Quantcast Travel Channel 'Season of Disney' Shows - Discussion [Merged Threads] - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Disney Splurge!

Wow....

Who else would love to be that VIP tour guide!! Talk about the job of a lifetime!
    Maggie
    DVC Member @ OKW & BCV

Mamma to DD's E and C
    CR 80
    POLY 84
    FW 91
    POFQ 04~Last trip w/Gramps
    POP 07~E's 1st Trip
    GF & SOG 08~(Not My)Disney Wedding
    POFQ 08~BIG Family Vacation
    POP 09~Just the Girls
    BCV 10~1 Night @WDW
    OKW GV 11~C's 1st Trip
    BLT/OKW 12~Surprise!

2014 OKW/?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

What did everyone think of the Spurlge show? Personally, I didn't really care for it. Of course, it was great to see everything but the whole thing seemed a little too "staged" for me. One family went fishing in long khaki pants. Another family went from AKL to a practically desserted MK, then over to DHS, back to the AKL for the Sunset Safari and dinner then finally over to DD. Granted they had a VIP guide and a private SUV. Seems like they did alot of running around in one day. The anniversary couple and the Adventure Family seemed like they were the only ones who were shown having a realistic time.
    Sept 2005 - All Star Movies
    Sept 2006 - Pop Century!
    Sept 2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    Sept 2008 - All Star Sports
    Dec 2008 - All Star Music
    Aug 2009 - Coronado Springs
    Dec 2009 - All Star Music
    Aug 2010 - Port Orleans Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

What did everyone think of the Spurlge show? Personally, I didn't really care for it.
    Agreed. DS and my Mom got back from a Grandmother/Grandson night at school, and my Mom was like, "this isn't really what your vacations are like, is it?" It took about 5 seconds for DS and I to chime in simultaneously that "this isn't the REAL Disney!"
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to give this one a I'm glad I'm not the only one that was disappointed with the show. It seemed as if some of them were actors. I really didn't get the Disney "feel" from this one. Better next week, I hope.
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Walt Disney World proudly presents....our spectacular festival pageant of nighttime magic and imagination in thousands of sparkling lights and electro-syntho-magnetic musical sounds....the Main Street Electrical Parade!

Post Thanks / Like

I thought Disney Splurge was kinda lame...
    Too many trips to keep track of now! Vacation WDW twice a year so any questions ask freely ☺️

Post Thanks / Like

Default VIP Tour Guide

I sort of felt sorry for the family with the VIP tour guide. They seemed so isolated from what the real Disney Experience is like. I think the planning is half the fun. The mother seemed like she would be overwhelmed if she had to choose a restaurant for herself. I guess if you have the expendable income you can pay to have somebody do just about anything for you, so you don't have to be bothered thinking about it.
    Thanks,
    John

May 90 Swan
    May 91 O/P
    Oct 94 POFQ
    May 95 ASM
    May 96 AS Sp
    May 99 CSR
    Sept 99 BWV
    Oct 00 BWV
    Aug 01 DL/GC
    Oct 02 BWV
    Aug 04 BWV
    Aug 06 BWV
    Aug 07 - Grosv / BWV
    Aug 08 - WL/BWV/Dolphin
    Jan 09 - OKW / DCL / Wonder
    Jul 09 - CR / BWV / WL

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree last nights show wasn't the greatest. It kind of bored me since they didn't really show much. I also wonder when that was taped I know the one last week was in may but the one this week had the one family celebrating Fathers Day which means they were either pretending or it was taped almost a year ago.

I also thought it was strange the people seemed pretty dressed up I can see the ones at dinner the couple but the other people were dressed in khakis and nicer shirts. I mean who dresses up to go fishing? Or walk around in the parks lol maybe I'm the only one that doesn't lol

Although I do admit I would like to be a tour guide if they get to do what that lady did. I mean she rode the rides with them ate with them gosh its like your on vacation every day!
    Chris

Recent Trips

January 09
    May 08
    Oct-Nov 07

May 07

Post Thanks / Like

Disney on a Dime tonight!

Hopefully it's better for some of you than last week's show.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope that this weeks show will be better than last weeks...
    I dont believe that a personal tour guide would be too much fun...They ride with you and eat with you...I would be uncomfortable...Maybe thats just me...
    Amy
    80 Camping ºoº
    89 Offsite ºoº
    05 ASM ºoº
    06-07-08-09-10-10-11-12-13-14-15 POR ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

If you mised it, like me , Disney On a Dime is on again tonight (tomorrow mornning?) at 1:00 am.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Disney on a Dime? Hardly

I had to laugh at their idea of "Disney on a dime"...people getting 3 day tickets with water parks and more... The only family that I thought did a decent job of watching cost was the ones going to Pop. They hardly talked about looking for specials and all. Of course, I'm glad that they don't tell people about coming in value times with better deals. All I'm saying is that we're going Aug. 30-Sept. 9--$1850, with the free dining at Pop...base tickets for 10 days...no preferred and no insurance. That is a way better deal than any on the show.

This one and the Splurge also both seemed very staged--their clothes that some wore to the parks and they were always at the front of rides and all...

These are just hour long Disney produced commercials...but it's still great to watch and see Disney and wish you were there!
    I need my yearly Disney fix!!! and I'm booked for FREE Dining again!!!

*******Aug. 29-Sept. 8, 2009--All Star Music
    ******Dec. 13-19, 2008--POP
    *****Aug. 30-Sept. 9, 2008--POP
    ****Sept. 2007--POP
    ***Sept. 2006-- All Star Movies & OKW
    **June 2005--Pop
    *Mar. 2000--All Star Movies

Charleston, SC- 395.4 miles/6 hrs. & 15 min. from WDW
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok...evidently my idea of "Disney on Dime" is different than Disney's idea of "Disney on Dime." I too agree that the Pop Century family was the only one that was even close to realistic.

Here's my opinion of the show:

Did it really seem like they were offering cheap ways to do things? It seemed somewhat the opposite to me. For example, they recommended adding on the park hopper option. That is $45/ticket per person. If I was buying park tickets, I would rather just buy a 4 day ticket because it's cheaper the more days you buy and just do one park a day. If you are only there 2 days and wanted to do all 4 parks, I guess the park hopper option is the only way to do that, but that just sounds expensive to me. Besides, you still wouldn't get too much bang for your buck because you need more than half a day to do everything a park has to offer. Then they showed the one family staying at POR. While POR is nice, if you are truly trying to go the least expensive route, then you would stay at a value resort. Then they were stressing the dining plan. From my experience in February, I really don't think the paid plan (not the free plan, of course!) is really saving money. If you brought breakfast for your hotel, took snacks into the parks, skipped TS meals, etc...you would save a ton of money on food. And the last example of not exactly doing Disney on a dime, was the one family that said they saved money by doing activites outside of the parks. Huh???? Those aren't free, so how are water parks, Disney Quest, boating on a pontoon, etc... saving money?? They still went inside the parks, so these extra activities were extra costs in addition to park tickets. However, just watching that show would lead you to believe that those thing are free or relatively inexpensive. To me the show seemed more of "what to do at Disney" rather than "Disney on A Dime." Ok...well, that's the Disney veteran in me writing a critical review of "Disney on a Dime." I guess because I know we have done Disney a lot cheaper than the ways that they are telling people to do it!

Oh and one more thing...I'm assuming that Disney officials approve these shows that go out on the Travel Channel that have been airing this month as "Season of Disney." Since I had to work Friday night when "Disney on a Dime" aired, I recorded it. I watched it just now, and they missed a mistake that I'm sure is going to have some people asking questions if they caught it. There was a family staying at the Wilderness Villas. They ate most of their meals in the cabin, but one night went to Trail's End Buffet for dinner. As they were showing that, a guy named Chris Elliot was talking and said, "some counter service meals at Disney are all you can eat." I thought, "did I just hear that?" Since it was on a tape, I rewound it, sure enough...that's exactly what he said. I wish there were some CS meals that are all you can eat!!! :-)
    Last edited by McGoofy; 04-29-2008 at 02:47 AM. Reason: typing fingers get ahead of the brain!
    Tara °O°

AP holder since '03 and DVC owner since '08

Next Up:
    April '10--DH, DS11, and me--Spring break/Saratoga Springs Resort/ Flower and Garden Festival

Post Thanks / Like

The Samantha Brown show was very good as usual. The splurge & dime shows were really bad. I realize that all of these shows are Disney commercials, but these last two were particularly boring.
    Port Orleans FQ 1992
    All Star Sports 2004
    Contemporary 2004
    Animal Kingdom Lodge 2004
    Pop Century 2006
    Beach Club 2006
    Contemporary 2006
    Anaheim Desert Inn & Suites 2009
    All Star Music 2014
    Coronado Springs 2014
    Pop Century November 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think of a 3 day 2 night Disney trip for $1300-$1400 doing Disney on a dime. I could do the same price for 1 week at a value resort in a value season.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just a Heads Up!

Just a heads up for everyone. I know Mel will have listed soon for shows this week but there is a new Disney show on the Travel Channel.

The Disney Royal Treatment

(2008) Two families and a couple have their dreams come true during their Disney Vacation.

Airs Friday May 2nd 8pm central
    Sat May 3rd 12am central
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

I think what got me was the family staying at the campground had the golf cart. Isn't it some cost per day for that? If you were on a budget, why not just walk around the area, or less expensive alternative -- use the bikes (which they did that, too).

I agree with some other comments. Big Disney commercials. Fun to look at, but not really practical in the sense of trying to actually save families money.
    DW of lotrfan
    Offsite - '81-'86
    DL - '89, '97, '05
    POFQ - '94, '95
    FW - '96
    POR - '98, '01
    CBR - '08 (Honeymoon)
    AsMo - '09 (Princess 5K & 1st Anniversary)
    DCL - Dec. '11 (30th b-day gift)

Post Thanks / Like

I didn’t see “Disney on a Dime”, but this last one definitely appeared to be written, produced, and directed by the same group that did the planning DVD’s. At least the older ones for adults and DVC, not the newer ADHD ones.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Thanks for the update!
    Eric
    Resorts:
    POLYNESIAN (Favorite), Grand Floridian, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs. Beach Club, Saratoga Springs, AoA, All Star Sports and POP Century

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to merge this with the discussion thread we already have going.

This week's listings will be up soon!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caryrae View Post
    I don't think of a 3 day 2 night Disney trip for $1300-$1400 doing Disney on a dime. I could do the same price for 1 week at a value resort in a value season.
    We haven't had a chance to watch the Disney on a Dime yet, but did put in on the DVR. I'm disappointed it doesn't appear to show "real" bargain finders like the similarly titled book did. However, compared to having a private tour guide and private safaris and fishing expeditions, I guess it could be considered a "low-budget" vacation.

I do agree about the money. We're doing 8 days, 7 nights with 8 days in the park and free dining for a family of four for just a little more than that.
    I'm no fool, no siree, I'm going to live to be 103. I play safe for you and me, cause I'm no fool."

POP - 09/07
    POP - 09/08
    SSR - 09/09

Next Trip
    Breaking the pattern this year and doing AllStar Movies Dec 11-18, 2010

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: