Quantcast Panama Canal Cruise...Which side is better?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question Panama Canal Cruise...Which side is better?

Port or Starboard?

We had a guarantee cabin booking and were just assigned our cabin today. We're on the Starboard side and I am wondering if I should call and see if we can get a Port side instead.

Normally we wouldn't care so much which side, but we'll want to utilize our verandah during the traverse of the Canal and want to be able to see the most during it, kwim?

TIA!
    șOș

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Question

I'm not sure I understand how it makes any difference; you'll see pretty much the same terrain regardless of which side of the ship you're on. Why would the port side make a difference?
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

I guess that is what I need to know. Is the terrain the same regardless of side of ship? Does one side have a better view while traversing the canal over the other (from FL to CA)? I just want to see as much as possible, esp. while going thru the canal.

Post Thanks / Like

Certain sides of the ship do offer a different view in that the canal's infrastructure is located on one side or the other. I seem to recall (I watched the Magic traverse the canal last time on the PC's webcam) that the main Canal building is on the southside of the ship. Depending on what category your cabin is, you may or may not have a view during some parts of the crossing.

As for switching your cabin, from what I understand, the ship is pretty full. I know that as of last week, there was no room at the inn for the return trip in August.

You can visit the Panama Canal's site. Look on the menu for multimedia and there are links to several webcams. There's even a "movie" of the Magic going past one of the webcams in May 2005; you can find it by searching their site with the keywords "Disney Magic."

I'm so excited for you! What a memorable way to celebrate your anniversary!
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ElenitaB View Post
    Certain sides of the ship do offer a different view in that the canal's infrastructure is located on one side or the other. I seem to recall (I watched the Magic traverse the canal last time on the PC's webcam) that the main Canal building is on the southside of the ship. Depending on what category your cabin is, you may or may not have a view during some parts of the crossing.

As for switching your cabin, from what I understand, the ship is pretty full. I know that as of last week, there was no room at the inn for the return trip in August.

You can visit the Panama Canal's site. Look on the menu for multimedia and there are links to several webcams. There's even a "movie" of the Magic going past one of the webcams in May 2005; you can find it by searching their site with the keywords "Disney Magic."

I'm so excited for you! What a memorable way to celebrate your anniversary!

Oh Ellen! Thanks for that info and the link. DH and I will watch it and see what we think we should do, if anything. I called our Travel Agent today and he's going to check with Disney on Friday to see if anything has opened up as far as switching our cabin.

We're getting so excited!

Thanks again!
    șOș

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: