Quantcast "Forgetting" the tip on DDP - Page 5

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Just curious, the $20 per meal that the new DDP is costing you must be more than tip. At 18% a $20 tip would result from a $111 meal, or $55.55 each. I'm sure it can be done, but that even seems high at Disney prices.

I'm guessing part of that tab may be from appetizers (optional) or drinks (optional).

I do feel your pain, I'd much rather have an appetizer than dessert. Under normal circumstances I'm much more likely to order a salad or a cup of soup than any dessert they have to offer. Although I expect there are plenty of folks who would much rather have the dessert and could not care less about the appetizer.

I know what the deal is going in. I know if I order soup I'm going to have to pay for it. Disappointed sure, but not mad. I know what to expect, it's no surprise, and for me it's just not worth getting "so angry" over. But that's just me.

Under normal circumstances the Dining Plan is an option and I'm fully aware of how it works before I make my decision whether to use it or not. I am using it in September because it's free. I did not use it in April. My choice to not use it was partly based on the fact that we were only staying 2 nights, and I was using some old (non-expired) park tickets, but partly because we decided to save the $$ and eat mostly counter service.
    Marker from MO

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    See to me this is really bad show having a waiter reminding you to leave a tip and asking how you would like to pay for it
    1) The instant that a server mentions a tip, their gratuity becomes zero.
    2) I won't be "reminded" or begged to leave a tip.
    3) When I leave, I do comment to the manager why there was no tip.
    4) I wouldn't want the server to think I am cheap.
    5) But, I want the server to know I am irritated.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DANAM View Post
    We plan to leave cash tips. This is something I have always done and normally we write cash in the tip line and total it out at the bottom. Is this possible to do this, that way the waiter(ess) gets the hint and there is no uncomfortable where's my tip?
    That's how we did things all last week and it worked out fine. In fact, we only bought cash with us (we rarely carry it) because we purchased the DDP and knew we'd need it for the tips, since they aren't included. The servers actually seemed grateful that we did it that way.

But I have to add, the service that we got from the servers this time around was much better than when the tip was included in the plan.

šOšprprincessšOš

WDW-75, 79, 89, 91, 98, 04: Offsite; 01: ASMs & CSR; 02: Dolphin; 03: GF & POR; 06: POFQ & BC; 08: WL; 09: CBR
    DL--97-98: AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
    1) The instant that a server mentions a tip, their gratuity becomes zero.
    2) I won't be "reminded" or begged to leave a tip.
    3) When I leave, I do comment to the manager why there was no tip.
    4) I wouldn't want the server to think I am cheap.
    5) But, I want the server to know I am irritated.
    So, you'll punish the server for doing what they are told to do (by mentioning the tipping situation) by giving them nothing for possibly fantastic service, all because you're irritated? Voice your displeasure with management over the ENTIRE dining plan issue, sure.....but don't shoot the messenger.

I just can't get my pants in a bunch over something as minor as this...guess I'm just very easy going.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

I am ok with paying a tip and I don't really mind a reminder that it is no longer included. What bothers me is that because we are a family of 6 (mom,dad,4 kids) we are automatically charged 18%. Because we have 4 kids we no longer have the option of the amount of the tip being "voluntary". Sure they will accept more but in order to go lower in the event we are not happy with service then it has to involve management. I think that is wrong. Also on our next trip, we are going in sept with free dining plan... Assuming we order no extra's we will be brought a bill at the end of our meal for the automatic 18% gratuity??!! Seems tacky to me.
    I am happy to tip well for good service but do not like being forced to tip well for less then good service.
    KSS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    and complaining bitterly to management about how ridiculously cumbersome and user-unfriendly the new system is. In fact, it's highly unlikely that the manager at every single sit-down restaurant we eat in next month won't get an earful from me.
    I agree! We'll be doing the DDPD in Oct. I plan on letting Disney know that I'm very unhappy about the inconvenience of the tip not being included.

Quote Originally Posted by brad192 View Post
    From the Merriam-Webster online dictionary:

gra·tu·ity
    Function: noun Inflected Form(s): plural gra·tu·ities : something given voluntarily or beyond obligation usually for some service; especially : tip
    Note the words voluntarily or beyond obligation. Nobody is ever required to leave a tip, but it's good form.
    The issue with the tipping is that it no longer works they way it did back in the day.

TIPS mean To Insure Prompt Service. It used to be payed at the beginning of the meal to guarantee that your drinks would be refilled and that your food would be served promptly.

Quote Originally Posted by mickeysmouse View Post
    will never do the dining plan again, its costing us $20 per sit down for 2 adults and $10 for buffets, with NO APPS, this is ridiculous. we were stuck with it because we previously had a dec trip planned but had to change dates last minute. I am so angry about this new plan I could scream (and have). Like we need the desserts?!?!!?!??!?1 UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Disney is making a killing by having altered the plan. For $1 less you have to pay the tip (roughly $20 for 2 adults) and you don't get an appetizer (about $10). So you don't save what you used to.

I really hope enough people complain that Disney adds them back in.
    Go Nashville Predators!
    9/09 ASMo
    10/08 ASMu
    9/07 Caribbean Beach
    1/07 Marriott - family trip

9/06 Coronado Springs

09/03 Coronado Springs - Honeymoon
    10/99 Coronado Springs

06/96 Old Key West
    07/93 Beach Club
    12/91 Offsite - High School Trip

Post Thanks / Like

Default No Tipping in OZ!

We don' tip in Australia. It's not how things work over here. Our waiters and waitresses are paid appropriately, Like a similar rate to retail staff. So the only time we would leave $10-$20 would be if they have done something outstanding, Like made a big deal out of a birthday, Or given us a spetacular table. It's NEVER expected, and very rare.
    Sooo, For people from Australia and other non-tipping countries it's very confusing. We had to learn who to tip, how much, It seems to be different amounts for cab's, restaurants, buffets, porters, concierge???? We have been to America 3 times in the last 4 years and it still confuses us and I'm sure costs us much more money than neccesary!
    Soooo, the suggested tip on the reciepts is great for us...
    But... I do not want to be reminded by my waiter, It is uncomfortable and rude!
    Little Disney Lovers

Post Thanks / Like

After reading all these posts I think it is best to just bring cash for the tips. I did a little math and figured out the average cost for a meal (not to difficult if you have spent any time looking over menus while planing your trip) and then the 18% for the tip. Then I threw in a little extra just in case. For the 2 of us I need only to bring around $100 for 6 nights. That really isn't so bad if you think about it. I know it costs more for bigger families but then you wanted to have kids right? Trips to WDW cost money, you plan for it so you can enjoy it without worrying about the cost. If you think it costs too much don't go there. If enough people stay away Disney will lower the cost. I really don't understand why everyone is so upset about this. Just my
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

Post Thanks / Like

We'll probably be bringing cash to use for tips on our upcoming trip, and I'm going to tell the server up front that I know the ddp does not include a tip. We'll tip according to service.

The server we had (or didn't have?) at Mama Melroses would not get a tip, or more likely would get a token to assure him that I did not forget to tip him, and I would not have to involve the manager this time. He took our orders, brought our drinks and spent the next hour and a half talking to two tables full of girls that were in our section. We grabbed another server to refill our drinks and someone else brought our food. Our original server brought the bill.

I understand that the servers rely on tips to supplement their income, and that's fine, but if they can't be bothered to do their job, they aren't getting a tip from me.
    2008 - Thanksgiving at WDW!
    2007 - Memorial week at Pop Century
    2007 - DH surprised me for our 10th at Pop
    2005 - CBR in August
    2004 - ASMo with my boys!
    1997 - CBR Honeymoon

Post Thanks / Like

[quote=bigbabyblues;1626218]
    The server we had (or didn't have?) at Mama Melroses would not get a tip, or more likely would get a token to assure him that I did not forget to tip him, and I would not have to involve the manager this time.
    .[/quote]

IMHO You should either speak to the server or the manager in a matter of fact way about his actions. Having been a server before (hopefully never that bad ) and working "in the biz" ( resturant business), the server will just blame you for being a lousy tipper.
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

A story in reference to the above posters:

Once when we had horrible service when we lived in San Diego, my husband brought the check up to the waiter while he was at another table and told him, "Your tip is a reflection of your service....not my wallet." --Best line EVER!

He then went to the manager and told him exactly what was wrong with the service (horrible...but I won't go into it). The manager tried to look at our bill (in 1990, it was over $150 for two 20- somethings), but my husband said, "NO...I don't want you to financially make up for it....just know how bad your waiter is...we won't be back for a long time."

I really felt that made a big difference for the waiter and the manager.

Just a funny story relating to tipping...and yes my husband and I both waited tables in college!

Post Thanks / Like

We are doing the DDP during our trip this June, but merely for convience sake. And I agree that a friendly reminder as I am seated as to the terms of the DDP is not, to me, out of line, but I still don't like it. By now, there has been more than enough discussion on too many different sites regarding the changes. And if you're new to it, you may not know the previous system anyway. If nothing else, you were more than likely reminded by the CM when you added the DDP to your package. It is after all stated everywhere that the TIP is no longer included.

The one thing that discourages me greatly is that we will be a party of 7-8 through out our trip. We will be a part of the mandatory 18%. That would be fine, except that only 3 of us are adults. All of the others are kids who tend to get subpar service because they have no control of the tip and are looked at as ones who "don't know any better," or "don't matter." The 18% also wouldn't bother me if we were all going to be seated at the same table all of he time. But we won't. There is only 1 resturant where we are guarenteed 1 table. All others we will be at 2 tables. I plan to mention this only because as I see it, we will be 2 parties.

Yes, when given the option, I will leave a cash tip. And I agree that a tip or gratuity should be given to those who go over and above what is expected and not merely for service alone, good or bad. When we (hopefully) go in August, I will leave cash, but it will only be 2 of us and will not be on the DDP.
    °O°Amy °O° DVC Member
    2011 Dec-Poly with the grandparents--whoo-hoo!!!
    2011 June-SSR!!!!!
    2008 Aug-Colbey&Gray's Birthday surprise-SSR/OKW
    2008 June-SSR
    2006 June-Port Orleans Riverside
    2004 Easter-CSR
    1988 May-Graduation
    1982 Offsite
    1980 Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Bus Driver View Post
    After reading all these posts I think it is best to just bring cash for the tips. I did a little math and figured out the average cost for a meal (not to difficult if you have spent any time looking over menus while planing your trip) and then the 18% for the tip. Then I threw in a little extra just in case. For the 2 of us I need only to bring around $100 for 6 nights. That really isn't so bad if you think about it. I know it costs more for bigger families but then you wanted to have kids right? Trips to WDW cost money, you plan for it so you can enjoy it without worrying about the cost. If you think it costs too much don't go there. If enough people stay away Disney will lower the cost. I really don't understand why everyone is so upset about this. Just my
    If the kids comment here was meant for my earlier post ....Yes I absolutly chose to have kids...all 4 of them and maybe more too. I can also afford to have them and meet all their needs and then some. THAT was not the point I was trying to make ...my point was why does having more kids obligate me to a tip that may not be deserved. As I stated earlierI have NO PROBLEM tipping and tipping well. My problem is a FORCED TIP that may NOT be deserved.
    KSS

Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Bus Driver View Post
    I don't recall anyone saying they couldn't afford to tip their waitstaff. The point being made is that a mandatory tip is not right. A waiter earns a tip by the type of service he offers. It should never be expected. Yes, they work for a lower wage as the tips supplement his earnings. But, ANYONE who works or has worked as a waiter/waitress knows that the tips make their income and treat their cusomers accordingly. We usually start a tip at 20%. It steadily goes down the longer we are in need of service without getting any. This is called incintive to be a great waiter. I believe we have become too ready to reward laziness and complacency in the name of being "fair". My DH works extremely hard and I refuse to give away his earnings to someone who isn't doing his/her job.
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site