Quantcast Staying at AKL

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Staying at AKL

Post Thanks / Like

Default Staying at AKL

I am so excited. I just booked the AKL for Aug 15-18!! I have always wanted to stay there.

Now, has anyone stayed there? What's it like? Is there any must-do things at the resort?
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Must do -- watch all the savannahs, listen to the stories at Arusha Rock (I think that is the name), eat at Boma's, have a cocktail next to the firepit, have a drink by the pool, eat at Jiko's.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats! I think you will love AKL! We have great memories there... Here are my two "don't miss" suggestions....

1) night viewing at Arusha Rock- go out at night and ask for the night vision goggle to see the animals.

2)you didn't say if you have a savannah view room, but this is my very favorite, personal memory of AKL...I usually wake up earlier than the DH and kids. One morning, I got up and made a pot of coffee and sat out on the balcony. There was a light mist outside and the sun was just coming up. The animals were out, but most were laying down. Suddenly, I saw their heads and ears perk up. I didn't see or hear anything, at first. Then, I heard the truck coming down the road. The animals had heard their breakfast truck coming and they started getting up and looking for it. They all ran to the truck and followed it down the road until it stopped and unloaded their food. They were even trying to eat it off the truck! I just got such a kick out of watching the animals.

Have fun! I think you will enjoy yourself!
    Heather

WL- Aug. 2008
    AKL- July 2006
    Off site- Sept. 2002

Post Thanks / Like

AKL is my favorite resort. It's like having 2 vacations in one. We had originally booked a standard room and when we arrived were given a free upgrade to a savannah view. I will never forget how I felt when the guy who took our luggage to our room threw open the curtains and said the giraffes are out here eating. I actually stood there and cried. Every morning I got up early and sat out on the balcony and watched the giraffes eat. There is so much to see and do at the resort. And the smells of the firepit and Boma are great. It's like being on an African safari but then you get on a bus and BOOM you're at Disney World. Be sure to take the time to soak it all in. I hope to stay there again one day. ENJOY!!!!!
    JBP

Post Thanks / Like

Default Animal Kingdom Lodge

Its quite a treat staying there. The food is fabulous. Boma and Jiko are two fine places to dine. Observing the animals and talking to the CM's about their native country I especially enjoyed. If you are on the savannah watching the animals daily is so unique, I can't even imagine anyplace else like it. We are very fortunate to be making another trip back in May ourselves. Take in all in.

PS- Its no coincidence the similarity of the lobby with that of the Wilderness Lodge. The architect is the same.
    Trips planned for 2016......

January..... Offfsite... Golf outing

Post Thanks / Like

Just can't go wrong with AKL. We enjoyed taking the 'culinary tour'. Not sure exactly what they call it. In the afternoons you can take a tour of the restaurants. The CMs explain the background of the dishes. Plus you do get to taste some of the foods.

Post Thanks / Like

I just love AKL. My biggest mistake was not allocating enough time to stay at the resort. It is so beautiful. The pool area is relaxing and there are several areas to watch the animals near the pool. There is a hidden hot tub near a viewing spot of flamingos. Just relax and explore the resort, look at the artwork, even the floor. Definitely eat at Boma. We like to have dinner and breakfast there. This next trip we are doing Boma and Jiko. Enjoy!
    2017 WDW All Star Music/Universal RP
    2016 :(
    2015 Universal-Royal Pacific
    2014 :(
    2013 Fall: Wilderness Lodge
    2011-12 :(
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the advice everyone!!
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Last time we were there, shortly after sunrise one morning we were enjoying coffee on the balcony watching the animals eat their breakfast when a group of three or four colorful hot air balloons passed over. It was so quiet we could hear the burners hissing and the sounds of the passengers talking. The early morning sky was a beautiful shade of orange, and there was a bit of ground fog lingering among the trees. All in all, one of those mental pictures that sticks with you forever. In fact, I was so mesmerized that I didn't even think to grab the camera.

If this is your idea of heaven on earth, then AKL is the place for you!
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

When we stayed last, there were activities for kids around the pool. One of them was a scavanger hunt to find various animals and plants. Our kids really enjoyed that.
    "The way to get started is to quit talking and start doing" WED

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I LOVE AKL!!! If you eat at Jikos ask to be seated at the chefs counter. Its fascinating to watch them cook! The pina colavas at the pool bar are amazing. The savannahs are incredible - relish the savannah room view if you have it. It truly takes you to another place and the last time we were there you could ask for night vision goggles at the front desk. The firepit is a must "sit". They have a tour everyday of all the authentic African artwork that is through out the resort. A little time consuming but if youre a lover of art and/or culture its worth the distraction from the World. I also love the gift shop here.. very unique.
    '94-DVC OKW * '94-'96 OKW * '97 OKW, BWV * '98 OKW, DI * '99 OKW, FW * '00 OKW, VB * '01 OKW,Y&BC,BWV * '02 SSR * '03-'05 OKW*2006 BWV,AKL*'07 OKW * '08 AKV, SSR * '10 BLT * '11 BLT Next: 03/13 WL

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: