Quantcast "Forgetting" the tip on DDP - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

So, unless you're have 6 in your party when you go to a table-service restaurant, the tip could be an issue when you get ready to leave. Fortunately for me, my wife, and my family (about 11 of us in total for our planned trip in Sept), the times that we do eat a sit-down meal, the tip will already be included. Whenever we don't eat at one of those places, we tend to do the quick service spots like Roaring Forks or Cosmic Ray's pretty often.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

i can understand how removing the tip from the ddp has confused things.by having the tip included this meant i had to carry zero cash in the parks,major convience #1.my key to the world card and velcro pockets and i'm off and rockin.
    plus,isn't a tip "earned"?where else is the potential for a hard working ,pleasant waiter or waitress better than wdw?ALL of your customers are on vacation at disney for crying out loud and generally in a good mood.
    $$cha-ching$$.i love to be served pleasantly and show our appreciation for adding to our vacation happiness by tipping proportionatly.
    don't ask for a tip,earn it.but that's just me.
    my wife get's uncomfortable because i do scale back on the tip at the buffet's.
    the changes have us debating on doing the ddp this year or not,jury is still out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    The new system is confusing, and I understand the servers are living off tips. Honestly, I would have no problem if at the beginning of the meal, instead of the end, my server politely explained that on the 2008 Disney Dining Plan, gratuity is not included in the total bill. If it was approached tastefully and appropriately, I wouldn't find it unprofessional.
    That's my feeling as well. In the first year of a change from tip being included to no tip included (won't even go into the confusion of it is for some) a polite reminder of the change is not inappropriate.

The key is polite. When they ask you if you are on the DDP then it would be Ok to ask if you are aware of the changes in the plan. If you are, then they can stop at that point, if not then its just an explanation and good to know. I would be fine with that.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    That in itself is grounds for me not leaving one...
    Agree. When I go to restaurants here at home, they never ask how are you going to be tipping me. Seems like Disney needs to come up with a better form. Rather than a question, how about a statement towards the END of the meal. Just a suggestion. And my $.02
    Offsite...(12/97 & 10/99)
    DL...(10/02 & 5/05)
    CBR/Disney Wonder 2004, AllStar Music 2004, AKL 2006, POP 2006, POP 2007, Poly 2007, BWI 2007, WL 2008, CSR 2009, Poly 2009, CBR 2010, AKL 2011...

Post Thanks / Like

Default work for 2.60 and hour?

When I waited tables, we got $2.60 and hour and absolutely counted on the tips! Because this is a new policy, I think it is fair for them to remind patrons, but maybe there needs to be a better way, like in bold on the bill. I would never not tip a server who did their job.
    Jill

14 visits (WDW)
    Offsite: Caribe Royale,Best Western
    On: POFQ, CBR, BC, WL, Dolphin

Post Thanks / Like

First welcome WDWROX to intercot
    I agree with some of the above I also tip according to where I eat at a buffet where I'm getting mt food and they are mostly getting drinks and clearing table I generally tip less if they are doing it all and i'm just sitting and eating I tip more my thought if you work more you get more and if you are pleasant and with in reason propt with service ( depending on how busy of course) I feel you get more just my 2 cents
    1085.35 miles from Fort Wilderness
    92-Port
    93-Poly
    99-Fort
    00-Fort
    01-Fort
    02-Fort
    03-Fort
    04-Fort
    05-Fort
    06-Fort
    07-Fort
    oct. 08-Fort

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by FutureCorpsFan View Post
    Also, my brother and I have both noticed a decline in food quality in the past 7 years. We've been going regularly since 2000 and we both have felt like the quality of the food has changed considerabily in that time. I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying it's not the premier dining experiences we can remember from our early trips..
    I also agree with this point. The food has definitely gone down the past few years. It is a shame. While the food was not awful in most places it just was not the same. My DH was not happy with the way the food has declined while the cost has gone up.
    Princess 1 - 19yo
    Princess 2 - 12 yo (my baby is growing up)
    Poor Dad is out numbered! Even our dog is a female!
    Missing my happy place so much.

6/09,8/07,2/02,11/99 - Poly
    prev trips - Dixie Landings & CR
    Read my trip report for August 2007

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Jillirose View Post
    When I waited tables, we got $2.60 and hour and absolutely counted on the tips! Because this is a new policy, I think it is fair for them to remind patrons, but maybe there needs to be a better way, like in bold on the bill. I would never not tip a server who did their job.
    In my opinion, not only is it fair for the server to remind patrons, I think they'd be crazy not to. Sure, everyone responding here is aware of the new system, but I'd wager that a large percentage of the crowd is less familiar. Some no doubt would still believe the tip was include if not specifically reminded.

I know I'm in a very small minority here, but honestly I think a lot of folks are making mountains out of mole hills about this. I just don't see it as such a big deal as everyone seems to be making it, but then I'm not afraid to talk to the servers, or offended by having them talk to me. Maybe it's just about attitude.

Sure, the new system may not be the best, but they have to work within it. What choice do they have. And we all know what it is going in, so why are we so shocked by it. If you weren't on the DDP, and the server asked if you were charging your meal to your room, or using a credit card, or whatever, that wouldn't be a problem, you'd be expecting it. Likewise, before on the previous version of the DDP, if you bought drinks with you meal, or anything extra, they'd ask those questions, and it was no big deal. Well as it is now the tip is not included, so what choice do they really have but to ask how you want it handled. Would you rather they just assume? Maybe they could hire psychics as servers and could simply read your mind.

And then, for anyone to use that as a reason (or probably more like an excuse) to not tip at all, is just plain wrong. It's just in very bad taste, and to me totally not justified. Even if you insist on faulting the server for how this new system is implemented and consider their remind you to be bad behavior, well bad behavior does not justify more bad behavior on our part.

But that's just my opinion, and I know I'm in the minority on this.
    Marker from MO

Post Thanks / Like

Angry

Belive me they are not going to "forget" to remind you about the changes in tipping. With both our waitress at Ohana and Boma they took it to such a level that I'd call it out and out begging. As we were a party of 6 the 18% was a given and many times we left extra cash along with the 18% that we put on your room change. But no way was I going to give one cent more for these 2 who 3 times each told us that the 18% was just a suggested amount and that any amount over that could be left. And the first time we were so informed was before they even took drink orders when they asked if we were using any kind of dining plan and could they look at our room key to see which plan it was. I couldn't quite figure that out as there is a flat fee for dining at both of these places.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

Marker, I have to agree with you 100% on this issue.

I would NEVER....I mean NEVER NOT tip a server just because he/she "reminded" me or asked how I would like to pay the tip. NEVER.

I'm sure if the servers weren't getting stiffed by those who "forget" the tip, they wouldn't feel a need to remind people. And, if it's coming from management to do so, then by all means, remind me. No problem. It's really no big deal....at all.

We have the DDE, so we don't have to worry about tips anymore...they're included.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

Default 15, 18 20% of WHAT?

When WDW restaurants "kindly" calculate suggested gratuities what are they calculating on? The menu price of DDP items + all taxes is quite a chunk of money considering all of the taxes in play at WDW.

I think when tipping at WDW, guests should ask themselves question #3 - not just questions 1 & 2:
    1. Do I love Mickey?
    2. Am I glad to be on vacation?
    3. Did I just get good service?

I hope the server union that lobbied for this change gets a chance to regret it...

Post Thanks / Like

I don't mean to "resurrect" an older post, but I just wanted to give my two cents as a former WDW server.

When I worked as a server at Disney (still work for the Company, just not doing that) about two years ago, we had mandated "spiels" that we were required to say at each table. Most were drawn out and ineffective (like having to "tour" the menu for the guests, ugh). From what I've heard this is also the case with letting guests know about the lack of added grautity with the DDP. So please, by all means, don't take it out on the waitstraff--it's probably not their choice to say so.

Honestly many servers became somewhat lazy when they knew they were getting an added tip already, and many didn't like getting the DDP tips in their paycheck rather than cash, so I don't see it as a loss all around.

I do think, however, that it's awkward to have to run someone's credit card for a tip, then give them back the sheet to sign...how weird for both parties.
    Last edited by kai2234; 04-16-2008 at 08:44 AM. Reason: clarification
    Kelly
    Former
    WDW Cast Member :)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tarzan_rocks View Post
    Also, does anyone feel any different about the situation when it comes to free dining? I won't feel obligated to tip when I go in September. They enticed me back with the promise of free dining. I expect it to truly be free. If I feel the service merits a little extra something then I will acknowledge accordingly with a voluntary gratuity.

tr
    Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    I'm curious if it was billed as FREE DINING or FREE DISNEY DINING PLAN.
    The quote, directly from the Disney Visa email:
    FREE Disney Dining Plan with the purchase of this Magic Your Way Vacation package.
    <snip> ...Excludes gratuities and alcoholic beverages.
    So I'm guessing they "covered themselves" on that point.
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redandfuzzy View Post
    Honestly many servers became somewhat lazy when they knew they were getting an added tip already, and many didn't like getting the DDP tips in their paycheck rather than cash, so I don't see it as a loss all around.
    I've only used the DDP once and actually never had a problem with service. I found the service to actually be better. Our servers were very helpful and friendly.

I can see the issue with it being included in your paycheck. It's nice to leave at the end of your shift with the cash and if it's included in your paycheck.....you're paying taxes on all of that. There is no cheating the system that way.
    Go Nashville Predators!
    9/09 ASMo
    10/08 ASMu
    9/07 Caribbean Beach
    1/07 Marriott - family trip

9/06 Coronado Springs

09/03 Coronado Springs - Honeymoon
    10/99 Coronado Springs

06/96 Old Key West
    07/93 Beach Club
    12/91 Offsite - High School Trip

Post Thanks / Like

Default Free Dining Plan

All communication about the the August promotion includes "gratuity not included" and goes so far as to specify gratuity and appetizer not included.

So anyone who think "Free" means they don't have to tip is only looking for an excuse not to.

(Besides, does anyone really think anything at Walt Disney World is free?)

Post Thanks / Like

I have to stay away from this topic because as a waitress I get so mad hearing all the excuses people have for not leaving a tip. 90 percent of the excuses have nothing at all to do with service provided by the waitstaff. The fact that WDW are asking how you want to pay for the tip is not to be RUDE...if the only thing that is being paid for IS the tip they have to know if it is cash or if they need you to sign a slip when added to the roomkey so they are making less trips to the table....and if they don't ask and you decide to put it on the roomkey and the waitperson has to make another trip to get a slip for the tip I hope the tip is even more than the suggested 18 percent.

If you dont like tipping.. have a problem with tipping or how tips are handled the simple solution is do not eat at restaurants that require you to leave one.

Just a little note too... I clean up twice as many plates when I wait on my buffet tables than I do when I wait on my menu order tables. So leaving less on buffets just totally MAKES ME CRAZY. Not only do I clean off more plates...more of the plates have food I have to scrape off and I make far more trips to the table to clear those plates because dad eats faster than mom who eats slower than ds but faster than dd so I am clearing more plates at various times rather than all dinner plates at once (because most people dont order dessert AND appetizers off the menu... less plates and far less visits to the tables.)

Just 2 cents from a waitress who is fed up with the decline in proper tips due to the stress of the economy..... if you want to save a buck don't do it at the expense of waitstaff.. go to the dollar menu instead because we need to fill our gas tanks and buy a gallon of milk too!!

~Cheryl~

2x's as a child, 2003 - Music, 2005 - Pop, 2007 - Music (Sept.), 2007- Movies (SSW), 2008-Movies, 2008 - Movies (Nov), 2009 - Movies (June)

2010- March - not booked but going for youngests 7th birthday!!

Post Thanks / Like

So much for staying away from this topic huh LOL... Sorry

~Cheryl~

2x's as a child, 2003 - Music, 2005 - Pop, 2007 - Music (Sept.), 2007- Movies (SSW), 2008-Movies, 2008 - Movies (Nov), 2009 - Movies (June)

2010- March - not booked but going for youngests 7th birthday!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Buffets

Quote Originally Posted by cal5755 View Post
    ...do not eat at restaurants that require you to leave one...

... I clean up twice as many plates when I wait on my buffet tables...
    1. I didn't realize tips were required.

2. A server at a buffet may clean up more plates but they don't deliver plates. I like tipping but expecting 18% when the server eventually brings one round of beverages and plates stack up 'til we leave is excessive.

When I go out, I budget to tip (always in cash) and enjoy being generous. I like leaving a restaurant where I had great service and just tipped enough to have the server chase me outside to thank me...but nowadays more often than not, I get a surely waiter who hates her/his job and the customers and is counting down the days 'til s/he can move on to her/his "real" job and thinks the customers should all go eat at the dollar menu place.

That's a guest's 2 cents worth.

Post Thanks / Like

How does this affect the Premium and Platinum dining plans? In years past (2000) when we went on the Grand Plan (which I think is now called the Platinum plan) we could pick what every table service place we wanted and it was included. Do the credits and limitations to bev, entree and desserts as wells as the tip to those Premium and Platinum plans? Are the credits handled the same way meaning 1 credit for TS/2 credits for Character dining, etc? We loved being able to eat whereever we wanted and to not have to worry about a thing.

It was our honeymoon so we splurged, not that we plan on doing that type of extravigant trip again, but I'm just curious.
    Melissa

Disneyland - too many times to count
    Poly 2007
    3 day Cruise Wonder 2007
    4 day Cruise Wonder 2000-2001 (New Years Cruise) Honeymoon
    Beach Club 2000 Honeymoon
    Poly 98
    3 day Cruise Magic 98
    Tokyo Disneyland 1994

Post Thanks / Like

We plan to leave cash tips. This is something I have always done and normally we write cash in the tip line and total it out at the bottom. Is this possible to do this, that way the waiter(ess) gets the hint and there is no uncomfortable where's my tip?
    Yacht Club May 2015
    AoA Holiday 2013
    Pop Century May 2012, July 2011, May 2008, and May 2006
    All Star Music Sept 2007
    All Star Movies May 2006
    Many Trips as a Child Contemporary, Polynesian, Grand Floridian, Swan, Dolphin, and Board Walk

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: