Quantcast Disney-MGM Studios -> Disney's Hollywood Studios Transition Progress

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Disney-MGM Studios -> Disney's Hollywood Studios Transition Progress

2/25/08

The Earful Tower and the Animation Courtyard Arch continue to be in the process of being updated. See Ed's post below for a picture of the new Mickey image being painted on the Earful Tower.

Over the weekend, the first Disney's Hollywood Studios merchandise appeared. The park is currently offering a 2008 Disney's Hollywood Studios T-Shirt.

1/28/08

Signage updates appear to have spread to other locations around the resort prior to finishing all of the updates in and just outside of the park. While signage has been updated in places like along the Crescent Lake walking path to the park and some resort bus stops, signs like the featured attraction billboard outside the park entrance and the bus stop marquees at the park's bus depot have yet to be updated.

The Earful Tower continues to be slowly updated. After having the Disney-MGM Studios logo painted over, the black ears portion of the water tower has recently started to be re-painted with a fresh coat of black paint. It is expected that this work is in preparation for the addition of the Disney's Hollywood Studios moniker to be added.

According to recent reports, merchandise baring the new park's name has yet to appear. While Merchandising Cast at the park have yet to report a hard date on when they expect merchandise to appear, the general expectation is that it will be "soon".

1/7/08

The park has officially transitioned to the new Disney's Hollywood Studios name.

A new Park Entrance Marquee reading "Disney's Hollywood Studios" has been added to the park entrance. The marquee is in the same style and color scheme as the previous one.

Park information signs, park maps and times & events guides also now feature the new park name.

1/6/08

The "Disney-MGM Studios" Park Entrance Marquee has been removed.

12/31/07
    Name Change Rolling Out

by Scott Powers
    Orlando Sentinel's Tourism Central Florida
    December 31, 2007

The transformation of Walt Disney World’s third theme park into Disney’s Hollywood Studios already is visible though the park does not officially drop its old name Disney-MGM Studios until next Monday and the full transition should take months to complete.

Some signs with the old name already have been taken down or painted over, including the one featuring the MGM lion trademark and Mickey Mouse that adorned the archway between the park’s central courtyard and the Animation Courtyard. The Mickey ears water tower, essentially the park’s road sign for traffic approaching from the south, also was painted over last week.

New park maps and merchandise with the new logo should start appearing within a few days, a Disney spokesman said. New Disney’s Hollywood Studios signs should start going up Wednesday on and around the property, but some, including the water tower and the archway, will take weeks to complete.
    Across the resort, nearly 500 signs need to be changed, including more than 200 inside the Studios park. Others range from bus stop signs to medallion signs.

Disney announced the name change in August, saying the new name will better reflect the company’s determination to create a broader, updated image for the park, which opened in 1989. The change also, however, ends a rocky, litigious partnership that had developed between Disney and the Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc. film company.

The park’s new logo dumps MGM’s lion with Mickey Mouse, and replaces it with the torso, arms and head of Mickey Mouse, who is holding a filmmaker’s clapboard amid simple, brown lettering that gives the whole thing a retro-Hollywood look.
    12/21/07

In preparation of the park's change-over, Disney-MGM Studios has begun to remove all Disney-MGM signage. Earlier this week, the Disney-MGM marquee was removed from the Animation Courtyard Arch. More recently, the Disney-MGM logo on the Earful Tower has been painted over.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

The MGM name is everywhere!

My eyes hurt trying to find and remove all of the MGM references on this site.
    ¨¨*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PolyGirl40 View Post
    The MGM name is everywhere!

My eyes hurt trying to find and remove all of the MGM references on this site.
    Should be a search and replace function if you have server administration function....

I spent about a month doing something similar... changing a name everywhere that I could find it.

Then i found out about search and replace (substitution operator specifically) took 5 minutes to do the whole site....

Hope you can find something like that!
    Disneyland: many, MANY times!
    WDW:POR POFQ BWV WLV ASMu POLY

Am I a huge disney fan? YOU BETCHA! I blame it all on my parents! They are the one's that walked around Disneyland all day to induce labor! Yep, I've been going to Disneyland since the day before I was born!

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

**Update**

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

**Update**

Post Thanks / Like

Just looking at the pictures shocked me. It's crazy! I can't believe how much I noticed little details like what was written on everything. The archway back towards Voyage of the Little Mermaid was a big shocker to see as well as the water tower. This will take some getting used to.
    -Stacey

"There is a natural hootchy-kootchy motion to a goldfish.”

"To all who come to this happy place, welcome." -Walter Elias Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

**Update**

Post Thanks / Like

The sign outside the entrance on the road has been covered by a cheesy looking banner that say DHS.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I was really hoping to get some new DHS merch when we were there, but instead I got our photopass pics with the new logo, so that was ok.
    Upcoming trips to DL Hojo's Oct 19-25 and Pop Cen Dec 30 09-Jan 06 10

Pop Cen, Wilderness L, Disney Wonder, Coronado Spr Mar 8-16 09
    Pop Cen Dec 13-19 08 Jan 12-18 08 Sept 15-22 07 Jan 15-21 07 Sept 28-Oct 5 06 Aug 5-12 05
    All St Music Jan 6-11 05

Post Thanks / Like

Default Merchandise

Is DHS stuff availabe yet ? I was wondering, because obviously there would be a rush to buy it- BUT also there is old inventory to get rid of so i assume they are trying to sell out.
    Bryan

DVC since 02, Poly 89-90, Tokyo 98, CB 99, Swan 01, WL 06 ,08, 10, BLT 11, HHI 12, OKW 12-13, BC 03-05, 07-09, 11, 13,16 , 17
    Contemporary 05, 13, GC DLR 15, VeroBeach 16, AoA 16

"There's Blood on the saddle, and Blood all around...."Big Al-

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

There was a cool picture of the Earful Tower being repainted in the Sentinel a few days ago.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

As far as I know, they are still selling MGM merchandise and there really hasn't been any DHS items sold yet.
    ŴĐŴ∫âňăŧĭć aka David ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

All this change is useless because I'm still going to refer to the park as MGM

This may be a silly question but have they changed the MGM spiel on the bus to Hollywood Studios?
    Next WDW Trip: July 13 - 22, 2016 Wilderness Lodge

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow shining at the end of every day!"

"Let's Don't be Silly..." - The Mad Hatter

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

**Updated**

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigVonDrake View Post
    All this change is useless because I'm still going to refer to the park as MGM
    I know what you mean.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: