Quantcast Does anyone like the new Spaceship Earth?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Does anyone like the new Spaceship Earth?

I've seen numerous negative reviews of the new Spaceship Earth at several places on the Internet, and I think that either those who like it are not as outspoken or there are very few who like it. I want this thread to be a place for fans of the new Spaceship Earth to express their feelings about it. Feel free to compare it to the previous version, and a few negative comments are okay, but I want this thread to be positive for the most part. I haven't experienced the new one yet, but I plan to ride it in about a month so I will reserve judgement until then.
    I'm a dad! My daughter, Eisley, was born on December 17, 2010.

Regular WDW visitor since 1981

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Yes, I do like it.

I agree, those with negative commentary are often more vocal that those with positive comments.

Specific comments -

- I do perpaps like the old narration better, I do not dislike the new one. Although for me, it's not so much the voice difference, but rather the tone of the narration. I think the new version sounds aimed at a younger audience. Some of the wording sounds a bit more elementary. But I'm ok with that. Perhaps it will better catch the ear of younger folks, and still get the message out for us no as young folks. Also, I did find it easier to hear and listen to.

- I liked the mammoth hunting video image at the beginning.

- I thought many of the usual scenes looked better much

- the first think I noticed that I "missed" were the light chariots travelling down the road. Although, I like the look of this scene much better now. While I always got a kick out of the light chariots, they were kind of corny.

- I'm not bothered at all with the computer interaction on the decent, as many seem to be. I think it's a creative use of that transition time, and would be a nice touch for kids. Although, after riding it a second time, I was hoping that the image of the future that it drew would have been different based on the answers to the questions. I got a real kick out of the way they used your face on the story of your future. And I loved the map that shows where people are from (although I suspect some will locacte themselves in odd places just for kicks).

Granted for frequent return riders it might get old, but for the audience that does not return as frequently ( likely the significant majority ) I think it's a really nice addition, and a draw for younger riders.

- I liked the computer lab and the garage scenes, I think they are nice additions.

- I kind of missed the kids talking from different countries via video phone, but it's depiction of the "future" was really not so futuristic anymore.

- I thought that it looks like they might have left room for another scene right before you come into the view of the earth space. Perhaps some flexibility for a future revision.

My one question though. What's up with the paper boy? You know, the kid selling papers on the street corner. He was back in the corner facing the wall. That looked really odd. There was a stack of newspapers out front, but the paper boy was in back facing the wall.

So all-in-all, I think it will have a greater appeal than ever before for younger and less frequent riders. And, I liked it too.
    Marker from MO

Post Thanks / Like

Going up is great. Going down is horrible. I still like Jeremy Irons and Walter Cronkite better.

Post Thanks / Like

I love it!!! i've only done it once, but looking forward to doing it again. it has most of the old favorite aspects still there, but plenty of updates too.
    POR 10/13, DL Hotel 9/13, Poly 1/13
    CB 10/12
    Poly 1/12
    POR 10/11
    POFQ 5/11
    Poly 1/11
    GF 11/10
    POFQ 5/10
    Poly 1/10
    WL 10/09
    WL 6/09
    AKL1/09
    CB 7/08
    CS 5/08
    Pop 4/08
    CB 10/07 &12/07
    Yacht Club 07
    POFQ 06
    POFQ 05
    POR 04
    ASM 03
    ASM 00
    AS Movies 99
    OffSite 97
    AS Sports 96

Post Thanks / Like

I too,like the refurb of Spaceship Earth. DW and I hadn't ridden it in a while and I had completely forgotten about the light chariots!

As for the paper boy, something must have malfunctioned with him, because we rode it when it first reopened unofficially and he was facing you. I noticed that too the second time. Anyone know what happened to him? Was he bad? Is he being punished?

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

I did not like it. At first, the "movie" at the end was fun..the first time.
    Going up is pretty cool but I liked the old version better.

The one thing that really ruins this ride is the narration. Jeremy Irons was perfect as narrator, Judi Dench just doesn't do it for me
    DLP:
    Dec. 1992 - May 1994 - Dec. 1997
    October 1999 - October 2003 - June 2004
    July 2006 - October 2006 - October 2007
    Going November 2008

WDW:
    Dec. 2003- Dec. 2005- November/Dec. 2006
    Dec./January 2007
    Going June 2008

DLR:
    Dec. 2006 - Dec. 2007
    Going July 2008

Post Thanks / Like

I loved the work they did on the first half of the attraction. I can't stand the new Narration by Judi Dench. I absolutely hate the new ending the video segment are lame and face recognition software makes it look like a poorly done cut and paste job.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I really enjoyed the first half, up until the descent (outside of the new narration, which I don't like ... I think it lost the majesty that the Irons narration had).

The descent I think is one of those things that, the first time it might be mildly entertaining, but after like 5 times of seeing the same low-quality animation it's going to get very, very old.

I would have much preferred to see them do something with the 2nd half that was up to the standards of the first half.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    The descent I think is one of those things that, the first time it might be mildly entertaining, but after like 5 times of seeing the same low-quality animation it's going to get very, very old.
    I'm not totally disagreeing with you, but to be fair, after 5 times the entire attraction, any attraction for that matter, is the same thing over again. And probably the vast majority of riders experience it once or twice in their life, or every several years anyway. If that is indeed the case, then it would not become nearly as repetitive to the average rider.

Wouldn't it be interesting if they had the narration recorded by 4 or 5 different people, and the presenter you got to hear on any particular visit was random.

Or, if you could select a "level" of information you wanted to hear, and based on the selection the amount and type of information presented varied.
    Marker from MO

Post Thanks / Like

Let's look at the bright side, whether you like the new version or not, we should all be thankful that it didn't turn into Stitch's Earth, or Spaceship Wall-E, or worse, some some sort of rollercoaster. I already miss the Jeremy Irons narration though, and I haven't even seen the new one.
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

I loved the old spaceship earth. I havent been on the updated one but I will be next April. Hopefully it isnt bad.
    April 6-9 2006 Pop Century
    July 5-11 2007 Pop Century
    September 20-25th 2009 Pop Century
    June10-June 16 2012 Pop Century
    September 5-15 2013 Pop Century Disneymoon
    August 10-20th 2016 Pop Century (Daughter's first trip)

Post Thanks / Like

I very much agree with Marker regarding the narration and added scenes. And Ian's point is well taken also. My family is a prime example of how quickly the annimation inspires silliness. On only our 2nd trip to SE, my sons, 9 & 14 crossed their eyes and stuck out their tongues for the picture. I must say it was hillarious. So much so, that i don't remember what "my future" looked like. I was too busy watching their funny faces bounce across their screen.
    I think the idea of creating our own future has value. But the way it is done here is not powerful enough to deter such tomfoolery.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SpecJoe Magic View Post
    I've seen numerous negative reviews of the new Spaceship Earth at several places on the Internet, and I think that either those who like it are not as outspoken or there are very few who like it. I want this thread to be a place for fans of the new Spaceship Earth to express their feelings about it. Feel free to compare it to the previous version, and a few negative comments are okay, but I want this thread to be positive for the most part. I haven't experienced the new one yet, but I plan to ride it in about a month so I will reserve judgement until then.

Although I DO prefer the voice of Jeremy Irons, I really enjoyed the new Spaceship Earth. I find it relevant, interesting, and contrary to many, I really enjoyed the descent part as well!

My Father laughed out loud at "our future" and really enjoyed that bit.

My brother who had a good time making fun of Epcot for its outdated view of the future came out ( in part because of this ride ) thinking a lot better things of epcot.

DW, DS1, DS2 and DD all loved this new instance.

So there.

P.S. We also like Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor

P.P.S. We find Sorin to be an "okay" attraction.
    Stephane Morrell

[B]"Here we see Schweitzer Falls, named after the famous scientist Albert Falls"

Next Trip March 2008 - AKV/BCV split stay

Post Thanks / Like

we thought it was great. I like the new scenes on the inside - including the video footage of the hunt. I thought all the scenes looked brighter and fresh. I don't know what the paperboy did but he was facing the corner when we went through last week.

I liked that they still had Rome Burning, and the sleeping monk.

I'm not thrilled with Judy Dench as the narrator - as I love the voice of Jeremy Irons. However it isn't terrible, I mean lets be honest we would rather listen to Judy Dench then Fran Drescher!

We liked the interactive part - we thought it was fun and we enjoyed seeing what everyone else in our group choose for their version.

~Amanda

PS - I was disappointed by Soarin.
    "They punch a hole in the sky with FIRE and MATH!" - Gary podcast #19

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say I like the new version. Maybe the end might get boring , but it has not happened yet!

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoyed it. I thought it was a needed update to the aging ride - while still keeping within the spirit of the original.

The Narration was WAY too loud. It hurt my ears.

And they still need to add padding to the seats...
    Casey (aka DisneyWizard, Wizzy)

Post Thanks / Like

My DS has had a chance to ride this- a couple of times on his recent senior trip.
    He and his friends enjoyed it. He said Judy Dench was good. He liked the new scenes. And they (being silly high school seniors) enjoyed the video animation on the descent.
    And as one poster already suspected- yes- someone entered that he was from Nepal or someplace that was not New Jersey!
    Linda
    aka: wendy*darling

INTERCOT Staff:
    Disney & Orlando Dining/Nightlife, Shopping & Water Parks/Disney Vacation Club

DVC owners at WLV, BCV and SSR
    Next up: VWL & POFQ Dec 2009 - just adults!
    On Deck: DCL Wonder Dec 2010... but I'm sure we can come up with something before then!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey stranger!!
    Good to "see" you again Casey!
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyWizard View Post
    And they still need to add padding to the seats...
    I agree- padding would be nice!
    Linda
    aka: wendy*darling

INTERCOT Staff:
    Disney & Orlando Dining/Nightlife, Shopping & Water Parks/Disney Vacation Club

DVC owners at WLV, BCV and SSR
    Next up: VWL & POFQ Dec 2009 - just adults!
    On Deck: DCL Wonder Dec 2010... but I'm sure we can come up with something before then!

Post Thanks / Like

I have not seen the new Spaceship Earth in person yet.... I watched some video of it... I am not too fond of the narration... Kinda dry... But the show scenes looks awesome...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I loved the old version with Jeremy Irons as the narrator. I do like the new scenes, but can't stand Judi Dench as the narrator and the fact there is little to no background music. I miss the city at the end and I think the interactive part is probably funny the first time but after that it is just boring.

As I said in another thread, Spaceship Earth was one of my favorites and I rode it many, many times per trip. Last week, I rode it once and will probably never ride it again. In my opinion, they ruined it with the horrible narration. Bring Back Jeremy and the music!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: