Quantcast Washington DC alone?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Washington DC alone?

My DH and I are going to DC for 4 days. He will be in meetings and I will be on my own. What should I do? This will be my first tirp there and I can't wait!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I love to vacation alone, and I have done DC several times. The goodt thing about DC is that they have a great metro system that will take you almost anywhere you need to go.

Head to the mall and check out all the (free) museums and monuments (There is only a fee for heading up in the Washiington monument). Being alone means you can take it at your own pace - lingering where you want to and skipping through what you don't like as much.

There are also a lot of things to do and see outside the mall - check out a visit DC website and you can get a ton of info.

The zoo is wonderful, also - and a short walk from the metro (and free).

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with above the mall could keep you busy all 4 days I recommend the American History museum there are a lot of really interesting thing here plus it was newly remodeled. I also recommend the Holocaust museum very well done. I would get a little guide book with a metro map in it, you will find the city very user friendly. Have fun it's one of my favourite places.
    Cassi
    1987 on site and Disney cruise
    1995 off site
    January 2006 Pop
    Feb. 2008 Bonnet Creek
    Sept.28- Oct.4 2008 Bonnet Creek F&W Festival
    January 2009 Bonnet Creek
    Sept 28 - Oct. 4 2009 Bonnet Creek F&W Festival
    Jan. 9-Jan. 14 2011 POFQ
    Coming Soon! Feb. 12-19 2012 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

USE the METRO!! I live in the D.C. area and go down to the Mall alot. Look through some guide books to figure what you want to see. The big attractions are on the Mall. If you go to the zoo, use the Cleveland park Metro stop, and head south. That stop is closer to the zoo than the Woodley Park stop. Any questions, let me know.
    First visit 1976
    Offsite 1982/1985/2000
    Disneyland July 1996
    AKL 2002/Sept 2011
    Paradise Pier-DL July 2005
    Contemporary Sept 2006/Nov 2014
    Port Orleans-Riverside Sept 2008/July 2014/Nov 2018
    Port Orleans-FQ-Nov 2012
    Paradise Pier-DLH DL 2013/2015/2017 and D-23 Expo

Post Thanks / Like

The American History Museum is still closed.
    First visit 1976
    Offsite 1982/1985/2000
    Disneyland July 1996
    AKL 2002/Sept 2011
    Paradise Pier-DL July 2005
    Contemporary Sept 2006/Nov 2014
    Port Orleans-Riverside Sept 2008/July 2014/Nov 2018
    Port Orleans-FQ-Nov 2012
    Paradise Pier-DLH DL 2013/2015/2017 and D-23 Expo

Post Thanks / Like

When is it supposed to open? I thought it was opening earlier this year. I haven't been since October.
    Cassi
    1995 off site
    January 2006 Pop
    Feb. 2008 Bonnet Creek
    Jan. 9-Jan. 14 2011 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Default Washington DC alone

I am planning to go to DC alone. I will be taking Amtrak from Phila. It looks like the station is very close to everthing. I went 2 years ago with an unimpressed friend. I never did get to see the White House or find anywhere to get something to eat. That was our last vacation together. My next endeaver is to get the nerve to go to WDW alone. Just hate the single supplement.

Post Thanks / Like

*UPDATE*
    American History is closed till Fall '08. However when I was there in October they had pieces from the exhibit at the Air and Space Museum.
    Cassi
    1995 off site
    January 2006 Pop
    Feb. 2008 Bonnet Creek
    Jan. 9-Jan. 14 2011 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by #1CinderellaFan View Post
    I am planning to go to DC alone. I will be taking Amtrak from Phila. It looks like the station is very close to everthing. I went 2 years ago with an unimpressed friend. I never did get to see the White House or find anywhere to get something to eat. That was our last vacation together. My next endeaver is to get the nerve to go to WDW alone. Just hate the single supplement.
    Amtrak goes right into Union Station. If you exit out in the direction of all of the Taxi signs, you will be able to see the Capitol from there. So, it is quite close to everything. You can also get on the metro from Union Station and take it up to the Smithsonian stop, instead of having to walk that distance. That will bring you right to the heart of the mall.

And in regards to the original post, many people have already mentioned the museums to visit, which is obviously a great idea if you want to do the touristy things. If you enjoy shopping, I would recommend Georgetown or Old Town Alexandria. You can get to Georgetown by taking the Metro to Foggy Bottom and then walking (if you want to use the metro system), and you can also get to Old Town via the metro...the stop goes by that name. Enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like

Default DC Travel

Thanks for all your helpful info!!! Now I am going to look for a cheap hotel in the museum area if anything exists! Is the Cherry Blossom Fest a very crowded time to go?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by #1CinderellaFan View Post
    Thanks for all your helpful info!!! Now I am going to look for a cheap hotel in the museum area if anything exists! Is the Cherry Blossom Fest a very crowded time to go?
    Yes. But, it is also a very fun time to go. The cherry blossoms are beautiful. I was actually down by the mall earlier today and noticed that they are already starting to bloom. The cherry blossom festival is fun when a) the cherry blossoms are in bloom and b) the weather looks good. Obviously, you really can't know if it will rain the weekend you plan to come, but my suggestion is to just visit DC at any time during the spring season. It is beautiful. If you plan to be here during the festival, the hotels near the mall get booked up fast, so you may want to look at hotels anywhere near metro stations. The metro is a really easy to use and you can get anywhere you want to in DC. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

The Cherry Blossom Festival is the *most* crowded time of year around here--great weather, beautiful flowers and landscaping (thanks Ladybird!) spring breaks, school trips, etc. If you come then make sure you use Metro--there will not be any parking anywhere near the Mall!! There will also be road closures due to the parades and other happenings for the festival .

I seriously doubt you'll be able to find a cheap hotel room "in the museum area", but if you're willing to go a bit further afield (i.e. Northern VA or suburban MD) you'll have more luck . A lot of hotels around here have shuttles to the nearest metro station, so it will still be easy to get around .
    DVC owners at AKV since March '08

Upcoming trips: Dec. 2008 AKV (40th b-day trip!), Jan 2009 AKV (mom's trip w/best friend)

June 2008--"Bonus" trip Hilton DTD
    Feb. 2008--POR (moms' trip w/best friend)
    Oct. 2007--POR
    Dec. 1988--offsite
    1982--DL Hotel
    1972 ('73?)--Contemporary

Post Thanks / Like

Default DC Travel

Thank you. I feel more confident about getting around. I think I will pass the actual fest.

Post Thanks / Like

Is the Cherry Blossom Fest a very crowded time to go?
    Yes - and you definitely don't want to drive at that time.

As for "cheap" hotels, I have gotten some great deals in Crystal City right on the metro line.

Post Thanks / Like

I've read that a lot of tours start at Union Station but when I looked on line it looked like a mall not a Station. Any helpful hints about it?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think CHEAP is in Washington DC language. I did find the Hampton Inn in Alexandria very very nice and reasonable. It wasn't right on the metro but it had a shuttle that took you to the metro whenever you wanted (You'll be doing PLENTY of walking once you get there). The shuttle also takes you to Old Town. Enjoy the museums and the zoo. Even though the American History museum is closed the others are more than enough to keep you occupied for quite a bit of time.

Maybe you can even stop by the Treasury and see if they're handing out any "free samples"

You might be able to get a white house tour but I think you have to go through your congressman or something for reservations.
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thrillme View Post
    You might be able to get a white house tour but I think you have to go through your congressman or something for reservations.
    You also have to have a group of at least 10, which to me is a bit absurd--I hate to think how many people try to get tickets and find out they can't go because it will only be their family...
    DVC owners at AKV since March '08

Upcoming trips: Dec. 2008 AKV (40th b-day trip!), Jan 2009 AKV (mom's trip w/best friend)

June 2008--"Bonus" trip Hilton DTD
    Feb. 2008--POR (moms' trip w/best friend)
    Oct. 2007--POR
    Dec. 1988--offsite
    1982--DL Hotel
    1972 ('73?)--Contemporary

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn J Mc View Post
    I've read that a lot of tours start at Union Station but when I looked on line it looked like a mall not a Station. Any helpful hints about it?
    It is a station. This is actually where all of the Amtrak lines come into DC and it is also a stop on the metro. There are stores, but it's not a mall. You can catch tours outside of the building (usually in the direction of the Taxi line area).

Post Thanks / Like

I am going down there in May, and it is my 1st trip there also. I heard that the tour of the mint is really interesting. Also Ford's Theater. Have fun, and let me know if there is anything that I shouldn't miss out on! -IamBelle
    VMK: DaffyD
    Trips to WDW
    June 2001on my B-Day!Off Prop.
    August 2005 Off Prop.
    August 2006 ASMov.
    August 2008- Pop Century
    August 2009-ASMu
    April 2010-ASMu w/marching band
    Aug. 2011 ASMu
    Aug. 2012 Off Prop.
    Aug 2013 Off prop.
    Next:Aug 2014??

Post Thanks / Like

When my son went to DC I got a tourist book and there was a whole section on how to be safe. One of the main tips was to stay in the tourist areas. It said not to travel off the beaten path. Have a great time and be safe..
    TRACEY

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: