.

Alas...the problem is there are a number of parents out there that...er...uhm...well...let's just say they DON'T care much about their child's well being and it shows. Unfortunately the system punishes all of us.

My DS will be in 7th next year...and for the first time I too am going to break the rules and take him out for 2 1/2 days because I want to see Disney at Halloween (well it'll actually be around Columbus day). If this works out we might try Universal the following year for the really scarey stuff.
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer that kids who miss school for a family trip keep a journal while they are away b/c I feel like they are more likely to actually do it. They can catch up on important work when they come back, a little at a time. As most posters have stated, the kids who miss school due to family vacations are generally the ones who don't have to worry about keeping up- and even if they are struggling, their parents are generally involved and will work to catch them up. I think family time, esp in this day, is just as important as school time!
    The school I work in has an attendance policy too, but nothing actually happens at the elementary level if they exceed their unexcused absences- esp if they are with family. It's more of a policy to- prevent/follow up on excessive absences b/c parents can't be bothered to send their kids to school- sadly.
    As a teacher, I took 2 "unexcused" days last year to visit the world with my DH and 3 yr old twins, so I'm no better than any parent out there doing the same thing!!
    Karin

February 1989 day trip
    July 1991 day trip
    CBR July 2006
    Rental House off Property July 2007
    POR Sept 2007 (free dining!!)
    POR August 2008 (free dining!!)
    Rental House off Property August 2009
    POR August 2010 (free dining!!)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: