Quantcast Keeping foods cold in carryon

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Keeping foods cold in carryon

We are leaving Sunday, and plan to take food on the plane, since the flight from Seattle to Orlando is 5 plus hours long. I was planning to take bagels with the small single serving cream cheese (1 oz each), and a few other cold items. The problem is, how do we keep these cold until we use them? I know we can't take the reusable ice packs we would normally use. Any suggestions?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

hmmmm. . . thats a good question. I know I have seen little tiny ice packs, but I'm not sure if they are smaller than 3 oz. Maybe you could brings some zip loc bags with ice and dump them out before you go through security.Once you get through security you could find a McDonalds or some place that would give you some more ice.
    1990-Polynesian, 1998-All-Star Music, 2002-Off Property , 2003-All Star Music, 2007- Pop Century (twice) , 2008-Old Key West, 2008-Off Property, 2009-POFQ,2010-off property, 2011 - POFQ
    Next Up . . . . November 23-30, 2013- Off Property at the Star Island Resort.

Post Thanks / Like

I just had another idea. . . you could use a package of frozen peas. Not a liquid, but should keep things cool for a little while.
    1990-Polynesian, 1998-All-Star Music, 2002-Off Property , 2003-All Star Music, 2007- Pop Century (twice) , 2008-Old Key West, 2008-Off Property, 2009-POFQ,2010-off property, 2011 - POFQ
    Next Up . . . . November 23-30, 2013- Off Property at the Star Island Resort.

Post Thanks / Like

Frozen peas are a good idea, but I think they may be able to take it if it is bigger than 3oz. It may depend on the security the day you go.

I think you should have a small cooler with ice in your bag. Dump the ice, and then get more ice once you get through security. Kind of a pain, but then you will be prepared.

Good luck!
    Last Trip: April 2015 CBR
    Next Trip: Sept 2015 Boardwalk

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the idea of asking some counter service place in the airport for ice cubes.

Additionally, maybe you can eat those cold items earlier in your flight and have something like granola bars that don't need to stay cold for later in the flight. Those Quakes (little rice cakes) taste good and low calorie. I like the Ranch and Sour Cream flavors. Or Ritz or Triscuit or Wheat Thins....
    Disney World: 10/92 Yacht Club, 11/96 Disney Institute, 12/00 Yacht Club, 6/05 Beach Club, 8/06 Shades of Green, 8/07 Caribbean Beach Resort, 10/07 Coronado Springs, 12/08 French Quarter, 3/10 All Star Sports, 4/12 Port Orleans Riverside

Disneyland: 1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013

Post Thanks / Like

I know the answer to this! I've done this before. If you use one of those soft ice packs and get one of those bags from the grocery store that can keep foods hot or cold it will keep everything cold for hours. It will keep things cold enough that you could transport meat.

Have Fun!
    Go Nashville Predators!
    9/09 ASMo
    10/08 ASMu
    9/07 Caribbean Beach
    1/07 Marriott - family trip

9/06 Coronado Springs

09/03 Coronado Springs - Honeymoon
    10/99 Coronado Springs

06/96 Old Key West
    07/93 Beach Club
    12/91 Offsite - High School Trip

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BelleLovesTheBeast View Post
    I know the answer to this! I've done this before. If you use one of those soft ice packs and get one of those bags from the grocery store that can keep foods hot or cold it will keep everything cold for hours. It will keep things cold enough that you could transport meat.

Have Fun!
    This is a good idea, but if it's over 3oz than the TSA will not allow it through security anymore.
    Disney World: 10/92 Yacht Club, 11/96 Disney Institute, 12/00 Yacht Club, 6/05 Beach Club, 8/06 Shades of Green, 8/07 Caribbean Beach Resort, 10/07 Coronado Springs, 12/08 French Quarter, 3/10 All Star Sports, 4/12 Port Orleans Riverside

Disneyland: 1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013

Post Thanks / Like

I had thought about getting ice after the security check point, but quite honestly when trying to organize the 5 of us, just getting through security can be a chore! I'm sure I would totally space on it. I guess worst thing I could ask the flight attendant for some ice? We have just never had this problem, since we have always changed planes somewhere in the middle of the country, and were able to get food there.

The frozen peas are a great idea. I don't know how long they would stay frozen/cold. I also thought about freezing bananas. They would keep things cold and then make a great treat!!

I know I could just buy the snack packs on board, but my kids are picky, and wouldn't eat half the stuff, and would still be hungry!
    I am all for safety, but its very frustrating, especially since even on these long flights they don't provide any real food.

Post Thanks / Like

One option might be to freeze the bagles themselves. (or the pb & j or whatever)..that would create quite a bit of "cold" until you needed it.

(But the peas are a pretty smart idea!)
    Natalie
    Feb 2001 off site Jan 2002 All star movies Dec 2002 All star sports jan-04 Poly Nov 2004 pofq Nov 2005 Pors Mar 06 at PORS CBR Dec 2006 POR sept 21-30 2007 oct 2008 poly and akl, dec 2008 pop and VWL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BronxTigger View Post
    This is a good idea, but if it's over 3oz than the TSA will not allow it through security anymore.
    I forgot about that.....you can't take gels. The airports should start selling ice packs after the check-in points.

Ya...then frozen peas.
    Go Nashville Predators!
    9/09 ASMo
    10/08 ASMu
    9/07 Caribbean Beach
    1/07 Marriott - family trip

9/06 Coronado Springs

09/03 Coronado Springs - Honeymoon
    10/99 Coronado Springs

06/96 Old Key West
    07/93 Beach Club
    12/91 Offsite - High School Trip

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't even think about the ice packs not being allowed--when I flew in Feb. I brought one. It was still frozen going down but not coming back, both times it was in my carryon and no one said anything
    DVC owners at AKV since March '08

Upcoming trips: Dec. 2008 AKV (40th b-day trip!), Jan 2009 AKV (mom's trip w/best friend)

June 2008--"Bonus" trip Hilton DTD
    Feb. 2008--POR (moms' trip w/best friend)
    Oct. 2007--POR
    Dec. 1988--offsite
    1982--DL Hotel
    1972 ('73?)--Contemporary

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aurorafan View Post
    I didn't even think about the ice packs not being allowed--when I flew in Feb. I brought one. It was still frozen going down but not coming back, both times it was in my carryon and no one said anything
    I have forgotten about things too, and generally they get through. But... I don't recommend it as it could be a hassel if you get stopped.

Just remember that ever security check point and TSA will do something different. One that may let a bag of frozen peas through one day may not the next. Although baby foods are suppose to be okay, I have been given a hard time about some of it... even formula which is suppose to be okay!

I agree withBronxTigger... maybe you should go with stuff that doesn't need to be cold. And, a lot of to coffee shops have cream cheese in packets.
    Last Trip: April 2015 CBR
    Next Trip: Sept 2015 Boardwalk

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Since regulations change from time to time, it's always best to consult the TSA "Simplifly" website to determine what can and what cannot be brought aboard your flight.

If you are reasonably certain that you are right when a TSA officer tells you something is prohibited, stay calm and respectfully ask to speak to a supervisor. It may also help if you have printouts of the pertinent info from the website to augment your discussion of the disagreement.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

I searched EVERYWHERE on that TSA site regarding the ice packs, and the only time they even mention them is for use for medical reasons (to keep meds cold), or for Milk/breast milk for babies. Otherwise they don't specifically say it is prohibited - but they also don't say its allowed. I'm not going to chance it.

Someone at work suggested freezing carrots. She said they would stay frozen/cold longer than peas, and could actually still be eaten.

Portland, ME (1421 miles from the Magic!!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tink&Goofy View Post
    Someone at work suggested freezing carrots. She said they would stay frozen/cold longer than peas, and could actually still be eaten.
    Love it! Frozen carrots are a great idea!

Frozen grapes are another idea.

Also, be sure to put your cream cheese packets in one of your 3-1-1 zip-top bags (just in case).

Have a great trip!
    "Veggie, veggie! Fruit, fruit!"
    Next Trip: April 2013 - POP
    Previous Trips: 11/12 – ASMu; 8/12 – ASMu; 2/12 - CSR; 12/08; 9/08; 5/08; 2/08 - POFQ; ‘06; ‘05; ’04- ASMu; ‘02-Offsite; ‘01-ASMo; ‘00; ‘99; ‘97-SOG; ‘96-FW Cabin; ‘94-CBR; ‘92-CBR; ‘90-CBR; ‘88-Poly; ‘86-Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure how big they are, but you could try freezing juice boxes. I do that when the kids have field trips and have to pack brown bag it. It works great!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by poohluva View Post
    I'm not sure how big they are, but you could try freezing juice boxes. I do that when the kids have field trips and have to pack brown bag it. It works great!

I think the frozen juice boxes will still be considered "liquid" by the TSA.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: