Quantcast "Hearth" baby gate vs. regular gate

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question "Hearth" baby gate vs. regular gate

I've tried looking everywhere for some info about the difference between gates that go around a fireplace and plain old regular gates, so I thought I'd tap the infinite resource of Intercot. We have a gas stove fireplace and a one year old DD. We haven't turned on the stove since she's been mobile, but would like to. We have a great metal painted gate that bends and blocks the entrance to our stairway and I'm wondering if we could use something similar to block the fireplace. Is there a special coating on a "Hearth" gate (like from Kidco) that makes it safer than a plain old regular (cheaper) painted metal gate?
    Maggie
    DVC Member @ OKW & BCV

Mamma to DD's E and C
    CR 80
    POLY 84
    FW 91
    POFQ 04~Last trip w/Gramps
    POP 07~E's 1st Trip
    GF & SOG 08~(Not My)Disney Wedding
    POFQ 08~BIG Family Vacation
    POP 09~Just the Girls
    BCV 10~1 Night @WDW
    OKW GV 11~C's 1st Trip
    BLT/OKW 12~Surprise!

2014 OKW/?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We have three kids and have never blocked off the fireplace. But if you want to, definitely make sure it is something that can't tip over on her if it's not attached, that should work fine.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the concern may be that the gate might get too hot and be a burn hazard if touched. Perhaps the "special" gates are heat resistant?

Honestly, we don't have a fireplace, but my two kids (almost 2 and 3.5) are TERRIFIED of fires. Whenever we see one, like some restaurants have outside in a pit, they are freaked out by it! I suppose that is a good reaction, but keep in mind your baby may be scared by it (and, really, you don't want your baby being "comfortable" around fire too early in life). I'd maybe hold off on turning the fireplace on, except maybe after the baby is asleep.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Here's an idea - how about getting a Super Yard gate. Its the one that creates a "corral" in the shape of an octagon when its linked together. You can stretch it out pretty far with its not in its octagon shape, so maybe you can put a nice border around your FP with that.
    '00 - Boardwalk Villas
    '04 - Grand Floridian
    '08 - Polynesian
    '10 - Grand Floridian!!!

GO WHITE SOX!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure what your "stove fireplace" looks like but it does sound like there is greater risk of burn if there is exposed hot metal and no open flame.
    I've looked at kiddie corrals for the pups and My question would be does it take more space? We have gates up all around the house to contain puppies but I would be concerned about the distance needed to reduce the heat on a metal gate.
    I am familiar w/ federal regulations w/ children's clothing e.g. flammability (how long it comes in contact w/ the flame before it ignites) on a child's garment is longer than an adults garment.
    I know they are very strict so I imagine that there are features to protect the child from burns that supersede a regular gate.
    Is there a great difference in price or did you want to use the gate you have? I'm sure some protection is better than none and the greater the distance from the hottest point the better.
    Good luck with it. We don't have that problem around here too much.
    Next
    DD, DS @ AKV Dec 12 SSR 12-16

AKV Savannah 8/08
    ASMu my BD 4/08 w/ Angel & MrsSgtT
    SSR 10/07 BWV-12/06
    Pop-05 04 03 1st Nighters
    OKW-97 96 Poly- 89 87 86 CR:72
    Offsite:8xs FW:83 82 82 DL 67,68,71

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: