Quantcast Son's Birthday Trip April 11 & 12

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Son's Birthday Trip April 11 & 12

Trip Report April 11th -16th
    The Travelers
    Me
    Wife
    Son (turns 5 this coming week, also diagnosed with mild autism)
    My Mother
    My Father

April 11th
    We left the house at 6:00am for the 320 mile ride down to the Happiest Place on Earth. We had planned to arrive in the early afternoon at Pop Century, which was our hotel for the first night only. After the first night we stayed at the Shades of Green (SOG) resort, since my dad is retired military.
    The trip down went by just fine and we arrived at Pop around 12:45. We decided that the guys (my dad, my son, and myself) would hit the pool, since we knew my son really needed to burn off some stored up energy from the trip and the ladies would go get some lunch and look around the store and resort. After about an hour at the pools we decided to convince my son it was lunch time and we needed to return to the room. After we cleaned up and got lunch we decided to go visit Downtown Disney for a little while.
    It was fun, my son loved to ride the small train at Downtown Disney and compared it to Thomas the Train. We had planned to have POP transfer our luggage to SOG the next day. When we made reservations they told us they could not do this since SOG was military and technically not a Disney resort. We called the luggage assistance at POP that night and they assured us it would not be a problem whatsoever.

April 12th
    That morning we decided to move our own luggage, so we called and canceled the service and loaded up and drove to SOG about 8:30 or so. Our rooms were not ready yet so we dropped off all our luggage and, parked and headed over to the MK. As soon as we got there we stopped by Guest Relations to get a GAC card to help with our son. He has come a very long way since being diagnosed. [SideNote: Out son gets over 32 hours a week of great therapy and has made great progress, this trip was an early birthday present for him. He can handle waiting pretty good, but the biggest problem is that when he is in line and so many different people are having different conversations around him, he tends to lose focus on talking to us and it causes him to become over-stimulated and he gets very upset and demands to get out of line. We figured after all his hard work, he needed a vacation where he would not get so upset so often and the GAC card really helped cut the line time for us (or in some cases provided us an alternate location to wait with less people and noise).] Our son wanted us to head straight to the Peter Pan ride. On our way to Peter Pan, after we rounded the castle there was the Fairy Godmother from Cinderella. Our son was so excited (see below), he kept telling her “Bippity Boppity Boo”. So after Peter Pan and a few other Fantasyland rides we headed out to see Cinderella. Before our trip we had a lot of family movie nights and watched different Disney movies together, and he really liked Cinderella movie and it was cute we asked him you his girlfriend is and he would say “Cinderella” and smile so big. So we promised him he would get to meet her on this trip. When we go to the room with the princesses, it was right before their break and so we were the last ones on the room. While waiting for the other guests in front of us, my wife was talking to the CM in the room and I was entertaining our son. She told him about his autism and right before he go to talk to Cinderella, the CM whispered to Cinderella about him and she was so wonderful, taking time to talk to him and being patient while he fidgeted so much as we were trying to get pictures, it was a wonderful moment. I know my son really enjoyed it. When he walked to the next princess Belle, she gave him a kiss on the cheek and Cinderella saw this and exclaimed “But, I thought I was your girlfriend!” So she rushed over to give him a kiss on the cheek by this time Princess Aurora was waiting on him and got in on the act too and came over to Belle’s area and made a fuss over him. I tell you I think my son smiled for the next hour or so after we left and every time we mentioned the princesses over the rest of the trip he would break out in a big grin. The rest of the day was spent at MK, where we rode the following (some more than once): Peter Pan, Goofy’s Barnstormer, It’s a Small World, Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin, Tomorrowland Transit Authority, Pirates of the Caribbean, Dumbo, Jungle Cruise, The Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. We did take a break mid-day and headed back to SOG where our rooms were ready, but the staff misplaced my dad’s bathroom bag, with his shaving kit, toothbrush and medicines. They never found it the entire time we were there. But that is the only downside to the whole trip.
    °O° Von Drake °O°
    10 trips before 2000 | 2001 Offsite | 2001 SOG | 2002 CR | 2005 ASSp & SOG | 2006 OffSite | 2006 Disneyland | 2007 POP | 2008 POP & SOG

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm SO glad that your son had a great time with the princesses! They always do such a great job with children and really make each and every one feel special.
    -Stacey

"There is a natural hootchy-kootchy motion to a goldfish.”

"To all who come to this happy place, welcome." -Walter Elias Disney

Post Thanks / Like

That is so awesome! I am glad you son had fun with the Princesses... I think they are the BEST as far as interaction... they took so much time with My 2 dd's when we were there last time... they even sang princess songs with them it was sooo cute!!

So glad you had a great time and sorry they lost dad's bag.. hope it wasn't to inconvenient!

~Cheryl~

2x's as a child, 2003 - Music, 2005 - Pop, 2007 - Music (Sept.), 2007- Movies (SSW), 2008-Movies, 2008 - Movies (Nov), 2009 - Movies (June)

2010- March - not booked but going for youngests 7th birthday!!

Post Thanks / Like

Other than the lost bag, you've had a wonderful start to your trip! Sounds like your son has a royal fan club!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

It sure sounds like you had a great start to your trip. Sorry about the missing bag.

Thanks for sharing.
    Kristen and Ben
    Next - 8/7-15 @ OKW w/Kakn7294 & Taylor & Joline; 12/16 Disney Wonder&12/19 SSR; July '10 @ VWL w/Kakn7294 - Nursing School Graduation Party ; Aug '11 Disney Dream; F&WF '11
    DVC Owners @ SSR & AKV & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

What a heartwarming story about DS and the princesses - it sounds like the magic is surely with you this trip!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

WOW! I had tears in my eyes *of joy* reading your report! That is just so awesome and I am so happy for your son! What a great day you all had! Thanks for sharing!!
    M°o°nica

Prepare to Shake..Rattle & Roll!
    Freeway Construction Ahead Take Atl. Route.Traffic Jammed.Drive Safely Detour Ahead..get ready to ROCK! All lanes open.SO FLOOR IT! Car Pool lanes open..WIDE OPEN - RnRC

Next Up: Oct 28 - Nov 7th!

N' Awlin's girl born & raised

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Thanks for the report!
    ºoº David, Lisa, Aaron and Allison
    98-PO
    00-CB & ASMo
    01-Swan
    02-CS
    03-POR
    04-POP
    05-PO / CR
    07-PO / CR
    08-ASMu
    09-AKL
    10-CR, CS & PP DL
    11-NB DLP & SSR
    12-BLT & BLT
    13-GC DL & BLT
    15-Aulani & BLT
    16-ASMu & GC DL
    17-BWI, THV, CSR, BLT
    18-BLT, OKW, OKW, CBR, GF & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

It sure sounds like your DS had a wonderful day at the MK. Thanks for sharing.
    '94 & '97 Off Site
    '98, '04 & '07 PO - Riverside
    '00 Polynesian I '01 Contemporary
    '02 Animal Kingdom Lodge I '03 All Star Movies
    '05, '08 & '09 Pop Century I '06 Wilderness Lodge

Next 9/18 PO - French Quarter

"Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." ~ Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Cute story about your son and the princess'.
    1973,1978 (2x) Off Site
    1980 CONTEMPORARY
    1981 POLY
    1983 OFFSIGHT
    1990 POLY
    2000 POLY
    2001 BOARDWALK
    2002 WL
    2003 GROSVENOR DTD
    2003 WL
    2004 POFQ
    2005 POP
    2006 POP
    2007 WL
    2008 Polynesian
    2009 POFQ
    2010 AKL
    2011 AKL
    2012 CBR
    2013 CBR March & December

Post Thanks / Like

So glad that the princesses were able to make your son feel so special. They went over the top for him, that's for sure! Do you have lots of pictures of his fan club? Congrats to your sons for making such great strides in his illness!
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

I LOVED reading about your son and the Princesses! Thanks for sharing that with us.
    "That’s the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up." ~Walt Disney

Disneyland 1987
    WDW 1992
    POFQ 6/25/01-7/1/01
    POP 6/26/06-7/1/06
    POP 8/4/08-8/9/08
    POR 8/5/09-8/12/09
    POR 10/27-10/31
    Next Trip- POR 6/23-6/28

Post Thanks / Like

Wow!! That was a great time for your son! That is something he can boast about for the rest of his life (I know that I would)!!
    John (aka HndrdPrcnt)

DL CM 1987 - 1994
    CM WDW Trips 87,89,90,92
    CBR 1994
    Beach Club 1998
    All Stars 2000
    POP Sept 25-Oct 2 2006

Post Thanks / Like

That is such a great story about your son and all his princess girlfriends! What a special experience for him. I can just imagine how all you adults must have been beaming while watching it all unfold. Thanks for sharing.
    Donna
    Intercot Staff

My father's name was Ferdinand, my mama's name was Liza, they didn't know what to call me so they called me Ferdiliza!
    Billy Hill and the Hillbillies - "I'm OK!"

Please support INTERCOT'S wonderful sponsers!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great day. Sounds like the princess made his day.
    ~Beth~
    1st trip Nov. 24, 2006-ASmovies (4nights)
    Nov. 25, 2007-ASMovies (6 nights)
    Sept. 6, 2008-ASMovies (6 nights)
    Nov. 28, 2009 ASMovies (7nights)
    Nov 28, 2015 AOA (7 nights)
    December 10, 2016 AKL/Pop (7nights)
    Nov. 25, 2017 AsMusic (8 Nights)
    Next Trip March 4 AsSports (4 nights)

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great start to your trip. Gotta love the extra Disney magic. I love to see it when the kids get sooo excited over one of the characters. Glad he got to meet Cinderella.
    LIZ
    Disneyland-Too many times to count
    WDW
    APRIL 2005 - Offsite
    DECEMBER 2006 - Fort Wilderness
    OCTOBER 2007-Saratoga Springs Resort
    SEPTEMBER 2009-OKW

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: