Quantcast I feel like I'm going to be sick...

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default I feel like I'm going to be sick...

I just read an article on Yahoo news about a 'weapon' that's being used in Kenya's ethnic clashes. The article said that some of the victims are children and one was just two years old!! I am so disgusted with the world we live in right now...it's completely sick and depraved. Just thinking about the things that people feel justified in doing to one another makes me physically ill.
    See You Real Soon!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I know what you mean. I think that recently becoming a mom has made my awareness and disgust of this type of violence towards small children more acute. It's not just Kenya, it's recent (and not so recent) happenings in Darfur, Congo, Rwanda, and Iraq, as well as what happened in both Europe and Asia back in WWII. I say a prayer for the victims and I give thanks that my family is healthy and how fortunate we are to live here.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

I know exactly that feeling when you learn about something and it is so vile and unthinkable. I just don't understand how some people can do such horrible things.

Have you ever seen the movie The Blood Diamond? Seeing the child militia's and what they do to them just broke my heart. Especially knowing that those types of things are actually going on.
    Liz
    March 2006-POP!
    September 2007-POP!

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by diz_girl View Post
    It's not just Kenya, it's recent (and not so recent) happenings in Darfur, Congo, Rwanda, and Iraq, as well as what happened in both Europe and Asia back in WWII.
    I don't mean to diminish what's happening or happened in those places, but why ignore what happens here? Every day?

American children are subjected to unspeakable horrors daily and it's virtually always at the hands of the people they trust most ... their parents.

I just read a story on CNN about a 4 year old boy who was murdered by his father because the boy soiled his pants.

As a parent to two small children, it's like a kick in the stomach every time I read stories like this ... there simply isn't a punishment sufficient for animals like these people. To me, a parent who violates the sanctity of that trust their child places in them is the lowest of the low ... burning them at the stake would be too kind.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I don't mean to diminish what's happening or happened in those places, but why ignore what happens here? Every day?
    I absolutely agree that these terrible things are happening all over - I honestly can't watch the news anymore because of all the terrible reports.
    See You Real Soon!

Post Thanks / Like

American children are subjected to unspeakable horrors daily and it's virtually always at the hands of the people they trust most ... their parents.

I just read a story on CNN about a 4 year old boy who was murdered by his father because the boy soiled his pants.

As a parent to two small children, it's like a kick in the stomach every time I read stories like this ... there simply isn't a punishment sufficient for animals like these people. To me, a parent who violates the sanctity of that trust their child places in them is the lowest of the low ... burning them at the stake would be too kind.

Well said!! I agree that those of us in the so called "civilized" part of the world need to spend more time on getting our own house in order and less time criticizing others. Of course, as a "good citizen" of the world where should we get involved and where shouldn't we?

Post Thanks / Like

That is disgusting and shocking. It ranks right up there with this week's news of terrorists in Iraq harvesting mental hospitals for bomb carriers. They actually strapped bombs onto 3 mentally handicapped women, sent them to a crowded area, and detonated the bombs via remote control.

I agree that we have some horrific parent/child news here at home, but I think it's apples & oranges. The post concerns ongoing practices by groups of people, in which human life takes a back-seat to radicalism. Tools of war, so to speak.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I can't disagree, despicable things happen right here at home, as well as abroad. But it's not a competition. It's not about choosing one situation over another, it's all terrible. It all needs attention. And it's nothing new, bad stuff has happened all throughout history.
    Marker from MO

Post Thanks / Like

Don't make me get on my
    If ever anyone is short a story or two I can help.
    As parents we all get tired and worn out sometimes and sometimes do the best we can but thank goodness for all the good parents and just hug you kid and say a prayer!
    Next
    DD, DS @ AKV Dec 12 SSR 12-16

AKV Savannah 8/08
    ASMu my BD 4/08 w/ Angel & MrsSgtT
    SSR 10/07 BWV-12/06
    Pop-05 04 03 1st Nighters
    OKW-97 96 Poly- 89 87 86 CR:72
    Offsite:8xs FW:83 82 82 DL 67,68,71

Post Thanks / Like

Well said!

It truely breaks my heart and makes me physically sick to hear so many stories of people hurting their children. The story of the little girl in NYC who was abused, tortured and killed by her stepfather just absolutely tears me apart. When it first happened I couldn't even watch the news because it made me cry. How could someone do that? and how could her mother let it happen? My kids are the light and joy of my life. I hate when my kids stub their toe or get a little scratch. I can't imagine hurting them. Sure there are times they drive me nuts. Heck, I got about 2 hours of sleep last night because DD is sick, DS5 won't sleep in his own bed, and DS8months still gets up once at night. I'm exhausted. But, nothing makes me feel better like a hug, kiss and "I love you, Mommy." or a funny baby belly laugh!

Another thing that gets me is that people do these things to their kids and yet there are soo many people who want a child more then anything and will go through so much to have them and some never have that little baby to hold. Were's the justice in that? I know so many women who fought long and hard to have their kids. My MIL included back in the days before invitro. But people hurt and kill their kids. Sickening.
    Last edited by mickey&missy; 02-14-2008 at 07:51 PM. Reason: added something
    Melissa

4/87 offsite, 3/05 AKL, 10/06 WL, 3/08 GF, 1/09 WL, 3/09 Poly, 10/09 SSR, 1/10 AKV, 10/10 BLT, 12/10 AKV, 2/11 Poly, 5/11 BCV, 10/11 BLT, 12/11 WL, 5/12 1st Cruise on the Dream & BWV, 10/12 BLT!

"...That's the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up." Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Springs View Post
    I agree that we have some horrific parent/child news here at home, but I think it's apples & oranges. The post concerns ongoing practices by groups of people, in which human life takes a back-seat to radicalism. Tools of war, so to speak.
    Agreed. On one hand we have the cruelty of some "parents" here at home and on the other hand we have acts of genocide occurring in nations around the world.
    Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it - Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    I can't disagree, despicable things happen right here at home, as well as abroad. But it's not a competition. It's not about choosing one situation over another, it's all terrible. It all needs attention. And it's nothing new, bad stuff has happened all throughout history.
    I couldn't agree more. My 82 y.o. MIL (who lived through WWII in Berlin) says how bad things are getting in the world and she often watches the news (both local and cable) a lot. I said to her that there have always been bad things in the world throughout human history and that it's not getting worse, it's just that almost every bad act that happens locally, regionally, nationally and internationally now gets news coverage 24/7 and is replayed over and over again until the next big news story comes along. And it gets coverage because it is the exception and not the norm. Bad things happen everywhere, but that doesn't mean that everyone does bad things.

I also hate to watch the news anymore. And I agree with Ian that terrible things happen to children in this country every day, and usually by their parents or another person that they trust. Around Christmas there was the family in Washington state that was murdered by one of the daughters and her boyfriend - that was particularly tough to hear about, with what happened to the children.

Like I wrote in my earlier post, all that I can do when I hear about these types of terrible acts is to say a prayer for the victims and give thanks that my family is well.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mickey&missy View Post
    But, nothing makes me feel better like a hug, kiss and "I love you, Mommy." or a funny baby belly laugh!

You said it!
    Next Trip: 2008 (hoping and praying)
    POR-August 2007

Post Thanks / Like

I completely agree that what is going on in Kenya and other areas of Africa is sickening. This "weapon" is used systematically and intentionally against women and female children. In fact, these rebels/soldiers are instructed to use this weapon when invading villages. Of course, there are many consequences to this violence. Aside from the damage to reproductive organs and unintended pregnancies, many of the victims are then rejected by their husbands for being "ruined".

Amy
    "I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine. And he shall be my Squishy."

"Just keep swimming...just keep swimming...just keep swimming, swimming, swimming...What do we do, we...swim...swim"

Previous trips: Dolphin/ASMo, CBR, AKL, Pop, WL
    Upcoming trip: Spring Break at Pop

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    I don't disagree and I certainly wasn't trying to imply it was some kind of ghoulish competition.

But my motto has always been, "Get your own house in order before you worry about other people's houses."
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, Ian. At what point do we really have the right to go into other countries and tell them how to run things? I am absolutely sickened by all sorts of things going on all over the world, but until the USA is perfect, we can't logically tell other countries " the right way" to do things.
    Frequent WDW visitor since 1976!
    Laughter is timeless.Imagination has no age.And dreams are forever.....

Post Thanks / Like

While it obviously isn’t a “competition”, I believe your post is mis-guided in the sense that the original post comments on the poster’s reaction to a story about Kenya’s ethnic clashes.

Your post doesn’t add to this topic…. While both posts refer to violence against children, the topic of the initial post was of a global, social/political nature (religious even), while your post comments on the issue of parental abuse. ??? They are different things involving different circumstances, motivations, etc.

Further, I don’t think it’s at all fair to present the assumption that someone is “ignoring” anything that happens here simply by commenting on the goings on abroad.

I’m not impressed and I think you took away from the original topic.

P.S. - … and please don’t twist this into anything that even IMPLIES that I condone any type of violence against children in the US or anywhere in the world. It all truly saddens and horrifies me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneeRX View Post
    While it obviously isn’t a “competition”, I believe your post is mis-guided in the sense that the original post comments on the poster’s reaction to a story about Kenya’s ethnic clashes.

Your post doesn’t add to this topic…. While both posts refer to violence against children, the topic of the initial post was of a global, social/political nature (religious even), while your post comments on the issue of parental abuse. ??? They are different things involving different circumstances, motivations, etc.

Further, I don’t think it’s at all fair to present the assumption that someone is “ignoring” anything that happens here simply by commenting on the goings on abroad.

I’m not impressed and I think you took away from the original topic.

P.S. - … and please don’t twist this into anything that even IMPLIES that I condone any type of violence against children in the US or anywhere in the world. It all truly saddens and horrifies me.
    Wow, that's harsh. I think discussions on these boards do lead to other ideas and your post really wasn't completely about the topic, either, was it? I didn't know Ian was trying to impress you with his post, I think he was just giving his opinion, which he is certainly entitled to.
    Frequent WDW visitor since 1976!
    Laughter is timeless.Imagination has no age.And dreams are forever.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mickey&missy View Post
    Well said!

It truely breaks my heart and makes me physically sick to hear so many stories of people hurting their children. The story of the little girl in NYC who was abused, tortured and killed by her stepfather just absolutely tears me apart. When it first happened I couldn't even watch the news because it made me cry. How could someone do that? and how could her mother let it happen?
    But people hurt and kill their kids. Sickening.
    There was another really horrific child abuse case yesterday in NYC, this time in the Bronx. All because the girl was text-messaging a boy.
    Disney World: 10/92 Yacht Club, 11/96 Disney Institute, 12/00 Yacht Club, 6/05 Beach Club, 8/06 Shades of Green, 8/07 Caribbean Beach Resort, 10/07 Coronado Springs, 12/08 French Quarter, 3/10 All Star Sports, 4/12 Port Orleans Riverside

Disneyland: 1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbelle75 View Post
    I agree, Ian. At what point do we really have the right to go into other countries and tell them how to run things? I am absolutely sickened by all sorts of things going on all over the world, but until the USA is perfect, we can't logically tell other countries " the right way" to do things.
    The U.S., among other countries, is treaty-bound (and I would argue morally-bound) to intervene in cases of genocide. Although "genocide" and "ethnic cleansing" are virtually the same thing, it's just political word games because if deemed "ethnic cleansing," it is possible to dodge responsibility for helping end the violence. What I suspect the original poster was referring to has been used as a weapon of extermination for years, including targeting children. These acts are not new, but it is a relatively new phenomenon that certain countries CAN effectively act to help, but choose not to. THAT makes me

And as for helping children at home, many factions in the U.S. fail to help. Some schools have banned the "good touch, bad touch" education in elementary schools (or other education along those lines) because certain parents threw a fit. Funding for social services keeps getting cut, so abused kids are getting less care, both quantitatively and qualitatively. And instead of focusing on what would be true "family values" (e.g., protecting children from abuse, raising families out of poverty, helping victims of domestic violence), people throw fits over "hot button issues" such as gay teachers. The media focuses on "stranger danger" and ignores that, sadly, children are most in danger at their own homes.

My point is that the U.S. has a responsibility to those here and abroad and often fails at both. We need to work harder on both fronts, but the U.S. will never be perfect (nor will any other country) and waiting until we are perfect to intervene in cases such as genocide is misguided at best and an act of violence in itself at worst.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: