Quantcast Rookie mistakes - Page 5

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Rookie mistakes

Post Thanks / Like

1) Good shoes.

2) Get started with an exercise program. If you have never been there, it will amaze you how much walking you will do during your vacation.

3) I usually schedule my park days around my ADRS. If I'm eating at Le Cellier for lunch, I 'll be hitting EPCOT first thing that morning. If I am having dinner at Tony's then I'll be in the MK by the afternoon . I think park hopping to make an ADR time just eats up too much precious time, especially if you are relying on the buses. If I have an ADR at a resort, that might be the non park day of my trip.

4) I've done WDW with and without a car. It's so much less time consuming when you have a car. It allows us a lot of flexability with our time.

5) Not too many people can go to the parks morning til night for several days straight. Most of us need to stop and rest. Enjoy your resort, the pool or just people watching. My last trip to WL was the best because I had to time to relax and enjoy the lobby and sit on the beach and read a magazine with a pina colada.

6) Put your resort phone # in your cell phone's speed dial. I've also used my cell phone to make ADRS when I was in the park. We were waiting for Illuminations and I called 407 W DISNEY and got breakfast ressies the next morning for Whispering Canyon. While we were eating I saw at least 10 familes turned away at the podium because the stand by wait for an hour.

7) If you are going to be at WDW during a special occasion like a birthday or anniversary, get your special button at guest services at any park. A Japaneese cast member at Epcot made my mom's and wrote happy birthday in Japanesse on it for her. Let them know when you make your reservations or when you check in. They had it noted at Artist Point that all 3 of us were having a birthday that week and we all got a complimentary glass of champagne.

8) Ask to ride in the front car of the monorail. All they can say is yes or no but you could get lucky.
    1973,1978 (2x) Off Site
    1980 CONTEMPORARY
    1981 POLY
    1983 OFFSIGHT
    1990 POLY
    2000 POLY
    2001 BOARDWALK
    2002 WL
    2003 GROSVENOR DTD
    2003 WL
    2004 POFQ
    2005 POP
    2006 POP
    2007 WL
    2008 Polynesian
    2009 POFQ
    2010 AKL
    2011 AKL
    2012 CBR
    2013 CBR March & December

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say pace your eating. Having sit downs for breakfast, lunch, and dinner is no good. We did that on our first trip and I was feeling overstuffed and uncomfortable. We Have 1 sit down meal per day, 1 counter service meal and a small snack or two. That, along with all of the walking, also prevents weight gain during vacation.
    Disney Vacation Club Members: June 2008

Trips to WDW Since May 1996: 28
    Disney Cruises Since May 2007: 5

Trip #29: 01/2012: 5 Nights OKW

Cruise #6: 07/2012: Disney Magic Cruise to Canada

Post Thanks / Like

1. Bring a light colored ballcap or hat with some brim for each person (even if they are not hat people). Youcan pick up a plain ballcap at Walmart for $2.00 but wont find one under $18. for an adult. Even with sunglasses the glare of the sun can really get to you, esp. if you are prone to headaches.
    2. Bring an extra memory card for your camera because you will pay 3x as much at the park.
    3. Don't pick up a .99 rain poncho, it will cling to you like saran wrap which can be quite uncomfortable in the heat. Definitely bring one but don't go bottom of the line.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Front seats, drinks, backwards thinkin'

Three things come to mind that don't seem to be mentioned here.

1. Think backwards--most people tend to ride the first thing they see upon entering (like SpaceShip Earth at Epcot). Skip that, and head off to something more popular, like TestTrack, or zip through Main Street USA and head to Buzz Lightyear. Best of all, if you can stand it, head as far away from the entrance as possible as soon as you get in to the park (Like Big Thunder Mt. or Splash Mountain), and start there, working your way back toward the entrance. You'll pass a lot of people that way.

2. Small drink packets--you can get small single-serving CountryTime, Gatorade, or other flavoring packets for drinks. Many people think the Florida water is 'funny' tasting, so this is nice, and can make the kiddies drink more. As someone else said, a headache can often be dehydration!!

3. Wait an extra turn in line--If you ask nicely, you can get the CMs to let you ride in the front of the boat, or the monorail, or the car at TestTrack. You'll usually wait no more than one or to more cars, which at a ride is minimal time, but well invested. The front seat of the boats on Pirates, Small World, and the two at Epcot are definitely worth what won't be more than a minute!!

Oh, and relax and have fun!!
    "It's a girl! A girl? In the castle? She's the one...the one we have been waiting for!"

'74 Int'l Drive
    '83 FW
    '86 LBV
    '92 Offsite @ Christmas (never again!)
    '01 One day! :(
    '03 POFQ with my 2 DDs
    '08 Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

When we went in June, I figured DH and I wouldn't want to waste valuable park time in the pool. After only a day, it was so muggy that I was dying to go for a swim, just a quick one to get refreshed. Didn't bring the suit, so I was stuck buying a $60 onepiece w/ a big mickey mouse on it. I'll never wear it again and now I know to always pack the suit even if I don't think I'll swim!
    Nicole

Next up - Shades of Green (Feb 2014) and AK Jambo House ( Sept 2014)
    Stayed at: CB, POP, PO-R, FW Cabins and DL Hotel

Post Thanks / Like

Make ADR's and make them early! Winging it will not work if you want a specific time or place.

Take an afternoon rest. Even if it is at a park, sit, relax and people watch. We swear by a swim and a quick nap!

Be prepared! Take sunscreen, ponchos, water, and batteries and film! They are $$$$$ in the parks!

Pace yourself! I love commando touring, but it wears me out quick!
    Dec 08 SSR & first trip at holidays!
    Jan/Feb 09 Girl's only weekend with McGoofy!
    Sept 09 bounceback free dining again!

"I just want to live happily ever after every now and then." Jimmy Buffett

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of things that I haven't seen anyone post yet:

Take a small notebook and jot down memories. It's amazing how much you can re-live your trip months or even years later, just by reading your journal from the trip. A small notebook and pen will fit in a backpack, purse, or cargo pocket. And there's always time for a quick note while waiting in lines, on busses, or to be served at a restaurant.

Also, you mentioned it's you and your GF with no kids. Take time to notice just how romantic WDW is. I went 2 times as a young adult with my family, and once with my friends. I never picked up on the romance until I went with my DH for our second anniversary. A moonlit meal at the Rose and Crown, a morning ride up front on the monorail, a kiss in front of the castle... and there's so many more. Sheesh, even just holding hands on Tower of Terror can be romantic! Don't get so caught up in the rush doing everything that you forget who you're there with and why.
    Susan °o°

You cheated.
    Pirate.

8/98 CBR; 10/00 ASM; 11/01 POR; 7/07 POR; 10/09 ASM; 10/10 Pop; 6/12 ASM; 12/13 ASM; 6/14 FWC; 7/15 FWC; 12/16 2 weeks at FWC!

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone tried the touring plans in the Unofficiol Guide? They look good and I'm planning to do most if not all rides but I'm unsure of the backtracking etc. Would you recommend following the plans to the t?

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: