Quantcast Rookie mistakes

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rookie mistakes

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rookie mistakes

I'm interested in hearing from the experienced travellers what is the first time visitor mistakes I should look out for?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Taking the kids!

Post Thanks / Like

Save there just me and my girlfriend

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure to drink lots of water (especially during the summer) because it gets HOT.

Utilize Fastpass- it can save lots of time.
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Johnno52 View Post
    Taking the kids!
    thats a good one johnno52!
    #1 mistake- trying to cram so much stuff in one day everyone gets stressed out and miserable.
    just pick one thing each person in your group wants to do each day and make them do it!
    the rest of the time relax.
    there is no way you can do it all so dont ruin your family vacation trying.
    16 FW, SS
    15 CS, FW
    14 CS,FW,POR
    13 BCW
    12 BC
    11 BC
    10 FW
    09 DEC
    08 FW,POR
    07 OK, SS, CBR, POR
    06 POLY,AS,FW,YC
    05 SS,FW
    04 GF,CR,POLY,POP,ASM
    03 BC,WL
    02 AKL
    01 WLV,GF
    00 BC
    99 POLY, POR
    98 CS,BW
    97 C
    96 FQ,OK
    95 CB,BW
    94 WL
    93 OKW
    92 DL
    91 RMG
    90 RMG
    83 TH
    76 V
    71 HI

Post Thanks / Like

Here is my (short) list:

1) Failure to plan. Get a guidebook, send for Disney's video, and learn as much as you can about all that WDW offers. I've known people who came home and were asked "how did you like ..." and had to answer "I didn't know they had that!" Include making dining reservations in your advanced planning - the good places are hard to get into at the last minute. Don't be afraid to let the plan shift as you go through the trip, but at least have a plan as a starting point.

2) Over scheduling. There is so much to see and do that you have to accept the fact that you won't see it all - that is what the next trip is for! Be flexible - make a reasonable-length list of "must see" items, come up with a rough plan for what you will see/do on each day, and let other things fill out the day as opportunity presents itself. Make sure your plan includes some down time - if you are feeling energetic, there are always things to fill it with, but a lazy afternoon at the pool is sometimes just what the doctor ordered.
    Last edited by FiggyFan; 03-20-2008 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Hmm... can't spell? Can't type? It was one of those..
    WDW Visitor since 1973, DVC member since 2000

Post Thanks / Like

Flying Delta...

No really, always remember it will more than likely be there tomorrow. Take time to enjoy yourself and remember it's a vacation, don't kill yourself trying to take it all in. It will probably never happen.
    °O°Amy °O° DVC Member
    2011 Dec-Poly with the grandparents--whoo-hoo!!!
    2011 June-SSR!!!!!
    2008 Aug-Colbey&Gray's Birthday surprise-SSR/OKW
    2008 June-SSR
    2006 June-Port Orleans Riverside
    2004 Easter-CSR
    1988 May-Graduation
    1982 Offsite
    1980 Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Don't eat your meals at noon and five...you'll find yourself in loooong lines.
    1995 - Grand Floridian (Honeymoon)
    1997 - Fort Wilderness Cabins
    1998 - All-Star Music
    2005 - All-Star Music & Movies
    2006 - All-Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Try to remember to take pictures of both you and your GF AND of the sites...

I always take either too many of us and not enough of Disney or vice a versa.
    Last Trip: April 2015 CBR
    Next Trip: Sept 2015 Boardwalk

Post Thanks / Like

Like someone said earlier, take time to schedule breaks into your day. It may not seem like you're doing a lot since you're on vacation and just "walking," but it's a lot of walking. You'll put miles and miles in each day. So take time to sit and just enjoy the sights, drink lots of fluids, wear comfy shoes, drink lots of fluids, go at a comfortable pace, and drink lots of fluids.

Also, take advantage of making your ADRs at the 180 day mark. You'll be surprised how many of the places you'll want to eat at are already at capacity or near full especially for character meals at prime time slots.

Learn the lay of the land. If you're not familiar with the resort property it can be overwhelming. So, grab a guidebook or check out some of the Intercot maps, just so you know where you're going. It helps when you're planning activities in and out of the park.

Did I mention drink a lot of fluids? I just say that because I had an experience when I was a teenager that I got really bad heat exhaustion that made me bed-ridden for the vacation and it definitely wasn't fun!
    DW of lotrfan
    Offsite - '81-'86
    DL - '89, '97, '05
    POFQ - '94, '95
    FW - '96
    POR - '98, '01
    CBR - '08 (Honeymoon)
    AsMo - '09 (Princess 5K & 1st Anniversary)
    DCL - Dec. '11 (30th b-day gift)

Post Thanks / Like

Get really good shoes to wear - cross training sneakers, ecco/dexter/bass type of "boat shoe." I made the mistake of wearing regular Keds on my first trip - honeymoon - and I had to soak my feet each night. Bandaids aren't a bad idea either. Now I wear good sneaks on each trip - in a low profile color - so I can even wear them with a skirt and it is still cute.

Get a coffee maker and maybe a mini fridge for your room. Saves lots of money and time. You can have a cup of coffee, granola, yogurt in your room, hit the parks early and then have a great lunch in the parks.

Don't go back to the room to shower at the end of each day before heading out to dinner. Huge time waster and you end up feeling about the same an hour later anyway. On my first few trips (now on my 16th) we used to go to the room, reshower, redress and then head out to dinner/parks. On some days it is nice to take a break like that for the pool but if you want to push it (do it now before you have kids, the schedule will never be the same) bring a backpack with a sweatshirt, some wipes, pants (if needed), lipstick and some spritz.

READ THE GUIDE MAPS AND TIMES GUIDES. As others have posted, you miss alot if you don't use the maps/guides. Know where you are going - whether it be an attraction or a restroom - makes it much more pleasant for you and less irritating to us who do know where we are going (kidding). Also, make sure to ask Cast Members lots of questions too. One year, we asked a Grand Floridian valet how to get back to the Poly just as the monorail was about to close and he said, "Don't run, I will take you in the house car." Sweet !
    Last edited by Beast_fanatic; 03-21-2008 at 10:24 AM.
    Or do you still wait for me dream giver? Just around the river bend....

Poly 2x a year from Oct 95' - Apr. 04', N/05', M/10.
    Boardwalk: J/05', M/05', O/06', A/07', O/07, M/08, 1O/08, 5/11
    Y&B: N/09'
    Special events: Poly/Oct 94'/Honeymoon; Poly/Jan 00'/Millenium; Poly/Nov 05'/Vow Renewal.

Post Thanks / Like

And I should add, if at all possible in your travels prior to reaching WDW, see if you can buy a case of bottled water. As others have posted, you will need to drink a ton of water, no matter what time of year you go and it can get really expensive. We fly from the Northeast but always have our car service make a grocery store stop for supplies prior to checking in.

Also, they do not sell gum at WDW (I think this is great) because peope are irresponsible and it would be a huge mess. If you are a responsible gum chewer - like me - make sure to bring some with you from home.

Have a GREAT trip !!!
    Or do you still wait for me dream giver? Just around the river bend....

Poly 2x a year from Oct 95' - Apr. 04', N/05', M/10.
    Boardwalk: J/05', M/05', O/06', A/07', O/07, M/08, 1O/08, 5/11
    Y&B: N/09'
    Special events: Poly/Oct 94'/Honeymoon; Poly/Jan 00'/Millenium; Poly/Nov 05'/Vow Renewal.

Post Thanks / Like

bring as much stuff from home so u dont buy it in wdw it costs twice as much. film batteries, bottled water, sunblock, aspirin, bandaids, sunglasses etc
    Next trip sept 23- thru oct 1 2013 for my sons first trip ever at 28 months.
    Carribean beach. Mnsshp, hhn, seaworld 4 disney parks 2 waterparks rented a car got photopass plus. Im ready

Post Thanks / Like

In MK and Epcot - start at the back of the park and work your way towards the front to avoid crowds.

An exception to that rule would be to stop along the way to World Showcase and pick up a fastpass for Soarin'.
    1995 - Grand Floridian (Honeymoon)
    1997 - Fort Wilderness Cabins
    1998 - All-Star Music
    2005 - All-Star Music & Movies
    2006 - All-Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Going to the parks on Saturdays and Sundays

Trying to hurry

Eating at noon and 5

Staying all day at the parks without going to the hotel in the heat of the afternoon

Not planning ahead for when the parades occur = you're stuck where you are for the next half hour

Neglecting other WDW attractions and staying at the parks the majority of the time. DTD, your resort facilities, golf, nightlife, dining, watersports, the beach, etc. The real WDW traveler knows that the parks are merely the morning tease
    "Hey! That's some destination!"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mistakes....

I will not stay at a non-Disney resort again if I can help it. It takes a lot (and I mean a lot) to find a car at the end of the night when you have little ones and hurting feet.

Park hoppers. If you stay on site, you can start your day at one park... rest at your resort (swim if hot or just lay in bed).. then off to another.

Don't underestimate the water parks. They are a heck of a lot of fun!

Now that I'm a DVC member, I take it easy and say "we'll do that next time". That way we're not pushing ourselves to fit everything into one trip.

Baby wipes. You'll have plenty of uses for them. Sticky ice cream fingers to finding your little one in Minnie's garden helping her "plant the seeds" of an apple she had.
    Then: #runICOT 1/16
    GC Disneyland 10/15
    #runICOT 1/15
    OKW 7/14
    BWV #runICOT 1/14
    VBR and BCV 7/13
    AoA 10/12 iCOT 15th!
    VBR, OKW, Magic, & AKL 5/12
    BCV, BLT, Dream 8/11
    BWV 9/09
    AKV & DCL Magic 5/09
    POR 11/08 (no KIDS)
    BWV 6/08
    SSR 11/07
    AKL - 5/06
    Offsite 6/05
    ASM 7/99
    Offsite 3/97

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Things to Avoid.

Don't plan to hit the parks your first day . Try to eat at your resort so there is little travel.
    Unpack , check out your resort have a drink at the pool.

I had so much stuffed in our honeymoon, we never had time to stop and smell the roses.

Just remember you cannot fit everything in , so don't try.

Have fun, that is #1.

09/12 Wilderness Lodge
    09/09 Animal Kingdom Lodge, Club Level
    09/09 Disney Cruise Line Wonder
    09/09 Wilderness Lodge
    08/07 Wilderness Lodge, 1st Anniversary
    08/06 Port Orleans, Honeymoon
    WDW 05/05 Off Property , Engagement
    WDW 06/02 Family Trip

859 days until next trip!

Post Thanks / Like

The #1 thing you MUST do is make advanced dining reservations. I cannot tell you how many times we have seen parents and their kids walk away dejected because they could not get into a restaurant.

Enjoy!!!
    Disneyland 91
    Caribbean Beach 02
    Aulani 23
    ASMu 03
    ASSp 04 05 06 07 15 16 17
    Boardwalk 22
    POP 04 05 06 08 09 10 11 13 14 15 20 21 22
    Kidani Village 18
    Grand Floridian 18
    Polynesian 19 23
    Saratoga Springs 20
    Old Key West 20
    Wonder 08 10 12 17 18 19
    Magic 22
    Dream 13
    Fantasy 15

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Celakip View Post
    The #1 thing you MUST do is make advanced dining reservations. I cannot tell you how many times we have seen parents and their kids walk away dejected because they could not get into a restaurant.
    AMEN!!
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

Get practical, quality footwear. Trust me.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: