Quantcast Questions for WDW CM's. Is working there all that it is believed to be?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Question Questions for WDW CM's. Is working there all that it is believed to be?

We are thinking about moving and since we think of Disney as our second home, FL seems like the place we should go. I really want to work at one of the hotels or parks. On the outside Disney seems like a great place to work. I have heard that the pay isn't all that great but then again, where is the pay great. A server at Disney told me that only a very small percent of people who apply actually get hired. I'd hate to move there and find out that I have no chance of working there. Most people probably don't typically move to FL so they can work at Disney but my DH can find work anywhere and if I have to work, it might as well be at the Happiest Place on Earth! I'd love to hear from CM's who could give me some insight! Anything would be very helpful.
    Is there anything I can do to increase my chances of getting hired? I'm sure it won't help my case for hire if I tell them upfront that I wouldn't be very good at cleaning bathrooms but I gotta tell you that I really wouldn't do it. Anything other than that, I'd be happy. I just want to work and talk with people, people who are coming to Disney to have a Disney experiance. There is nothing worse than being on vacation and everything is perfect until that one CM that is having a bad day says or does something that isn't very Disney like. It shatters the illusion.
    Also, do you know the mininum age to work there? I'm quite I'm old enough (36) but my kids would like to work there too someday. Thanks!
    01/08- Ft Wilderness
    02/07 - PO Riverside
    12/06 - Pop
    10/06 - Pop
    10/05 - Ft. Wilderness Cabins
    03/05 - POP
    04/04 - ASM/Ft. Wilderness Cabins
    12/04 - PO Riverside
    08/02 - Coronado Springs
    08/01 - Boardwalk Villas
    03/99 - Boardwalk Villas

Post Thanks / Like

My DW has worked there for almost 5 years. She works in a behind-the-scenes office where she has a lot of contact with both guests and other CMs. She definitely likes her job, but like any other job there are times when it's very frustrating. But she says the good times far outweigh the bad times.

Some of the "cons" include relatively low starting pay, odd working hours and days off, occasional mandatory overtime, and (to be expected in ANY business with 55,000+ employees) some friction among co-workers.

As far as the hiring process goes, WDW seeks people who are "people persons" with a quick smile, with a "can-do" attitude, having good work histories, and who fit the grooming standards required by the company. They look for people who are able to quickly and accurately assess problems and come to reasonable conclusions. Good oral communication skills are required. Fluency in another language is always a plus, but certainly not required.

It is true that WDW is pretty picky about who they hire, and they're usually pretty quick to weed out new hires who don't make the grade.

If you haven't already, check out the WDW Career Opportunity site; you'll get a lot of the company's side of the story there, then sit back and wait to hear from some CMs right here.

Good luck!
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your quick reply. I can't wait to hear more. I had to laugh about the "gooming standards". I am sure that my Intercot name immediately brings a picture of a rough and tumble Harley guy to mind. You know, the type that would NOT meet the grooming standards. I have wished so many times that I could change my name on here! What was I thinking when I picked that name? We dont' even own a Harley any longer. We have a Goldwing and no tatoos, no piercings, and are very clean cut.
    Anyway, thanks for the tips. I am going to keep all of this info in a file so I can be ready.
    01/08- Ft Wilderness
    02/07 - PO Riverside
    12/06 - Pop
    10/06 - Pop
    03/05 - POP
    12/04 - PO Riverside
    08/02 - Coronado Springs
    08/01 - Boardwalk Villas
    03/99 - Boardwalk Villas

Post Thanks / Like

I have worked at WDW on and off for 3 years now, in 3 different roles (soon to be 4). I love working at Disney. It's awsome getting to help make magic for the guests. I can't wait til next May, when I can move down to FL for good.
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by joanna71985 View Post
    I have worked at WDW on and off for 3 years now, in 3 different roles (soon to be 4). I love working at Disney. It's awsome getting to help make magic for the guests. I can't wait til next May, when I can move down to FL for good.
    Thanks for the info. Is it typical to change jobs at Disney? Are CM's always changing around?
    01/08- Ft Wilderness
    02/07 - PO Riverside
    12/06 - Pop
    10/06 - Pop
    03/05 - POP
    12/04 - PO Riverside
    08/02 - Coronado Springs
    08/01 - Boardwalk Villas
    03/99 - Boardwalk Villas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harley-Davidson_Guy View Post
    Thanks for the info. Is it typical to change jobs at Disney? Are CM's always changing around?
    Nah. It's just because I've done 3 different College Programs (and had to keep going back to school).
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

Me And My Sister Both Worked For Disney And Loved Every Moment Of It. But It Is True Like Any Other Job There Are Pros And Cons. You Have Your Good Days And Your Bad Ones.
    Jason
    Returning guest since 1982
    1980s Poly x 5
    1990s Caribean Beach, Port NO, Coranado, AS Sports, Y & B Club x 10
    2000s POP AS SPORT, Music, Movies, CARIBEAN BEACH x 11
    Last Trip Nov 09
    NEXT TRIP Sept 11
    501st member since May 2007

Post Thanks / Like

Just curious what happens if you don't get offered a job the first time you go in? I'm starring to worry about all the "what if's". I really want to work at Disney and we are picking the Disney area to live but that is with the assumption that I'm going to get a job there. How long do you have to wait before applying again? I'd even pick Tampa if I would be offered a Reservations job. I'm easy!
    01/08- Ft Wilderness
    02/07 - PO Riverside
    12/06 - Pop
    10/06 - Pop
    03/05 - POP
    12/04 - PO Riverside
    08/02 - Coronado Springs
    08/01 - Boardwalk Villas
    03/99 - Boardwalk Villas

Post Thanks / Like

Just curious what happens if you don't get offered a job the first time you go in?
    As long as you meet the appearance guidelines and can smile, you will most likely be offered a job. If not, you can return the next day to try again.

Your concern here, if there is one, is that they might not be currently hiring for a role that you want. For instance, at this moment they are not hiring for full time food service positions. But you can get part time. That may change tomorrow or at any time after that. The Casting Staff hires according to the demands coming in to them from the parks and resorts.

The CMs who have responded to you in this thread (including me) have failed to provide you with an important phone number. If you call (407) 828-1000 you will get a recording that tells you what positions Disney is currently hiring for, and will give you some more information about applying for Disney jobs. But keep in mind that the available jobs, especially for full time jobs, can change from day to day.
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Expedition: Everest
    Kali River Rapids

Post Thanks / Like

Oops
    I knew there was/is a reason I like you Ron aka WDWdriver.
    Working in attractions is not bad, but you want to work in food and beverage. starting pay for attractions in MK is a bit lower then what jesseca posted. If you go that route I would suggest going to an attraction that is on the laid back side and not an attraction like say Space Mountain which is the opposite of say Stitch or Buzz. well anyway good luck and hope to meet you guys down here after you get down here.
    Sandy °o° VFK name DisneyDreamin,First trip in 1972-Off site ,In between so many I can't count,3/04 PC,11/28-12/05/04 POR,Feb,13-22,'06 PC,Dec,4, 07 FWR,DVC,AKV07, DLR's DPPH 9-13-20,'09,Stitch/Buzz Complex Cast Member

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Thanks for the phone number Ron!

I don't want to undercut myself and pick a "role" that pays less when I could pick one that might pay more. I would think the ride operators get paid less in general because that seems like a role that college kids would do and therefore could get away with paying less. I can't really think of seeing a lot of older people working the rides. I am leaning toward something like front desk reservations. I would enjoy doing that but I rarely run into any that look like they are very happy. I would think this is the most important place to "smile" and be friendly. That is the first contact with someone at Diseny in general and the person who can set the tone for someones vacation. I guess if given a choice of full time front desk and part time server (which I have no experiance with) I would choose front desk and know that I can put my name on a list. But I guess that list would do no good if there is someone with experiance as a part time server on the same list.
    I got a little frusterated yesterday because I went to city data web site and read some post about Orlando area and working for Disney. Some people really make Disney sound like a slave driver and called it the "evil empire". That sounds scary.
    01/08- Ft Wilderness
    02/07 - PO Riverside
    12/06 - Pop
    10/06 - Pop
    03/05 - POP
    12/04 - PO Riverside
    08/02 - Coronado Springs
    08/01 - Boardwalk Villas
    03/99 - Boardwalk Villas

Post Thanks / Like

I am leaning toward something like front desk reservations. I would enjoy doing that but I rarely run into any that look like they are very happy. I would think this is the most important place to "smile" and be friendly.
    I've never worked at a resort, but I have heard that front desk can be difficult at times. If a guest is having a bad experience at a resort, the first person to hear about it will be the poor soul at the front desk.

I got a little frusterated yesterday because I went to city data web site and read some post about Orlando area and working for Disney. Some people really make Disney sound like a slave driver and called it the "evil empire". That sounds scary.
    Yeah, we all hear stuff like that. But keep in mind that there are 55,000+ CMs here. You can't expect all of them to love their jobs. As in any other job, it all comes down to whether you like your role, your work area and your managers. A good manager will do everything possible to maintain morale and a pleasant work environment. I have been lucky to have had some outstanding managers. But there are some managers here who don't measure up to the Disney standard and who don't support their people well enough. You will encounter one of those sooner or later.
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Expedition: Everest
    Kali River Rapids

Post Thanks / Like

How about Character Handler? That sounds fun! Is this in the Entertainment Dept?

It would be fun to be a ride greater but I don't think I'm interested in operating a ride. Is that something that is in rotation? I guess come to think about it, you don't want to be standing there for 8 - 12 hours a day doing the same thing. Oh, well. I think it would be cool to work at the Pin Trading store! Maybe I'll ask for that! I am afraid of ending up at DAK. We went there one time in the summer and about croaked!
    01/08- Ft Wilderness
    02/07 - PO Riverside
    12/06 - Pop
    10/06 - Pop
    03/05 - POP
    12/04 - PO Riverside
    08/02 - Coronado Springs
    08/01 - Boardwalk Villas
    03/99 - Boardwalk Villas

CaptainJessicaSparrow Guest

How about Character Handler? That sounds fun! Is this in the Entertainment Dept?

It would be fun to be a ride greater but I don't think I'm interested in operating a ride. Is that something that is in rotation? I guess come to think about it, you don't want to be standing there for 8 - 12 hours a day doing the same thing. Oh, well. I think it would be cool to work at the Pin Trading store! Maybe I'll ask for that! I am afraid of ending up at DAK. We went there one time in the summer and about croaked!
    Character Handler is part of Entertainment. I might try that soon since I am not feeling challenged enough at Emporium.

I think DAK would be one of the better parks to work at because of the hours. You'll almost always be done before midnight. In fact, it'd be very rarely, if ever, that you'd be there that late. With MK, it's almost every other night. Epcot isn't so bad but I think MouseGears is always there until just around 12 or 1am.

With merchandise, however, there is no guarantee you'll have an inside job. Actually, unless you specifically request the main stores in each park, there is a 80% of you being outside or in an open store (meaning, not closed in such as carts or pin traders, etc). Which is what I love about the Emporium, nice AC all day.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Mmmmmm. That brings up a good point. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what is offered.

I would think being a handler could be fun though because you get to talk to people while waiting around for the characters. I would really like to be friends with Eeyore. I know how important those visits are. It was top on our priority list when we visited Disney to see Pluto first thing then make sure we found him again before we left. My daughters trip depended on it.
    01/08- Ft Wilderness
    02/07 - PO Riverside
    12/06 - Pop
    10/06 - Pop
    03/05 - POP
    12/04 - PO Riverside
    08/02 - Coronado Springs
    08/01 - Boardwalk Villas
    03/99 - Boardwalk Villas

Post Thanks / Like

It really is. I remember the first time I worked with Alice and Mad Hatter. I had so much fun with them!
    Cruises:

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Well, time is flying! I don't know if there will be enough time. We are picking up the truck on the 19th and that isn't feeling like nearly enough time. The pressure is making sure we are down there by the 3rd. We were granted tickets to the Disney Chanel games concert in which the Jonas Brothers are performing. My daughter will be so excited! Can't miss that for-sure.

Do you guys know if the application ask for refereances? I am curious what info. I should go in with. Do they want personal ref. or business? I don't really have any business ones. My first job was as as drug store cashier and the drug store doesn't exsit any longer. My second job was at Pet Inc. in St. Louis which no longer exist. And my job for the last 13 years has been an assistant to my husband. Should I tell them I was employee of the month for the last 13 years?? Would it help to have a Disney CM as a referance? Over the years I've talked to a server who said I could use her as a referece. Do they ask if you were referered by someone?
    I have no idea which town we are going to be looking when we get there. We want to look for a house to rent because of the 2 dogs. Apt. won't be my first choice and I'd rather not be in a development with an association. We established a P.O. Box at the UPS in Windermere but that place seems like it is pretty high rent. I want to stay pretty close to Disney because of the kids.

So many questions.....so little time! Oye
    01/08- Ft Wilderness
    02/07 - PO Riverside
    12/06 - Pop
    10/06 - Pop
    03/05 - POP
    12/04 - PO Riverside
    08/02 - Coronado Springs
    08/01 - Boardwalk Villas
    03/99 - Boardwalk Villas

Post Thanks / Like

Hee! This is where I come in!

Character Attendant is sooooo much fun. I love getting to work at all 4 parks, and getting to work with different characters (FT CMs don't move- they are bid somewhere). It is such a wonderful role. I can't wait to pick up shifts this summer.
    Cruises:

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Great news!

Well, we've been here almost 3 weeks. Spent almost 2 of those weeks in a hotel. Finding a place to rent around here is a huge undertaking. We have been blessed with a place 5 minutes from MK CM parking. I can see the MK fireworks from my bedroom. I went to casting today and was hired on the spot. I will be working at MK in Tomorrowland Merchandising. Now I'll get to see more of Push and his girlfriend Stephanie!
    Capt. Jessica was kind enough to give me a scout card in which I used today! Thanks a million Jessica!
    01/08- Ft Wilderness
    02/07 - PO Riverside
    12/06 - Pop
    10/06 - Pop
    03/05 - POP
    12/04 - PO Riverside
    08/02 - Coronado Springs
    08/01 - Boardwalk Villas
    03/99 - Boardwalk Villas

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations! What fantastic news! Very best wishes to you on your new job.
    ºOº April ºOº

Next trips: GF Sept. '14, WL Jan. - Feb. '15!
    Previous stays: WL, AKL, Polynesian, POFQ, Newport Bay Club (DLP), DL Hotel, GF, DxL

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: