Quantcast "Forgetting" the tip on DDP - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I for one, will not tip if asked about one. If I am asked how I want to pay for a tip, then, to me, it is assumed by the server. It may not be their fault, but it is rude to "beg" for money. I do the same when I go out locally. If I pay with a credit card and the server hovers over me to sign it, I simply put $0 in the tip and sign it. Then, I leave.

I feel sorry for anyone that has to be in this situation. They are the ones that will get shafted. What should be done is a place card on the table somewhere indicating that the tip is not included on the Dining Plan. I am not sure if they require a slip to be signed to debit a meal from the plan, but it would help, especially by indicating on the slip that the tip is not included. This gives you a chance to charge the tip back to the room and not put the server in an awkward position.

This is starting to remind me of a 3rd Rock from the Sun episode. John Lithgow is sitting at a table and puts the tip down as he sits. As the server dingles around, he takes money back from the tip until there is nothing there. The funny part is, tips used to be paid before a meal. Now, we pay at the end which leaves little incentive for good service.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    The new system is confusing, and I understand the servers are living off tips. Honestly, I would have no problem if at the beginning of the meal, instead of the end, my server politely explained that on the 2008 Disney Dining Plan, gratuity is not included in the total bill. If it was approached tastefully and appropriately, I wouldn't find it unprofessional.
    I agree completely! I wouldn't mind a server saying something about it at the beginning of the meal when they ask if we're on the dining plan. Just add something about the tip no longer being included along with the spiel about what menu items are/aren't included with the DDP, what courses are inlcuded with the DDP, etc. I wouldn't find that rude at all because they're already telling you about all the other stuff involved with the DDP. But if a server came back at the end of the meal and said "How would you like to pay for the tip?" I think I would be tempted to say, "I wouldn't." I sure hope they get this smoothed out a bit by May!
    Laura
    "Any wish is possible. All it takes is a little courage to set it free!" Jiminy Cricket
    25+ trips to WDW and counting! Stayed at: Poly, WL, Kidani, SSR, BLT, BCV, CSR, VB, POR, Jambo, OKW, CR, VGF & BW!
    Next Up: Nov 2017 - SSR!
    DVC Member & AP holder since 2008!

Post Thanks / Like

I worked as a server in college and DH is a chef, so we usually tip 20% at a minimum - more for really good service. However, I have left less when the service has been absolutely horrible. I will admit that I did stiff a waitress at Denny's once, but that was absolutely deserved, trust me! It was also the only time in my life I never left a tip at all.

I think I will just say that I am going to leave a cash tip if/when the subject comes up. When the slip is brought, I will write "cash" on the tip line and leave a cash tip on the table when we leave. I must say that if any server outright asks for a tip or implies a certain percentage, I will be very unhappy and uncomfortable!
    Amber
    3/08 - Coronado Springs
    12/08 - Coronado Springs
    5/09 - Beach Club
    9/09 - Caribbean Beach and Yacht Club
    2/10 - Yacht Club
    5/10 - Animal Kingdom Lodge and Polynesian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by laprana View Post
    I agree completely! I wouldn't mind a server saying something about it at the beginning of the meal when they ask if we're on the dining plan. Just add something about the tip no longer being included along with the spiel about what menu items are/aren't included with the DDP, what courses are inlcuded with the DDP, etc. I wouldn't find that rude at all because they're already telling you about all the other stuff involved with the DDP. But if a server came back at the end of the meal and said "How would you like to pay for the tip?" I think I would be tempted to say, "I wouldn't." I sure hope they get this smoothed out a bit by May!
    Exactly! The Disney Dining Plan is confusing, so it wouldn't be strange for a server to simply explain exactly what is included.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ljv1975 View Post
    I think I will just say that I am going to leave a cash tip if/when the subject comes up. When the slip is brought, I will write "cash" on the tip line and leave a cash tip on the table when we leave.
    I really like this idea. I re-did our dining budget last night, and the dining plan actually will still save us money this year, so I guess we're gonna stick w/ it. I'm disappointed that some of the ease of using the DDP is now gone, and I hope servers become a little more "polite" with the tip reminder before we go in August.
    "That’s the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up." ~Walt Disney

Disneyland 1987
    WDW 1992
    POFQ 6/25/01-7/1/01
    POP 6/26/06-7/1/06
    POP 8/4/08-8/9/08
    POR 8/5/09-8/12/09
    POR 10/27-10/31
    Next Trip- POR 6/23-6/28

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Jared that I wouldn't be offended by an explantion including the tip info before the meal.
    I also think that having cards on the table offering the new dining information is a great idea.

Am I understanding correctly what some people have said that when you are brought your bill now there is a suggested tip amount printed on the receipt?
    WHAT?? That is rude, presumptuous and insulting to:
    #1 suggest that I can't figure 20% of my bill
    and
    #2 assume that I am going to tip on of the suggested percentages

I haven't been overly concerned with the tip changes, I am not a stingy tipper, I actually tend to over tip, but "suggesting" a tip amount just seems so rude.
    Liz
    March 2006-POP!
    September 2007-POP!

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of restaurants print the suggested tips on the receipts. That didn't bother me at all. Neither did servers who asked me at the beginning of the meal if I was on the dining plan and then explaining to me how it works.

I avoided the awkwardness of how to tip by always ordering something over the DDP, like an adult beverage or an appetizer. Then it was no problem to hand the server my Key, get a receipt, fill in my tip amount and leave.
    12 trips to the World... next one: 10/29/12 for our Fairy Tale Wedding!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyChick View Post
    I avoided the awkwardness of how to tip by always ordering something over the DDP, like an adult beverage or an appetizer. Then it was no problem to hand the server my Key, get a receipt, fill in my tip amount and leave.
    Which would be considered an upsell, and Disney likes that! CHA-CHING!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyChick View Post
    A lot of restaurants print the suggested tips on the receipts. That didn't bother me at all. Neither did servers who asked me at the beginning of the meal if I was on the dining plan and then explaining to me how it works.
    Ruby Tuesday and other basic chain restaurants print suggest tips on the bottom of the bill, and I have absolutely no problem with that practice. It's easier than trying to calculate 15 percent in my head or with my cell phone calculator.

The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

I have a couple different angles to consider. Have we lost sight of the fact that the change in the Disney Dining Plan gratuity policy was a result of a contractual agreement between Disney and the Service Trades Council Union and not a unilateral decision by Disney brass? I don't wish for anyone to be stiffed on a tip, but if someone happens to forget or someone else doesn't like being asked for a tip...well they made their beds.

Also, does anyone feel any different about the situation when it comes to free dining? I won't feel obligated to tip when I go in September. They enticed me back with the promise of free dining. I expect it to truly be free. If I feel the service merits a little extra something then I will acknowledge accordingly with a voluntary gratuity.

tr

Post Thanks / Like

I am stunned to see that they are reminding people to tip. When I booked my trip for August and purchased the plan he was very clear the tip was no longer included.(The CSR did "forget" to tell me that the appetizer was no longer included) I asked him why and he didn't have an answer. I then proceeded to ask if it had to do with complaints from DDP customers that the service was poor. The last few trips we have had with the DDP the service was poor. I told him that I hoped this would improve the service at various restaurants. It's nice to get a refill once and awhile.They didn't seem to work as hard since the tip was already included. I am more then happy to tip great when the service is great. I like the freedom though to decide what I want to tip or if I want to tip. Don't get me wrong there has been one time where the service was terrible and we didn't tip. But normally we are great tippers. I am just worried about my DH. He gets easily upset with service issues and the reminding thing would drive him crazy where the tip would really suffer. All wait staff is different and things will get better if people voice their concerns to management.
    Minnie2002 Dec 91 Off Site Jan `02 ASM<br />May `02 CBR<br />Jan `03 WL<br />May '03 WL<br />Dec '03 AKL dec'04 WL May 04 August 04 POR WL August 05- Pop August 06 Pop 08 WL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    See to me this is really bad show having a waiter reminding you to leave a tip and asking how you would like to pay for it
    1) Agreed.
    2) Terribly "bad show".
    3) What is next ???
    . . . "if I serve better, how much tip will your leave"
    . . . "if you commit to a tip percentage, I can establish my service level"
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tarzan_rocks View Post
    Also, does anyone feel any different about the situation when it comes to free dining?

I'm curious if it was billed as FREE DINING or FREE DISNEY DINING PLAN. The words used are important and to me, if it was billed as FREE DISNEY DINING PLAN, then you are bound to the rules of the plan, which are gratuity is NOT included now. FREE DINING though I would see as free eats as you describe. I'm guesisng that Disney was smart enough to include those final two words which makes a world of difference. Woding on all literature/promotions is ALWAYS run through legal before it is used. The Internet community may refer to it as FREE DINING, but I'd be surprised if Disney did so.
    I won't feel obligated to tip when I go in September. They enticed me back with the promise of free dining. I expect it to truly be free. If I feel the service merits a little extra something then I will acknowledge accordingly with a voluntary gratuity.
    tr
    I feel bad for your servers if they are not getting a tip. I'm very much against a predetermined percentage automatically being added to a bill as gratuity, but I understand that gratuity is expected when an acceptable level of service is provided. If it's not included, then it's up to me. If it IS included, then I've already paid or it. In 2008, it's not included and therefore becomes my responsibility to tip appropriately.

And yes, it's POSSIBLE that I leave no tip, but that is based on the level of service. Poor service means poor tip. Acceptable service gets an acceptable tip.

Post Thanks / Like

Why do the Disney waiters / waitresses think they are any better than non-Disney waiters / waitresses who actually have to earn their tip ? I understand that they've been spoiled all these years but if you give good service, you get a good tip. Everybody has already been reminded by Disney when you get the DDP that the tip is not included !! About 5 times already.
    16 trips to "The World"

Last trip - April 2018 - Polynesian
    Next trip to WDW - December 2018 - Beach club

"Disneyworld will never be complete. It will continue to grow as long as there's imagination left in the world."

Post Thanks / Like

I was a bartender/wait and I cant imagine asking how a customer would like to pay for their tip...I just wonder if the managers of these restaurants know that they are doing this...I would hope that this will be addressed in each restaurant...There are ways to let the customer know that tip is not included with the DDP...Dont you think that it is on the receipt? If not then maybe there should be reminders in each place and on the receipt...Just until everyone gets the idea...Thats my opinion...
    Amy
    80 Camping șoș
    89 Offsite șoș
    05 ASM șoș
    06-07-08-09-10-10-11-12-13-14-15 POR șoș

Post Thanks / Like

That is just WRONG.. the waitstaff remind you that tips are not included with your DDP... what if meal and service were so bad you feel a tip isn't deserved. I have had bad service in WDW but using the DDP the tip was already included so I blew it off, but next year when we go if I have bad service, do I call over the manager and complain about it, I myself will cut the tip from 18% to 10 even 5 % for bad service.
    Dee

Amanda (Nikki) - HollyLynne - Jimmy - Me
    11/96 CB

Off to Disney 9/16/2003 - POR

Post Thanks / Like

I dont know about you but I dont ever feel pressured to leave a tip. If I get good service then I usually leave a very generous tip...however if I do not get good service I certainly do not feel pressured to do so. Actually at Le Cellier I didnt feel like received really great service so I think I only left her a couple bucks. Being from NYC we get our share of good and bad service...being at Disney good service is expected if not required.
    Mike D.

Coronado Springs: Aug 2008
    Pop Century: 2007
    Port Orleans French Quarter: 2006
    All Star Music: 2005
    Offsite: 1994

LETS GO YANKEES

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure we are done with the DDP. Since the plans inception we are finding that it's not worth the time you spend trying to get food, in restaurants you can't reservations for anyhow. So you struggle to try and get TS reservations to burn credits and if you can, they are at inconvenient times. On our last trip in December, the meal times were ranging between 1.5 to 3 hours to get served a TS. The 1.5 was the exception Most were in the 2-3 hour range for 6 people and two kids. That's time your not spending doing other things. Since most people can eat in less than a half-hour, that's a lot of time waisted. Plus in order to get the value out of the plan, you feel like you day is planned around where you could get reservations that day.

Also, my brother and I have both noticed a decline in food quality in the past 7 years. We've been going regularly since 2000 and we both have felt like the quality of the food has changed considerabily in that time. I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying it's not the premier dining experiences we can remember from our early trips..
    DVC Owner: BCV in 2002 & AKV in 2008
    18 visits home between 2000 and 2014
    Next up:
    AKV in September 2014
    BCV in December 2015

Post Thanks / Like

I have a couple different angles to consider. Have we lost sight of the fact that the change in the Disney Dining Plan gratuity policy was a result of a contractual agreement between Disney and the Service Trades Council Union and not a unilateral decision by Disney brass? I don't wish for anyone to be stiffed on a tip, but if someone happens to forget or someone else doesn't like being asked for a tip...well they made their beds.
    tr
    I thought I had read that this was not part of the new contract and that the union was not in support of taking away the tip on the plan. Can someone clarify (if only for my piece of mind)?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FutureCorpsFan View Post
    Also, my brother and I have both noticed a decline in food quality in the past 7 years. We've been going regularly since 2000 and we both have felt like the quality of the food has changed considerabily in that time. I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying it's not the premier dining experiences we can remember from our early trips..
    You got that right! There has been a huge difference in the quality and selection available at table service locations. What bugs me the most if that the menu is the same if you are paying cash or credits, so we all lose because of the dining plan.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: