Quantcast the Mountains for a 4 year old?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default the Mountains for a 4 year old?

Obviously Space Mountain is out of the question because my 4 year old son is not tall enough...weekly measuring (can you tell I'm Disney obsessed?) and he is now 40".
    So technically he can go on BTMRR & SM. Do you think a 4 year old could handle these two?
    I'm a little worried about the thought of him freaking out on SM and trying to get off in the middle of the ride! I'm thinking he's probably ok on BTMRR, but I'd like your opinions.
    The last time we went he was 2.5 years old and was just too young and too short to go on anything big.
    ***Wilderness Lodge - Woods View Room - July 2008!!!!***
    July 2006 - All Star Vacation Home****August 2002 - Comfort Inn LBV****July 2001 -- Honeymoon at Carribean Beach Resort !****December 1992 -- Epcot****1991 - MGM & MK

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

My 4 yo.LOVED these. He couldn't get enough! Mine is an adventure type and these suits him.

Another one of my children isn't that into rides and more nervous and unsure....she wouldn't have done well with these at 4 yo. (We had to push her and hold her hand for every ride she did for the first time at Disney at 8 yo.- in the end loved everyone of them, of course didn't do Space Mountain or TT or RNRC)

Just know your kids and see how the day goes and their mood.

Have fun!!

Post Thanks / Like

You're talking Splash Mountain, right. He should probably be OK with SplM. But before trying BTMRR, see how he does on Goofy's Barnstormer first. Do the Barnstormer ride, then go and try SplM and if he's OK with both, maybe try BTMRR. You could go to the observation and photo area by the ride exit, or some other area where he can see part of the ride, and show the ride to your son, of course making sure that he sees at least one train go by. Then ask him if he wants to go on the ride. If he doesn't like what he sees, then you'll just try again next time. If he goes on it and doesn't like it, at least the ride is only 3-4 minutes long. Unlike most WDW rides, at least with BTMRR you can see what you're getting into.

As for other rides that he can do because of his height, he should be OK with Soarin' and Test Track too, but ToT may be too intense for someone his age.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

I think your son should do fine. My family and I were there in January and my ds was 4 1/2 he'll be 5 in April, and he went on those rides plus Expedition Everest and Space Mountain! He loved them. The only ride that still scares him and his older brother who will be 8 in September is Dinosaur. But the brave boys that they are still try it every year. I think he would enjoy them!!! Give it a try!
    Disneyland Jun 01'
    ASM Jan 04'
    PC Jan 05'
    PC Jan 07'
    PC Jan 08'
    PC Jan 09'
    POR Sept 09'
    Disneyland July 10'
    POR Sept 11'
    Disneyland July 12'
    POR Nov 13'
    Disneyland 14'
    POR Jan 15'
    POR July 17'
    Disneyland July 17'
    Disneyland Paris Mar 19'
    Disneyland July 19'
    PC Sept 19'

Post Thanks / Like

It will always depend on the personality of the child whether or not he/she is ready for a ride. But, from a physical standpoint, my son was 3 last September, and just barely made the 40 inch mark, so we were thrilled to take him on SM for the first time! He was so excited and wanted to go over and over, which was fine with me, because I could easily put my arm around him on the drops (even though it wasn't really necessary). We did, however, decide to wait on BTMRR due to its intensity. Even though Barnstormer is his fav ride, TM is so much more "herky-jerky" and we just didn't feel comfortable with it yet. We think we will be letting him ride next Sept. when he is 4 1/2 and has a little more height and weight on him, although I would definitely put my arm behind his head as a cushion on that ride! Have a great trip!!

Post Thanks / Like

Two and a half years ago when our DS was 4 he loved the thrill rides at MK- Splash and Big Thunder. He, too, was not tall enough to ride Space Mtn. But just a year later he could and he loves that one as well. Ya'll have fun!

Post Thanks / Like

Our DD was just shy of 4 on our last trip. She went on Splash and Goofy's Barnstormer. I can't say she loved them but, she was okay with both.

We held off on BTMRR. Even though it is one of my favorites, I thought it was too jerky and rough for her. I don't think she was ready for it.

She loved Soarin though!!

Have a great trip!
    DVC Members @ SSR
    19 Trips since 1996:
    Caribbean Beach Resort-2x's, Dixie Landings-2x, POFQ-2x's, POR-3x's All Star Movies-4x's, Pop-1x, Saratoga Springs-2x, BWV-1x, OKW-2x

Just got back: August 17th-22nd POR

Post Thanks / Like

This is a great thread! DS3.5 will be 4 when we go next. He's already 41.5 inches tall so I'm counting on him wanting to ride a lot of the "big" rides. I'm a little hesitant on Splash b/c of the kind of "scary" part where it's dark and then the drop seems really big. But I'm fairly certain he'll love BTMRR. I think it's a good idea to give Barnstormer a try first to see if he likes coasters. Have fun!
    "Oh that clock, even HE orders me around!"
    -Cinderella
    ~~~~~~
    Next trip: DLR February 2015
    Last trip: January 2014.
    7 trips to the World.
    1 trip to Disneyland Paris.
    25 trips to Disneyland.

Post Thanks / Like

Let the kids choose, if you scare them then they may never want to ride. On the other hand if they want to try and enjoy it they will have made the decision for themselves. It would be terrible if this was going to be your only visit WDW. Almost everyone wants to ride the mountains of WDW. But how many find joy at Poohs thoughtful place or playing in the Honey I Shrunk The Kids play area,even if they aren't too big to enjoy these areas a child would love more than an adult.

Post Thanks / Like

I think they'd be okay. Last Sept. there was a 4 yr. old behind us on BTMRR. He was so cute! It was his 1st time on a "big kid" ride and when he got off the 1st thing he said was that he wanted to go again.
    Go Nashville Predators!
    9/09 ASMo
    10/08 ASMu
    9/07 Caribbean Beach
    1/07 Marriott - family trip

9/06 Coronado Springs

09/03 Coronado Springs - Honeymoon
    10/99 Coronado Springs

06/96 Old Key West
    07/93 Beach Club
    12/91 Offsite - High School Trip

Post Thanks / Like

I took my 4 year old son on BTMRR in August of 2007. He handled it quite well. Two college age girls in front of us, kept looking back to see how he was doing. We did get stuck in the part with the rocks trembling, falling and the earthquake sounds for a few minutes and this he did not like. When ever we hot the slow parts, he had a scared look on his face, but loved the fast moving drops, but the curves, brought a concerned look to his face. Overall I think he liked it.
    °O° Von Drake °O°
    10 trips before 2000 | 2001 Offsite | 2001 SOG | 2002 CR | 2005 ASSp & SOG | 2006 OffSite | 2006 Disneyland | 2007 POP | 2008 POP & SOG

Post Thanks / Like

Many 4yo's would like them. However, if they get scared as it gets closer, don't force them on. You know your child's limits more than anyone here. Bribery works well, but not force.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

We went down there last May when my ds was only 3- almost 4 and he actually asked to go the Tower of Terror. I was very reluctant to put him on and we explained the entire ride and what would happen and he still wanted to go it- so we went and he loved it. I think it all depends on what your child wants to do. I wouldn't push it if they don't seem too enthusiastic about it, but if they want to then go for it. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

When DS reached the height minimum for rides we let him decide if he wanted to go on. On some rides we'd be walking up and he'd be all excited and then we could tell by his demeanor that he was rethinking the ride. When we saw that happen we'd stop and talk about it and let him know that he didn't have to do it now, we'd come back and do it later. We always left the choice up to him when to do a ride for the first time.
    74 Off Site
    98 Contemporary & DCL inaugural cruise
    99 Dixie Landings
    00 Dixie Landings
    01 POR & DCL
    02 AKL & DCL
    03 VB
    04 DL GC
    05 ASSp, VWL, GF
    06 POFQ, CSR, OKW
    07 ASMo & VWL
    08 Pop VWL
    09 BW, POR, VWL, CSR
    10 WL
    12 VWL, AKL Club
    13 VWL, WL Club

Post Thanks / Like

Our youngest has been riding all the 40" rides since he was 2 .... and LOVED LOVED LOVED them...... Now that he's 4, he is not so sure that he wants to ride Tower of Terror anymore .... but he's still all ready for the mountains! I would ask your son, and if he's interested and if he's tall enough, then I would certainly take him on them. I wouldn't push him though, as it could turn him off the rides forever!
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I think your 4 yo should be fine on both rides. My dd went on BTMRR when she was 3. She had a blast. Of course I rode with her and didn't let go of her the whole time even though she wanted me to. We didn't feel she was physically old enough to go on SM (cause of the bigger drops on the end). We thought she should wait another year. Well its been a long year that turned into 6 almost 7 years.

Both of my boys will be 4/5 when we go and they will be tall enough. If they wish to go on both then they can.

I'm one that feels that is more than just height on a ride age is a big consideration and know that just because my child is tall enough doesn't make it necessarily safe there bone structure and muscles aren't strong enough for them to ride the rides. Call me over protective but I rather deal with a little fit because I won't let them ride something then give in and get them hurt or killed cause they weren't physically ready. DD still deals with this and cause she ride any roller coaster if I'd let her. She's tall for her age.
    Just got back. Unless we win the lottery or some long lost rich relative leaves me a bunch of money we won't be back for 5 years.

Post Thanks / Like

My son was four when we went in September. He did both of those mountains. He loved them.

I'd just ask your child if he wants to try it and play it by ear.

May 2002 WDW
    February 6- 11, 2006 WDW
    September 23-27, 2006 WDW
    September 1-September 9, 2007 WDW
    August 29 - September 6, 2009 WDW
    February 4, 2012 - February 12, 2012 WDW

Post Thanks / Like

My niece will be 4 in May when we go and currently she is just now 40 inches tall. She will be going on Splash Mountain and she can't wait. It's all she talks about. We know she should be fine with the drop because she has gone a couple different flume rides that she met the height requirement and she loved them.

As far as Big Thunder we are still debating. She wants to go on it but we are concerned about the herky jerky movements of the ride. She has gone on Barnstormer last year and loved it. My question is would they let her sit in between 2 adults to help prevent her from getting pushed side to side too much. I was also wondering about the weight of those children that have gone on because while my niece is tall enough she is pretty thin.
    1993-Off-site
    1995/1996-Caribbean Beach
    1997-Dixie Landing
    1998-Caribbean Beach
    1999-Coronado Springs
    2000-Grosvenor
    2001-Animal Kingdom Lodge
    2003-Caribbean Beach
    2005-POP/Coronado Springs
    2006/2007-POP
    2008/2009-Riverside
    2010 - Beach Club
    2011 - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stitch34 View Post

My question is would they let her sit in between 2 adults to help prevent her from getting pushed side to side too much. I was also wondering about the weight of those children that have gone on because while my niece is tall enough she is pretty thin.
    I ride in one seat with my two boys, 8 &10 on BTMRR but, I would think two adults and one child would be pretty tight in one row. I am sure someone else has more experience with that though.

That is the reason we did not take our DD on it in September. It is a pretty rough ride. I can't wait to get her on it though. We all love it!! We will see in December!
    DVC Members @ SSR
    19 Trips since 1996:
    Caribbean Beach Resort-2x's, Dixie Landings-2x, POFQ-2x's, POR-3x's All Star Movies-4x's, Pop-1x, Saratoga Springs-2x, BWV-1x, OKW-2x

Just got back: August 17th-22nd POR

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Our youngest DD was 4 on our last trip. We did both Splash and BTMRR. She loved them. Whenever we ask her what her favorite ride was she says "The Splash ride - 'cause it tickled my tummy!"
    BandMan

"We are not trying to entertain the critics. I'll take my chances with the public."
    -Walt Disney

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: