Quantcast Gettysburg 145th Reenactment

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gettysburg 145th Reenactment

Hello,

We are planning to go to the 145th reenactment this July. I had a few questions. First off, my son's 8th grade teacher is a certified NPS interpreter and she is going to take us around Gettysburg from July 1 - July 3. The reenactment is July 4-6. We have never been to a reenactment and we are wondering what to expect. What time should we get there in the morning? The reenactments are scheduled until the afternoon. Someone suggested arriving at 6:00 a.m. Also, what should we expect to see? Do we only see the reenactment of the battle or are there other things going on?

Thank you for your help.
    Daisy712

Caribbean Beach Resort 1989, 2010
    All Star Movies 1999, 2000, 2002
    Dolphin 2001
    Fairfield Cypress Palms 2003
    Port Orleans French Quarter 2004
    Contemporary 2004
    Wilderness Lodge 2005
    Pop 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010
    Wyndham Bonnet Creek, 2011

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Most re-enactments have campsites set up where you can see how daily life was for the soldiers. Make sure to talk to the re-enactors, they take what the do seriously and love to talk about it and pose for photos.
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

Gettysburg usually has a lot of other stuff going on too when they do big reenactments. I'm sure you could find info on it on the website excactly what to expect & what they have going on. The one I found says they will have a large village with activities all day & several battles. This is a link to the schedule.

http://www.gettysburgreenactment.com/schedule.htm

They might have said get there early for parking & just traffic.

When I was a kid my parents use to belong to a civil war reneactment group. I don't remember what was there for the "outsiders" I was really little. I just remember wearing the dresses with the hoops & the loud cannons. There was also balls that I got to go to a couple of them. It was fun playing dress up. I felt like a princess. I did hate the cannons though. The loud noise hurt my ears. With wearing a hoop skirt at such a young age I knew how to sit in one for senior prom unkike others.

For those wondering we fought for the north.
    Just got back. Unless we win the lottery or some long lost rich relative leaves me a bunch of money we won't be back for 5 years.

Post Thanks / Like

I am a reenactor and have attended several Gettysburg events. As you can see by the schedule in the link above, there are other activities going on throughout the day. I’m not sure about traffic as I’m always there the night before but I don’t really think you need to be there at 6:00. If you did you would just have to sit around for 2 ½ hours anyway. On the other hand, don't plan to show up at 10:30 for the 11:00 battle and expect to make it on time.

Altair is correct about roaming through the camps and talking to the reenactors. Don’t be afraid to ask about pictures. I would just add to not be discouraged if the first or second person you talk to seems uninterested. It may his first reenactment or he may just be a shy person. Keep trying and soon you will find someone who will talk and answer as many questions you have for as long as you want.

If you have any other questions please ask.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

I also used to do Civil War reenacting. There is stuff going on all the time besides the battles. Usually the troops will do drilling and such, and there are always people in camp cooking, etc. We used to work on skits for "down" times (once I played the companion of a Southern senator who got himself involved in a duel with a soldier - he lost, and I got to do a great deal of crying and carrying on). Renactors who are inclined to do so might do an impromptu presentation on their equipment. The renactments I went to usually had scheduled activities like fashion shows or presentations by "Abraham Lincoln." Gettysburg is a huge renactment, so there will be lots to see.

I don't know that you need to be there quite as early as 6, but there is going to be a lot of traffic and a lot of spectators at a renactment this big, especially this year. Early is probably better.
    12/99-All-Star Sports * 5/01-POR * 4/02-AKL * 5/03-DL * 5/04-POFQ * 2/05-POR * 5/05-offsite * 10/05-WL * 12/05-DL * 2/06-offsite * 12/06-POP * 4/07-Coronado Springs * 10/07-WL * 4/08-POFQ * 5/10-POFQ * 7/12-DL * 2/14-DL * 6/15-YC

Next Trip ???

Post Thanks / Like

I have toured the park, but have never been there while a reenactment has been going on. I would love that, and hope you have a great time.
    1975-2000 Family Trips, FW
    Nov 2005- FW
    June 2006- FW
    Feb 2007- FW
    Dec 2007- POFQ
    Feb 2008- POR
    July 2008- WL
    Dec 2008- FW
    Feb 2012- POFQ
    Herb
    Proud Passholder

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Thanks to everyone for your help. Now we just have to pray for no rain. My son would like to do a ghost tour. Has anyone done one and which would you recommend?
    Daisy712

Caribbean Beach Resort 1989, 2010
    All Star Movies 1999, 2000, 2002
    Dolphin 2001
    Fairfield Cypress Palms 2003
    Port Orleans French Quarter 2004
    Contemporary 2004
    Wilderness Lodge 2005
    Pop 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010
    Wyndham Bonnet Creek, 2011

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: