Quantcast Can you do Universal Studios and IOA in one day?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Can you do Universal Studios and IOA in one day?

We will be at the Boardwalk for seven days second week in June and want to take a side trip to Universal. Is it possible to do both parks in one day? We have three kids -- thrill-seeking DD12, into-the-movies DS9, and not-ready-for-big-rides DS3.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We were able to do everything we wanted to do at both parks in one day with the help of the express pass. Good luck. Have a great trip!
    Jennifer
    Princess Mallorie's Mommy

Many times as a little girl
    2001- off-site
    2006- Animal Kingdom Lodge (Honeymoon)
    2007- Pop Century (came back with the best souvenir !!!!!!)
    2008- Put on hold for new baby, born 10/02/08!
    2010-Coronado Springs Resort

Post Thanks / Like

you can do both parks in one day with good planning but the summer makes it harder express passes makie it a definite no matter what time of year good investment
    Next trip sept 23- thru oct 1 2013 for my sons first trip ever at 28 months.
    Carribean beach. Mnsshp, hhn, seaworld 4 disney parks 2 waterparks rented a car got photopass plus. Im ready

Post Thanks / Like

You might be able to do IOA in 1/2 - 3/4 a day, but USF really takes a full day to see and do most everything. I would not recommend doing both parks in 1 day, particularly if you are visiting for the first time. If you have visited Universal before, then perhaps you can do both parks in 1 day.

For the first time visitor, the bare minimum is 2 days. My recommendation for the first-timer is 3 days, split as such:

1 day for IOA
    1 day for USF
    1 day to re-do your favorites and see the stuff that you missed

BTW, during my first visit to Universal, I spent 5 days there and I did not feel bored at all. I spent 5 days at the Disneyland Resort too (stayed from open to close for 4 days), but that's another story.
    Also known as Barry H.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the previous poster that if this is your first visit, I wouldn't try to do both parks in 1 day especially with kids. We took 2 days the first couple of times we went. Last time we bought Express Plus Passes and we were able to do everything in 1 day, but our kids are now adults so we skipped a lot of the smaller attractions & rides.
    1977 - Royal Plaza (Honeymoon)
    1978 - Offsite (can't remember where)
    1987 - Hilton
    1989 - Polynesian
    1991 - Dolphin
    1993 - Dolphin
    1995 - Wilderness Lodge
    1997 - Contemporary
    2000 - Polynesian
    2002 - Contemporary
    2007 - Polynesian
    2013 - Contemporary

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I'm not a coaster person but my hubby and two older kids are, so I'll probably be splitting off with the 3-year-old. We do have one night at the beginning of our trip that we need to find a room, so I'm thinking of staying at one of the Universal resorts to get that express perk.

Post Thanks / Like

We just went last month and had a blast. We did use Express Plus passes and that was great! Well worth the money. I checked into staying at one of the resorts or across the street and ended up at the Holiday Inn Express on Major Blvd across the street. They had a free cont. breakfast that was good, so we had to pay for parking, but it still worked out (for an extra $5 they let you have upfront parking). My three girls are 8, 6 and 3. I also looked at the meal plan and it wasn't cost effective for us, dh agreed. My girls loved the Seuss Landing part so much. Your 3 yo will also love the area by ET where they have a playland and water squirters and characters like Curious George. You could even go there in the morning and then go back later with the 3 yo while everyone else does the big rides. There is also a really nice and good Carrabba's restaurant near the hotel for dinner, we enjoyed it. And there was a Wendy's next to our hotel. The Simpsons will be open when you go, too. Look at the maps to get a feel for things. My 3 yo did not like Jimmy Neutron or Shrek, she screamed and cried, so we didn't really take her on too much at Universal. We bought the two parks two day passes, $85 each. I am really glad we didn't do both parks in one day. It would have been way too much. However the day we did IOA, we went later to MK for the Pirate and Princess Party, but first went back to the hotel.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO NO. It would be like doing two of Disney's parks in one day. We spend one day in each park on every visit and we have been there each time we go to FL. If you just want to hit some of the attractions and not see most of the parks you can do it in one day.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Default yes, do both in one day

We did both in a day in February. You have to buy the extra express (like fast pass but only for once per ride per day) We also split up some of the day. I took our teenage nephew on thrill rides and hubby spent 2 hours in the Dr. Suess area with our 6 year old. In universal studios we just hit the big attractions for our group: Jimmy Neutron ride, Shrek Movie, Blues Brothers show and ET ride. We did not see everything but it was still a great day and worth it. IOA has several great soaking water rides but we didn't need to do those because it was cold outside.
    February 2012 POR
    February 2011 POFQ
    August 2008 Boardwalk
    February 2008 All Star Music Family Suite
    Nov 2006 POR at 7 months Pregnant!
    Jan 2006 Vacation Home
    Feb 2005 POFQ
    Jan 2004 All Star Movies
    Oct 2000 Boardwalk HONEYMOON
    June 1995 Wilderness Lodge
    June 1992 Grand Floridian

Post Thanks / Like

I think it depends on how many rides you ride if you try everything then probably not plus it also depends on when you go we went back in dec 01 there was no crowds and DW doesn't do coasters and we went to both parks and with me as a single rider and short lines we did everything we wanted to do but as i said it was when it was slow so i would allow 2 days to play it safe if you want to do both parks
    1085.35 miles from Fort Wilderness
    92-Port
    93-Poly
    99-Fort
    00-Fort
    01-Fort
    02-Fort
    03-Fort
    04-Fort
    05-Fort
    06-Fort
    07-Fort