Quantcast HELP!!! Am I being completely unreasonable?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

View Poll Results: What is your advice?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Let DH and family watch the game at ESPN Zone - Cancel Les Chefs De France

30 29.13%
  • Let DH and family watch the first part of the game and then go to France for dinner

15 14.56%
  • Try to change the dinner reservation to lunch and let DH watch the game

41 39.81%
  • No game watching! You're in DISNEY!

17 16.50%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default HELP!!! Am I being completely unreasonable?

DH and I are going to WDW for a trip with his family next week. *YAY!* We leave on Saturday night, and our first big Disney day is on Sunday! I've taken charge of the planning and have all the reservations set. This trip has been in the works for over a year and we're all very excited - especially the in-laws who hardly ever get to see DD because they live on the other side of the country. Now, here is my dilemma:

DH and some of his family are big Chargers fans. DH mentioned something to me today about watching the game at ESPN Zone this Sunday while we're in Disney!!! I couldn't believe my ears...to want to watch football on our first real day in Disney when DH's parents rarely get to be with DD?? Plus, we have a reservation for Les Chefs De France at 5:40 which I would have to cancel - after making it six months ago!!! Am I being completely unreasonable for not understanding why DH has to watch football in the middle of Disney World? Help!
    See You Real Soon!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I understand his desire to watch the game. If my team was in it, I'd definitely want to watch as well. The Chargers don't go to the division championship game every year, and it's a big game against undefeated New England. I guess I'm with your hubby.

Post Thanks / Like

I voted to let him start it and leave early to get dinner at Les Chefs.

He's not gonna want to hear this, but the game will be more than decided after 2 quarters. The Chargers are beat up and are playing perhaps the best NFL team ever. Trust me - he's gonna want to leave early...
    Tom

DLR '76, '81-2x, '85-2x, '01, '03, '04, '05-2x, '07-3x All off-site

DLR '02 PPH
    DLR '07, '13 GCH
    DLR '08, '12 DLH
    DLR '09, '10 GCV
    WDW '82 Royal Plaza
    WDW '98 ASMu
    WDW '06 POR
    WDW '08 POP
    WDW '08, '09, '11 BWV
    WDW '14 OKW, DCL, BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Let him have dinner alone at ESPN and you keep your reservations. Don't let it ruin each other's day.

Now I say this as a woman who attended a Sunday night Chargers Home game against the Raiders while I was in labor with my first child. I finally left when the contractions got to 7 minutes apart. I went to the game after spending the day feeling the contractions, but felt I would rather time them at the game then at home.

This is a big game for the Chargers! If it was regular season....it would be different.

I bet I am alone in this advice from other woman, but the Chargers pulled out a big one yesterday!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kidsmom View Post
    I bet I am alone in this advice from other woman, but the Chargers pulled out a big one yesterday!
    Nope, I'm with ya, as I said above. Of course, I'm a sports fan. I can imagine some who wouldn't understand.

Post Thanks / Like

We've been there during Olympics and during World Cup soccor....The sports fans in our family were accomodated....usually, we don't spend the whole time together...

If DH and other fans in his family insist on watching the game, the rest of you can enjoy the planned meal....You would only be a short walk apart. The Game is scheduled to start at 3 PM EST....should be over by 7...About the time you would be finishing up at Chefs...Illuminations is at 9 that night....and MK closes at 11, with Extra Magic Hours after that....Let them have their game. After all, it will be their last change to cheer for the Chargers until next season! Go Pats!
    Next Visit-June 2013

75,80,81,82,99,02,03,05 CR
    83,85 FW (Cabins)
    84 Poly
    96, 04, 06, 07, 08, 10, 11 SoG
    99 WL
    2000 (Christmas) DL (POR)

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

He can't miss the game even though you are in Disney. If you make him go to dinner he will be distracted the whole time, or on his cell phone checking the score. This is coming from a woman. Try and make it a family thing and get a reservation at EPSN for the whole family.

Sorry but I say:
    Go Pats!!
    Aug 1974 Fort Wilderness
    Aug 1981 Fort Wilderness
    Oct 1986 Polynesian
    Oct 1992 Beach Club
    Aug 1998 All Star Sports & Wilderness Lodge
    Feb 1999 Grosvenor
    Aug 1999 Beach Club
    Aug 2002 Yacht Club
    Feb 2007 Old Key West
    Jan 2009 Old Key West
    Jan 2010 Boardwalk Villas

Post Thanks / Like

Let him watch the game. Would you really enjoy being with him for dinner knowing he really wants to be watching the game? As a previous poster stated, it's not the regular season.

I would take your DD and go to dinner. Plans on doing things that you know you really want to do. Your MIL might want to go too and you could end up having a nice girls night out.

Don't stress it. You'll be in Disney. Do what you'll enjoy.

8/11 CSR
    8/10 - Wilderness Lodge
    2009 CSR
    2009 Ft Wilderness Cabins
    2008 Polynesian
    2008 POR
    2007 CSR
    2007 OKW
    2006 CBR
    Many offsite trips...before kids

Post Thanks / Like

I voted "Let DH and family watch the game at ESPN Zone - Cancel Les Chefs De France"
    He will still be spending time with his family. Meals to me are not a big deal, just grab something to eat at ESPN Zone.
    2-18 May 2011 POFQ
    2-14 May 08 POFQ 20th Anniversary Amazing weather
    5 -21 Dec 07 POFQ Fabulous weather
    26 Apr-16 May 06 POFQ - AWESOME. 20 days SUNSHINE
    27 Apr-10 May 05 POFQ
    04-11 May 00 POFQ 1st Trip We're hooked!

Disneyland 12-19 August 09 Grand Californian - Amazing Place

Post Thanks / Like

I say let whoever wants to go and watch the game, go to watch the game. And whoever, wants to go to Chefs De France go there.

Speaking as someone who generally hates professional sports (long story lets just say I hold grudges for a really long time), I would be rather upset if I was forced to go to ESPN zone to watch the NFL.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, we've planned park time and meals around 3 Steeler games - regular season games, not even playoff games. I can fully understand why your DH would want to watch it - I would too and would be first in line at ESPN. I can also understand your reluctance to let him go - 10 years ago, I would have looked at my DH like he'd grown a 2nd head and given him a hard time if he'd have come up with something like this as I didn't like football when we met. I think you would all be much happier if you just let him go. Remember, he'll be spending an entire week on vacation with you - you don't want to make him miserable on the first day and possible set a bad tone for the rest of the trip - it's really only a few hours out of your day and you don't have to go with him if you don't want. Keep the ADR at Les Chef's and see who wants to go where. BTW, you can't make an ADR for ESPN - they don't take them.
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Do what you want..... let them do what they want....... Everyone is happy.........

I had these isues with family last june and I just said See....... Ya.......

BRET/TTFN
    DVC Member 7/04 Wilderness Lodge Villas 6-08 Saratoga Springs
    Next Trip 6-16
    Disney Cruise 6-16
    Disney World tons of times

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I would either split up and meet later or all eat at ESPN. Sorry, I'm not a huge sports fan but it is a BIG game and I'd let my DH watch it. Who knew they'd make the playoffs against the Pats!?! At least he's not requesting to stay home because a friend has tickets to the game!
    Kelly

4/98 Offsite
    11/03 Make a Wish Trip
    8/05, 4/07, 4/08, 4/09, 4/11, 4/12, 4/13, 4.14
    Sheraton Vistana Resort
    11/07 Hilton Grand Vacations Sea World

Next Trip: 04/15 Sheraton Vistana

Give the Gift of Life; Be an Organ Donor!!

Post Thanks / Like

I say let him watch! I'd go to dinner or visit a park without him and have just as much fun. Actually, if the Steelers were playing, I'd be watching the game, too.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I voted for changing it to lunch. I am going to be there and Chargers are my favorite team also. I changed all my plans for that day. ESPN Zone is where I will be. Go Chargers.
    Walt will always be my HERO.

1973 - 1999 Disneyland twice a month
    2003 June offsite WDW
    2004 & 2006 Dec. AK
    2007 Feb. PP Disneyland
    2008 Jan. All Star Movies
    2009 Jun. DLH Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Try to change the ressie. Let DH watch no matter what. Disney is nothing compared to ahving the team you love in the divisional championships or in the Superbowl. I bowed to family pressure and did not watch the Steelers win the Superbowl in 2006 while I was there on our first night. I still regret it. Our first Superbowl victory in 26 years and my memories are of bad food at Chef Mickeys.

This Pittsburgh girl is going to go and cry now......
    The only life I can think of that would be worse than being a special needs mom is not being one...

Poly (04), WL (06), BC (07), AoA (20)
    DL (74, 75, 83, 87, 98, 07, 09. 10)

Magical Journeys is the ONLY way to go!

Post Thanks / Like

I voted to change your reservation to lunch. As much as I would totally feel the same way you do, I would hate to have the whole vacation ruined over bad feelings from the first day. Best of luck.
    Upcoming:
    October 2013
    8 nights at Pop Century with Free Dining to celebrate DS turning 4 years old!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I would let him do his own thing that day....and you spend the day with the family or just yourself at Downtown Disney.

Let him live it up.....
    WDW is my happy place

Post Thanks / Like

It's a huge game for Chargers fans and while I would have agreed with you when I was younger, and my DH would have sacrificed to make me happy, I've learned since then to be more compromising and we're both truly happier. I would either change it to lunch or let the party split up for some of you to do the Chefs dinner and some of you to watch the game. If you change the dinner to lunch, you can all have the meal together and then you can split up to enjoy your first night at Disney while he watches the game.

I know it's Disney, but he may feel that there are other Disney trips and there's only one game like this. You don't want to be the reason he misses it should the Chargers actually (gasp) defeat the Pats. It will be one of those games football fans celebrate and talk about for years.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post

I know it's Disney, but he may feel that there are other Disney trips and there's only one game like this. You don't want to be the reason he misses it should the Chargers actually (gasp) defeat the Pats. It will be one of those games football fans celebrate and talk about for years.
    Sherri you took the words out of my mouth. This was pretty much exactly what I was going to say. But I am also a sports fan. You have no control over when your team makes the playoffs, but you do have control over when and what you do on your Disney trip. There will be other times to eat at Le Chefs, but there almost assuredly will never be another time that the Chargers go up against an undefeated Patriots team in the playoffs. Marriage is about sacrifices and I think this time around you have to sacrifice your desire to fine dine one night in favor of hubby's happiness.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: