Quantcast Our Disney Vacation-Lessons learned

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Our Disney Vacation-Lessons learned

We unfortunately learned many lessons during this trip. We had a wonderful time but there were things we learned from this being our first trip.

1. NEVER NEVER stay off Disney Property without a rental car. I am not sure we will ever stay off Disney property after this.

2. Never take a taxi anywhere especially from the airport

3. 5 days just ain't enough time

4. Utilize the park maps so you aren't walking from one side of the park to the other

5. Take a roundtrip airline flight next time

I know we learned many other lessons but I can't remember them all.
    Missouri Nurse
    Me (Kim), DH (Kenny), DS (Charlie)
    DD (Kimbra) DD Kaitlyn

March 2008 offsite-First trip Me and Kids
    March 2009 POR First Family Vacation

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah, you gotta stay on property. People don't realize just how huge Disney World is until they've seen it for themselves. Staying off property (especially without a rental car) is utterly inconvenient. And with Magical Express, you don't have to bother with a taxi from the airport either!
    I hope you still had a good trip though!
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Understanding the First Trip

Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Kim View Post
    We unfortunately learned many lessons during this trip. We had a wonderful time but there were things we learned from this being our first trip.

1. NEVER NEVER stay off Disney Property without a rental car. I am not sure we will ever stay off Disney property after this.

2. Never take a taxi anywhere especially from the airport

3. 5 days just ain't enough time

4. Utilize the park maps so you aren't walking from one side of the park to the other

5. Take a roundtrip airline flight next time

We stayed off Disney property the first time. Fifteen miles out. Never again.

We use Magic Express, before that Mears.

We did four days not enough time. Before AK.

Learn the park first then go.

How about never do a layover at Atlanta. That is a pain in the neck.

But in the end, a good time was had by all.
    Keep smiling and Have a magical day!!!
    It's all good.

We love to serve fun, food, and deliciousness.

AKA: Jean and Marty

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hull-onian View Post
    How about never do a layover at Atlanta. That is a pain in the neck.
    Uh-oh. DH booked our flight for 5/4 with AirTran and it involves a 1 hour layover in Atlanta Hull-onian, was your layover that bad? I've never ever flown on a flight that included a connection or layover. I've always flown non-stop from Philly to Orlando.
    Michael Bluth: I need access to these files that are apparently for British eyes only.
    Rita: Well, lucky for you, my whole face is British.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a layover in Atlanta once, on the December 2000 trip. My flight was late leaving out of Denver and I had the last flight out of Atlanta to Orlando for that night. My flight from Denver landed at the same time that my plane to Orlando was supposed to take off. Fortunately for me, that flight was also delayed about a half hour - just enough to catch it. However, the flight was on the other side of the cavernous Atlanta airport. The only memory I have of that layover was RUNNING across one terminal, running down countless steps, taking a train, running up countless steps, then across the terminal.

My family had already been in WDW for a couple of days; I was meeting up with them a little late because I was in college and I had finals. I was so glad I made that flight because I REALLY didn't want to spend a night alone in Atlanta at age 19 when I should have been in WDW with my family!

Carolanne- You should be okay with an hour in Atlanta. It's a very large airport but apparently the signs are decent because I was able to successfully navigate through the airport at a fairly high speed!
    Disney World: 10/92 Yacht Club, 11/96 Disney Institute, 12/00 Yacht Club, 6/05 Beach Club, 8/06 Shades of Green, 8/07 Caribbean Beach Resort, 10/07 Coronado Springs, 12/08 French Quarter, 3/10 All Star Sports, 4/12 Port Orleans Riverside

Disneyland: 1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013

Post Thanks / Like

However, the flight was on the other side of the cavernous Atlanta airport. The only memory I have of that layover was RUNNING across one terminal, running down countless steps, taking a train, running up countless steps, then across the terminal.
    That same thing happened to us during a layover in Atlanta on our way to Vegas. I never booked it so fast for a flight! That airport was HUGE!
    Danielle

First Trip: April 1977
    Last Trip:- June 15-June 27 BLT and Vero Beach
    Next Trip: June 20-30 Vero Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks BronxTigger! I normally get the 7 AM AirTran from Philly non-stop, but DH wasn't able to book it (guessing it's a full flight). The next non-stop wasn't until 3:30 PM, and we're only there 4 days, so it's almost like you're losing a day (considering we're taking an early afternoon non-stop home the last day). The best he could find was the 7:55 AM Philly-Atlanta-Orlando. DH is a man of great patience; me, um, not so much. When I saw we had the layover, I figured it can't be horrible if it's only an hour.
    Michael Bluth: I need access to these files that are apparently for British eyes only.

Post Thanks / Like

Have fun planning your next trip!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Carolanne View Post
    Uh-oh. DH booked our flight for 5/4 with AirTran and it involves a 1 hour layover in Atlanta Hull-onian, was your layover that bad? I've never ever flown on a flight that included a connection or layover. I've always flown non-stop from Philly to Orlando.
    The problem with the layover was we had to go all the way across the airport to get to our next terminal. Not fun with 3 kids even though they are older we had to practically run.
    Missouri Nurse
    Me (Kim), DH (Kenny), DS (Charlie)
    DD (Kimbra) DD Kaitlyn

March 2008 offsite-First trip Me and Kids
    March 2009 POR First Family Vacation

Post Thanks / Like

We flew Airtran and had to change planes in Atlanta to fly to Memphis ( a week ago). Our flight got canceled! Our flight was supposed to leave at 7:00 p.m. and we were rebooked and left at 11:00 p.m.!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your tips! I'm sure they will be helpful to many!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I agree- staying off property was so much of a hassle and it just wasn't as magical. Non-directs flights are also a pain. But I have one question:

Why is it bad to take a taxi from the airport? I've never done this before and I was considering doing it.
    Carribean Beach '95
    Wilderness Lodge '96 '97 '98
    All Star Music '00 '01 '04
    Off-site '03
    All Star Movie '05 '06
    All Star Music 07'
    Pop Century with DBF Sep 08'
    Pop Century with family March 09'

Next trip: Disney and Universal Studios April 2015!

PINK!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pink View Post
    Why is it bad to take a taxi from the airport? I've never done this before and I was considering doing it.
    Are you talking about in Orlando from MCO to WDW? It's very far, so therefore very expensive.

If you are staying onsite, the DME is free and pretty efficient. If you are not eligible for DME, you can take a shuttle for around $15 per person each way. If you have a group, it may be cheaper to take a town car or taxi than a shuttle because a shuttle is per person but a taxi or town car is per trip.
    Disney World: 10/92 Yacht Club, 11/96 Disney Institute, 12/00 Yacht Club, 6/05 Beach Club, 8/06 Shades of Green, 8/07 Caribbean Beach Resort, 10/07 Coronado Springs, 12/08 French Quarter, 3/10 All Star Sports, 4/12 Port Orleans Riverside

Disneyland: 1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013

Post Thanks / Like

A taxi ride from MCO to WDW would be VERY expensive. About 4 years ago my sister & I returned a rental car (we stupidly rented one, later realized that we really didn't need it). Drove the car back to the airport, it was so late that we couldn't get Mears or anything similar, got a taxi...$40 later, we were back at our resort. And that was before tip!

Post Thanks / Like

Are you talking about in Orlando from MCO to WDW? It's very far, so therefore very expensive.

If you are staying onsite, the DME is free and pretty efficient. If you are not eligible for DME, you can take a shuttle for around $15 per person each way. If you have a group, it may be cheaper to take a town car or taxi than a shuttle because a shuttle is per person but a taxi or town car is per trip.
    I was planning on taking DME from the airport to the hotel but then on the way home (back to the aiport) I was going to take a taxi to the aiport because I'm afraid of them loosing our luggage or missing our flight by stopping at the other resorts. I've never drove anywhere in FL so I didn't realize how far it is. Thank you!
    Carribean Beach '95
    Wilderness Lodge '96 '97 '98
    All Star Music '00 '01 '04
    Off-site '03
    All Star Movie '05 '06
    All Star Music 07'
    Pop Century with DBF Sep 08'
    Pop Century with family March 09'

Next trip: Disney and Universal Studios April 2015!

PINK!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Kim View Post

Kim I have the answers for you.......

Read more INTERCOT........ you have to spend more time around here...... we will be glad to fill you in on all that stuff................ Just ask us.........

I am glad you learned but that was the hard way.............

BRET/TTFN
    DVC Member 7/04 Wilderness Lodge Villas 6-08 Saratoga Springs
    Next Trip 6-16
    Disney Cruise 6-16
    Disney World tons of times

Post Thanks / Like

...got a taxi...$40 later, we were back at our resort. And that was before tip!
    Consider yourself lucky. The signs posted at the airport show anywhere from $50 to $75 for a cab to WDW, depending on which resort you're staying at. Yours was probably less due to the late hour and less traffic.

And some of Orlando's taxi drivers have been known to use "creative routing", taking circuitous routes to run up the fare. They apparently never heard that the shortest distance between two points is a straight line.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

I was planning on taking DME from the airport to the hotel but then on the way home (back to the aiport) I was going to take a taxi to the aiport because I'm afraid of them loosing our luggage or missing our flight by stopping at the other resorts. I've never drove anywhere in FL so I didn't realize how far it is. Thank you!
    Unless you actually do the airline check-in at the resort, your luggage will travel in the same DME bus you take to the airport so you don't need to worry about your luggage.

Also, you are asked for your flight information and given a DME departure time based on that and which takes into account the additional resort stops. I've never actually heard of anyone missing a flight because of DME! I actually think more people complain about how early the DME departure time is!
    Have a Magical Day!

Post Thanks / Like

We had a layover in Atlanta with Air Tran and it wasn't a problem at all. I think it was a whole two gates down from the one we got off of. It was annoying of course to have to wait but nothing terrible.
    1999 Coronado Springs
    2007 Pop Century
    May 4-11, 2008 Coronado Springs

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: